Author Topic: Cosplay Question for the Non-Sewer  (Read 2413 times)

Offline MPHopcroft

• Oni
Cosplay Question for the Non-Sewer
« on: September 02, 2014, 08:39:01 pm »
I didn't really wear anything this year (except for normal clothes -- most con organizers frown upon outright nudity!). I'm looking to build an outfit for future conventions, that I can do without having to sew because I don't have the slightest clue how. I flunked Home Ec in sixth grade, what can I say?

Some of the things I want to assemble it with are impossible to find. Or even impossible to use -- like a seven-foot-long or so necktie (how would you even knot the thing?). Finding something really retro in the way of a jacket, and then putting custom embroidery on one of the lapels, is also probably going to cost more than I can spend. (I'm thinking of something a 1980s New Wave singer would wear).

Those are really the only two pieces that would have to be costumey or customized.

There is nobody specific in anime that I am aware of that someone of my age and/or build could dress as.
"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldhn't believe in Righteousness." - Bernie Taupin

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
Re: Cosplay Question for the Non-Sewer
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 10:42:20 pm »
Glue guns, various other forms of glue, scissors, wire, velcro...those are the main things I use at least.  Not sure how you can apply them to your situation but maybe it will help.

Offline Lynzie

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 08:13:07 pm »
There's a year before the next con; that's plenty of time to learn to sew if you really want to!

That said, if the costumes you want to make are stumping you and don't appear to be able to be made by buying and altering ready-made pieces, you can always look into a commissioner. There are tons around, and there's probably one near you who can do custom measurements for you if you need. cosplay.com is a good place to search for them. Just be sure to give them plenty of time to make the costume (at least three months, and more if you're commissioning someone who's popular), and expect to pay about $300 for a simple costume because materials aren't free and neither is the commissioner's labor. :)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 09:26:40 pm »
Take the costumes apart. I can't draw worth crap, but I still do my crappy doodles and figure out pieces. At that point, see what's real clothes and what's costume BS (shinguards? Shoes with no heels? Neon pink tutu?). From that, look online. The internet is a beautiful thing. I've found full tutorials on how to make costumes, including ways to do them without sewing. Just gotta be patient.
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 06:53:43 am »
I'm not great at sewing clothes, either, so I always go out and find clothing pieces and convert them to fit my costume.

You can check out your favorite stores at the mall or online or thrift shops and see if anything works out for you!

It really helps to get a picture of the costume and break the pieces down so it's easier to find and/or make them - so it's not so overwhelming.

Maybe you have a friend who knows how to make those intricate details, or maybe you can contact a cosplay maker or an artist online.

Who are you cosplaying as, by the way?
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 05:37:34 pm »
Get an idea of what you like then scope out Halloween stores.  More and more anime things (or things that would work for anime) are popping up and this is the time of year to get them.  Tho there is a year round Halloween store in Beaverton.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 08:26:09 pm »
Im all about putting together costumes from what you can find!
If you have an outfit in mind or need some help brain storming ideas(for either what you want to make or who you want to be). I can help!

Also always remember Thrift stores are your friends!
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)