Author Topic: Anime to watch with my sis?  (Read 3440 times)

Offline rachiebird

• Cabbit
Anime to watch with my sis?
« on: November 05, 2014, 10:07:05 am »
Hey. As the topic says, I'm looking for some anime that my thirteen year old sister and I could watch together. She's somewhat easily offended, so dirty jokes, excessive fanservice and the like would all be no-gos. She's also not so much into actiony stuff.

We really really liked Princess Tutu, so anything else in the same vein as that would be awesome. Sort of light and fluffy, but with an older target audience.

I've been considering trying Pretear with her, since it was apparently directed by the same guy, but I don't know how it is with fanservice and the like, so if anyone here has watched it and could give insight to it, that would be great.

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
Re: Anime to watch with my sis?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2014, 04:39:37 pm »
Aria would be a good one, it's a slice of life fantasy anime/manga will a cool mostly girl cast and no fanservice.

Kaleido Star is a circus/gymnastics/really freaking awesome anime with a loveable cast and really cool animation.
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:53:00 pm »
Hamtaro is adorbs.

13.... Azumanga daioh is good except the perv teacher... Angelic Layer is good, this is hard... studio Ghibli should be pretty safe (maybe not mononoke)

Age appropriate anything is something never seemed to happen.  Oh wait my mom wouldn't let me watch rocky horror picture show past the time warp when I was 11.  Yet IT silence of the lambs were fine...go fig
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline rachiebird

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 11:48:55 am »
Ahh, I'm sorry. It took me a while to get back.

We ended checking out that new magical girl anime, Yuuki Yuuna Wa Yuusha De Aru. We're really enjoying it, but there's only four episodes out right now, so we might end up watching something else too.

Aria looks pretty promising from what I saw so I think that's a definite possibility. Kaliedo Star was actually one of the anime I considered when I was looking on my own, but I didn't know how it was about fanservice and those other things I mentioned. Since it seems to be okay, we'll probably check it out too.

We aren't exactly looking for anime that's literally for children. My sister is very mature and absolutely down for stuff that has a darker tone to it. Think like Madoka Magica and whatnot. She just doesn't like dirty jokes and whatnot. Studio Ghibli does some really nice stuff, but we as well as the rest of my family have already watched all of the movies.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 03:18:40 am »
Kaleido Star is great, from what I recall.  In terms of fanservice, this series will be fine.

I think you and your sister ought to check out Ouran High School Host Club and Fruits Basket.  They are both pretty funny and quite acceptable for those that aren't into pervy things.

It's tough to come up with a show that is dark and not dirty.  Most of what I can come up with has elements that would fall under both (to many people).  My favorite "dark" anime titles are Elfen Leid and When They Cry (Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni).  As I recall, neither have that much in terms of pervy jokes.  However, the first does have some nudity (quite a bit in the first few minutes of the first episode, in fact) and there is an episode in it that is quite pervertedly sick; however, the idea of the series is to sicken you in certain places.  As for the second, I don't recall too much in terms of perverted jokes.  What I do recall is a brief story arc that involves one of the main female characters having been adopted and the man raising her has said that he plans on marrying her when she's an adult, and the main character thinking that a friend of his is working somewhere as a waitress and is in a "sexy" uniform.  (Personally, I thought the outfit looked kind of funny, but the character was attractive).  It didn't last long, because the focus was on introducing a new character.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh