Author Topic: Kumoricon hotel survey  (Read 4975 times)

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
Kumoricon hotel survey
« on: September 07, 2015, 05:04:51 am »
Now that Kumoricon plans to move to Portland's convention center next year, I've got a few questions to ask.

1. Of all the times you've been to this convention, how many of its different locations have you been to which ones were they?
2. Of the different locations you have been to, what were your favorite and least favorite things about them and which one was your favorite overall?
3. What are your thoughts on Portland's convention center?

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
Re: Kumoricon hotel survey
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 04:19:45 pm »
I honestly think it's a mistake for staff to schedule Kumoricon in October.

That's right in the beginning of the school year for people, and because it doesn't fall on Labour Day weekend it's going to be tougher for people to take time off work. How does staff expect anyone to attend next year?

Also, it's going to be wet and rainy in October (it was wet all this weekend since it's September), it's terrible weather for cosplay photos...

And in Portland? Why?? The traffic will be impossible!

It's been wonderful in Vancouver, and I know that with the Red Lion hotel being out of commission makes things difficult - but, surely something else could be done?

I'm not shooting you, the messenger, down, I'm just listing the statistics here. O_o
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline Xella

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Crazy Shirt Lady
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 05:59:14 pm »
I disagree; I haven't been happy since the convention moved out of Oregon.  Being in Portland has so many advantages over being in Vancouver—for one thing, sales tax isn't a Thing™ on this side of the state line :P  I know that's a minor thing for a lot of people but as someone who tries for the AA each year, that's been a huge stressor for me.

I really enjoyed when the con was in Eugene, though more for personal reasons than con-related reasons (I was less independent back then and relied on convincing at least one of my parents to come with me for a weekend of stuff they ultimately didn't care much about, and Eugene has a branch of one of my father's favourite restaurants, haha).  I lived in California back then so it wasn't really a travel distance thing.

The nice thing about the Vancouver location for me was that there was a reasonably nice RV park within mostly-walking distance of the con—my father is big into RVing so I could often cadge a (mostly) free place to stay if I extended con weekend to include an additional couple days of "camping" before or after.  I'm not super familiar with the area of the city the new location's at (to be honest the only areas of Portland I'm familiar with are the IKEA and Fabric Depot, haha) but it'll definitely be nice to have more indoor space—I didn't even TRY to get into the AA this year once the announcement that it would be outside was made; if it had been a nice-weather weekend that could have been fine but selling outside is really not that fun for people whose main product can blow away in the wind (prints and paper).
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 05:59:34 pm by Xella »

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 06:04:53 pm »
THE ROSE CITY COMIC CON SHOULD BE IN OCTOBER!!!!!!!! EVERY YEAR I'VE BEEN TO KUMORICON, ITS BEEN ON LABOR DAY WEEKEND, SO I SAY THE DATE CHANGE F---ING SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 06:11:52 pm »
Valkyrie: Did the Vancouver Red Lion close or something? If so, that's frustrating.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 06:29:39 pm »
Valkyrie: Did the Vancouver Red Lion close or something? If so, that's frustrating.

It will, yes!

The Red Lion will close this Halloween due to a construction project near the Columbia river; it involves a second bridge and a new shopping center...
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 07:54:13 pm »
Oh my gosh. I'm sorry to hear that.
I liked that place.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 09:03:05 pm »
So K-con next year is going to be in October? Is there a solid weekend date? 
Weird, though not sure how it will work for everyone, my birthday is often during con, and con has often in past years eclipsed my birthday.
Tho my son's birthday is in October...anywho back on subject!

Now that Kumoricon plans to move to Portland's convention center next year, I've got a few questions to ask.
1. Of all the times you've been to this convention, how many of its different locations have you been to which ones were they?
2. Of the different locations you have been to, what were your favorite and least favorite things about them and which one was your favorite overall?
3. What are your thoughts on Portland's convention center?

1 ALL OF THEM HAHA!  From the first and only one in Eugene which for the record was THANKSGIVING WEEKEND, talk about holidays--to present day (all for the whole weekend except the last 2 cons. My fam was only able to go for a day and mostly spent time in the park due to family stuff)
so some of these were a long time ago so what I remember
2- 2003 Clarion Hotel, small hotel, I remember lack of food other then the terrible hotel food, it is more what you would expect from a mini con now6
 2004 Portland Marriott Downtown-bigger but con didn't have the whole place which meant mixing of non attendees (both a different convention and family reunion) were a hoot, I remember being in an elevator dressed as purple Link and with 3 other Links and after explaining the different games we were from to a really REALLY drunk lady who kept on about "what character are you, I KNOW your the same CHARACTER but What character are you" while drinking. Lots of elevator problems

2005 Doubletree Hotel Portland/Lloyd Center- I think this would be my favorite location, spacious, the park, and the mall with its plenty of food choices I liked it a lot, the rooms where a decent size, friendly staff.

2006 Red Lion on the River, *clarification due to a scheduling mistake we couldn't get a room there so we had a room at the oxford suites which was across the parking lot so much closer the this years 2 con hotels were, which was the best accident ever. Small main events,  Red lion was in general pretty unwelcoming to attendees, the dealers room closed early the last day for a wedding, I would say one of the least faves.  When I mentioned we got appitizers and free breakfast at our hotel other people told us how lucky we were to have stayed there.

2007 Vancouver Hilton & Convention Center, was okay, more on getting used to the area again, There was a novelty soda shop that was cool, just more the stigma of being out of Oregon this year was odd

2008 Double tree again, and yes I just really liked the space, its here where the question of "is it better to cap attendance and have a really good con vs a huge okay one?" just seemed like nice nooks and cranies to hang at.

2009 and 2010 Hilton Portland & Executive Tower Portland, also low on my list, crowds huge if in any limited space area, not really any good outdoor area.  Hotel rooms on the small, and the bathrooms didn't really vent well and had frosted glass doors, like a little privacy in the privy though across the street there was this hotel restaurant, so good!  Scallops the size of the palm of my hand.

2011-2012 Hilton and Red lion, we stayed at Hilton these years, nice staff, accommodating, these are the years the park space really became utilized and made a part of con.  We really didn't go much to the red lion except when the dealers hall was there.  And Oxfest 2012 for the first time :P lame when I saw one scolding her son for liking a cosplay, decent hotel room, HILTION POINTS!  I earned enough for a serving set!
http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Desserts-Miniature-Stanless-25-Piece/dp/B00944CRWM/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1441684025&sr=8-16&keywords=glass+appetizer+serving+set

2013-stayed at Red lion, One word LAME, when your kicked out of your hotel room, to fix the dripping wet ac-cicle and smelly room, and the only accommodation your offered was literally against the hotels fire code (we had a double and was offered a single people wise not allowed) and when not taking it the lady was all "I OFFERED you a different room!" rude unprofessional, while pregnant and caring for a sleeping child stuck in a busy lobby, no fond memories of that hotel at all. 

2014-2015 as said day trip for these, (kids and heavy life stuff), this year my son guy had a bunch of fun in the park making friends with anything with fur, puppies dogs, pokemon.  And everyone he went up to, cosplayers or otherwise, were polite, let him pet there dogs or  them if in costume or hold hands, really meant a lot to him, really nice treatment we don't always get in real life situation.

3-thoughts on convention center- Its closer to me so that's a plus, as being in Oregon.  I like a hotel base, its  but since I have been going for day stints not needed as much.  I am not sure how it will go with out a park or other area for photo shoots or general getting away from con space to breath.  I wonder about the cost as con tickets have gotten spendy.  I wonder how the food options are around there, as I haven't been to that space for a few years.  I wonder how it will be broken up
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 12:09:15 pm »
7001 Quality Inn, oh my god. 1 queen sized bed and enough room to waltz. We had a few issues with the size of the coffee pot and water pressure, and one light flickering with the lights off (just took out the lightbulbs). It really was fine. Especially the amount of space my group needed, this was wonderful in how we didn't feel like we were stepping on each other. The staff was really nice and the one day we had our linens changed, they touched nothing at all in the room except the bed, trashcans and towels. They even folded the blanket I brought from home that was on the bed!
The *only* huge issue we encountered was the mini fridge turning stuff into ice blocks.... clearly we have no intelligence on fixing a fridge lol

The shuttle was pretty good, though since we're the "first" stop, it takes over an hour to travel 15minutes in one of the directions, but it's understandable cause- shuttle.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 08:02:58 pm »
Okay I believe this is a sibject where I can most definitely put in my 50 bits.

I've been going to Kumoricon since 2006. I've always been a quiet one. But I've collected a few friends and you may sen me about. Well here are my opinions.

I didn't stay at the Jantzen Beach Red Lion in 2006 but from what I heard and saw they didn't treat the convention very well.

2007: My first time as a V.I.P. I wish I'd started taking pictures then. But The Vancouver Hilton hotel is most definitely one of my favorite hotels.

2008: The Double tree Hotel is also a favorite Hotel of mine. it's spacious and the staff are wonderful. The cookie on the bed doesn't hurt.

2009-2010: The Portland Hilton is a nice enough hotel but it's also kind of on the small side.

2011, 2012, 2013: I stayed at the Vancouver Hilton and I can't say enough good things about that hotel.

2014: Last year I made the mistake of getting cocky and ended up having to stay at the Econo Lodge in a room that was  a smoking room. I learned my lesson from that experience. Econo lodge is okay. But I prefer a nice roomy hotel room thank you.

2015: This year, fulfilling a promise to myself, I stayed at the Red Lion on the Quay Hotel. I personally found it to be a great hotel but there was a certain sadness about it like the Hotel was on it's last legs...which in a sense it is. A pity really but on well>

In conclusion for next year I've already started on that. I'm doing research into hotels and motels around the area and have already come up with a whole bunch of information if the staff of Kumoricon would ever be interesting in hearing this humble Animeman's thoughts, please PM  me if you are and I'll come up witha  list of the hotels and their locations. Also i found out that besides the eateries in the Convention Center there's also a Red Robin and Burgerville nearby. So we won't be starved in away, shape, or form. Well that's all from me. I hope I've helped.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.