Author Topic: 2016 AMV CONTEST PLAY LIST + WINNER'S --POSTED--  (Read 6612 times)

Offline 13Joe

• Cabbit
2016 AMV CONTEST PLAY LIST + WINNER'S --POSTED--
« on: September 19, 2016, 11:32:03 am »
Well folks,

We had 168 entries this year with so many great ones that we decided to add an 8th category.

Final Play List is at the bottom of this thread.

All Finalists have been mailed an email as of tonight (Sept 22nd).  If you received more then one email then it most likely means that you have more then one submission that were picked for the contest - OR I accidentally doubled up on your emails :o .
==================================================================

Hello editors!
This weekend was so incredible and without the videos from editors across the  globe, we would not be able to do any of this.   Here is our list of winners for Kumoricon's 2016 AMV Contest.   We had so many high quality videos — so much so that two AMVs did not show at the contest, but still received awards for their prowess.   We cannot thank you enough for such an exciting afternoon of AMV goodness!

Our contest this year was so close, and every video received at least one vote for the Best in Show award. In fact, our Best Halloween AMV ended up winning Best in Show as well!

In total, we are mailing 12 certificates and prizes to editors!

Here is the complete list of AMV WINNERS:
Find them all here --> Kumoricon AMV Contest Youtube Channel

AMV AWARD WINNERS 2016

BEST UPBEAT/DANCE
Hard-Knock Life - WhiteDex

BEST INTENSITY
Closer to Hell - xDieguitoAMV

BEST INSTRUMENTAL
Blithe and Bonny - UnluckyArtist

BEST COMEDY/PARODY
Scott Sterling MVF (Most Valuable Face) - Maboroshi Studio

BEST DRAMA
I'm Still Learning About Life - HiddenWhiteFang

BEST TRAILER
Paranoia Things - King Redeem

BEST MELTING POT
Ghibli Gave Me Something - bopoko

BEST HALLOWEEN
OH HELL NO: The Sensible Horror AMV – shorisquared

BEST IN SHOW
OH HELL NO: The Sensible Horror AMV – shorisquared

COORDINATOR'S CHOICE AWARD
Never Quite Enough - Tigrin

HONORABLE MENTION
SUKI DA!!! – StarTrinity009

TECHNICAL EFFECTS AWARD
Ghost Audition - lolligerjoj

Again, thank you so much to everyone who entered AMVs into our contest. We really look forward to seeing your entries next year! :D

===============================================================

Final Play List
Find them all here --> Kumoricon AMV Contest Youtube Channel

---UPBEAT_DANCE
01 Petaloso - AntaresHeart07
02 Beat O'clock - Strat
03 Hard-Knock Life - WhiteDex
04 Dance is MOVE - Galia & Kitty
05 Lone Cyborg X Lone Digger - Lingchi
06 Do Your Thing - HanZh

---INTENSITY
01 Geppu Dasu BOMB!!! - Rising Production
02 We Fall - WhiteDex
03 Every scar will be my throne - AntaresHeart07
04 WRYYY Gonna Find You - LC_Lapen
05 The Revenger - CacoVenom
06 Closer to hell - xDieguitoAMV

---INSTRUMENTAL
01 Ambush - Strat
02 Light - xDieguitoAMV
03 A Killer's Competition - Anime Mashup
04 Dawn Will Break Again - SaberAMVz
05 Blithe and Bonny - UnluckyArtist
06 Slice Slice Revolution – drewaconclusion

---COMEDY_PARODY
01 Scott Sterling MVF (Most Valuable Face) - Maboroshi Studio
02 Friendship! - joycescookie
03 Love Hurts - Rider4Z
04 JUST DO IT!!! ft. Shia LaBeouf - King Redeem
05 Dangodere - hamstar138
06 - In Digestion - drewaconclusion

---DRAMA
01 Evergreen - StarTrinity009 / PixelBlended Studios
02 I'm Still Learning About Life - HiddenWhiteFang
03 Broken Alone - Tribel
04 Rurouni Kenshin - Salamander
05 The World Could Always Use More Heroes - Yatta Dante
06 Never Quite Enough - Tigrin

---TRAILERS
01 Diebuster: A Gainax Story - shorisquared
02  Xenomorph - drewaconclusion
03 Baccano Squad - Rider4Z
04 Reform School Girls - Maboroshi Studio
05 Paranoia Things - King Redeem
06 Fate Zero Civil War - Ryan Tilp

---THE MELTING POT
01 Sanctuary - SliceofLife
02 Meet the witch - xDieguitoAMV
03 Yoku - Rising Production04 Ananun - Iren S.S.
05 Ghibli Gave Me Something - bopoko
06 Fireflies - AntaresHeart07

---BONUS THEME HALLOWEEN
01 Horror In Halloween Town – HiyoriAMVs
02 Fear Another Ghoul - Azukano
03 Evil Eye - Allegoriest
04 StraTerrexter - TritioAFB
05 OH HELL NO – shorisquared
06 Eternal Salvation - Rider4Z

+

Awards for:

Coordinator's Choice
Honorable Mention

Technical Effects
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 03:52:59 am by 13Joe »
--something profound--

Joe Mason
2017 AMV Coordinator
2016 AMV Coordinator
2015 AMV Coordinator

amv13joe@gmail.com

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2016 Categories & Play List
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 01:38:05 pm »
Great Job, everyone!!

Offline jeffry_fisher

• Cabbit
    • Liberating Digital Content
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 05:02:41 pm »
168 is a healthy number!

Since editors often submit multiple entries, I suggest that you note which entry(s) made the play list, as that info may influence which collaborators/mentors they invite.

Remember to also email regrets to editors who did not get any of their entries into the contest. We don't want to repeat past misunderstandings that came from lack of information.

What's the scheduled time-slot for the contest?
"People who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't"

Offline 13Joe

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 09:09:37 pm »
168 is a healthy number!

Since editors often submit multiple entries, I suggest that you note which entry(s) made the play list, as that info may influence which collaborators/mentors they invite.

Remember to also email regrets to editors who did not get any of their entries into the contest. We don't want to repeat past misunderstandings that came from lack of information.

What's the scheduled time-slot for the contest?

The final schedule for the Con has not been released and I am not in Programing so that would be something you would have to ask them.

I've already planned to email the editors that have entries in the Contest play list as stated, but will not be emailing every single person who submitted videos with a form letter telling them that they did not get into the contest as that is unrealistic (especially with the enourmous amount of people that entered this year) and unnecessary because if they haven't heard from me by the date given above then they did not make it into the contest.   

We will be playing as many of this years other entries as possible during the AfterShow and Overflow show (we had many hard choices to make with all of the great videos and even added an 8th category with our maximum number of entries in every category ;).

I'm not exactly sure what miscommunications have occurred in the past but since I have been the Coordinator I have been very clear with both the editors and staff, with no complaints, so I do not expect that to ever be an issue.   

Prinz Eugen was and is a great teacher/mentor/communicator and it is my goal to continue to provide the best AMV content in the most entertaining way possible for everyone at Kumoricon.

I have an amazing team I am working with and believe that the AMV fans will be extremely pleased with this years content, so keep an eye out for the schedule and updates in this sub-forum =).

I appreciate the suggestions and feedback as always!

Cheers,

Joe
--something profound--

Joe Mason
2017 AMV Coordinator
2016 AMV Coordinator
2015 AMV Coordinator

amv13joe@gmail.com

Offline Meowzrz24

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016, 06:26:10 am »
Judging by the large number of accepted AMVs, I'm now more optamistic mine might've gotten into the finals😆 But, still nervous to get the finalists results!!💦💦 (must keep up my patience😩😂)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016, 10:51:43 am »
13Joe:

You guys have it all down pat now, and you and your team is doing a top notch job.

Jeff: Typically the AMV team does not usually notify candidates when their works have *not* been chosen, unless that candidate makes a second inquiry. "What could I have done better" is better than "How come I wasn't selected, dammit!" and you can usually get some constructive criticism from the judges that the coordinator may be able to pass along. Once is a RARE while, a private notification can happen if someone from a little far from the con wants to decide whether or not to come to the con at all (fuel, hotel, meals, time) based on if his or her work(s) will actually make it up on the screen.

With 169 entries though, the judges end up in a position where even after dealing out all the 'okay, pretty good' entries, there are STILL 7-10 entries for 6 slots. NOW you are cutting to the quick: these are all GOOD, and actually WORLD-CLASS entries. But you gotta get to that six -
or whatever the limit is - in some other contests it could be total time allotted for the contest, or total duration of the category.
But those last cuts in the last round - hurt a little.

YOU GUYS ARE ALL GONNA HAVE A BLAST THIS YEAR!!!

- G

Offline 13Joe

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016, 08:36:33 pm »
I just finished emailing all Finalists a private message.

The Original Post has been updated to reflect that.

I DID NOT EMAIL the Judges, Honorable or Technical Effects recipients - y'all will just have to be surprised ;D .

So, if you did not receive an email from me labeled "Kumoricon" then we will be showing your video in the AfterShow or OverFlow Show.

As mentioned before, there was a large amount of VERY good AMV's that we had to make hard choices to cut from the Contest Play List to make it down to 6 per category - so if you did not make the play list, it does not mean your video was not good and everyone who submitted entries should be very proud of their work regardless.

A large THANK-YOU to all of the Editors for making this a wonderful year for AMV's!!!
--something profound--

Joe Mason
2017 AMV Coordinator
2016 AMV Coordinator
2015 AMV Coordinator

amv13joe@gmail.com

Offline 13Joe

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 08:40:10 pm »
IF you didn't receive a Finalist email and you will be attending Kumoricon, then please send me an email so I can make sure your video is played towards the beginning of the AfterShow and for extra instructions.

Thanks, again!
--something profound--

Joe Mason
2017 AMV Coordinator
2016 AMV Coordinator
2015 AMV Coordinator

amv13joe@gmail.com

Offline jeffry_fisher

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2016, 06:37:04 pm »

I'm not exactly sure what miscommunications have occurred in the past but since I have been the Coordinator I have been very clear with both the editors and staff, with no complaints...

I have no dog in this hunt, so I don't have a preference myself. I was just recalling an incident (and your response) posted almost exactly a year ago in this very forum:
https://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=19261.0

Offline 13Joe

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2016, 10:40:33 am »
Aye that was a misunderstanding, but i beleive I even quoted dates etc in my response as too how and when the finalists were posted (days before the event).

I have always replied to all editors that have submitted with a Good Luck in this years contest and will continue to do so.

One persons misinterpretation as to what that means was an annomily and not the norm.  Quote from said post "But since no one told me if I'd gotten in or not, I assumed I was."

My personal email is listed at the bottom of the rules page as well as in my signature here; when in doubt ask a question - I reply pretty fast.

The post you mention is why I took the couple of extra hours this year to make sure that everyone whom I could tell that they were finalists I did.  I do take any and all suggestions to heart, while working to incorporate as many of them as possible.

--something profound--

Joe Mason
2017 AMV Coordinator
2016 AMV Coordinator
2015 AMV Coordinator

amv13joe@gmail.com

Offline 13Joe

• Cabbit
Re: 2016 AMV Contest Categories & FINAL Play List POSTED
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2016, 10:55:07 am »
Final Play List Posted
--something profound--

Joe Mason
2017 AMV Coordinator
2016 AMV Coordinator
2015 AMV Coordinator

amv13joe@gmail.com

Offline jeffry_fisher

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2016, 12:42:35 pm »
Awesome contest! There were several AMV's I'd like to add to my collection. Are this years' entries available for download somewhere?

Category to add: Old School (cell-animated anime + audio at least as old). This category (under various definitions) produced some real gems over the years.

Category to expand: Upbeat/Dance could be split into separate Dance and upbeat categories (with "Upbeat" possibly becoming "Upbeat Instrumental"). I was impressed by the amazing timing coordination between music and movement in the dance AMVs. I'd like to see more of those.

Categories to consolidate or drop: Drama, melting pot and (in the presence of an "Upbeat" category) instrumental.

I may get flamed for saying this, but except for one melting-pot comedy, those 3 categories were an hour of mostly similar slow and sleepy AMVs that seemed to sap the energy from the room. Although some of our best past AMVs have come from the instrumental category, such gems were "upbeat" and would now fit the more recent upbeat category.

I don't know why, but a *lot* of AMV editors gravitate toward long, somnolent and depressing AMVs, often with a lot of crying. These may be cathartic to them (and exquisitely crafted AMVs on a technical basis), but they're a snooze-fest for the audience. Tastes may vary, but if you can't spurn the sleeping pills entirely, then I'd consolidate those 3 cats into at most one that should be followed immediately by intensity to wake people back up.

Offline miketrethewey

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2016, 02:30:46 pm »
I tried to find the best place to leave this and found here.

I attended AMV Iron Chef Live and enjoyed it very much. The format kept us engaged for the time of the competition and didn't become boring, in my opinion. I enjoyed the games and the audience participation AMVs (especially the one with Clap Your Hands, Count the Babes and Say the Color).

I also attended Anime According to AMVs. The format was well thought out and definitely met the title of the panel. There were many shows that I now have interest in seeing.

I do need to mention however that with the lack of cell signal and go-go-go speed of the presentation, it made it extremely difficult to note which shows I wanted to keep track of. If somehow there could be an overlay or title card for each AMV for the Anime According to AMVs so we know the topic as we're discussing it, I would have found that helpful.

You mentioned posting the set lists later after you were able to process them, please post them in a conspicuous location!

Thanks for the entertainment!
2004: Dressed as Captain N
2016: Dressed as Captain N

Offline jeffry_fisher

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2016, 11:55:28 pm »
I too attended "Anime According to AMVs", as well as the "AMV Comedy Hour" and the AMV awards show before the closing ceremonies. I am looking forward to the play lists so I can add some of those AMVs (especially comedy and trailers) to my collection. I'd also be interested in checking out comedy and trailers that didn't make it into the contest.

After seeing this year's winners, I must add several grains of salt to my earlier recommendations. Mine is just one opinion on what makes an entertaining contest. Very few of my votes made it to the podium, and the category winners were mostly AMVs that weren't even on my radar, so I may be way out of step with the rest of our audience. Tastes vary. That said, I was pleased by the tech effects and honorable mention; were they in the contest?

And I really really want to download the dance AMV that was A4. It is way outside my usual fave categories, but it clicked. It fit the category perfectly, and the timing (movement set to the beat) was exquisite throughout.

PS: Though it's not strictly about AMVs, another panel I want to see some day is "Everything I Think I Know About Japanese Culture, I Learned from Watching Anime!". We could discuss truths such as "Even one drop of rain can cause pneumonia in Japan" and "Half of all Japanese teens live without any adult supervision". Maybe there's an AMV to be made that illustrates such anime tropes.

Offline 13Joe

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2016, 02:07:19 pm »
I tried to find the best place to leave this and found here.

I attended AMV Iron Chef Live and enjoyed it very much. The format kept us engaged for the time of the competition and didn't become boring, in my opinion. I enjoyed the games and the audience participation AMVs (especially the one with Clap Your Hands, Count the Babes and Say the Color).

I also attended Anime According to AMVs. The format was well thought out and definitely met the title of the panel. There were many shows that I now have interest in seeing.

I do need to mention however that with the lack of cell signal and go-go-go speed of the presentation, it made it extremely difficult to note which shows I wanted to keep track of. If somehow there could be an overlay or title card for each AMV for the Anime According to AMVs so we know the topic as we're discussing it, I would have found that helpful.

You mentioned posting the set lists later after you were able to process them, please post them in a conspicuous location!

Thanks for the entertainment!

Thank-You, for taking the time to give such thoughtful and helpful comments on the AMV Event's you attended!!!

(And I loved the Nintendo Costume BTW! - I'm sure I forgot to say so with such a hectic weekend going 8) )

I will absolutely get those playlist's together and post them in a Thread in this Forum so they are easy to find.  (This may take a few weeks at most but I will not forget about them! ;) )

I look forward to seeing you next year and will do what I can to provide as much fresh new content as possible - our goal is repeat attendee's!!!

-Joe
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 02:07:56 pm by 13Joe »
--something profound--

Joe Mason
2017 AMV Coordinator
2016 AMV Coordinator
2015 AMV Coordinator

amv13joe@gmail.com

Offline jeffry_fisher

• Cabbit
Re: 2016 AMV CONTEST PLAY LIST + WINNER'S --POSTED--
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 05:30:20 pm »
I found "Dance is Move". This is not my usual AMV style, but it's so well done that I had to have it! Watch it again and tell me I'm crazy for voting it best in show   :o

PS: For those who admire Satoshi Kon and haven't already seen the commemorative AMV to his portfolio (entered in Kumoricon 2011):

Mad World

« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 05:47:46 pm by jeffry_fisher »

Offline jeffry_fisher

• Cabbit
Re: 2016 AMV CONTEST PLAY LIST + WINNER'S --POSTED--
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 10:42:38 am »
It looks like someone put together most of the contest playlist at Youtube

Offline MinetChan

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 07:52:01 pm »
I too attended "Anime According to AMVs", as well as the "AMV Comedy Hour" and the AMV awards show before the closing ceremonies. I am looking forward to the play lists so I can add some of those AMVs (especially comedy and trailers) to my collection. I'd also be interested in checking out comedy and trailers that didn't make it into the contest.

After seeing this year's winners, I must add several grains of salt to my earlier recommendations. Mine is just one opinion on what makes an entertaining contest. Very few of my votes made it to the podium, and the category winners were mostly AMVs that weren't even on my radar, so I may be way out of step with the rest of our audience. Tastes vary. That said, I was pleased by the tech effects and honorable mention; were they in the contest?

And I really really want to download the dance AMV that was A4. It is way outside my usual fave categories, but it clicked. It fit the category perfectly, and the timing (movement set to the beat) was exquisite throughout.

PS: Though it's not strictly about AMVs, another panel I want to see some day is "Everything I Think I Know About Japanese Culture, I Learned from Watching Anime!". We could discuss truths such as "Even one drop of rain can cause pneumonia in Japan" and "Half of all Japanese teens live without any adult supervision". Maybe there's an AMV to be made that illustrates such anime tropes.

Thank you for all of your input! We will definitely keep these suggestions in mind for next year. We also just created the Kumoricon AMV Contest Youtube Channel. We need to upload a few more AMVs, but the entire finalist playlist in up along with our intro videos! Enjoy! :)