Author Topic: The Red Lion hotel SHUTS DOWN next year!!!  (Read 3592 times)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
The Red Lion hotel SHUTS DOWN next year!!!
« on: August 28, 2015, 03:13:40 pm »
According to OregonLive and Oregon Business (I'll provide links later, sorry, I'm on mobile right now), THe Red Lion Hotel over The Quay is planning to close down just after this coming Halloween.

This is due to plans for a construction project in the area to make it similar to the Pearl District, which is hoped to bring in more business. However, whenever the project is completed - which is estimated to finish anywhere from months to years after the initial start - it's hoped that the Red Lion WILL re-open.

I'm still in shock, and I'm really disappointed because the hotel is my favorite - it has the best view of the river and it's so close to the Hilton during the convention...

What will this mean for Kumoricon in the future?

The Red Lion will be out of commission, so, will the con be held solely at the Hilton in Vancouver or will it be moved to a different location??

In any case, be prepared to look up new hotel arrangements for future reference. :/
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline AnimeEncyclopedia

• Cabbit
Re: The Red Lion hotel SHUTS DOWN next year!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 03:52:41 pm »
if that is the case, i hope kumoricon will not be moved back to the hilton in portland. i had a lot of problems dealing with the hotel staff there.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 09:11:37 pm »
I heard about this.
I am no so sad as the one time I stayed there was horrible, and manager "helping" me were not helpful at all. (though glad you had a good experience) I do hope the general staff have luck finding new jobs in the area.

for next year, dare I think it, convention center?
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 09:27:21 pm »
Hopefully anything new on the site will have an actual handicapped entrance. A ramp is meaningless without an automatic door!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 09:57:47 pm »
If it's moved that's no big deal. If I have to stay in a much more expensive hotel, that WILL be a problem..The only reason I stay at this hotel is because I can't afford the hilton prices.

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 10:51:13 pm »
Well, this is kind of sad because the first location for kcon that I went to was also the first year it was at the current hilton + red lion.

I'm probably going out of state for college though so I don't think I'll be able to attend after this year, so at least I don't lose out too much.
2013 Smash Bros. Brawl Champion
2014 League of Legends Top 4 Team
2015 League of Legends 3rd Place Team