Author Topic: Things you would love to have @ KumoriCon  (Read 4368 times)

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
Things you would love to have @ KumoriCon
« on: August 04, 2014, 06:21:40 pm »
Yeah, we all have some great ways on how to enhance the KumoriCon experience. Share your ideas here.
---
A cosplay room; there was one like it @ Anime Expo and the much-maligned AkiCon; the AX room this year had a ball pit. :) So, why not?

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Things you would love to have @ KumoriCon
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 09:38:59 pm »
a "cosplay room"? What does that mean? I figure the entire con is a "cosplay room" but I don't know what you are refering to..
Do you mean like how Sakuracon has the room where you can fix your stuff (called the Cosplay Repair Station)? Or something else?  Or, since you mentioned akicon, a photoshoot room? That's what they call that. If that's what you mean, that'd be spended if Kumori had that, I'd be stoked.

If we are going off the idea of the photoshoot room, I think I want to elaborate the "backdrops"/"stages" to be:
-a BETTER looking classroom (Aki's last year finally had one and is was crap, maybe do the iconic "window corner" area like in all the animes to make it less to have to draw lol)
-the Mario style one like they also had, but a lot nicer and not just flat pieces (like make a cardboard pipe and boxes, bit just cutouts glued to the wall)
-Something akin to the hill you always see..I can't find a pic (I'm watching a bunch of stuff and skimming to find it), but it's always the same thing, there's a street with 2 lanes and it goes up a hill..and has railings, and when characters stand on it they can see the city..Or something..Like have a very stable (road) that's slightly curved where you look at the wall and the sorta, and the wall has the city on it so it looks like a romantic thing. VERY  often in anime couples or shipped characters that are not actually couples yet will look at the city from there..
I found a pic..The best I can do is one I already knew..From This Ugly Yet Beautiful Worl, but 'the city view" is always different in each one it seems..This one it's a forrest or something, but yea, you see this road in almost every anime that's a day to day slice of life thing..
http://s88.photobucket.com/user/RazorXCore_2006/media/hill_zpseda11ae8.png.html

These would all be pretty neat I think. That's just me though..Others may not like my ideas..

On the other topic I mentioned in the question above, I'm not even sure if this con has a repair station..We had someone post that they are going to be the cosplay fairy or something and have lots of repair stuff on their costume to help others, but that's only one person..We need a station..

These are really the only think I can think of because I don;t really do much else..

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:20:17 pm »
a "cosplay room"? What does that mean? I figure the entire con is a "cosplay room" but I don't know what you are refering to..
Do you mean like how Sakuracon has the room where you can fix your stuff (called the Cosplay Repair Station)? Or something else?  Or, since you mentioned akicon, a photoshoot room? That's what they call that. If that's what you mean, that'd be spended if Kumori had that, I'd be stoked.

If we are going off the idea of the photoshoot room, I think I want to elaborate the "backdrops"/"stages" to be:
-a BETTER looking classroom (Aki's last year finally had one and is was crap, maybe do the iconic "window corner" area like in all the animes to make it less to have to draw lol)
-the Mario style one like they also had, but a lot nicer and not just flat pieces (like make a cardboard pipe and boxes, bit just cutouts glued to the wall)
-Something akin to the hill you always see..I can't find a pic (I'm watching a bunch of stuff and skimming to find it), but it's always the same thing, there's a street with 2 lanes and it goes up a hill..and has railings, and when characters stand on it they can see the city..Or something..Like have a very stable (road) that's slightly curved where you look at the wall and the sorta, and the wall has the city on it so it looks like a romantic thing. VERY  often in anime couples or shipped characters that are not actually couples yet will look at the city from there..
I found a pic..The best I can do is one I already knew..From This Ugly Yet Beautiful Worl, but 'the city view" is always different in each one it seems..This one it's a forrest or something, but yea, you see this road in almost every anime that's a day to day slice of life thing..
http://s88.photobucket.com/user/RazorXCore_2006/media/hill_zpseda11ae8.png.html

These would all be pretty neat I think. That's just me though..Others may not like my ideas..

On the other topic I mentioned in the question above, I'm not even sure if this con has a repair station..We had someone post that they are going to be the cosplay fairy or something and have lots of repair stuff on their costume to help others, but that's only one person..We need a station..

These are really the only think I can think of because I don;t really do much else..

Yes, a photoshoot room! That's what I meant! Thanks for clearing my mind there. :)

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:11:48 am »
cosplay emergency room. Like they had at Sak. It was seriously a lifesaver and not all of us have hotel rooms within walking distance so having someplace with glue and mini sewing kit supplies for emergency tears or prop mishaps is an absolute blessing.

Photo room would be super awesome too!!

Offline Prince McKupo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 10:55:21 am »
I'd love to see a "Save Point" room, where con-goers can take a brief rest, without clogging up the hallways or having to go all the way back to their room  (or more importantly for those who don't have rooms).  It's essentially one of the very large ballroom type of rooms, pump the AC, stock it with filling snacks and water coolers, have calming "Save Point"-type music playing.  Maybe have a few volunteers on hand to optionally chat with, who will listen to your story, letting you unload anything you need off your chest, "saving your game" as it would be.

Let's be honest, conventions can potentially be very stressful places, so a Save Point would provide a nice relaxing out-of-the-way environment where con-goers can catch their breath and let off a little bit of steam, so they could enjoy the convention to the fullest extent as soon as they walk out the Save Point room.  I understand most would go back up to their rooms, but I guess this would be for those who don't have a room or for those who don't want to stay out of the action for too long.
Prince McKupo is back in the action, baby!  Kupo!  Now, as for my "cooling down" cosplay: Jude Mathis, with both his Xillia 1 (100%) and Xillia 2 (100%) outfits.

Offline RedEagleEX

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 10:57:00 pm »
cosplay emergency room. Like they had at Sak. It was seriously a lifesaver and not all of us have hotel rooms within walking distance so having someplace with glue and mini sewing kit supplies for emergency tears or prop mishaps is an absolute blessing.

I often hear about how these things are very important in cons. Does anyone feel like if I carry a Mini Sewing Kit that people would request it? I can order this one [size=78%]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KIDDW68?psc=1[/size]

Locating me is pretty easy as I will be mostly at the video game department (Garage at the Hilton) for most of the event. I have no problem lending out the sewing kit for anyone that needs to do repairs. (Including overnight repairs but I will work out details on this one so that one person doesn't have it majority of the time).

However I have 3 things I must say:

1) I have ZERO sewing skills. So when I lend you the kit, its gonna be 100% you to do all the repairs.
2) No Glue Gun. Unfortunately as much as I like to also provide a glue gun, that would require an outlet and I do not have the authorization to let attendees use an outlet from the video game department.
3) The video game department may not have enough room for you to do your repairs. When I lend you the kit, you can pretty much take the kit anywhere you like including your hotel room. If you don't have room, I could ask the video game manager to let you do your repairs there but they may decline.

Other then that, I will only purchase that kit if enough people think it will be useful based on the conditions I stated above. That's as much as I can offer to help.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 11:20:09 pm »

I often hear about how these things are very important in cons. Does anyone feel like if I carry a Mini Sewing Kit that people would request it? I can order this one [size=78%]http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KIDDW68?psc=1[/size]

Locating me is pretty easy as I will be mostly at the video game department (Garage at the Hilton) for most of the event. I have no problem lending out the sewing kit for anyone that needs to do repairs. (Including overnight repairs but I will work out details on this one so that one person doesn't have it majority of the time).

However I have 3 things I must say:

1) I have ZERO sewing skills. So when I lend you the kit, its gonna be 100% you to do all the repairs.
2) No Glue Gun. Unfortunately as much as I like to also provide a glue gun, that would require an outlet and I do not have the authorization to let attendees use an outlet from the video game department.
3) The video game department may not have enough room for you to do your repairs. When I lend you the kit, you can pretty much take the kit anywhere you like including your hotel room. If you don't have room, I could ask the video game manager to let you do your repairs there but they may decline.

Other then that, I will only purchase that kit if enough people think it will be useful based on the conditions I stated above. That's as much as I can offer to help.
This is very kind of you. Holy crap, I hope no one expects you to do the repairs!! They better not lol you are already being nice enough to so it in the first place, that's more than enough. Thank you very much for being a helpful attendee we need more like that. I usually also carry thread and needles and some other things for fixing (super glue, straight pins and safety pins, ect) so please come to me too. Now when I'm sora though. I have nowhere to have that stuff haha

Offline RedEagleEX

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 06:43:54 am »
This is very kind of you. Holy crap, I hope no one expects you to do the repairs!! They better not lol you are already being nice enough to so it in the first place, that's more than enough. Thank you very much for being a helpful attendee we need more like that. I usually also carry thread and needles and some other things for fixing (super glue, straight pins and safety pins, ect) so please come to me too. Now when I'm sora though. I have nowhere to have that stuff haha

I'll order the kit then tonight since there seems to be some interest in this. Here is pretty much what my kit will offer:

+Mini Sewing Kit
+Replenishing Safety Pins (Various Sizes)
+Replenishing Emergency Bandaids

The buttons and threads will be the only things I won't be able to resupply in the kit. So once they are gone they are gone. Bandaids are there incase you some how poke/cut yourself. (I will include at least 4 in the kit at all times) Also in the event that you do poke/cut yourself, please report this to me when returning the kit! I will sterilize the the equipment so the next person that I loan it to will feel safe about using it. I'll remind people of this at the convention too when I loan it out.

Other then that, if anyone wants a direct information about the status of the kit during the convention, you can message me on here and I will provide you with a cell phone that you can text. When I provide this number to you, only use it from Day Zero to Last Day and only to ask if the Mini Sewing Kit is available or not. You can also use this number to text me on where I am at if you are unable to locate me at the video game department and need the sewing kit. I'll give you an ETA on when I will arrive.

Returning the kit back to me will be pretty easy. Either directly to me @ the video game department or at a designated spot @ the video game department if you are unable to locate me directly.

If anyone else has suggestions on what else you want me to include in the kit, don't hesitate to ask! I will note that anything liquid I will decline such as glues.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 08:33:06 am »
That is awfully kind of you =D I usually carry some safety pins on me and makeup. When I am Ariel I will be traveling via wagon so I have plenty of space to store stuff. I just cannot afford to buy a whole sewing kit. I can however grab a  few thread spools from home and a needle or two and small scissors. I usually have hair spray on me for wig fixes too.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2014, 11:00:37 am »
I'd love to see a "Save Point" room, where con-goers can take a brief rest, without clogging up the hallways or having to go all the way back to their room  (or more importantly for those who don't have rooms).  It's essentially one of the very large ballroom type of rooms, pump the AC, stock it with filling snacks and water coolers, have calming "Save Point"-type music playing.  Maybe have a few volunteers on hand to optionally chat with, who will listen to your story, letting you unload anything you need off your chest, "saving your game" as it would be.

Let's be honest, conventions can potentially be very stressful places, so a Save Point would provide a nice relaxing out-of-the-way environment where con-goers can catch their breath and let off a little bit of steam, so they could enjoy the convention to the fullest extent as soon as they walk out the Save Point room.  I understand most would go back up to their rooms, but I guess this would be for those who don't have a room or for those who don't want to stay out of the action for too long.

I like this idea, it would be awfully nice if there was a cool and quiet place for people to rest!

There are many places to sit in The Hilton, some spots have better AC contact than others; but there's always a risk of being crowded by lines.
Last year, there were long lines for some of the voice actor panels on the bottom floor and even if I was sitting down away from the major lines, some lines were looped through the halls and I'd be face-to-thigh level at some points.

I don't mind it too much, but I know that there are some people with anxiety issues who will need somewhere to go if things get too overwhelming.

As for sewing kits, I met some lovely people in previous years who found creative and inexpensive ways to carry their sewing supplies; such as some thread, pins, needles and scissors in an unused pill bottle or camera film canister.

-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline RedEagleEX

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2014, 06:59:54 pm »
Okay, update on the Mini-Sewing Kit. This is pretty much what you can request from me:

+Mini Sewing Kit
+Replenish-able Safety Pins (Various Sizes)
+4 Band Aids for incidents (Also Replenish-able)

In addition to the items above, I was asked if i could also carry a Tide to go stick for emergencies too. You can request this from me separate from the Mini Sewing Kit. (Note: These things aren't super magical and generally works best on fresh stains. The longer you hesitate, the effects is reduced. Just keep that in mind.)

Hopefully none of you will need these things during Kumoricon! But if you do, don't be afraid to ask me! As a reminder I will be located in the Hilton Garage at the Video Game Department. (Day 1 - 4)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2014, 07:05:08 pm »
That's fantastic! You're doing a really great thing with that idea. *thumbs up* ^_^

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2014, 01:39:37 am »
Going along with that 'save point' room of rest idea, great. But that kind of space can get very loud.

I personally find myself hiding in the manga reading room if I want peace and quiet. A room dedicated to quiet would be very nice. Maybe soothing traditional Japanese music (or soundscapes?) would be really nice. Just a small room, fit say 25-50 people, and have it kind of as a relaxing area, perhaps with the door closed so the hall noise doesn't travel in.
To add, the room would be 'closed' and not in operation during regular sleep hours- say 9pm until 9am- when it's really not needed except by the staff if they want to rest. And staff only, in that case. You don't want people falling asleep in there- which already happens in the viewing rooms at night.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2014, 07:51:50 am »
Personally, I'd like to see a daycare room.  That way, parents can bring their little ones and can drop them off for a few hours during times in which they'd like to be kid free.  That would probably require obtaining some type of license, I'd bet.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh