Author Topic: Soul Calibur 3!  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Soul Calibur 3!
« on: November 14, 2005, 04:26:59 am »
Has anybody played or bought this newest gem of a fighting game?

I got it this week. Let me tell you, I think this is going to hit the convention fighting game crowd just as strongly as the last one, if not even stronger. :D

The system itself hasn't changed much, but the characters have in many cases been completely reworked. For instance, Talim has most of the same moves, but the way you enter button input has been shuffled around a lot, and her stances and the ways you can chain her moves together have been totally revamped. It's a good thing. :)

All told, the game has 25 standard characters. There are other characters you can earn -- or create, by applying a move list template to a custom character -- but I highly suspect that SC3 tournaments will get into the habit of allowing only the standard 25.

~ Character spoilers after this point ~

SC3 is like a "greatest hits" edition of Soul Calibur. Only the core characters from previous games are returning, but that includes nearly all of the core characters. (And I'm not even mentioning the newbonus characters; those come later)

SC3 has three new core characters (four, if you count the obligatory "random fighting style" character). Neither Link, nor Heihachi, Spawn, or Necrid have returned. However, look who has returned as standard characters (meaning, selectable in story mode):

SE - Sophitia, Seong Mi-na, Taki, Mitsurugi, Rock, Cervantes, Voldo, Siegfried
SC1 - Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Maxi, Kilik, Xianghua, Astaroth, Lizardman, Ivy
SC2 - Talim, Raphael, Cassandra, Yung Seong
SC3 (new faces) - Setsuka, Tira, Zasalamel, Olcadan, Abyss

Additionally returning are Hwang, and Li Long. Yes, you heard it right, Li Long - the only mortal character ever to permanently "die" in the Soul series. Guess his death wasn't nearly as fatal as we thought. :D ...Unfortunately, both Li Long and Hwang as only selectable as "extra characters," and have no story mode to speak of. Poor Hwang... overshadowed by his beloved. Oh well: he still kicks serious ass.

In addition to Hwang and Li Long, there are a score of other "extra characters" who are new to the series but have no story to speak of. Rather, they appear in story mode, but have little to no explanation why they are there. These include - amusingly - the three maid-like shopkeepers who are otherwise only seen in the shop menus. Apparently they can fight as well as barter. ;)

Some characters you can earn or create will have identical move lists. That considered, I have personally encountered about 39 different move lists. Only 24 of these belong to the "standard character" selection.

I think I'll cut off my summary about here. So, let me end with a question for those of you who've bought and/or played the game:

For argument's sake, which characters do YOU think should be allowed in convention tournaments?

Personally, I think all "standard characters" should be fair game. Perhaps allow Hwang and Li Long as well. I don't want to play against custom characters, though, because their main advantage is probably going to be the unfamiliarity of their character models -- their movelists themselves are supposed to be slightly inferior. :P
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 06:18:34 am »
I had never played any of the soul calaber games I suck at combat and first person games and only do RPG and Stratagy on the PC.   Last week after D&D we sat around and the other guys played SC3 on a crazy huge 60 inch TV.  I kept asking them to go back and play this Guy or that gal (mostly the gals) so I could make mental Notes on the costumes and props.  They thought I was nuts when i told them why.  But i'm gonna try and make that one girls killer Hoola Hoop in metal and Foam (because it reminds me of russian Prop Gymnastics gone crazy), and the big guys huge hammer (just because i want a thin excuse to make a huge hammer).  I  had the ASSumption it woul be a hit with the cosplay crowd
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 02:16:24 pm »
I'm usually pretty exclusive to the RPG genre, too, but Soul Calibur is special. Someone showed me the series way back when there was only SoulBlade (or Soul Edge, for JP/arcade). I seemed to have a knack for it, and I got hooked.

It's completely different from the Capcom fighting game craze, and I love the non-cartoony weapon-fighting. ;) I don't really enjoy playing any other fighting series, especially the ones that focus on bare-handed fighting and ridiculous combo memorization.

The costumes are really great this time around. If cosplay is your goal, you should be happy with what you see. Not to mention, the color customization option gives you an excuse to make your costume any color you like. ;)

Apollo Justice

Offline Shinigami Ryuuku

• Sailor Scout
    • http://Violent-Hatred.deviantart.com
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 03:18:02 pm »
XD I created a ninja (( Joe Musashi from shinobi )) and I own with him ...it was awesome...*nod nod* then again I am also good with Mitsarugi...and we also created Oda Nobunaga XD that was fun too ^_^..we made alots o.o...even Dancers named Paco Pockett and Penut XDD

Offline Mushoku145

• Sailor Scout
    • http://www.myspace.com/mushoku
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 09:20:36 pm »
Yeah I got the game couple days after it was released. Been hooked on it since. I'm just kind of bummed at how cheap Zasamel can be >.>
Bamboo + Cellphone...I see possibilities....

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 09:25:53 pm »
For the love of.... ><

This just makes me want to get a Playstation 2 more and more.  I've only heard good things about this game and I'll definitely have to get a copy whenever I get a PS2.

Offline Vondan

• Bunnygirl
    • http://vondan.com
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 09:38:08 pm »
And they Hated when I would ask stuff like  

Does Zasamel hate smurfs to like his brother gargamel?
Field Marshall Von Dan

Comander and Chef:  The One Seventy Second Division
President:  DanCo Intergalactic Studios
CEO:  DanCo Interactive
Editor:  DanCo Press LTD
Chancellor:  The Project N.E.R.D.Y. foundation

http://vondan.com

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 08:13:59 am »
so yeah My bro got the game and I played it all weekend it is pretty fun I still love soul cal on the dreamcast the most
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
Soul Calibur 3!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 02:34:32 am »
Quote from: "Vondan"
And they Hated when I would ask stuff like  

Does Zasamel hate smurfs to like his brother gargamel?

XD

I'd wager to say that he does.

Quote from: "Waffles"
so yeah My bro got the game and I played it all weekend it is pretty fun I still love soul cal on the dreamcast the most

It certainly was the most improved edition of the game. Both over the original Soul Blade, and the arcade version of Soul Calibur. After seeing SC3 I don't think I'd say it's the best.

Besides, SC1 doesn't have Talim, and that's just inacceptable. :P

Apollo Justice