Author Topic: Anti-Cosplay-Bully heros (Another badge sticker idea???)  (Read 12530 times)

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
Anti-Cosplay-Bully heros (Another badge sticker idea???)
« on: August 04, 2014, 09:51:50 am »
So I had a thought while reading the most annoying things about con and some of the anxieties on the FB group. What if there were a certain colored sticker or sticker object theme to put on your badge to signal that you are here to help de-stress and get your mind off con-drama if you have had a bad day or are new and not sure who to talk to? Like a safe group kinda?

This stems from my belief that as cosplayers we should support each other and not feed in to elitist behavior and not put others down. Most of us know what it is like to be bullied in school, why would we want to bring that into our cosplay community? We want con to be fun and happy for all. Lets take steps to make it that way! This is what Heros of cosplay should do. Be good examples.

-IMPORTANT NOTE-

This is NOT meant to be a group to go GOSSIP about other cosplayers. You can tell us what happened but please refrain from providing names unless it was something really serious that probably should be taken to a staff member. I just think that it is counter intuitive to spend a ton of time hating on someone even if they did something bad. Tell us what happened, get your hugs, and then lets make you laugh and make it BETTER. =]

Who would be interested in this idea and willing to participate? What kind of stickers would you suggest?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 10:01:06 am by Black~Rose »

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
Re: Anti-Cosplay-Bully heros (Another badge sticker idea???)
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:07:03 am »
I like the idea, but the stickers would have to be big enough to see but couldnt cover anything on the badge.
--------------------------------
You. Ya, you. Hi. Have a nice day. You're beautiful inside and out. ( ^ω^) 🐼

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:27:55 am »
I would be willing to help de-stress people, i tend to be not affected by con drama if any.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:48:13 am »
This is true. We could do like a smiley face pin too? Or be reaaally cheap and print a little thing out and tape it to the badge so it hangs off it. That would solve the issue of it covering anything.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:52:23 am »
I would be willing to help de-stress people, i tend to be not affected by con drama if any.

Awesom! =]
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 11:52:40 am by Black~Rose »

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 05:55:53 pm »
I would say maybe something universal but neutral that show good faith. The smiley face can be mistaken for a watchmen thing.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:48:27 am »
I like the idea of hanging something on the badge. Like the Hall Cosplay ribbons the past few years, they just attach it to the badge's bottom.

Also, I love this idea and am totally on board. I am all about making everyone's Kumoricon the best it can be (and I hate bullies and want to counter that with all the love that I've got in my beard and guts).

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 09:04:57 am »
On FB Jon mentioned that it could be abused. Is there a way we could possibly avoid this being abused? I guess at the very least it is a good Ice breaker to talk about the smiley hanging off our badge. Maybe we can have it saying something? I can make a graphic that can be printed out ONLY from this thread. That way it makes it hard to take it and use it for the wrong reasons.

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2014, 09:09:59 am »
Yeah, the problem is nothing is troll-proof. It seems silly, but mean people will go to great lengths to keep being mean. Buh.

If there is a way to do it though, I'd say it's a good idea.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:14:44 am »
I guess the best way is to still make it clear that those of us wearing this badge will not offer anyone they are not already friends with to come to their hotel room or anywhere secluded away from staff and con grounds. This way if someone wearing it is suggesting things like that they will seem fishy like they should. This is a safety measure. As for people being mean while wearing it, hopefully someone will see it who is wearing it for the right reasons and stop the trolling from continuing?

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2014, 11:18:21 am »
These are just my two cents... but you could say the same thing about almost anything that identifies a person as a part of a community. Someone could wear a Kumoricon badge, making people think they love anime (or at least want to be friends with those who do)... then turn around and start mocking people as wee****s. Someone could wear a My Little Pony cosplay, and pretend to be a Brony, then start ridiculing other people for being Bronies. And so on.

It's not the fault of whatever the troll is wearing to pretend they can be trusted, it's the fault of the troll.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2014, 12:16:53 pm »
These are just my two cents... but you could say the same thing about almost anything that identifies a person as a part of a community. Someone could wear a Kumoricon badge, making people think they love anime (or at least want to be friends with those who do)... then turn around and start mocking people as wee****s. Someone could wear a My Little Pony cosplay, and pretend to be a Brony, then start ridiculing other people for being Bronies. And so on.

It's not the fault of whatever the troll is wearing to pretend they can be trusted, it's the fault of the troll.

I'm trying to figure out to what this is in response to and what you mean persay.. Do you mean that trolls will be trolls with everything and it is not the fault of the group itself but rather the trolls?

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2014, 12:59:51 pm »
Pretty close.

It was in response to the idea that the stickers could be abused: If a troll (or someone with bad intentions) wears one of the stickers and acts horrible towards someone, it's not the fault of the sticker. It's the fault of the person wearing it.

It's always possible that someone will be untrustworthy, no matter what they wear - but I hope that wouldn't stop people from trying to find someone to talk to, and this could be a good way to do so. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2014, 02:12:49 pm »
okay =] I hope that this is more helpful than it is harmful via people who decide to be bad people masquerading as good people.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2014, 10:15:41 pm »
Since this was brought up in another thread I said it there, but last year my friend had a similar thing going o..She gave me and the other roomies (we all agreed to wear them) these sticky backed ribbon things. Like they are ribbons on the front, and a hard back that is like card stock..And you take off the top half of the backing to reveal a sticker like sticky back. We put them on the bottom of the badge holders. This way there was no covering of the badge, it hung puretty low (it's about 1.5" in height, and the width of the badge holder) and a SUPER noticeable color. And it has words on it that are akin to this basic idea. Like I'm someone that you can go to if you are having trouble, and i'll drop what I'm doing to get someone to help, or help if I can.

I honestly DO think there are people out there that will abuse this though. However, I feel that number will be so small that it's not likely to be a problem..Obviously no one doeing that would be much more ideal, but hey, that's life..

If you end up having something to attach, feel free to talk to me before con and maybe I can met you on day 0 and help hand them out.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 02:47:36 pm »
I work till 5pm on day zero and I'm from salem T_T But that idea sounds good. What color were the ribbons? That is a brilliant way to attach them but what is the cost of the materials to do this?

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2014, 04:47:57 pm »
I'll just keep all the answers hee..More appropriate than the other thread..

I would love to help out as much as I can..However I don't have answers to any of your questions..I had nothing to do with them. The person we roomed with was just like "hey we have these, blah blah blah wanna wear them and help out" and we agreed..So you'd have to look into your owmn method..I think having a length of ribbon in a certain color would help to identify..Like a bright red ribbon or something is super noticeable..Maybe I can make a whole bunch with pins and we can pin them to the badge holder thing.. like this:
http://s88.photobucket.com/user/RazorXCore_2006/media/badge_zpsfe61bd65.png.html

Obviously I exaggerated it a lot..I didn't realize when I made it it would cover the badge with the long parts, but those can be made shorter..Anyway, I can make a TON of them to hand out..If you want, I can give them to you once you arrive..Or I can make a bunch and mail them to you..But you'd need to pay for shipping, but you'd get a crap ton..

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 09:15:53 am »
I think the bows are a great idea~! We just need to decide on a color. They can even be handed out in a length of ribbon and tied to the Lanyard / part that connects the badge to you! I will be there SUPER early on the first day haha I am leaving Salem around 4 / 5 am

Offline kuroki-neko

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 12:18:41 pm »
maybe blue bows or a color that's soothing.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 04:08:10 pm »
Well if I remember correctly, the badges have a lot of blue in them (I think it was kinda like a teal, almost like Miku's hair color) so blue ribbons might just blend in from a certain distance..Red really pops against blue, which is the reason behind it..Also, when you see red things, it's usually a helpful thing..Think about it, fire trucks are red, ambulances have red as a popping color, those EMT or whatever vehicles are red, things like that, you see the red on helpful things, so it's an instinct or something..

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2014, 11:40:32 am »
why not find rainbow ribbon? lol I'm sure it exists and it would definitely pop.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2014, 12:57:55 pm »
why not find rainbow ribbon? lol I'm sure it exists and it would definitely pop.
That could work, but it may more be mistaken for a gay pride thing..Not that that's bad or anything, but what would you rather have, someone look at a color and remember "oh that's the color of ribbon for the help" or "Is that a help one? Or is that a gay pride one?" I think making sure it's not already a universal symbol for something already huge would be better..Because rainbow ribbons are already a normal sign for gay pride/support, which might confuse people.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2014, 03:32:07 pm »
This is true. A neon green would work. Its not used currently and its unlikely to blend with anything.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2014, 03:45:33 pm »
This is true. A neon green would work. Its not used currently and its unlikely to blend with anything.
Yea, ok that should work. Honestly as long as it isn't a color that can be confused with anything else, or blend in with the color of the badge, then I think it's good.

Also Neon Green is easy to find. If you want I can go ahead and make a bunch in that color..You can PM me and we can talk about getting some over to you..But this will need to happen NOW..like, its getting way too close to con and if we keep waiting too long, there won't be any time to do them..

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2014, 04:01:22 pm »
Thats why I said I think its something that should happen next year. I don't think I could handle pulling it all together this year. I have a lot of stress of my own outside of con to handle right at this moment. So I think it best to gather a following and try to make this happen next con. And I can certainly prepare them myself for next con so no worries on that one.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 04:03:17 pm by Black~Rose »

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2014, 04:42:50 pm »
Oh....Nvm then haha
I can make a bunch by next year..

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2014, 07:06:28 pm »
Hey, found my badge from last year..I couldn't find it before..Forgot where it was haha But here is the badge and you can see the ribbony thing on it:

I was wrong, I guess the peel-off-to-stick side was on the FRONT and you put it behind hanging off as to further not be even able to cover anything..Anyway, yea..This was it..

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #27 on: August 15, 2014, 11:20:58 pm »
I like that it has the words back up on it. It makes it more obvious what it is for

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2014, 05:29:37 pm »
Yea it does. It also has a URL on it. HOWEVER!! It's VERY hard to see..This is in very good lighting and obviously very close up, and it's still hard as heck to see. If we had anything with words on it, it needs to be noticeable, unlike that one..

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 06:43:17 am »
Black words on neon green would work.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 08:01:56 pm »
Black words on neon green would work.

Yea, but....I have no idea how to do those..Remember, my friend gave me that..I'm pretty sure SHE doesn't even know because I'm pretty sure she got them from another person too..So while having that would be great, it won't be if e can't even make them..

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2014, 11:22:12 pm »
T-shirt print shops ect.. they probably will do stuff like that.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2014, 12:05:37 am »
Oh..didn't know that haha

Would it be possible if you can look into it? You seem to know more than I do on that so....If it's too costly I might not be able to help outside of handing them out. I can't really afford to pay for a bunch on those made. With ribbons all I gotta do is buy the ribbon for a good 3 bucks and that's a ton of them already.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2014, 03:58:59 am »
This could be a good idea.  It does tend to be a strange problem that we have at cons, so having some support for those victimized by this sort of thing could be beneficial.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2014, 05:37:45 pm »
yeah ^^ I can look into it. If anything The ribbon can be a lanyard and attached to a card that says the purpose which can be mass printed for cheap.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 10:53:21 am »
yeah ^^ I can look into it. If anything The ribbon can be a lanyard and attached to a card that says the purpose which can be mass printed for cheap.

The reason I didn't say anything about doing lanyards is because most cosplayers hate wearing them. They are a pain in the butt to take off for a picture. That's why most cosplayers don't wear the lanyard that you get with badges at cons. It's to much hassle. A lot of people that do this thing, will not want to have a lanyard style. If it's already on the badge that they are quickly taking off for pics so the stuff ain't in the picture, they will be more inclined to take it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 10:53:40 am by Sailor-Jeimi »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 04:09:36 pm »
Most cosplayers that I've seen don't mind the badge.  They will still pose for pictures as if there's no badge around.  I don't think a second would be a big deal.  Though personally, I think the ribbon idea would just be better for this type of thing.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 04:47:34 pm »
yeah. A simple ribbon to tie around whatever. Just making sure its the color for it.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: August 21, 2014, 04:54:28 pm »
...I'm not really sure if I'd go with gray writing on purple fabric.  Maybe green writing on orange fabric...?  Make it so that the fabric is easy to spot AND that the writing can be read.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 11:04:24 am »
If lanyards are a no-go, how about making a ribbon that's attached to a clip-on?

It would be easier to take off and it won't damage any costumes since they wouldn't have any sharp pin backs.

Orange is a good and noticeable color!
Could use dark green or red text on orange...
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2014, 02:21:35 pm »
If lanyards are a no-go, how about making a ribbon that's attached to a clip-on?

It would be easier to take off and it won't damage any costumes since they wouldn't have any sharp pin backs.

Orange is a good and noticeable color!
Could use dark green or red text on orange...
That's what my idea IS. I have a bunch of pin backs that are just sitting there. I can see them to ribbon and then if they wanna pin them to anything, they have the option? As well as it can be secured to the badge holder strap.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 11:39:50 pm »
I like Orange it reminds me of pumpkins and caution signs. Which is a good connection. Slow down, caution, but not quite STOP. Yeah the pin backs would be a good idea.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2014, 08:33:58 am »
I like Orange it reminds me of pumpkins and caution signs. Which is a good connection. Slow down, caution, but not quite STOP. Yeah the pin backs would be a good idea.

Orange is a nice vibrant color. that would be ok too.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 07:59:38 pm »
Since con is getting closer (though still quite far) is this discussion gonna reopen? I can still make the ribbon bows outta whatever color..I can make a bunch..Like I have a plastic case thing (like to hold junk in or whatever) and it's quite big and I can fill it with bows to hand out..I can make more too and refill it when they run out.

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 01:37:43 pm »
You know, some people and i are wanting to run a cosplay meet Etiqutte panel this year and we will.to.be discussing cosplay bullying and If we do decide to do the panel, some ribbons could be given out and explained there. Just a thought.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 02:35:16 pm »
You know, some people and i are wanting to run a cosplay meet Etiqutte panel this year and we will.to.be discussing cosplay bullying and If we do decide to do the panel, some ribbons could be given out and explained there. Just a thought.

That sounds good. If you meet me at the con before your panel (any time before, doesn't matter when) I can give you a ton of them to hand out.
Since I don't know when you are planning this panel for (like day and time) I don't know if it's something I can attend myself and hand them out while you are talking about that subject.

If you want, as con draws near and you figure out the time and day, I can see about handing them out while you are talking about the bullying subject.

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2015, 03:09:49 pm »

That sounds good. If you meet me at the con before your panel (any time before, doesn't matter when) I can give you a ton of them to hand out.
Since I don't know when you are planning this panel for (like day and time) I don't know if it's something I can attend myself and hand them out while you are talking about that subject.

If you want, as con draws near and you figure out the time and day, I can see about handing them out while you are talking about the bullying subject.

Okay, sounds good. Ill figure out approximatley when wed like to have the panel such, than we could talk more :)

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2015, 08:05:29 pm »
Whenever you find out the panel stuff, message me and let me know what's going on.

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2015, 07:23:37 pm »
I hope this isn't getting posted on a dead thread, but what about the problem of deciding what the ribbon will say?  The purple ribbon's "Back Up" message confused me at first, sounding more like "Back off, you're too close!"  It would be a terrible irony if others made that same interpretation, and caused them to avoid anyone with a Back Up ribbon.

As a whole, I think that wearing a ribbon to show that you're there to help and guide anyone who needs it is a fabulous idea; as a con veteran, I make it a personal crusade to help out at every con newbie I can at conventions.  A ribbon that points this out to people who are feeling lost and/or confused is something I'd really like to wear!

Maybe an overall name for the ribbon-wearers would be helpful - The Calvary, maybe?  It automatically makes people think of "help when you really need it," and the word Cavalry could fit quite neatly onto a ribbon.
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #49 on: March 27, 2015, 09:13:19 pm »
I hope this isn't getting posted on a dead thread, but what about the problem of deciding what the ribbon will say?  The purple ribbon's "Back Up" message confused me at first, sounding more like "Back off, you're too close!"  It would be a terrible irony if others made that same interpretation, and caused them to avoid anyone with a Back Up ribbon.

As a whole, I think that wearing a ribbon to show that you're there to help and guide anyone who needs it is a fabulous idea; as a con veteran, I make it a personal crusade to help out at every con newbie I can at conventions.  A ribbon that points this out to people who are feeling lost and/or confused is something I'd really like to wear!

Maybe an overall name for the ribbon-wearers would be helpful - The Calvary, maybe?  It automatically makes people think of "help when you really need it," and the word Cavalry could fit quite neatly onto a ribbon.

No no. The ribbons won't say anything on them. I only posted that to show what someone I knew had done. I used it as an example. The ribbons will just be a color.