Author Topic: Re: Oh my gosh - this guy sez cosplay is BAD for the economy (Me: "WTF?!?)  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Oh noes, this guy thinks cosplay is a BAD ECONOMIC OMEN:

http://theweek.com/article/index/269570/why-the-rise-of-cosplay-is-a-bad-sign-for-the-us-economy

Yikes, let's all feel the dread, shall we?

« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:56:04 pm by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Oh my gosh - this guy sez cosplay is BAD for the economy (Me: "WTF?!?)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 11:41:37 pm »
Even if he were right, so what?  There's a ton of garbage forcing the economy down the drain as it is; like our "contribution" is that big, anyway.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Re: Oh my gosh - this guy sez cosplay is BAD for the economy (Me: "WTF?!?")
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:43:59 am »
Yarly - there are also some golden comments on his article; some people calling him on judging 'some' hobbies as being 'suitable' for post-college adults, while looking askance at others. What, is age '30' some 'magic' threshold, too? Creatinf a fantasy character for SCA? Ooo, you economy-threatening slacker you. But 'fantasy football' is just fine...

Other commenters question whether material costs, sewing machine (and serger) purchases and maintenance, plus travel, hotels, & eat-out meal expenses at cons should instead be seen as a STIMULUS to a local economy, ne?

Enjoy!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 11:10:48 am »
This is kinda old news now. Cosplay.com already has a thread with multiple pages on this same topic. But yea dudes a loony.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:20:56 pm »
I think it's a farce; if anything, cosplays creates an economy - someone is getting paid for the materials and someone else is getting paid for making the costumes and props.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 08:29:34 pm »
Kay.....just yeah wow.

So does this mean the recession was because of the ever growing popularity of cosplay?

Here I thought we were finally getting recognized as the cool peeps we are...
 :'(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 10:41:59 pm »
This is kinda old news now. Cosplay.com already has a thread with multiple pages on this same topic. But yea dudes a loony.

I'd say he's more of a hater, perhaps an ignorant hater.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 09:37:56 pm »
-Takes a look at the article. Proceeds to facepalm.- Fool (The article writer)! Obviously the only sort of person who would blame cosplay for the bad economy is someone who has absolutely no comprehension of the artistic power of it or the soul of cosplay. Not to mention this is obviously someone who has no imagination whatsoever abnd would find anything having to o with fantasy and/or science fiction and comics, or anime positively mind blowing.

it's sad but there are people out there who have absolutely no imagination, no sense of adventure or anything. Hater doesn't even begin to decribe this kind.

I don't hate people like this i just feel sorry for them because they will never know the wonders of exploring all the possibilities of imagination with one's mind or expressing themselves. All you can do is turn away from these poor people and walk away.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 06:14:42 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 12:33:55 am »
I'd like to think cosplayers are good for the economy. We travel, go on trains/buses/planes, stay in hotels as tourists, visit different cities/countries and spend gobs of money at that location- ie. the amount SakuraCon pulls in to the Seattle economy is significantly impressive.

That guy also failed to mention something I've noticed in the past ten years- eBay and the internet ability to get better things. Just the spike in colors for wigs from 2007 to 2014 was insane. You don't have to dye a wig to get it that perfect shade (you still can and might need to), cause odds are there's a wig in that color now. There's a girl with lavender hair I've wanted to cosplay since I started in 2007, and I couldn't because the color of her hair wasn't available and I haven't had the courage to try and dye a wig yet- lo and behold- the color is available now.

"the underemployment rate for recent college grads — the share working in jobs that typically don't require a college degree — is 46 percent" lol I want to point out that there's a lot of reasons people in their early 20's are unemployed and cosplay isn't one. One, just locally around me, is it's all mom and pop shops which cannot afford to hire someone, or the businesses around here don't want to hire someone when they found in the last 5 years that 3 staff members are just as good as 6. *rolls eyes*
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)