Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - Director of Operations 2016  (Read 3561 times)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Candidate Q&A - Director of Operations 2016
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:23 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2016 Director of Operations of Altonimbus Entertainment.

Please remember the following when participating in the Q&A threads. The normal forum code of conduct applies, except:

There is a partial exemption to the rule that forum discussion cannot be about a person. You may incorporate personal comments, including praise or criticism, into your election questions and answers, and ensuing discussion, but only regarding candidates who are running for a position, or about another person if it is directly entangled with an issue germane to the outcome of the election. In so doing, you must still exercise standard courtesy, and refrain from profanity, disruption of the discussion, excessive vitriol, and irrelevant comments. Please keep in mind that there will be an opportunity for spoken comments at the elections meeting.
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Re: Candidate Q&A - Director of Operations 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2015, 02:58:33 pm »
In most departments, the director does not need to be a subject matter expert; instead, the department needs to be led by a people-manager who hires subject matter experts.

What resources have you used to develop your managerial style?  What should your direct reports expect from you as a supervisor?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2015, 08:20:11 pm by kjayers »
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian

Offline Kerensky18

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 06:11:19 pm »
I've used a combination of on the job training and formal education on management to develop as a manager.

My direct reports can expect the following:
1) Communication- I try not to make decisions in a vacuum. If there is time to make a decision I'll solicit discussion and feedback from my managers when appropriate. If it is not timely to communicate with them, I will reach out to them and inform them of the decision and talk with them on how to implement change if required.

My assistant director is also always cc'ed on the director level mail incase I become unavailable he would have historical and current information.

2) Empowerment- I allow my managers to actually lead their departments while reporting to my assistant and I. If a role requires specific knowledge or skills (IT, Dispatch) I required the candidate to talk with the specific manager before hiring. The same policy was in place for coordinators of roles. This provides the managers with responsibility above that as a staffer and keeps them knowledgeable about people that work in their section. When I hired managers I included my assistant in each decision as well. If I'm forced to intervene and hire or remove a staffer then I'll let the manager know asap.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 09:38:20 pm »
Do you have plans to streamline the Lost & Found either at-con, or post-con?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Kerensky18

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 06:13:54 am »
Yes, there are new tools we can use to keep better track of the information including an Excel sheet that is pretty robust.

After con we could have the lost and found Facebook post up on day 3 so we can generate emails earlier.

A lot of this will also be dependent on the convention center and what they will allow us to do.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2015, 10:36:22 pm »

Two questions:

There are a lot of logistical hurdles and growing pains involved in moving to a new venue. What is your plan of action in regards to yoji, dispatch and other parts of operations in regards to a new venue?

On the topic of Yoji, while I think a whole lot of your guys and gals do great work, I heard a lot more complaints than I'd like about yoji being rude or worse to attendees. I feel this is a problem, as Yoji are public face #1 of Kumoricon. How do you intend to remedy yoji/attendee interactions?

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Kerensky18

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:28:17 am »
In moving to the convention center I agree that there will be a lot of changes in Operations. I can currently plan for a revamp of lost and found, clearer assignments for Yojimbo staff, and we (IT Manager and I) are speculating that IT will be easier with the infrastructure the convention center provides. Dispatch is an unknown at this point until we can review the policies and equipment that the convention center authorizes and owns. A lot of this will depend on walkthroughs that should begin this year. We also need to determine when and where we will need to use convention staff vs our volunteer staff.

I agree that Yojimbo are an important public facet of the convention but I believe it to be hyperbole that Yojimbo did worse this year then prior years as I've heard the opposite as well. However, it is important that as complaints arise they are addressed quickly and correctly. The first step will be further enhancing the training that Yojimbo staff receive and provide additional training to Coordinators and above so that they can further train their direct staff. The second is to better track complaints as they come through our office to understand the root-causes.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 06:30:29 am by Kerensky18 »