Author Topic: 2015 Fan Fiction Contest: Rules  (Read 11080 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
2015 Fan Fiction Contest: Rules
« on: July 27, 2015, 09:25:15 pm »
The Kumoricon 2015 Fan Fiction Contest is now accepting submissions.

Rules
  • Stories must be based on characters and settings from any anime, manga, Japanese video game, or Japanese musical group. Stories based on cartoons, books, movies, or video games from other areas of the world may also be allowed as long as elements from Japanese culture are included. Two examples of this would be Avatar: The Last Airbender or Teen Titans, both of which have very heavy Japanese influences but were created in the United States. It will be at the discretion of the judges to decide whether an entry is eligible under these guidelines.
  • Crossovers are allowed.
  • Original characters are allowed, but must be within the setting of the chosen series/game/band and interacting with other fandom characters.
  • No completely original fiction will be accepted. Entries must be fan fiction.
  • Entries must be written by the person submitting them. No submissions will be accepted by proxy. All instances of plagiarism will result in disqualification from the contest and any future Fan Fiction Contests by Kumoricon.
  • Please have someone else proofread your entry. Judges may disqualify stories with extensive grammar and spelling errors.
  • Only stories rated K through M on the fiction rating system will be announced at Closing Ceremonies. Winning entries submitted under the 18+ category will be announced separately. https://www.fictionratings.com/ Materials that are not correctly rated will be disqualified.
  • Winning entries previously entered in any Kumoricon Fan Fiction Contests are not eligible. However, a previously entered entry that has not won first or second place may be entered again.
  • Only completed works are allowed to be entered.
Categories

Entries will be judged in the following categories:
  • Drama
  • Action
  • Humor
  • Romance
  • One-shot
  • Multi-chapter
  • Drabbles
  • 18+
  • Novel (100,000 words or more)
Judges reserve the right to combine or create more categories as they see fit, depending on number of entries received.
Winners will be announced during Closing Ceremonies.

Submission

• Hard copies in any category except Novel will be accepted at the convention, in the Programming Office on the 3rd floor, until midnight Saturday, September 5th. Hard copy entries under the "Novel" category will only be accepted until Friday, September 4th.
  • Entries should be single-spaced, with a line break between each paragraph.
  • Entrants must be present at Kumoricon 2015 to win.
Submissions should be attached to an email with the following information in the body of the email:

• Your real name
  • Your pen name (optional)
  • Your email address
  • The title of your entry
  • Rating
  • Word count
  • A brief summary of your entry
  • The title(s) of the Japanese anime/manga/etc. your entry is based on
  • Which categories (up to two) that you wish to submit your entry under
Send submissions to fanfiction@kumoricon.org.

Deadline

All emailed Novel entries (100,000 words or more) must be received by midnight on August 28th. Hard copies can only be submitted in person at the convention until Friday, September 4th.
All other entries (either emailed or brought in as a hard copy) must be received by midnight on Saturday, September 5th.

2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2015 Fan Fiction Contest: Rules
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 10:16:25 pm »
I sent two in and I hope you got them. One of them I goofed and didn't attach it so the info and the fic are in two different emails.

Also I was wondering about the "no past winners" thing--is that under the current system or at all? Because the format and judging have changed so vastly in the past few years, with Creation Station becoming an incredible clique, that it needs to be asked. Usually I wouldn't, but with those factors...

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015, 11:38:09 pm »
Yes, we did receive both of your fics, so no worries about that.

You are correct, there have been some changes since the days of Creation Station.  We are doing a rules reset - the "no past winners" clause applies to the current rule set.

Thank you for bringing it up so we could clarify.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:34:56 pm »
I'm going to miss participating in this contest.  :'( Ah, well, there's always next year. Have fun, you guys! <3

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Pugglemuggle

• Cabbit
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 05:38:15 pm »
I'm a little disappointed that the contest is being restricted to Japanese and Japanese-inspired fandoms this year, but I totally understand why! I guess I'll have to revisit some of my old fandoms from my anime days... :)

Also, just for clarification, are we allowed to submit only one entry, or are we allowed to submit multiple fanfics to the contest?

Thank you!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 07:55:36 pm »
Will the submitted stories be readable in the manga library? It'd be neat if they were.