Author Topic: Cosplay Dance panel  (Read 4200 times)

Offline notaweaboo

• Oni
Cosplay Dance panel
« on: February 14, 2015, 05:04:25 pm »
I was also wondering how many people are interested in a panel that teaches a Vocaloid dance or two. Would you show up, and which dances would you want to learn?

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
Re: Cosplay Dance panel
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 08:42:48 pm »
I think this is a nice idea!  You might get a lot of people if there were chances to learn other dances too, like popular ones people might know from well-known j-pop and k-pop dance groups, as well.  Or other dances from popular animes and such.  But Vocaloid is a good one to feature, too!  I like complicated dances, so I'd love to learn that one with the leek twirling~
Find me on:

Facebook:  Uptown Otaku
Tumblr:  uptownotakucosplay
YouTube:  UptovvnOtaku
Instagram:  uptownotaku
Fanfiction.net:  UptownOtaku
DeviantART:  uptownotaku

Offline Pumpkinziggy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 02:22:12 pm »
I'd be interested in teaching dances! I have to see whether I can come to Kumoricon this year, and once I figure that out in a month or two I can give more information. :D But I know a lot of dances I could teach or help teach.
Welp, can't come to Kumoricon for the next four years... See you all in 2019 hopefully ;w;

Offline KingOfAutumn

• Cabbit
    • RMD
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:59:16 am »
I think I would be interested!
My Love Live! group is going to be learning a dance or two from the anime, so if you want a little more variety than the Vocaloid, we could help out in anyway if you'd like!
IG - @xiao.sama
Tumblr - all-u-ken-eat-ravioli.tumblr.com
--
KumoriCon 2016
{Still Unplanned}

Offline kikiemily

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 07:08:09 pm »
I would love to attend a dance panel! Of course, if it's possible for me to attend when I get my staff schedule XD
2014: Registration Staff
2015: Registration Coordinator
2016: Registration Coordinator
2017: Specialty Membership Coordinator
2018: Specialty Membership Manager
2019: Specialty Membership Manager
2021: Specialty Membership Manager

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 07:39:41 pm »
This sounds really fun!  I'd bet that I'm not the only one who would like to know how to do a vocaloid, jpop or other kind of dance - but can never find the time/motivation to actually do it.  Going to a dedicated panel for learning a dance; on the other hand is a whole 'nother box of popcorn that I would happily jump into.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline riku-chan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 01:48:33 pm »
a vocaloid dance panel seems really fun i would totally go!
~~Kumoricon 2018~~
~~RIKU-CHAN

Offline rukavampireknight

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2015, 06:01:47 pm »
My sister and I will be cosplaying characters from AKB0048 and could teach some of the popular AKB48 dances since the anime is based off that group.

Offline TheInsecureTaco

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2015, 06:57:55 pm »
I like the idea of this. I personally am not a big fan of dancing, so I most likely wouldn't attend with my busy schedule and all. You should keep in mind that the way you teach and the attitude towards people learning, especially the ones that just aren't getting it as fast, could make or break the panel. The goal is to make others happy, because it is really about them. Keep that in mind, and you will have an amazing panel. Good luck

Offline Kori123

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 06:06:11 am »
I like the idea of this. I personally am not a big fan of dancing, so I most likely wouldn't attend with my busy schedule and all. You should keep in mind that the way you teach and the attitude towards people learning, especially the ones that just aren't getting it as fast, could make or break the panel. The goal is to make others happy, because it is really about them. Keep that in mind, and you will have an amazing panel. Good luck

Great words of advice.  I've done dance panels at other cons in the past as well as teach anime/k-pop/j-pop dances at this studio I attend and it's really hard to do it in a way where everyone's happy.  Some people are easier at learning dances while other people can take hours to get the simplest of dance moves.  I know in the past when dancing with my friends, they'll spend hours working on a thirty second portion of a dance no matter how complicated, while I myself can watch it a few times, jump in and have it down without much practice at all.

During the panels I've done, if it is too easy for some people and you're having to repeat a lot of steps for stragglers, they'll leave or get really bored.  And it's a fine line between giving them enough time to learn it and giving them enough time to practice and sync.  You don't want advance dancers to be bored waiting around for others to catch up and you don't want beginners to get frustrated when you move onto step B but they're still unsure how to do step A.

So when picking the dances, I'd stick to ones that have only five or six simple moves (para para style is easiest) and go from there.  Little Apple, Saikyou Pare Parade, Boogie Bam Dance and Yuki Moun Madobe Nite are the four dances I usually do as beginner dances that anyone can learn in about a half hour, if that since they're literally the same moves over and over again.  Ones like Love and Joy and Luka Luka Night Fever seem simple enough but can be more complicated to do, especially if you only have an hour to teach. 

Long story short, be very selective with your dances.  One thing you could do is two panels.  One for beginners and one for more advance dancers.  I'd also stick to doing only one or two dances depending on the level everyone's at but keep others in your pocket just in case.