Author Topic: 2015 Cosplay Contests  (Read 7134 times)

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
2015 Cosplay Contests
« on: April 27, 2015, 06:58:36 pm »
Hello and welcome to 2015! Here are our rules for this year. Please take a peek at them as they've been updated and some things changed.

Entry FormOnline entries are due by August 23, 2015 at 11:59pm or hand in to the Cosplay Coordinator at the convention.Eligibility
  • All participants must have a Kumoricon 2015 badge.
  • All participants must read and agree to follow all rules of the Cosplay Contest.
  • Costumes previously entered in a Kumoricon Cosplay Contest are ineligible.
  • By registering for the Cosplay contest, all participants agree to allow Kumoricon to use their images for promotional purposes, both photographs and video. Photographs of winning entries may be shown at the Kumoricon closing ceremonies.
  • All convention policies must be upheld during the entirety of the Cosplay competition. Anyone breaking Kumoricon rules will be disqualified and reported to Operations or Yojimbo.
  • Kumoricon regular staff may enter Cosplay contest as long as staff-related responsibilities are fulfilled.
  • Kumoricon Board members may not compete in the Cosplay contest.
  • How to Enter
  • Sign-up for the Kumoricon 2015 Cosplay competition begins after the rules have been posted to the Kumoricon website and an announcement has been made. To sign up, fill out the Cosplay Contest Entry Form once it has been made available on this page.
  • The deadline for entry forms to be received via email will be August 23, 2015 at 11:59pm. At-convention sign ups may be available should any open slots remain.
  • The total number of presentations that will be allowed this year will be 30 Skits and 30 Walk-Ons.
  • All entries are taken on a first come, first served basis. If all entry slots are full, there will be a waiting list for additional entrants who may be called in if anyone drops out or is disqualified.
  • Entrants are required to attend the Pre-Meeting, the Technical Rehearsal, and to show up at the requested time for the contest itself. Costume Construction judging is required if and only if an entrant has chosen to have costume construction judged. Entrants who miss any of these events may be disqualified. Please see the official Kumoricon schedule for times and locations of REQUIRED Cosplay Meetings and activities.
  • General Information
  • Kumoricon is a family friendly event. Content should not go beyond PG-13.
    • Offensive language of any kind is not allowed—no racial or sexual epithets; no profanity, etc.
    • No excessive violence.
    • No sexual activity or contact—real or implied.
    • All sexual jokes must have a non-sexual interpretation that is at least as obvious as the sexual one.
    • No nudity—ALL costumes must adhere to the official Kumoricon rules.
    • No yaoi, yuri, or hentai.
    • Be clever, not crass! If you think your costume or presentation might be too risqué or offensive, it probably is.
    • If you have a question about your content, please feel free to ask the Cosplay Staff if it is allowable.
    • You may surprise the audience, but never surprise the crew.
    • No fire, flame, smoke, fog, dry ice, wind machines, lasers, pressurized gases or liquids.
    • No messy substances—wet, dry, or oily—in the green room or on stage.
    • No jumping on or off stage—please use the officially designated stage entrances and exits.
    • Entrants must abide by the Convention weapons policy. All weapons must be peace bonded and approved. Pointing weapons at anyone not in your Cosplay group will not be tolerated. The Cosplay Coordinator must approve any actions involving weapons.
    • Contestants may not use stage time to make political, religious, insulting, or other demonstrations not related to their entry.
    • If for whatever reason one contestant is removed from competition for any violation the entire group may be disqualified as well depending on the situation.
    • All decisions made by the Cosplay Coordinator or Programming Director are final and may only be changed by a formal challenge though Programming.
    • You must have some kind of foot covering. Shoes or boots are required. Be aware of safety concerns. If your character does not wear shoes the lack of accuracy will be forgiven; consider flesh-toned or clear shoes.
    Judging"Performance" and "Costume" judging are entirely separate. There is a judging panel for Performance and a judging panel for Costume construction. Each panel selects and grants its own awards. Costume construction judging is not required, and the decisions and deliberations of the Costume construction judging panel have no influence on the Performance judging panel, or vice versa.
  • All entrants will have a performance—either a walk-on, a traditional skit or dance skit.
  • Each contestant will appear in only one stage performance.
  • Entrants may enter in different Performance and Costume Construction categories.
  • The judges are free to give as many or as few awards as they choose.
  • Performance
  • Performance will be judged based on the performance of the whole group.
  • Performance awards are granted to the entries that have shown excellent stage presentation.
  • There are 3 types of Performances:
    • Regular skit – Traditional skits in which the main activities include characters talking to each other and acting out a scene. Duration may be up to 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
    • Dance skit – Skits in which most of the performance is dancing. Duration may be up to 3 minutes and 30 seconds.
    • Walk-on – Quick presentation consisting of a few poses intended to show off a costume. This is required for Costume Construction judging only. Duration may be up to 45 seconds.
    • Costumes not entered in the Construction judging do not have to be self-made. See below for Costume Construction requirements.
    • Pre-recorded music and dialogue are preferred and strongly encouraged, but not required.
      • Do not submit valuable original CDs. Bring backup copies of your audio on CD or USB thumb drive to ensure it's not lost. Kumoricon is not responsible for damage to or loss of CDs or any other media.
      • Include your group name and skit title in the filename of the MP3 sent in.
      • Clearly label your back-up CD with group name and Skit Title.
      • One track on CD or USB is preferred; we cannot change tracks or start in the middle of a track.
      • CD music and dialogue must be clear to hear. The preferred encoding is MP3 format, 128 kbps, 44.1 Khz.
      • We will not play or rip music off portable MP3 players, such as iPods or cell phones.
    • Leave the stage as clean as it was when you set foot on it. Arrange to remove all items you brought on stage at the end of your presentation. If you have a particularly intricate presentation, we recommend you recruit your own stage ninjas.
    • No entry may be a repeat of an entry from any previous competition at Kumoricon.
    • Don't plan for complex lighting. The default lighting cue is: lights go up, music starts, you come on at stage right, you leave on stage left, music stops, lights go down. If you desire anything other than default lighting or music cues, discuss it with the Cosplay Coordinator before the convention.
    • A group should compete in the skill division of the group's most experienced member. If in a group and all participants are Novice, but one participant is Master, the group must compete in the Master Division (as no one may compete in a Division lower than their own). You cannot compete lower than any Division award you have won.
    Costume Construction
  • The Costume construction awards are based on the following factors:
    • Adaptation:
      • Representation of your costume to the character design.
      • Skill in scale and body fit adaptation.
      • Resemblance to character shown in documentation
      • Overall Construction:
        • Use of materials, construction methods and durability.
        • Use of appropriate or innovative methods and applications.
      • Extra points may be awarded at the Judges' discretion for construction done above and beyond the normal effort expected for a costume.
    • All entrants will participate in the performance portion either in a skit or a walk-on.
    • All costumes from all genres and media are accepted for Kumoricon's Cosplay Contest, including original designs as a separate category.
    • Multiple costumes made by the same person may be entered so long as each costume is on a different body.
    • Reference pictures will be required. This includes screen captures, posters, or any other official media that reveals the character's full costume. The pictures should reveal different views of the character (i.e. front, back, sides). Do not assume judges know your costume or character! You will be required to bring reference pictures to judging.
    • Commissioned, purchased, rented, or commercially made costumes will not be allowed to enter the Costume Construction portion of the contest. A portion of the costume (such as a leotard, tights and shoes) may be from purchased finished goods, but at least 60% of the costume should have been constructed by the creator of the costume. More is expected if you are entering as Journeyman or Master.
      • If you have made heavy alterations to a store-bought garment and wish to enter it into the contest, you must be able to explain how you have altered it and the processes that such an endeavor entailed. Unaltered store-bought assemblies of clothing to represent a "costume" are not allowed.
    • Costumes worn for any previous competition at Kumoricon are ineligible.
    Skill LevelsTo ensure that Entrants with limited experience compete with their peers and not against more experienced entrants, skill levels have been established. Entrants may elect to enter different skill levels for Costume construction and Presentation. The Judges will assess entries of higher skill levels using stricter criteria.
  • For costume judging, these rankings apply to the costume maker, not the wearer as they are for construction, not presentation.
  • Group entries will be judged at the highest division amongst your members.
  • Master
  • The Master category is intended for skilled cosplayers with extensive cosplay experience and several awards.
  • Those competing in the Masters Costume category must bring a portfolio showcasing progress of their costume and a minimum of three previous costumes to judging.
  • Professional actors and actresses or groups who perform outside the convention circuit are required to compete at this level for presentations. Professional costumers, tailors, pattern-makers, seamstresses or people who take commissions for creating costumes or other clothing are required to compete at this level for Construction.
  • Anyone who has won two or more awards as a Journeyman, or
  • An individual who has achieved "Master" status at any other major convention, or
  • Anyone who chooses to compete in this division may do so.
  • Journeyman
  • The Journeyman category is intended for people with some cosplay experience and/or some awards.
  • Those competing in the Journeyman Costume category must bring a portfolio showcasing progress of their costume to judging.
  • Has won fewer than two awards as a Journeyman, or
  • Has won at least two awards in the Novice category, or
  • Anyone who is not required to compete as a Master and who chooses to compete in this division.
  • Novice
  • The Novice category is intended for people with virtually no cosplay experience or cosplayers with little to no prior experience competing.
  • First time performers and/or costumers fit here.
  • Any group with at least one member who is old enough to not qualify for the Youth division, or a Youth group that prefers to compete in the Novice division.
  • Anyone who has never won an award in a cosplay competition at any convention.
  • Youth
  • All members of the group are 14 or younger on the day of the competition.
  • For Construction: Contestants beneath the age of 14 on the day of the competition who have created at least 50% of their costume on their own (if an adult created the costume, the costume is entered under the Adult's skill level).
  • Note: For Performance, parents used as "props" for small children do not bump children into an adult class.
  • Original Design (for Costume Only)
  • Original Design will be treated as a separate competition. Contestants in this division will not be competing against the other divisions and are ineligible for Best of Show.
  • Costumes that are considered original design are as follows: gijinkas, genderbends, characters with no published artwork, fan art designs, and original video game characters, etc.
  • Original Designs will be judged solely based on construction.
  • Original Design Contestants must bring a portfolio of all reference/inspiration material and progress photos to judging.
  • Please note that any entry may be reclassified by the Judges if they feel it is appropriate.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2015 Cosplay Contests
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:43:20 pm »
"Those competing in the Journeyman Costume category must bring a portfolio showcasing progress of their costume to judging."
As in : photos and typed notes of progress? Can the photos be the regular printer quality or must they be on photo paper?

Also, I don't see a link to the form to enter so I assume it's not live yet?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 07:53:58 pm »
"Those competing in the Journeyman Costume category must bring a portfolio showcasing progress of their costume to judging."
As in : photos and typed notes of progress? Can the photos be the regular printer quality or must they be on photo paper?

Also, I don't see a link to the form to enter so I assume it's not live yet?

The photos are welcome to be on whatever type of paper you would like.

The form is not live yet. There will be an announcement when it is.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 06:43:14 am »
For clarification, cause I was told (by a judge) last year to enter as a Journeyman ... The "rules" listed say:
  • Anyone who is not required to compete as a Master and who chooses to compete in this division.[/size][/l][/l]
I have entered about 3 times before into contests, but have not won any awards in any category. I believe the judge that spoke to me said that I would be bumped up from Intermediate* to Journeyman if my sewing machine hadn't been on the fritz (tension issues).
By this interpretation, I should be entering the Novice and not Journeyman?

*I'm pretty sure we had 4 categories last year, because I distinctly remembering not entering into Novice and not into Journeyman, but into a space between the two.

[/list]
Kumori'15

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 09:10:08 pm »
For clarification, cause I was told (by a judge) last year to enter as a Journeyman ... The "rules" listed say:
  • Anyone who is not required to compete as a Master and who chooses to compete in this division.[/l][/l][/l][/l]
I have entered about 3 times before into contests, but have not won any awards in any category. I believe the judge that spoke to me said that I would be bumped up from Intermediate* to Journeyman if my sewing machine hadn't been on the fritz (tension issues).
By this interpretation, I should be entering the Novice and not Journeyman?

*I'm pretty sure we had 4 categories last year, because I distinctly remembering not entering into Novice and not into Journeyman, but into a space between the two.
[/q]

We have removed the Intermediate category. You can certainly enter Novice, there is always a chance you will be bumped up.[/list]

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Atlis01

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2015, 02:34:53 pm »
Does anyone know when the e-mails withe the schedule are going to be sent out? I have a few events I want to participate in, but I can't give a solid answer until I know when the meetings and contest are.

Offline riku-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2015, 06:02:00 pm »
the cosplay contest is on day 3.
~~Kumoricon 2018~~
~~RIKU-CHAN

Offline Atlis01

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2015, 08:16:10 pm »
the cosplay contest is on day 3.
Thanks for the info, but I still need to know about all the pre-meets, most of my plans are Friday or Saturday.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2015, 08:59:12 pm »
The meeting is Friday around dinner time, judging is a large block the next day until the afternoon, and the contest itself where you walk on stage is Sunday (tech rehearsal in the morning, and the contest takes place in the early afternoon).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to state the specific times even though I know them, cause everything can change before the schedule is officially public.
Kumori'15

Offline Atlis01

• Cabbit
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 10:13:07 pm »
The meeting is Friday around dinner time, judging is a large block the next day until the afternoon, and the contest itself where you walk on stage is Sunday (tech rehearsal in the morning, and the contest takes place in the early afternoon).

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to state the specific times even though I know them, cause everything can change before the schedule is officially public.
Thank you for clearing that up, though the times may change a bit,  this is more than enough information for what I need.  I was mainly concerned about early Friday and Saturday,  this will help out allot.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 04:49:16 pm »

Thank you for clearing that up, though the times may change a bit,  this is more than enough information for what I need.  I was mainly concerned about early Friday and Saturday,  this will help out allot.

After pre-convention entries close, an email will be going out to those who entered with the times. Those who were waitlisted will be encouraged to come to the pre-meet as some people may drop at the convention.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline animefan209

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 05:41:54 pm »
For a skit, everyone in the group has to go to the pre-meet right?

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2015, 10:20:00 am »
For the master portfolio, it says three other costumes, does that mean you want pictures of those other costumes or the costumes themselves?
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 11:54:28 am »

or a skit, everyone in the group has to go to the pre-meet right?

One person from the skit must be in attendance at the pre-meet.

For the master portfolio, it says three other costumes, does that mean you want pictures of those other costumes or the costumes themselves?

Pictures of the three costumes, progress, steps taken to make them them, finished product, are fine. No need to bring in the actual costumes. And this is just needed for the judging.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 06:04:50 pm by the_wind_the_sea »

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Sunnybrook1

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Sunnybrook's dA Account
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 07:07:17 am »
I'm trying to pull together a skit last minute, when will we know if the 30 skit slots are filled? At the Cosplay Contest Pre-meet on Friday at least, I'm hoping...

Also, it says if we have prerecorded audio we can use USB sticks instead of CD's, can we use USB sticks for both our main & backup audio (if any)? Or only for the main & there needs to be a CD for the backup?

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »
I'm trying to pull together a skit last minute, when will we know if the 30 skit slots are filled? At the Cosplay Contest Pre-meet on Friday at least, I'm hoping...

Also, it says if we have prerecorded audio we can use USB sticks instead of CD's, can we use USB sticks for both our main & backup audio (if any)? Or only for the main & there needs to be a CD for the backup?

Hello!

The skits are not currently filled. You can bring that print out for the form to the Cosplay Contest Pre-Meet.

USB is okay for the main and the back-up!

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯