Author Topic: 2013 cosplay contest Rules and Form  (Read 18838 times)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
2013 cosplay contest Rules and Form
« on: February 09, 2013, 01:29:15 pm »
The rules and entry form for 2013 Cosplay Contest have been submitted to Programming Director and will be posted to the Kumoricon website soon  :D PLEASE read them carefully.

The rules should be posed at  http://www.kumoricon.org/cosplay-contest 
And the forms will be on http://www.kumoricon.org/contests  under "Cosplay Contest"

Questions? write them here, or email cosplay@kumoricon.org 

Thanks

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Re: 2013 cosplay contest Rules and Form
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2013, 08:55:26 am »
I just realized I can attach the form and rules here...  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 08:56:03 am by Runa »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2013, 12:48:43 pm »
^ That's actually a good thing for you to do.  The first link takes you somewhere that says that the rules will be posted soon, and the second takes you to AMV contest details.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 04:17:38 pm »
The rules and contest form are  now officially posted to the links as listed in the first posting on this thread.   :D
Please send in your applications soon (so I don't have to enter all of them in a single evening - it IS a lot of typing you know). 

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for this year's contest.  8)

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 02:50:49 pm »
i know that for entering a costume in to the contest as a walk on also judged for construction has to have a certain percentage of the costume made by the enteree. how is percentage determined?
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:05:44 am »
I'm really upset actually. The costume I was planning on entering won't be eledgable. Since its not necissarily japanese. Its not even really a cannon costume for the character. But the reason it bothers me is because I'm already planning on putting hours of my time into hand sewing the peices for it.
It still bothers me that thats in the rules, considering alot of people put Alot of effort into costumes based on american, german etc. costumes. It kinda sucks cause one of my favorite manga is written by a german artist.
I feel like it'd be more fair to costume artists if they could enter a larger variety of OC's, other comic book characters etc. Though at the same time I understand the rule, seeing as how I'd be a bit dissapointed in seeing someone entering a costume contest with a character from some sort of english scifi series that they simply had to thrift hop to put together.

I know I'm kinda being a dillweed here, but its just something that bugs me. And the start to change is sharing opinion. Not saying the rules will change, I have honest doubts. It'd just be more encouraging to some people to know they can enter the costumes they've put hard work into making, even if they're not necissarily based on japanese characters.
I guess what I'm getting at is that a costume isn't necissarily good just because its 'japanese' its good based on the effort and craftsmanship put into the costume. Costume making is an art. And I feel it shouldn't be restricted. I hope this gets takedn into consideration for next years contest.

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 01:54:10 pm »
Prussia: I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that there have been people who complain about K-con becoming a Pop culture con rather than an Anime con and thus this rule was put in place to keep up with what the con was originally made for.
That being said, I kinda feel the same way, but it's not our place to complain.

Also, I will be sending in my forms soon. (:

Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 08:53:10 am »
I'm really upset actually. The costume I was planning on entering won't be eledgable. Since its not necissarily japanese. Its not even really a cannon costume for the character. But the reason it bothers me is because I'm already planning on putting hours of my time into hand sewing the peices for it.
It still bothers me that thats in the rules, considering alot of people put Alot of effort into costumes based on american, german etc. costumes. It kinda sucks cause one of my favorite manga is written by a german artist.
I feel like it'd be more fair to costume artists if they could enter a larger variety of OC's, other comic book characters etc. Though at the same time I understand the rule, seeing as how I'd be a bit dissapointed in seeing someone entering a costume contest with a character from some sort of english scifi series that they simply had to thrift hop to put together.

I know I'm kinda being a dillweed here, but its just something that bugs me. And the start to change is sharing opinion. Not saying the rules will change, I have honest doubts. It'd just be more encouraging to some people to know they can enter the costumes they've put hard work into making, even if they're not necissarily based on japanese characters.
I guess what I'm getting at is that a costume isn't necissarily good just because its 'japanese' its good based on the effort and craftsmanship put into the costume. Costume making is an art. And I feel it shouldn't be restricted. I hope this gets takedn into consideration for next years contest.

This was a big debate last year, and I agree that it's a silly rule, but that's what Kumoricon wants and it's not going to change. If you still want to enter it into a contest, try Akicon, Newcon, or Sakuracon.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:50:42 am »
It's only the costume judging part that has been restricted to Japanese themed.

Any costume/character can be in a Skit. So you can still have your non-anime costume seen in a skit - its construction won't be judged, however.

----
as for chelseahavoc's question about how we determine the percentage of the costume made by the entrant, we pretty much eyeball it. Remember, we're judging the entrant's costume-making skills when we're assessing a costume.

Offline Hikari-Alice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 06:29:12 pm »
Okay. I had a couple questions about this, since this would be the first year being in the Cosplay Contest with a group of mine. I was too lazy to email them.

1.) Would we need to be in the same costume we are performing in the actual contest for rehearsal(s)? My group is doing a skit with the costume construction being judged.

and 2.) How many rehearsals are there, what are their dates and times?
Not going. Very disappointed. But maybe next time. I'm not entirely sure though.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 02:17:28 pm »
Okay. I had a couple questions about this, since this would be the first year being in the Cosplay Contest with a group of mine. I was too lazy to email them.

1.) Would we need to be in the same costume we are performing in the actual contest for rehearsal(s)? My group is doing a skit with the costume construction being judged.

You only need to wear your costume to judging and the presentation, unless you want to practice being onstage wearing your costume (in cases of costumes that are hard to walk in, need help up stairs, etc.). In the past there has been a pre-meeting the day before the contest, and rehearsal early morning day of.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Hikari-Alice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2013, 07:25:14 pm »

You only need to wear your costume to judging and the presentation, unless you want to practice being onstage wearing your costume (in cases of costumes that are hard to walk in, need help up stairs, etc.). In the past there has been a pre-meeting the day before the contest, and rehearsal early morning day of.

Thanks~ I really appreciate the answers.
Not going. Very disappointed. But maybe next time. I'm not entirely sure though.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 08:26:40 am »
She beat me to the reply.  :)

Typically we have a pre-meeting on Saturday evening where everyone has to check in, then Technical rehearsal Sunday morning, costume judging mid-day, and the Cosplay contest itself in late afternoon. You only have to wear your costumes during the costume judging (if your costume is being judged) and of course during the contest itself. Some people wear part or all of their costumes for the technical rehearsal, especially if they have large props or restrictive costumes (if you know you can't see well when wearing your costume you would want to wear it during technical rehearsal so you'll know how difficult/easy it will be to get on and off stage without falling or tripping)

Near the end of August, I'll be sending out the full schedule (with detailed explanations) to all people who have pre-registered for Cosplay entries. 

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 11:25:58 pm »
I have several questions specifically for  Costume Only  judging.

1. do we have to email music for a costume-only walk-on?
2. are we required to have in-progress photos of the costume being made?
3. are we allowed to enter as 1 character, but change later to a different character?
4. do we email reference pictures, and bring them with us at-con?
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 01:19:37 pm »
I have several questions specifically for  Costume Only  judging.

1. do we have to email music for a costume-only walk-on?
2. are we required to have in-progress photos of the costume being made?
3. are we allowed to enter as 1 character, but change later to a different character?
4. do we email reference pictures, and bring them with us at-con?

Please don't email either pictures or the music. My ISP can't handle the file sizes & I can't guarantee that the files will find their way into the right hands. Therefore it's best to bring disposable CDs (because the events guys may write on them, it is recommended that you bring them). Same idea for the pictures (unless you have a question for me about the character and the picture helps) - bring them with you when you go for judging to guarantee that the judges see them at the right time.

In progress photos are not required, but sometimes they're nice to see, especially if the item you created is an undergarment that we can't see unless you undress! The photos we really need are ones that show the character's costume & props that you reproduced.

You can change the costume you're planning to enter any time between now and the judging time. If you have changed it very late (like after the pre-meeting) be sure to tell us that you've changed characters so we can update the judging sheet with the correct character name.  :)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2013, 02:58:04 pm »
lol awsome. Thank you for the answers, Runa ^^
Kumori'15

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2013, 01:04:51 am »
Hallo! I'm planning on entering this year after having a fun time with my sister's Cosplay Contest experience, but I was wondering something... I've only done one tiny cosplay contest a couple of years ago and was wondering if I should put my walk-on presentation level as Novice or Intermediate, seeing how I have a bit of stage acting experience.

As for the actual Construction judging, I'm pretty confident that I'm at Intermediate, but I've never entered or won in a cosplay contest before. Would that put me as a Novice, despite having plenty of sewing experience?

Thank you for your time!
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 10:47:23 am »
Hallo! I'm planning on entering this year after having a fun time with my sister's Cosplay Contest experience, but I was wondering something... I've only done one tiny cosplay contest a couple of years ago and was wondering if I should put my walk-on presentation level as Novice or Intermediate, seeing how I have a bit of stage acting experience.

As for the actual Construction judging, I'm pretty confident that I'm at Intermediate, but I've never entered or won in a cosplay contest before. Would that put me as a Novice, despite having plenty of sewing experience?

Thank you for your time!
sounds like you can enter as intermediate (given amount of experience).
And PLEASE consider entering a skit. If you enter as walk-on YOUR TIME ON STAGE IS NOT JUDGED - only the costume is judged.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 10:48:39 am by Runa »

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Raiphin Cosplay Facebook Page
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 04:16:51 pm »
Question! Are we going to be assigned set times for the costume judging within the judging block, or should we expect to spent the entire span of time in the Room(Panel) of Judgement?

~Raiphin~
facebook.com/RaiphinCosplay

Upcoming Cons: GGC, Akicon, Sakuracon
Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 05:03:52 pm »
You'll be given a time, but you should show up about 15 min early, in case they're ahead.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 08:11:00 pm »
cool, thanks!
~Raiphin~

Costumes: Hajime (Gatchaman CROWDS), Rise (Persona4), Meilin (CardCaptor Sakura), Mahou Shoujo Madoka (PMMM)

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2013, 06:02:55 am »
second question.... does every absolutely member of a group need to be at the pre-meeting Saturday night? Like, if two of a group of 6 or so was missing? I really want to get on the Dating Game again but don't want to blow our chances in the process. :/
~Raiphin~

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:30 am »
Only one person from your group needs to be at the pre-meeting, but everyone has to be there for rehearsal, judging, and the show itself.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Raiphin

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2013, 10:48:10 am »
Okay, that's what I figured--but it's always good to be sure. ^ - ~ I've got pretty much my whole Sunday blocked off for the contest already.
~Raiphin~

Offline WesternBorealis

• Oni
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 02:30:49 am »

Typically we have a pre-meeting on Saturday evening where everyone has to check in, then Technical rehearsal Sunday morning, costume judging mid-day, and the Cosplay contest itself in late afternoon. You only have to wear your costumes during the costume judging (if your costume is being judged) and of course during the contest itself. Some people wear part or all of their costumes for the technical rehearsal, especially if they have large props or restrictive costumes (if you know you can't see well when wearing your costume you would want to wear it during technical rehearsal so you'll know how difficult/easy it will be to get on and off stage without falling or tripping)

Near the end of August, I'll be sending out the full schedule (with detailed explanations) to all people who have pre-registered for Cosplay entries.
Do you, per chance, know or can give an estimate as to how late in the evening the pre-meeting may be? I really do want to sign up for the cosplay contest (as a walk-on), but I will be driven to the con by my folks, and since I live in Oregon, it's a little bit of a hike to go back and forth a lot. Just wondering if it's late at night or not?

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2013, 01:09:25 pm »
I don't know for certain what time it will be because the official schedule has not yet been posted. Once it's there, I'll know. If you can't make it to the pre-meeting because it's too late for you to stay, find me during the day on Saturday and I can get you marked as "checked in" and give you a quick rundown of what you would have heard at the meeting.

Offline RozenMaiden_Girl

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2013, 06:14:58 pm »
I am really tempted to do the presentation cosplay. (Walk on) Of my Calne ca. But because most of the cool stuff is in her face, I feel like the judges wouldn't see it too well.
Lolita and "lolita cosplay" are not the same thing, and ever will be. Period.

Offline WesternBorealis

• Oni
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2013, 06:55:33 pm »
Thank you so much! <3

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2013, 07:47:41 am »
I am really tempted to do the presentation cosplay. (Walk on) Of my Calne ca. But because most of the cool stuff is in her face, I feel like the judges wouldn't see it too well.

Costume judging slots are nearly full (as usual). The costumes are judged prior to the on-stage activities, so the judges get to see your costumes up close.

The skits are judged when they performed. 
We need more skits - at this time, I have only 4 skits registered.  :(  
REMEMBER: the prize for best skit in show  gets free tickets to Kumoricon next year.

Offline The L.Avator

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2013, 09:03:24 am »
This is my first time entering the cosplay contest and I have a question or two.
Do walk-on contestants have to provide music or is there stock music that we can use?

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 08:24:14 pm »
So I just read through the email, are we required to bring our own music? And if we forget to, or it is lost before, would there be a song provided for us?

And, if I'm right, the tech papers are required for the walk-ons? I'm not too sure how to fill out half of it, since it looks like some of it doesn't apply to walk-ons.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 08:25:56 pm by veraca »
Kumori'15

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 10:33:28 pm »
You may bring your own music if you want, if so, bring it on a burned CD you don't mind not getting back. If you don't supply music there will be supplied basic music.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2013, 08:32:38 am »
So I just read through the email, are we required to bring our own music? And if we forget to, or it is lost before, would there be a song provided for us?

And, if I'm right, the tech papers are required for the walk-ons? I'm not too sure how to fill out half of it, since it looks like some of it doesn't apply to walk-ons.

The tech people will be providing music for walk-on, which will be some sort of "random generic anime music from their computers", so walk-ons don't need to bring any music (consider doing a SKIT - they're cool and you get to use whatever music you want and have plenty of time on stage to show off).

The tech papers are required for all entrants. If the items don't apply leave the areas blank.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2013, 10:40:40 pm »
So, question for next year...
being a four day con next year, is it at all possible to expand the cosplay contest?
I know we have the hall cosplay contest, but i think it would make a better contest to expand it to to two days, and allow other genres of cosplayers to actually be in the contest.
I know that its a Japanese and Asian convention, but even cosplay contests from all over the world allow other genres.
Having an extra day allows for more events, and an Other Category Cosplay Contest would be a great event. That way more people could enter and fill a space on maybe day three.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2013, 09:28:15 pm »
I'll give the standard "software-style" answer: It DEPENDS.....

The rules for skits have always allowed non-anime entries.

The rules for costume judging have varied.... the recent contests were limited to Japanese/anime only because there were so many entrants that it was the only way to restrict entries. (earlier years allowed non-anime entries because we were desperate to get entries...that's no longer the case - we may have to start turning people away!!)

There is a new Programming Director this year - and the Programming Director is the one who determines whether we restrict the costume judging to just Anime entries or open it up to "all genres"....The Programming Director would also determine whether we have only one or more than one Cosplay Contest. The Programming Director is the one who has final say in the content of the Cosplay Contest rules.

Remember: there will be a Fashion Show on the last day where you can showcase any costume.....

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2013, 04:01:46 pm »
Yea but the fashion show isnt the same as the cosplay contest. Its doesn't give the same satisfaction as being in the contest.
I understand the reason for the limit, but rather than limiting the you're ofcosplay that people can enter, why not have a limit on how many of each category can enter. Maybe a cap of  50 for each of the categories that its less popular, and 100 for the others. Or something along those lines.