Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - Director of Infrastructure 2016  (Read 3092 times)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Candidate Q&A - Director of Infrastructure 2016
« on: September 10, 2015, 09:55:16 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2016 Director of Infrastructure of Altonimbus Entertainment.

Please remember the following when participating in the Q&A threads. The normal forum code of conduct applies, except:

There is a partial exemption to the rule that forum discussion cannot be about a person. You may incorporate personal comments, including praise or criticism, into your election questions and answers, and ensuing discussion, but only regarding candidates who are running for a position, or about another person if it is directly entangled with an issue germane to the outcome of the election. In so doing, you must still exercise standard courtesy, and refrain from profanity, disruption of the discussion, excessive vitriol, and irrelevant comments. Please keep in mind that there will be an opportunity for spoken comments at the elections meeting.
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian

Offline Kerensky18

• Cabbit
Re: Candidate Q&A - Director of Infrastructure 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 01:03:05 pm »
Hello,

These questions are to all current and future candidates for Director of Infrastructure.

We are moving to a new space for the 2016 convention year. How will you ensure that all contracts, facility walkthroughs  and other related issues are being completed both on time and accurately?

What, in your opinion, are the primary responsibilities of the Infrastructural Directorate?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 01:06:04 pm by Kerensky18 »

Offline Plunderbunny549

• Oni
Re: Candidate Q&A - Director of Infrastructure 2016
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 09:11:14 pm »
We are moving to a new space for the 2016 convention year. How will you ensure that all contracts, facility walkthroughs  and other related issues are being completed both on time and accurately?

Moving Kumoricon to a new venue for 2016 is going to be challenging, but we are fortunate to be working with the amazing folks at Travel Portland, who will be assisting with all the details that are necessary to ensure a successful event. For 2016, attendees will be able to reserve hotel rooms online using Passkey. This system is designed for monitoring multiple hotel contracts, reservations, and deadlines digitally, with reports being accessible by members of the Board, and our team with Travel Portland. In this way, there will be several “eyes” monitoring deadlines, which will help in completing necessary tasks on time. It also keeps our hotel contracts bundled together, which will lessen the likelihood of missing critical deadlines.

We also have a team of amazing people working with us at the Oregon Convention Center. It is their number one priority to assist us in delivering a quality event. I will be relying on their expertise, and using their established system of checklists and timelines, which will make completing tasks within the proper timeframe a straight-forward process that is easy to follow.

Another way that I am attempting to improve the timely completion of tasks is to create a “checklist” (visible to other board members) of mission critical items that must be completed, dates for completion, and additional resources that can be passed along to Board members, future Directors of Infrastructure, or Assistants. In this way, there will be a physical “job description” for the Infrastructure department, which helps in understanding what is required of the job, establishes a simple-to-follow checklist system similar to the ones that are used by other large events, and creates a physical document that can be reviewed, updated, refined, and monitored.

What, in your opinion, are the primary responsibilities of the Infrastructural Directorate?
I feel one of the primary responsibilities of this position is to be the liaison between each department and the venue, contractors, and necessary support staff. I found that the task I did most often in planning for Kumoricon 2015 was coordinating meetings with the venue and contractors as well as walk-throughs for Directors and Assistants. This made it possible for all the critical people to have the opportunity to give input, ask questions, and participate in the finalization of their most important details.

Another important responsibility of this position is coordinating with individual departments in ways that provide the opportunity to increase our high quality content. For example, I am working with relations staff to address the opportunity to provide invited guests with accommodations that will be special, inviting, and create incentive for bigger names to want to attend Kumoricon in the future.

Finally, I feel it is important to remain open to new ideas, and ready to take on different responsibilities as they are identified. Moving to a new venue is going to require flexibility, and a willingness to take on new tasks so that we can provide an outstanding event that retains the family feeling that keeps attendees returning to Kumoricon while providing interesting content to attract new attendees.