Author Topic: Kumoricon '14 vs. '15  (Read 4313 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Kumoricon '14 vs. '15
« on: July 27, 2016, 06:18:53 pm »
Don't remember if I posted this or not, but since I wasn't at Kumoricon during the last two years and that it was four days instead of three, I was wondering which one you thought was better?

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
Re: Kumoricon '14 vs. '15
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:01:38 pm »
Three day feels more fleshed out with a convention of Kumoricon's size. If there were more big events, panels, and people then a four day would spread things out better.
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 07:56:26 pm »
A good friend of mine said 2011 was the best year for kumo.  but it was good to have a con that was a little bit longer than others.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 12:28:11 am »
Although I wasn't there the last two years, I have an impression that '14 was better compared to '15.
For one, it had a better guest list and I heard that it was in '15 when they put the vendors outdoors in tents.

Of the years I was there, in my opinion it was best in '13. They not only had a good number of guests, but a great set of guest panels and I felt the panel and autograph rooms, along with the dealer hall were formatted better as well.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2016, 10:35:34 pm »
I think the 4 day thing is good for a large con. I wish Sakuracon would do it, and I wish Kumoricon would be able to continue, but we can't have everything right lol
I feel like having that extra day would make things less stressful for us attendees.

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 11:07:56 am »
I do agree that 4 days that would work really  well for a large con, the only reason it does not happen might be  because of  funding.  If that where a case we could hold a fundraiser or something. An extra day would help vendors to sell more of their merch too.

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 01:00:06 am »
Regarding Sakura Con, I heard from a staffer that they don't do four days because it would make admission a lot more expensive.
Although I like the idea of conventions being four days, I think it works better for some than for others.
Anime Expo and Fanime have done well as 4-day events, but for other cons, it's better being three.
I remember people having mixed views when Kumoricon announced that it would go four days and I felt that it wasn't organized as well in its second year under that format.
I like anime conventions better when there are a lot of fan panels, but a good number of guest panels as well, and Kumoricon didn't deliver with the latter last year.
Before that, they were better with it, but last year, I felt it was a lot more lacking, both with number and variety.

I heard that there would be scheduling changes for this year, so hopefully there'll be a better number of guest panels this time while being more diverse as well.

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2016, 07:37:56 pm »
The day work at Kumoricon because of the  Labor Day Holiday.  The problem  with a four day  is many of us have to work Friday so things tend to be more slow. There also an issue with  having to pay a premium  for parking on a business day.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 03:20:19 pm »
I agree 4 day just doesn't mix well with *real life. 
 Not saying anime n cosplay isn't life but *by real life I mean job responsibilities  money, heck my kids therapy alone is only canceled for major holidays, going Berrien that n con would be hard.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 03:25:18 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 11:10:42 pm »
I agree 4 day just doesn't mix well with *real life. 
 Not saying anime n cosplay isn't life but *by real life I mean job responsibilities  money, heck my kids therapy alone is only canceled for major holidays, going Berrien that n con would be hard.
While I LOVE the whole 4 day thing they were doing before the move, I do have to say, it's a LOT nicer having money from working on wednesday..It's only one day, but that's a whole days worth of money just gone for most of us. Most of us....liek me..Who doesn't get much in the way of paid time off.