Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda Jeopardy/Quiz Panel 2015  (Read 4419 times)

Offline TheMetalwing

• Oni
The Legend of Zelda Jeopardy/Quiz Panel 2015
« on: January 06, 2015, 12:14:16 am »
The Legend of Zelda Jeopardy/Quiz Panel
Hi and Happy New Year!!!
I've been  a Kumoricon attendee since 2007 and I was thinking to myself "Why haven't I ran a panel yet???" So here I am trying to get a panel together!

As a long time Zelda fan since I was little and with all the Zelda games coming out recently, I thought getting Zelda fans together to have a good old fashioned time crunching game of Zelda Jeopardy would be fun!

Here are some ideas/rules I have to far (please be aware that Im still working on it!):

1 ) Hopefully this panel will be an hour. A half hour will be fine too.
2 ) This panel will be during the day so all ages are welcomed! This panel will be rated PG so swearing is a big no-no. We want it to keep it Rated ESRB E to E10+ Rating!
3 ) Depending on how long the panel is will determine how many rounds there are. Each round will be about 3-5 minutes so more people can play!
4 ) Everyone who plays will get a prize! If you want to play, just raise your hand and I will choose the players! There will be 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Place prizes!
5 ) The rules will be like Jeopardy but in a time crunching matter.
6 ) There will be easy and hard questions! So beware! Still working how I'm going to have categories. Having the games in their own categories isn't fair to everyone so it will most likely be subjects and such.
7 ) There will be a raffle at the end for awesome prizes!
8 ) There's gonna be candy! It will be nut free for those of you who have a nut allergy. I will make sure the candy have been made in a nut-free factory. Don't want anyone to have to go to the hospital D:
9 ) I'm Link Trebek 8)

So that's what I have so far! c: More info later!

What do you guys think? Sound fun? :D I want to summon all Zelda fans and fans who just love video games!!! Let's make this a thing!
Stay strong, heroes! :)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 10:45:18 pm by TheMetalwing »

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
Re: The Legend of Zelda Jeopardy/Quiz Panel 2015
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 10:24:23 am »
I think this sounds super fun! Especially since it's about a fandom I know about and enjoy. I hope to see this panel at convention this year!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 03:07:31 am »
I'm going to give a tad bit of input regarding the rounds and time. You might want to go for the shorter 5 minutes a round, or even shorter to 3min. Why? People at con get tired and want entertainment a bit faster- even if they like Jeopardy.
A fine example: the gameshow Zelda panel last year, loads of fun if you were playing, somewhat bored if you were in the audience. OR the Cards Against Humanity panel last year, loads of fun if you get a good group of people up there.

To make it more fun for the entire audience, having the ability to switch out the players more readily than 10minutes would be better than sitting there for 10minutes. You get more people involved, more people are inclined to stay and watch for the hopes of being picked.

No-Swearing would be totally fine so long as you aren't looking for a 18+ panel rating. It sounds like you want this to be a family affair.

Finally, what kind of prizes do you have in mind? Some artists in the AA might be willing to offer up small things (bookmarks or charms) as prizes if you communicate to them early on day 1 with a firm summary of the panel and asking for prizes.
Short reminder, food cannot be given as prizes. So far as I know, this includes candy. I believe you can give out candy only if it's all individually wrapped.

Really if you have any questions, have no fear to shoot an email to the panels people :) They're usually pretty good at getting back to you.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline TheMetalwing

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 07:04:09 am »
I'm going to give a tad bit of input regarding the rounds and time. You might want to go for the shorter 5 minutes a round, or even shorter to 3min. Why? People at con get tired and want entertainment a bit faster- even if they like Jeopardy.
A fine example: the gameshow Zelda panel last year, loads of fun if you were playing, somewhat bored if you were in the audience. OR the Cards Against Humanity panel last year, loads of fun if you get a good group of people up there.

To make it more fun for the entire audience, having the ability to switch out the players more readily than 10minutes would be better than sitting there for 10minutes. You get more people involved, more people are inclined to stay and watch for the hopes of being picked.

No-Swearing would be totally fine so long as you aren't looking for a 18+ panel rating. It sounds like you want this to be a family affair.

Finally, what kind of prizes do you have in mind? Some artists in the AA might be willing to offer up small things (bookmarks or charms) as prizes if you communicate to them early on day 1 with a firm summary of the panel and asking for prizes.
Short reminder, food cannot be given as prizes. So far as I know, this includes candy. I believe you can give out candy only if it's all individually wrapped.

Really if you have any questions, have no fear to shoot an email to the panels people :) They're usually pretty good at getting back to you.

Very good points!!!!
I was playing in the Zelda panel last year and had tons of fun! I could tell the audience was pretty bored too. Very good point. Well I guess info get an hour I'll still have short rounds :)

As for prizes, I'm still thinking about it but will have some zelda merchandise :)
I'll have candy as well ^^
Raffle is a definite now haha I'll have plenty of prizes :)
I should contact some artists (even myself because I draw too) and see if they're willing to contribute!
Everything is still in the planning stage xD
But thanks for the tips!
Keep on adding more if you want :D

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:17:59 am »
You can request for a 15 min set up and take down time as well, and they'll work that in if need be. I suggest you might want to ask for a 15min take down time and use it in case you run over your time so the room can be cleared and the next panelist can set up.

Contacting artist's might be hard, since very few come on here it seems lol You might be able to look around dA and find some artists that attend con, shoot them a message and ask. If you're going to a convention ahead of time, ask there too and be ready to explain that the art work would be used as prizes. It never hurts to ask, so long as you're asking for something that's minimal pricing ($5 and below).
Kumori'15

Offline TheMetalwing

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 10:10:11 pm »
You can request for a 15 min set up and take down time as well, and they'll work that in if need be. I suggest you might want to ask for a 15min take down time and use it in case you run over your time so the room can be cleared and the next panelist can set up.

Contacting artist's might be hard, since very few come on here it seems lol You might be able to look around dA and find some artists that attend con, shoot them a message and ask. If you're going to a convention ahead of time, ask there too and be ready to explain that the art work would be used as prizes. It never hurts to ask, so long as you're asking for something that's minimal pricing ($5 and below).
You are so awesome :D
I'm pretty much new to panel requesting so I don't know anything except that I will need to submit a form once they release the panel submission or this year D:
But that's a very good idea having the set up and take down times!!! I'm really hopin I can get an hour :x If not, that's ok too :) Once I get onto my laptop later, I'll edit the rules ^^
Thanks so much again!!!
Seriously, keep throwing tips at me xD Im a newbie when it comes to panel submission stuff (even though I've been to plenty conventions :x )

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:06 am »
I'm attaching an out-dated panel form from 2011. It'll give you a good idea of what to think of for your panel.
They've streamlined it now so they don't ask what department it's in now; all Panel forms go to Panels. You'll see on the new form :)

After that is thinking up the panel name and description. These should take you a bit to think up- descriptions are best kept at 250 words or less (aim for 100 or less imo). They're the things that are printed in the big fancy book people get at con. If you have your book from last year, peruse through it and read over what other people wrote down to further describe their panel. (IE My writing marathon panel, I wrote in the description that people won't need to bring paper or writing tools. A handy thing since 90% of people don't carry that kind of gear to a panel.)

Next up is what day and time. This is trickier to decide. First up decide how long you want your panel to be - 60min for you. Then decide what time of day is best. They now have blocks of time like 8am-12pm and 12pm-4pm, 4pm-8pm, 8pm-10pm, and 10pm-3am. Keep in mind that most people are sleepy or doing main events until at least noon or 2pm, some don't end until 4; this is important since you might be contested against other well-known panels that need large rooms. If you aren't too worried about getting a large room, keep in mind for attendance. (My writing panel overlapped into the cosplay contest's line-up time last year and the resulted in me getting people who would leave, or less people overall showing up.) Also in terms of day, day1 and day4 are usually the easiest days to book things on. They always want panels for day4. (When you send in the form, you can also shoot them an email with the title of your panel and tell them you're flexible on days. Note this especially if you really have no care in the world as to what might contest your panel, like if you want to go to the AMV contest, Cosplay Chess or one of the late-night comedy panels. Also if your plans change, and say you want to enter the Costume Contest, shoot them an email to let them know that you're entering and obviously your panel cannot contest for time slots during certain times.)

After is room type and size. You're probably familiar since you've been going to cons with the set-ups. Theater type rooms are about 100 chair with a table upfront for the panelists to sit at. This is the most common and basic set-up. Theater with a stage, well that's usually the larger rooms for about 300 people, but I have seen it shrunk down to rooms for 100 people in years past, so they are flexible. Workshop is the other common panel type, and this one can have 2 forms- 1, where every chair is pushed against the wall and is cleared for physical activity, and 2, similar to a classroom with long tables and chairs with a front table for the panelists. Banquet (which might not be available this year) is uncommon, and usually is reserved for things like tea-parties- it's a lot of circular type tables arranged like a cafe with no real "front"; it's meant for mingling.
Deciding on a room style you'll want will be really important to what room you get into. Say you want a workshop or theater type room, but you want all of the chairs cleared at the front (like the Zelda gameshow last year), that requires staff to move the chairs for you. You should not and may never move chairs on your own. If you need a different set-up, make sure you check the room at least 1hr before so you can notify the Programming or staff offices on-site that a change needs to happen. You should look into that really at the start of day1. Important to note is that if you don't require a special set-up, they will be able to take care of everything for you on their own like a well-oiled machine; but still check the room to make sure it's the size and set-up you were hoping for on day1.

This form mentions if you'll need volunteers or yojimbo (line organizers). I forget if that's on more recent forms honestly, but if you need help setting up and taking down and you don't have friends to help, you can probably still ask for at least one extra body to help.
They'll also ask what kind of tech you need- a projector, # of mics, and stuff. They will not supply the computer for you, and generally not a hook-up for a mac to the projectors (they're mostly all set up for PCs), but you can ask and see what they say. As I said, the forms also will ask if you need set up and take down time. I always buffeted at least 10min into my panels so it's 50min of event and 60min of set-up or take-down, and if you need beyond that, then ask them. I'd suggest you ask for a 10-15min take down, since it might be so fun that chaos ensues when it's time to leave.
Also, keep in mind that you are welcome to allow anyone lining up outside the room to enter early. Once I'm done with my set-ups, I go out into the hall and tell the people lining up that they can come in and sit. I personally like to do that since it helps start the panel on time, and reduce chaos of those walking in the halls outside.

Uhm... I can't think of any other tips really. The other thing you can email about and ask when you're sending in the form is if the door should remain open or closed. Policy regarding that is kind of watery- all 18+ panels require the doors shut, where as most all-ages prefer the doors to stay open. I request the ability to close the doors for my panels since it helps cut down on noise and really brings the attendees focus to the panel. You might be able to request a water station in the back of your room too, not sure how well that'd go over, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

That got really long ... lol But that's just a basic idea of the form.  ;)
Kumori'15

Offline TheMetalwing

• Oni
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 10:39:51 pm »
I'm attaching an out-dated panel form from 2011. It'll give you a good idea of what to think of for your panel.
They've streamlined it now so they don't ask what department it's in now; all Panel forms go to Panels. You'll see on the new form :)

After that is thinking up the panel name and description. These should take you a bit to think up- descriptions are best kept at 250 words or less (aim for 100 or less imo). They're the things that are printed in the big fancy book people get at con. If you have your book from last year, peruse through it and read over what other people wrote down to further describe their panel. (IE My writing marathon panel, I wrote in the description that people won't need to bring paper or writing tools. A handy thing since 90% of people don't carry that kind of gear to a panel.)

Next up is what day and time. This is trickier to decide. First up decide how long you want your panel to be - 60min for you. Then decide what time of day is best. They now have blocks of time like 8am-12pm and 12pm-4pm, 4pm-8pm, 8pm-10pm, and 10pm-3am. Keep in mind that most people are sleepy or doing main events until at least noon or 2pm, some don't end until 4; this is important since you might be contested against other well-known panels that need large rooms. If you aren't too worried about getting a large room, keep in mind for attendance. (My writing panel overlapped into the cosplay contest's line-up time last year and the resulted in me getting people who would leave, or less people overall showing up.) Also in terms of day, day1 and day4 are usually the easiest days to book things on. They always want panels for day4. (When you send in the form, you can also shoot them an email with the title of your panel and tell them you're flexible on days. Note this especially if you really have no care in the world as to what might contest your panel, like if you want to go to the AMV contest, Cosplay Chess or one of the late-night comedy panels. Also if your plans change, and say you want to enter the Costume Contest, shoot them an email to let them know that you're entering and obviously your panel cannot contest for time slots during certain times.)

After is room type and size. You're probably familiar since you've been going to cons with the set-ups. Theater type rooms are about 100 chair with a table upfront for the panelists to sit at. This is the most common and basic set-up. Theater with a stage, well that's usually the larger rooms for about 300 people, but I have seen it shrunk down to rooms for 100 people in years past, so they are flexible. Workshop is the other common panel type, and this one can have 2 forms- 1, where every chair is pushed against the wall and is cleared for physical activity, and 2, similar to a classroom with long tables and chairs with a front table for the panelists. Banquet (which might not be available this year) is uncommon, and usually is reserved for things like tea-parties- it's a lot of circular type tables arranged like a cafe with no real "front"; it's meant for mingling.
Deciding on a room style you'll want will be really important to what room you get into. Say you want a workshop or theater type room, but you want all of the chairs cleared at the front (like the Zelda gameshow last year), that requires staff to move the chairs for you. You should not and may never move chairs on your own. If you need a different set-up, make sure you check the room at least 1hr before so you can notify the Programming or staff offices on-site that a change needs to happen. You should look into that really at the start of day1. Important to note is that if you don't require a special set-up, they will be able to take care of everything for you on their own like a well-oiled machine; but still check the room to make sure it's the size and set-up you were hoping for on day1.

This form mentions if you'll need volunteers or yojimbo (line organizers). I forget if that's on more recent forms honestly, but if you need help setting up and taking down and you don't have friends to help, you can probably still ask for at least one extra body to help.
They'll also ask what kind of tech you need- a projector, # of mics, and stuff. They will not supply the computer for you, and generally not a hook-up for a mac to the projectors (they're mostly all set up for PCs), but you can ask and see what they say. As I said, the forms also will ask if you need set up and take down time. I always buffeted at least 10min into my panels so it's 50min of event and 60min of set-up or take-down, and if you need beyond that, then ask them. I'd suggest you ask for a 10-15min take down, since it might be so fun that chaos ensues when it's time to leave.
Also, keep in mind that you are welcome to allow anyone lining up outside the room to enter early. Once I'm done with my set-ups, I go out into the hall and tell the people lining up that they can come in and sit. I personally like to do that since it helps start the panel on time, and reduce chaos of those walking in the halls outside.

Uhm... I can't think of any other tips really. The other thing you can email about and ask when you're sending in the form is if the door should remain open or closed. Policy regarding that is kind of watery- all 18+ panels require the doors shut, where as most all-ages prefer the doors to stay open. I request the ability to close the doors for my panels since it helps cut down on noise and really brings the attendees focus to the panel. You might be able to request a water station in the back of your room too, not sure how well that'd go over, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

That got really long ... lol But that's just a basic idea of the form.  ;)
Gah I wish I can meet you in person and give you a huge box of pocky!!!!
You are seriously so nice and so awesome for helping a newbie like me!

For time wise, I do agree with you on time. It seemed that the Zelda panel last year was at a really good time because it had such a huge turnout. I think it was at 5pm or something. I would assume a good time would probably be between lunch and dinner so people arent getting something to eat or not super tired.

And holy wow I did not expect the staff to do most of the setup at all except what I would need to do of course o.o; I might ask for a couple volunteers if I can't get any of my friends to help out lol I dont want the set up to be difficult but have a basic set up of the game. I'm still planning on it :)
I might ask for a 100 person room with chairs with the table up front because I don't know how big the turnout will be D: If all the chairs are taken, Im sure people wont mind standing by the walls, making sure that the fire exit is safe (Im usually pretty good at that).

I'll take your suggestions about the set up and take down time :3
But obviously I'll have the doors closed due to the noise and because it's a game show and people need to hear haha

Thanks so much for all the help! Would you mind if I have any questions, before I bug the staff, to message you basic questions if needed? :o

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 04:31:12 am »
I've never run a game-show panel, so more specific questions might be better asked here where general help can come or from the staff. Some of the staff do look over the forums about this time of year to see what's going on. ;) Go ahead and post them here, and I'm pretty sure other people can help. I'm just the weird person who doesn't mind sharing and is on the forums in Jan lol

As for the initial set-up of the room, staff really likes to do that themselves. It's about firecode safety, and I know Sakura does that too. They get pretty mad if you suddenly show up and say you have to move chairs/tables without any warning. And they're always on top of having enough bodies to help with those things.

The timeslot before one of my panels last year was an autograph session. Before they had my panel stuffed between sessions, and I sent them an email when I saw the schedule telling them to either change my room or adjust it so the two autograph sessions were before my panel, and if I'm after them to give at least a 30-45 minute buffer time. They took my suggestion literal and gave me a 45minute (almost an hour) buffer between the autograph session and my panel, and I'm glad they did so. It was a very chaotic line situation and when I checked an hour and 30min before my panel was going to start, I went in and found staff and told them that as long as staff had time to set-up my room before my panel, to use the entire buffer time if the person was okay with that. There were about 3 staff members showing up that helped set the chairs back up and it took barely five-ten minutes.
Kumori'15

Offline TheMetalwing

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2015, 11:39:47 pm »
I've never run a game-show panel, so more specific questions might be better asked here where general help can come or from the staff. Some of the staff do look over the forums about this time of year to see what's going on. ;) Go ahead and post them here, and I'm pretty sure other people can help. I'm just the weird person who doesn't mind sharing and is on the forums in Jan lol

As for the initial set-up of the room, staff really likes to do that themselves. It's about firecode safety, and I know Sakura does that too. They get pretty mad if you suddenly show up and say you have to move chairs/tables without any warning. And they're always on top of having enough bodies to help with those things.

The timeslot before one of my panels last year was an autograph session. Before they had my panel stuffed between sessions, and I sent them an email when I saw the schedule telling them to either change my room or adjust it so the two autograph sessions were before my panel, and if I'm after them to give at least a 30-45 minute buffer time. They took my suggestion literal and gave me a 45minute (almost an hour) buffer between the autograph session and my panel, and I'm glad they did so. It was a very chaotic line situation and when I checked an hour and 30min before my panel was going to start, I went in and found staff and told them that as long as staff had time to set-up my room before my panel, to use the entire buffer time if the person was okay with that. There were about 3 staff members showing up that helped set the chairs back up and it took barely five-ten minutes.
Awesome!!!!
Now Im excited :D Ive been coming up with questions for the game and how its gonna play out :)
Now to anxiously wait and see when the panel submissions will arrive :)
I seriously am truly grateful for all your help ^^

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2015, 12:19:29 am »
I love helping people figure out how to run panels~ ^^ The hard part is figuring out the idea and how to run it. Filling out the form and how the logistics of tables and stuff shouldn't be the hard part.  ;)
Kumori'15

Offline TheMetalwing

• Oni
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 12:27:54 am »
Soooooooo anyone else interested? :D
Also, does anyone know where I can get the application? D:
Much appreciated ^^

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 06:53:15 am »
I'm sure a lot of people are interested and just are on FB /not on the forums yet.

The panel application is online this year : https://www.kumoricon.org/panel-application
Make sure to use an email that you'll be checking regularly, since that's how they communicate.
Kumori'15