Author Topic: Dress Code Enforcement?  (Read 6322 times)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
Dress Code Enforcement?
« on: September 10, 2014, 09:32:06 pm »
I know the rule is "sides of the breast", but the picture shows the entire breast covered, right? Well, I saw a couple costumes during the con weekend, and am seeing more cropping over in pictures of about four inches of underboob or massive amounts of sideboob. This included watching one cosplayer turn to the point that both her nipples were out... more than once. I'm normally not one to get angry about this (like I hate dress codes in general, but that comes from a bad one from high school), but it seemed highly inappropriate.

Also, don't want to post pictures and call out certain cosplayers. The outfits are all really recognizable.
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline RoxanneG

• Oni
    • Twitter
Re: Dress Code Enforcement?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 10:48:35 am »
As far as I know, they were definitely turning away people who were violating the dress code. I even talked to one of the cosplayers and she said they wouldn't let her into the convention space/hotel but she was allowed to stay in the park.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 01:14:25 pm »
But one of them was in the cosplay contest. We were in the green room and she turned and it was an eye full to say the least.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 02:50:13 pm »
But one of them was in the cosplay contest. We were in the green room and she turned and it was an eye full to say the least.

That happened last year too that there was a cosplay in the contest that I was pretty sure didn't meet the dress code side boob coverage (for the record not dissing the costume it was really cool and well done, it was really accurate to the character), and it won a prize.

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 03:31:35 pm »
The sad thing about the boob rule especially is that women's boobs naturally vary in size; where the size is, the size of the nipple, and angle of it. All this technological gene stuff that makes the rule hard to follow/enforce.

All of it is subjective to the cosplayer and how they've covered their boob with materials.

I do feel that if someone is entering a costume in the Contest, it is required and should follow the regular dress code set forth by the convention. To that point, there are things a girl can do to cover her breast- something as clever double-sided or fashion tape would work.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 07:16:18 pm »
Honestly, a pair of pasties would have fixed the nipple issue. But the rule itself is basic enough to "a bikini". I mean, a nude colored bra goes a long way, and I'm surprised some women don't own one. I saw nude briefs used quite well, so why not the other half?
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:47:37 pm »
Oddly enough, it might be something as simple as funds. If a person can't afford a bra specifically for a costume, they'll just for-go it until later when they deem it necessary or needed. Pasties would have helped a lot, I agree.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 07:10:11 am »
Saying you don't have the money to follow a rule is kind of a cop out. I mean, I can point people in the direction of $10 bras that will last a week of hard use. That's what they're made for.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 08:01:31 am »
There were quite a few cases where I think the rules should've been enforced that weren't.  Based on how the dress code is written, any and all of the Kill la Kill cosplayers that had the underboob thing going on should've been asked to either find a way to cover the rest up or chosen another version of the character.  I can respect accuracy, but these are cartoon characters; accuracy doesn't apply to them.  There were a few other cases that had nothing to do with accuracy, such as an Attack on Titan soldier with her pants off, wearing only a pair of panties that (I think) said "Senpai."  These rules ought to be better enforced, all of the time, no exceptions.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2014, 05:24:36 pm »
There were quite a few cases where I think the rules should've been enforced that weren't.  Based on how the dress code is written, any and all of the Kill la Kill cosplayers that had the underboob thing going on should've been asked to either find a way to cover the rest up or chosen another version of the character.  I can respect accuracy, but these are cartoon characters; accuracy doesn't apply to them.  There were a few other cases that had nothing to do with accuracy, such as an Attack on Titan soldier with her pants off, wearing only a pair of panties that (I think) said "Senpai."  These rules ought to be better enforced, all of the time, no exceptions.
I saw that AoT cosplayer, and they were within code. The basic female dress code is a bikini, and the undies were like boyshorts.

But people really miss out when they don't buy body suits or skin color underarmor like shirts and tights. I mean, this is Oregon- one of these years it's going to freeze.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 09:16:51 am »
I saw that AoT cosplayer, and they were within code. The basic female dress code is a bikini, and the undies were like boyshorts.

But people really miss out when they don't buy body suits or skin color underarmor like shirts and tights. I mean, this is Oregon- one of these years it's going to freeze.

As I understand it, undergarments are to be (mostly) covered.  When I crossdressed as Bunnygirl Mikuru, I was told that I wasn't allowed to have bra straps showing, even though there was no clear indication on that for the females and ESPECIALLY not for the males.  It was because it was part of an undergarment.  Based on this, I think it would make sense that wearing panties with no pants wouldn't be allowed, especially if she were a minor.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 11:14:45 am »

As I understand it, undergarments are to be (mostly) covered.  When I crossdressed as Bunnygirl Mikuru, I was told that I wasn't allowed to have bra straps showing, even though there was no clear indication on that for the females and ESPECIALLY not for the males.  It was because it was part of an undergarment.  Based on this, I think it would make sense that wearing panties with no pants wouldn't be allowed, especially if she were a minor.
I'm not sure how long ago that was, but I know that's not an issue anymore, considering there are people who cosplay Yuko from Gurren Lagen, and that's a bikini (which is basically underwear). I think they let up on that one.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 04:30:59 pm »

I'm not sure how long ago that was, but I know that's not an issue anymore, considering there are people who cosplay Yuko from Gurren Lagen, and that's a bikini (which is basically underwear). I think they let up on that one.

It was five years ago, and a bikini is different from a bra.  This is info coming straight from the then-members of the con board.  (I think the one that insisted on getting me to accept that has come to the board).

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 06:10:17 pm »
It was five years ago, and a bikini is different from a bra.  This is info coming straight from the then-members of the con board.  (I think the one that insisted on getting me to accept that has come to the board).
That's honestly a debate I don't think I should get into, but a bikini and a bra and boyshorts cover the exact same amount. In fact, as someone who has wore many a swimsuit and many bras, I can say that bras are more likely to stay in place than a bikini. Those suckers are meant to keep everything in place, whereas bikinis just cover bits.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2014, 11:39:32 pm »
That's honestly a debate I don't think I should get into, but a bikini and a bra and boyshorts cover the exact same amount. In fact, as someone who has wore many a swimsuit and many bras, I can say that bras are more likely to stay in place than a bikini. Those suckers are meant to keep everything in place, whereas bikinis just cover bits.

Especially if the "parts" aren't naturally attached to the body.  Still, if my comment was right about her being a minor (which I'm sure she was), that's even more of a reason for her to have worn pants.  Anime cons have a bad enough rep without that kind of thing happening.

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 03:42:19 pm »

Especially if the "parts" aren't naturally attached to the body.  Still, if my comment was right about her being a minor (which I'm sure she was), that's even more of a reason for her to have worn pants.  Anime cons have a bad enough rep without that kind of thing happening.
Actually, the person you're talking about was a blue badge. I was in the elevator with them a few times.

But we don't need a "18+ dress code" or anything, so age is really irrelevant.
Kumoricon 2019:
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 08:33:56 pm »
Unless breast feeding then its illegal to tell someone to cover up.
Cosplay breast feeding...

;)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2014, 03:32:41 pm »
^ This is correct.

Actually, the person you're talking about was a blue badge. I was in the elevator with them a few times.

But we don't need a "18+ dress code" or anything, so age is really irrelevant.

I'll take your word for that.  I had a hard time telling the badges apart this year, especially since most of them (when I bothered to look) appeared to look tan.

I would disagree, and for many reasons.  Adult men like me don't want or need to see teenage girls in their underwear; in many cases, it would be a criminal offense.  Anime conventions have a bad enough reputation for being a gathering of pedophiles and other types of sickos; we shouldn't feed the lie and we shouldn't encourage the freaks that have no moral restrictions when it comes to teens.