Author Topic: Osu! At K-Con 2015  (Read 6976 times)

Offline Elefante

• Oni
Osu! At K-Con 2015
« on: January 22, 2015, 07:23:14 pm »
Osu! is a rhythm game created by Dean Herbert, or "Peppy" as game users call him. It is a game of systematically placed objects mapped to the beat or rhythm of a song. The goal of the game is to get the highest score by accurately clicking the notes with a keyboard, mouse, or drawing tablet. The music from the game is most certainly anime/japanese dominated, so it would fit the whole convention theme.

Obviously there is equipment required, as someone with the program already on it that actually plays the game would need to bring their pc so that there are maps available. Also a keyboard, mouse, and tablet would need to be provided as well. I'm perfectly fine with bringing my old Wacom Intuos and maybe my laptop (though it isn't the best system, as I also have a desktop which I use more often) with me if needed for people to use as long as they are willing to not completely destroy them lol.

In terms of an account to use (as one is required to play and download maps,) Staff could probably just make one to use solely for the con. Internet is also needed to play if you want to submit scores, but it is not a necessity.

There is no gigantic learning curve or anything, and a tutorial is ready to play when you download the game. It comes as a map, so you can just pick it out of your song library instead of having to go back and reselect it. Overall, it's a great game that looks clean and interesting, and players that are new to the game or have been playing it for years will enjoy seeing it at Kumoricon.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:34:02 pm by Elefante »

Offline dancemaniac

• Oni
    • Viva La DDR
Re: Osu! At K-Con 2015
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 04:59:50 pm »
This sounds great!
Getting the system set up sounds pretty doable but I definitely have concerns about the tablet and stylus in particular since I know that hardware can be delicate and expensive.
A touchscreen monitor might be ideal if one could be volunteered/donated/purchased for this game.
I may personally look into acquiring one before the con but I can't make any guarantees.

Offline TheInsecureTaco

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 06:39:40 pm »
I would enjoy this. I think there should also be an Osu! Mania area too. I prefer to play that version. For those that don't know, it's like Guitar Hero, but more like a piano version and you use your keyboard.

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 11:58:04 am »
I think it would be pretty neat if they also had the taiko w/ bluetooth wii remotes synched up for everyone to try out casually.
2013 Smash Bros. Brawl Champion
2014 League of Legends Top 4 Team
2015 League of Legends 3rd Place Team

Offline Elefante

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 10:37:14 pm »
I think i'm just going to bring my pc and tablet with me. It runs fine and has plenty of osu content on it, and people can just switch between game modes if they prefer different ones. Does anyone know the process that I would need to go through to get a game in the gaming area, or do I just need to bring my stuff and talk to people when I get there?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 10:38:30 pm by Elefante »

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »
I think i'm just going to bring my pc and tablet with me. It runs fine and has plenty of osu content on it, and people can just switch between game modes if they prefer different ones. Does anyone know the process that I would need to go through to get a game in the gaming area, or do I just need to bring my stuff and talk to people when I get there?

I think you tell the staff beforehand and then bring it in and they'll probably get it set up with you. As far as I'm aware no real paperwork, but you do need to check and make sure they know beforehand so they're prepared.

On a side note, if anyone has a tatacon drum for the wii I can hook it up pretty easily.

Offline Elefante

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2015, 10:21:33 pm »
By checking in beforehand to you mean talking to them the day before the first day?

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2015, 01:13:38 pm »
By checking in beforehand to you mean talking to them the day before the first day?

I definitely can't say for sure but shooting an e-mail to the video game staff a few weeks beforehand to let them know couldn't hurt.

You're better off directly asking a staff member.

Offline Shin Star

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 11:18:01 pm »
I think it would be pretty neat if they also had the taiko w/ bluetooth wii remotes synched up for everyone to try out casually.

I will be bringing four Tatacons this year since TnT was absent last year.
If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2015, 12:56:26 am »

Email videogaming@kumoricon.org.  It's better to contact them ahead of time, so they can determine if there is any space available.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Penguin4478

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 10:31:10 pm »
jesus 4?

I can barely use them in taiko cause 4 keys is just superior to the tatacon IMO but it'll be fun to play with them.

Offline Shin Star

• Cabbit
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 03:50:52 am »
jesus 4?
Oops scratch that. I meant 3 because one of them is a HORI PRO controller. It needs to be modded though, as well as the other ones since one got beat up to death in 2013, lol.
If at first you don't succeed, give up.

Offline Elefante

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2015, 03:34:49 am »

Email videogaming@kumoricon.org.  It's better to contact them ahead of time, so they can determine if there is any space available.

Oh, thanks a ton. I'll make sure to do that. :)

Also if anyone wants to email me about anything else they'd like to bring/suggestions for other add-ons you can e-mail me at eeaeatingbubbles@gmail.com