Author Topic: Just how much can I expect from make-up?  (Read 1961 times)

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
Just how much can I expect from make-up?
« on: August 18, 2014, 01:40:36 am »
Alright, so i know that with the right level of skill and such, make-up can make you look like anything basically. I also know that this is true mostly on the professional level such as Hollywood movies and what not. For movie actors, they have people who's career is all about make-up and costuming. So it makes sense that the magic of make-up is amazing there.

But then there is the amateur version for people such as myself.

My knowledge of make-up is no further than what I learn from watching Youtube tutorials. lol

That being said, given the difference in skill level and resources, just how much "magic" can I expect from make-up?
(Basically I'm still very concerned about pulling off my male to female crossplay....) lol

Thanks guys.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplay plans:

Kantai Collection Kongou Crossplay (Maybe)

Offline AnimalCrossing

• Cabbit
Re: Just how much can I expect from make-up?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 09:53:43 am »
Youtube tutorials are super amazing for beginners on how to work with makeup!

Offline clearscope

• Cabbit
    • My Instagram:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 10:45:06 am »
Well depending on the characters traits makeup can help for multiple uses. As you know, anime characters don't exactly have "perfect skin" lol (unless the creator made the person not have perfect skin). So usually people use foundation and concealer and all that jazz to make that "perfect skin" look.
Contouring is also a big thing, for example, if a female cosplayer wanted to cosplay a male cosplayer, they would have to make the contouring to a male face structure.
So overall, makeup can be an essential part of cosplay and can make people look completely different, depending on how you use the makeup but at the same time, makeup isn't THAT important. I hoped this helped a little?

I'm a total amateur myself, I just started learning bit by bit.

Youtube tutorials help a lot!
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 10:49:13 am by clearscope »
Kumoricon 2015 Plans (not in order):
Nakigitsune - Tourabu
Kaworu Nagisa (school) - NGE
Young Aoba Seragaki - DMMD
Nico Yazawa - Love Live
Plans may change (´;ω;`)

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 12:19:54 pm »
I meant more like;
Can make-up let anyone pass as another character, or does it still have hard limits?

As I said, on the hollywood level, make-up seems to be able to do anything, but on the amateur level, can it still get same results?

Basically, despite being fairly masculine, would a few simple youtube tutorials be enough to pass as a female for cosplay, or does that vary based on other factors beyond that?

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2014, 01:32:02 pm »
If you practice anything is possible. It just takes lots of effort. MtF make-up dosen't really need prosthetic or airbrushes or other fancy things.

You just need time. (:

However I would also say that the right wig also is very important in MtF. If you use a wig that dosen't flatter your face it could end up making you look more masculine.
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2014, 01:52:30 pm »
If you practice anything is possible. It just takes lots of effort. MtF make-up dosen't really need prosthetic or airbrushes or other fancy things.

You just need time. (:

However I would also say that the right wig also is very important in MtF. If you use a wig that dosen't flatter your face it could end up making you look more masculine.

Well, wig options are limited to the character you are trying to cosplay as. But yeah.

Offline clearscope

• Cabbit
    • My Instagram:
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 05:31:15 pm »
I meant more like;
Can make-up let anyone pass as another character, or does it still have hard limits?

As I said, on the hollywood level, make-up seems to be able to do anything, but on the amateur level, can it still get same results?

Basically, despite being fairly masculine, would a few simple youtube tutorials be enough to pass as a female for cosplay, or does that vary based on other factors beyond that?
Although you are correct about Hollywood makeup seemed to be on a whole different level. It just takes effort (like ichigo_m said) and dedication owo/. I feel that the biggest factor of all is if you just enjoy cosplaying in general and that you think did great xD. Sorry if I wasn't really helpful.
Kumoricon 2015 Plans (not in order):
Nakigitsune - Tourabu
Kaworu Nagisa (school) - NGE
Young Aoba Seragaki - DMMD
Nico Yazawa - Love Live
Plans may change (´;ω;`)