Author Topic: Console Gaming Feedback 2015  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Shin Star

• Cabbit
Console Gaming Feedback 2015
« on: September 09, 2015, 03:11:54 am »
Not like this will truly matter since we are going to be bigger venue next year (finally), but I'd like to get feedback yet again for the gaming room this year. LAN was separate from us this time and apparently the Info Booth was not aware of that (tsk tsk.)

+ Rock Band setup that had close to 2000 songs, including some appropriate for the con
+Taiko no Tatsujin was more popular than it was back in 2013
+pop'n music still popular despite being downgraded
+Got to use the projector to showcase some fun games
+Two actual arcade DDR pads (complaint from last year, request fufilled this year :) )
+"Security Lock Down" PS3 makes a return
+There was actually a USFIV tournament this time (I think..)
+The "Island" was turned into a back corner

+Smash Bros 4 tournament was set up in an interesting manner
+A bunch of new games were available to play at the con (but sadly I don't think most people played them)

-Back at the Red Lion and space was actually smaller than 2013's (I love the Red Lion though)
-It got pretty hot at times, even with the two doors open
-Supposedly, the building got a new AC unit and it was running on full blast but I didn't feel anything
-Didn't even get to use the projector until the 3rd day and that was at night
-There was a lot of "empty space" in the middle but it was mainly for people watching tournaments (I think it worked out pretty well honestly)
-Stations seemed too close to each other (but maybe that's just me)
-Had some "new" stuff come in, but didn't get used due to space limitiations
-Taiko and pop'n got swapped after some noise complaints
-People hit the left most Taiko drum so hard that it was "out of order" for two days
-Some more of my stuff broke
-Staff wasn't allowed to enter tournaments this time
-DDR tournament at the last minute......literally.

Hopefully next year, they'll give us a lot more space...
If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
Re: Console Gaming Feedback 2015
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 03:31:01 pm »
Maybe prepare an SD card with project M so that it isn't reliant on people bringing it in to play it?

The osu setup was somewhat harder to play on because it was really hard to actually hear the songs clearly amidst all the ruckus. Maybe stick it in a corner near the less noisy games.

2013 Smash Bros. Brawl Champion
2014 League of Legends Top 4 Team
2015 League of Legends 3rd Place Team

Offline Shin Star

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2015, 03:37:24 pm »
Maybe prepare an SD card with project M so that it isn't reliant on people bringing it in to play it?

The osu setup was somewhat harder to play on because it was really hard to actually hear the songs clearly amidst all the ruckus. Maybe stick it in a corner near the less noisy games.
Project M still wanted over there? I remember that complaint from last year. Hmm...well I'm not sure I'm coming back next year, but I can probably hook someone up with that. I haven't actually tried it myself so it'd be a good time to learn.

The OSU set up was brought in by an attendee and I didn't even know who or how it got there until the last day. It was hard to really set anything up with the lack of space we had this year. If it's there next year, maybe a headphone option would work better? Or if the space is big enough next year, that won't be a problem.
If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 08:08:44 pm »
I don't know about headphones but I guess it could work out. I think it'd be pretty cool though if other people could hear the song you're playing too. In a couple instances I saw/met people who requested someone to play certain songs for them so I'm guessing it would be nice for others to hear the song as well, recognize it, and say "hey, I know that song" as they're passing by.

Offline Nayruenthusiast

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 06:06:57 pm »
The smash bros tournament was handled better this year than in previous years but it was weird that that it was single elim and one round. I understand why but results are better for the round if it's 2/3 and for the tournament if it's double. Also if it was double you can advance both the winner of winner's and loser's bracket to the finals heat for a slightly more interesting final heat. I also liked the prizes for each heat winner.
4th place SSBB Kumo 2013
Top 8 Sm4sh Newcon 2014
3rd place Sm4sh Kumo-Lite 2015

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2015, 09:37:46 pm »
If possible a Smash 4 doubles tournament would be really, really fun.

Offline Phanther

• Oni
    • Steam
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 12:52:10 pm »
+DDR setup was good. Keyboard with caps taken out and labels made sure no one could screw up the setup.

+Staff were friendly (when I went there at least).

-USF4 was running an older version of the game.