Author Topic: LGBT+ Panels (Accepted!)  (Read 4826 times)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
LGBT+ Panels (Accepted!)
« on: July 27, 2015, 12:17:17 pm »
Due to my original topic on this getting a little off topic, I decided to start a new one to keep this topic nice and clean. So, both of my panels were accepted. Schedule isn't finalized yet, but both the LGBT+ meet up and the Navigating Media panel are happening, which I'm super stoked for!

Navigating Media While LGBT+: 12-2pm, Friday (Day 1), in Panel 4 (Oak)
LGBT+ Meet Up: 2-4 pm, Sunday (Day 3), in Panel 4 (Oak)

NOW

What I'd love is some media that you guys would like to see talked about/discussed. I have a range from myself and my panelists (especially from the sister who is currently on summer break from work and has nothing better to do), but I know even our range of media can be really narrow. Because of this, I'd love to hear some suggestions!

NOTE: This panel is for all forms of media, not just anime/manga/Japanese works. Books, television, movies, web comics, graphic novels, general comics, whatever!

I'll be reviewing the works suggested to see if they'll fit in, and if I use your suggestion, your forum username will be listed on a thank you panel (I already have a few people who gave me good ideas in the prior forum post that will be mentioned).
« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 04:52:20 pm by dark4ever »
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: LGBT+ Panels (Accepted!)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 08:11:42 pm »
Something rather odd that I'd like to see talked about is Zangief from Street Fighter. He's been confirmed gay but it's rarely brought up (although it's not really something they actively AVOID--he's just not the sort to seek a relationship), and he was in Wreck-It Ralph, making him the first (confirmed) gay character in a Disney cartoon.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 05:18:41 pm »
Something rather odd that I'd like to see talked about is Zangief from Street Fighter. He's been confirmed gay but it's rarely brought up (although it's not really something they actively AVOID--he's just not the sort to seek a relationship), and he was in Wreck-It Ralph, making him the first (confirmed) gay character in a Disney cartoon.
You're kidding. That's such a bizarre... thing, I guess. I'm going to look into that, because now I'm horribly curious.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2015, 12:52:22 pm »
Something that COULD be interesting to discuss is Dumbledore from Harry Potter. Not necessarily the series itself, but this whole idea of announcing a character as gay after the series has ended, with really no proof/hints in the actual series. I think there could be controversy over whether it's good to have a matter-of-fact queer character (instead out a serious ABOUT queer characters), or could this simply be a way to slip yourself into the "ally" category as an author? I hope that makes sense.

Offline hawk222

• Chibi
    • Hawk222's tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 02:02:26 am »
How about Hourou Musuko? It's a cute little transgender series, and both the anime and manga are really fun but also really relatable.

Offline Michi-chan

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 10:43:48 am »
Something that COULD be interesting to discuss is Dumbledore from Harry Potter. Not necessarily the series itself, but this whole idea of announcing a character as gay after the series has ended, with really no proof/hints in the actual series. I think there could be controversy over whether it's good to have a matter-of-fact queer character (instead out a serious ABOUT queer characters), or could this simply be a way to slip yourself into the "ally" category as an author? I hope that makes sense.

I think discussing Dumbledore would be great! I'm a huge Harry Potter fan and I always thought it was interesting how it was "revealed". There's lots of POVs that could be discussed, as Vampirefangs103 mentioned. I think it's a cool idea :)
Kumoricon 2015:
Sailor Venus
....and...
TBA

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 11:18:59 pm »
That's also shown up in Mortal Kombat X. One of the new characters is gay, but it's so utterly unimportant that it's never even directly said in game and it took the creators of the game confirming that it's what he was implying in something. I don't even remember who it was since it was so unimportant to the game.

I feel like it's all individual. Certainly things like that COULD be done for "ally cookies", but I think assuming that about all of them is unreasonable. Especially when the story is something that wouldn't put all characters in a situation where going public with their sexualities is practical (and it's a double standard to demand that we know who's gay when we don't make the same demands of any other sexuality. Plus it shows that the audience defaults characters to straight and thus shows THEIR bias), or even when it's hinted at but could be written off as something else (Dumbledore's infatuation with what's-his-face, Wizard Hitler, the one he didn't act against. And then people say that there wasn't any evidence).

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 02:48:20 pm »
@VampireFangs103- We've got Harry Potter on the list, within the literature section. Right up there with Shakespeare and a discussion about the influx in lit with protags that aren't straight. Especially since this is an all ages panel- need stuff for the kiddos!

@Hawk222- Oh, yeah, my sister read the manga for the that and LOVED it. I've got it on my list of stuff to watch/read

@BlackjackGabbiani- The Mortal Kombat thing is so weird to me, but it brings up the idea of 'creator canon' versus 'real canon' and what that means. It plays into queer baiting vs. just can't do it. Also how the reason why ships that are queerbaiting are so popular is because people are desperate for representation in mass media (Johnlock and Destiel, two examples we won't be discussing due to people probably wanting to fight us about it, and this is about information, not discourse). After all, the big message of this panel is representation.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 04:32:26 pm »
Should probably get into when it's actual queerbaiting versus a standard shiptease too. There's a big difference between "it won't happen because they're gay" versus "it won't happen", end of sentence.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 04:48:02 pm »
Should probably get into when it's actual queerbaiting versus a standard shiptease too. There's a big difference between "it won't happen because they're gay" versus "it won't happen", end of sentence.
I always forget that shiptease is a word. Great point. Thank you!
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Pugglemuggle

• Cabbit
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2015, 06:40:59 pm »
One topic I see quite a lot is whether or not shows should explicitly state a character's sexuality. For example, is it better for a character to never directly state their sexuality so as to normalize it and make it a non-issue (The 100, Lost Girl), or is it more important to recognize sexual and gender identities with verbal confirmation (Orphan Black, Sense8)? I see this debate a lot in shows/books/etc with a lot of world-building.

Also, since I'm going to be running the Female Protagonists panel, I can offer a few suggestions of lesser-known shows with LGBT characters, if you want? I'm not sure how your panel will be formatted, but if this would be useful to you, I'm definitely more than happy to help! Just let me know. :)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 10:52:57 am »
One topic I see quite a lot is whether or not shows should explicitly state a character's sexuality. For example, is it better for a character to never directly state their sexuality so as to normalize it and make it a non-issue (The 100, Lost Girl), or is it more important to recognize sexual and gender identities with verbal confirmation (Orphan Black, Sense8)? I see this debate a lot in shows/books/etc with a lot of world-building.

Also, since I'm going to be running the Female Protagonists panel, I can offer a few suggestions of lesser-known shows with LGBT characters, if you want? I'm not sure how your panel will be formatted, but if this would be useful to you, I'm definitely more than happy to help! Just let me know. :)
We'll probably at least mention The 100 and Orphan Black, but our group member who watches those shows will be in Japan during the con, so we're a little lost on her >.> OITNB and Sense8 are both on the agenda, though not too heavily- they're mature rated shows, and this panel is PG

I'd love some suggestions for lesser known shows! What have you got?
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 03:06:46 pm »
Well, I earlier cited examples like Harry Potter and Mortal Kombat. Neither Dumbledore nor...what's his face I seriously can't remember I think he's the archer...have their sexualities addressed in canon, so people claimed it was a copout for "ally cookies". At the same time, characters really aren't required to have all that up front (I mean, we don't know the sexualities of a lot of characters in those series), and isn't it the fault of the audience for assuming they MUST be straight unless said otherwise?

Not that "ally cookies" don't exist, but the assumption that any non-straight character HAS to have their sexuality declared in canon or else it's a copout is...well, it's foolish.