Author Topic: Parking recommendations?  (Read 3269 times)

Offline hobberzz

• Oni
    • Tumblr
Parking recommendations?
« on: March 26, 2015, 03:43:13 pm »
Heya! This'll be my third year attending Kumoricon, and my second year booking a hotel. Last year, my roomies and I shared a room at the Comfort Inn a fair few blocks away. I had been planning on driving back and forth, but I couldn't find any good parking, so we ended up walking back and forth between the con and our room. Which wasn't the most pleasant experience -- some of those roads look a bit too shady after dark.

This year, it looks like we're going to have to book a room with the same hotel, and that puts us in the same position as last year. And so I pose my question: is there any good parking closer to the convention that is open for con-goer use? Or, something I can get a parking pass for? I noticed a parking structure very close by last year, but every time I passed by it said it was full (either that, or I needed a monthly pass, I think?). I did check Google Maps a few minutes ago, and I saw another structure that I missed, but I'm wondering if it'll just be a situation like the other one. Other than that, all I remember is parallel parking on the street that was always full, and I'd prefer something that I can count on a little better. I'm open to any suggestions or recommendations! :<
THE LINE-UP
friday: TBD
saturday: TBD
sunday: TBD
monday: TBD

Offline RobinSena

• Sailor Scout
Re: Parking recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 07:57:01 am »
We did the park and drive thing a few years ago and it wasn't too bad.  There are a couple parking garages nearby, both of which have "general public" use spots in addition to offering monthly rates.  We were able to get spots every time we came, even when it was around noon and 1pm on a Saturday/Sunday.  The two closest ones were only a few blocks away, about the same distance as the Hilton from the Red Lion. 

You can see more info on the Vancouver parking page about which ones offer daily rates for the public:
http://www.cityofvancouver.us/ced/page/parking-downtown-street-and-street-options
http://www.cityofvancouver.us/sites/default/files/fileattachments/community_and_economic_development/page/11729/downtown_lots_and_garages_map_0115.pdf
and see some of them on Google maps:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/City+of+Vancouver:+Administration+and+Parks+%26+Recreation+Department/@45.6256048,-122.6733241,18z/data=!4m5!1m2!2m1!1sVancouver,+WA+parking!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x31a1be347bdbcb55
"Well, it's going to look pretty good then, isn't it?  The One Horseman and the Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse." Terry Pratchett

Offline hobberzz

• Oni
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:05:39 am »
Aaahhhhh, thank you so much! I'll definitely keep those in mind!

At this point, it looks like the hotels will be offering the shuttling again, so hopefully it'll be a good service to use -- if not, I'll always have my car as back-up. We'll see, hhahah.

I think I only ever checked one parking garage last year, and I could have very easily either missed the public parking part or came at bad times. That'd be my luck.
THE LINE-UP
friday: TBD
saturday: TBD
sunday: TBD
monday: TBD

Offline invader1337

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:22:14 pm »
This is the first time we are staying in the Hilton Hotel for the convention, and I'm still a bit unclear as to the parking. It looks like the Hilton charges $16/night for parking (and my group will need 2 vehicles, which seems pretty expensive).

The links RobinSena posted are very helpful for Vancouver parking, but what happens if you use a city parking garage and leave it over night? It seems like the garages close at night, so I'm not sure this would work very well.

Ideally we will park the cars and just leave them be for the whole convention, but if we need to go somewhere I don't want them to be in a parking garage I can't get into...

Would anyone be able to speak to that parking situation? I understand there's some street parking, but that's not ideal if we are leaving the cars there for the whole convention...
"I'm not gonna flush... Let them see the wrath of The Monarch!!"