Author Topic: Things You Want To See In 2014  (Read 5374 times)

Offline Oni Kitsune

• Sailor Scout
Things You Want To See In 2014
« on: October 06, 2013, 07:04:56 pm »
Hello everyone!

As the new director of programming I want to hear what it is you, our attendees, want to see in the coming con year! Any idea is a good one, and I'm willing to hear all you have to say. But please bear in mind not everything can be done, and while all ideas are amazing, there are some constraints on our abilities.

Thank you so much for your time and creativity! I look forward to bringing you a spectacular year of programming!
Staff Titles

2008: Cosplay Staff
2010: Chibi Room Coordinator
2011: Chibi Room Coordinator/Assistant Vice Chair
2012: Assistant Vice Chair/Live Programming Manager
2013: Assistant Director of Programming
2014: Director of Programming

Offline BellDue

• Cabbit
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 07:59:51 am »
More culture panels!
There were some absolutely fascinating panels at Sakura-Con last year about symbolism in Miyazaki films and Japanese Ghost and Ghouls. The panels were hosted by a local professor. I would love to see more panels like this at Kumoricon!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Re: Things You Want To See In 2014
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 09:46:24 pm »
I second the cultural panels.
I also think some more sci fy panels would be great. My Little Pony too.
Does programming only deal with panels and main events? Cuz if so, I think some fresh new main events would be nice. Like maybe something that hasn't been done before.
And i don't know who has control over the Cosplay Contest, but that needs to be changed up. It really needs to be allowed for all cosplay, not just Asian cultured ones.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 12:16:33 pm »
And i don't know who has control over the Cosplay Contest, but that needs to be changed up. It really needs to be allowed for all cosplay, not just Asian cultured ones.
I second that too. There seems to be even an open hostility on the part of the contest staff towards non-Japanese costumes and it's really inappropriate. Last year (2012) there was an amazing group of warriors from an American video game (I forget exactly which one) that was in the cosplay contest and yet they were completely ineligible for anything despite the detailed hard work they clearly put into everything.
In addition to Japanese cultural panels (or maybe this would still be considered one), I'd like to see something on foreign influence on anime. I mean heck, Saiyuki is one of the most popular stories in anime and it's from China, and early anime was influenced by Disney and other early American animators.

Offline JadeRoseofChaos

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2014, 09:49:24 pm »

[/size]There seems to be even an open hostility on the part of the contest staff towards non-Japanese costumes and it's really inappropriate. Last year (2012) there was an amazing group of warriors from an American video game (I forget exactly which one) that was in the cosplay contest and yet they were completely ineligible for anything despite the detailed hard work they clearly put into everything.[/size]

That's absolutely terrible. I've never been to Kumoricon (or any other con for that matter), but if they're that strict, then they should either make it abundantly clear that non-Japanese costumes will NOT be accepted or simply modify the policy.

Also - and this is just a selfish, unrealistic dream - it would be awesome if you guys could book the Nerdcore-rap duo Duane and Brando for a live show. Their videogame song covers are fantastic.
http://duaneandbrando.com/

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 09:07:41 am »

[/size]There seems to be even an open hostility on the part of the contest staff towards non-Japanese costumes and it's really inappropriate. Last year (2012) there was an amazing group of warriors from an American video game (I forget exactly which one) that was in the cosplay contest and yet they were completely ineligible for anything despite the detailed hard work they clearly put into everything.[/size]

That's absolutely terrible. I've never been to Kumoricon (or any other con for that matter), but if they're that strict, then they should either make it abundantly clear that non-Japanese costumes will NOT be accepted or simply modify the policy.

Also - and this is just a selfish, unrealistic dream - it would be awesome if you guys could book the Nerdcore-rap duo Duane and Brando for a live show. Their videogame song covers are fantastic.
http://duaneandbrando.com/

Oh they have made it clear that non japanese cosplays arent allowed in the actual contest, but they let them join in the skits. But that's it. And in the skits, you aren't judged on you're hard work or your costume at all. It's extremely unfair.

Offline Sithicus

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »
(I posted this in another section of the forum as well but this seems to be a more appropriate place)

I would love to see Ally and Sally perform at Kumoricon!

Ally and Sally are twin idols who live in Canada who came to Sakura Con this last year to host a couple panels and give a performance. It was super fun and would be awesome to see them at Kumoricon. Maybe they would come perform if enough people are interested / their schedule allows for it. Check out their twitter here https://twitter.com/moe_twinstyle

I think it would be awesome to have an idol performance at Kumoricon ^^

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 02:38:30 pm »
I reeeealy hope this doesn't count as necro'ing

Turn-based-fighting-game LARP panels.  It would be nice to have an alternative to the much more physically intensive (translation: EXHAUSTING and hazardous to everybody's cosplays) "Boffer LARP" panels... :P

At previous Kumoricons I had pushed for something similar that I had dubbed "gijinka battles," (there are several dead threads in the forums to attest to this).  When I actually succeeded in actually getting my own panel... I flubbed it terribly  :( .
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)