Author Topic: Horror: Why do we love to be scared?  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
Horror: Why do we love to be scared?
« on: April 30, 2016, 10:44:41 am »
Hey, everyone, ANimeman73 here. I thought I'd indulge us in a little bit of intellectually stimulating conversation here on the forums.

A few days ago I watched a rather terrifying Let's play of a rather gory and frightening horror/survival game called Outlast. A game I'm sure many of you anime fans who are gamers know well. Anime has carved a niche in many genres, horror is certainly no different. There are some good anime horror shows and movies out there. I've never seen any of them since I'm kind of chicken like that bawk, bawk, baaawk. But after talking with some friends about my experiences and calming down I got to thinking, what is it about horror that attracts us? Why do we love to be scared?  Those who are into anime Horror please feel free to offer up your thoughts. And also what got you into horror to begin with?

Let's have a great conversation about this, feel free to respond, let's go!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 05:39:19 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline ClancyCarlin

• Oni
Re: Horror: Why do we love to be scared?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 10:46:10 am »
I'd say that it's the excitement that comes with the suspense and the fact that we know for sure that we will "survive" whatever scary thing pops up.
It's like, you sort of get to feel the excitement or scary stress that comes with being in a dangerous situation, but without the actual risk of getting killed.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Horror: Why do we love to be scared?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 10:29:40 am »
Adrenaline.

A reminder of our mortality.

It beats boredom.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh