Author Topic: Boffer Arena?  (Read 4882 times)

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
Boffer Arena?
« on: March 25, 2015, 08:21:27 pm »
Boffer panels have always been popular at any anime convention you attend (for those who don't know, it's basically gladiator play-fighting with harmless foam weapons).  What if there were a fixed area dedicated to it all convention long- like the manga library, or the photo booth?  Participants could come and go without having to carve it out on their schedule like a panel, and the spontaneity of just popping in to have a spar feels like it would be really fun.  Imagine the hijinks cospayers could get into: Spontanious grudge match! Sephiroth vs Vash the stampede: GO!

It wouldn't take much; just a dedicated room/area, a couple of foam weapons for con-goers to use and maybe a staff member to supervise.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
Re: Boffer Arena?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 04:07:23 pm »
Boffer panels have always been popular at any anime convention you attend (for those who don't know, it's basically gladiator play-fighting with harmless foam weapons).  What if there were a fixed area dedicated to it all convention long- like the manga library, or the photo booth?  Participants could come and go without having to carve it out on their schedule like a panel, and the spontaneity of just popping in to have a spar feels like it would be really fun.  Imagine the hijinks cospayers could get into: Spontanious grudge match! Sephiroth vs Vash the stampede: GO!

It wouldn't take much; just a dedicated room/area, a couple of foam weapons for con-goers to use and maybe a staff member to supervise.

I LOVE THIS IDEA!!!!!!!

Possible match ups:

Eren Jäger VS Annie Leonhardt
Mikasa Ackerman, Levi Ackerman, and Shizuo Heiwajima VS Izaya Orihara
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 11:52:11 pm »
I can honestly say that I've never seen a con have an official designated area for this type of thing, but that may be because I've never really looked for one.

This could be a fun thing to have, provided that it's in a large enough area.  I would recommend talking to the Programming department about doing this if you'd seriously like to see it happen.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 06:28:52 am »
I can honestly say that I've never seen a con have an official designated area for this type of thing, but that may be because I've never really looked for one.

This could be a fun thing to have, provided that it's in a large enough area.  I would recommend talking to the Programming department about doing this if you'd seriously like to see it happen.

How would I do that?  Do I submit an application to the same email for panels?  I'll admit that although a boffer arena is something I really want to become a reality, I have no idea how to make that happen.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 01:08:09 am »
There are two ways to go about doing this.

The first would be to attend a general meeting.  The next one is on Sunday the 12th, at the Vancouver Hilton.  While there, approach the Director of Programming during the break.

The second would be to email the department at: programming@kumoricon.org .
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh