Author Topic: We need more attention on fanfics!  (Read 3673 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
We need more attention on fanfics!
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:42:11 pm »
Why are fics usually the forgotten relative of art? It doesn't make sense. Like, why can we sell art and not fics? Why do we have display rooms for the art but we don't have our fics even in the manga library?

Offline TheInsecureTaco

• Cabbit
Re: We need more attention on fanfics!
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2015, 06:53:04 pm »
I believe the reason is that fan fiction is sort of recognized as "less official". Many people can write a fan fiction, not many people can draw well. Also, in my personal opinion illiterate people have almost ruined fan fictions for me. I just can't stand people's bad grammar. It would be nice for people to get more into fan fictions, but I personally wouldn't buy one unless it was exceptionally written and was similar to book length. But this is the reason people don't buy fan fictions: with art, you see the picture, you like it, you buy it. With fanfics, you don't really know what you are buying, the quality of it. You can't read it and then decide because, well, then you have already read it. I hope that fan fictions gain more popularity, but I don't see anybody buying them any time soon...

Offline CyberIncision

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 02:28:06 pm »
I remember hearing somewhere that most consider fanfiction illegal to sell. Don't quote me on that but that's just what I remember.

It also depends on what company. I've never read Homestuck, but I've heard the creator has said it's illegal for anyone to sell cosplays of it. You can make them but cannot get money for them... So it's probably too much gray area.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 03:24:51 pm »
So how about having them in the manga library? They wouldn't take up much space.

And Homestuck isn't really a fair example, because he banned selling ALL fan works.

Offline CyberIncision

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 02:52:22 pm »
It's a pretty fair example of how different owners and companies consider different things illegal. It varies from company to company and I think it's that variety that keeps them from selling it. Some may be ok with it, but then people would push for more and the owners of those might not be and it's too much tape and gray area. Its a lot easier to keep it all the same then figure every little piece out. Plus its my understanding that a vast majority do not allow fanfiction of their work to be sold.

I dont see any problem with them being in the manga library though.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 11:07:06 am »
Still I mean if fanart is sold then wouldn't fanfic be under the same fair use and distribution laws?

So, what do we do to get them in the manga library?