Author Topic: "What the heck is Super Sentai?"/"What's a Kamen Rider?" panels (APPROVED!)  (Read 2160 times)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
Hey everyone! "What the Heck is Super Sentai?" is back again this year to teach people about rainbow superheroes in spandex! Same as last year, I'll be going through each individual show in order from 1975 onward to this year's current iteration. Ever seen Power Rangers? Super Sentai is what Saban makes Power Rangers out of with recycled footage. There are years and years worth of shows that never made it to the US, so you should stop by if you want to know more!

(Fair warning: if you came last year you won't be seeing anything new and you may get bored.)

HOWEVER! This year I'm adding a new panel to the tokusatsu madness lineup! I've had a few requests for it at previous conventions, so this year I'm also doing a panel to introduce people to the Kamen Rider franchise called "What's a Kamen Rider?" It'll have the same general premise as my Super Sentai panel, with a presentation on each individual series from 1971 onward to this year's current iteration, and media sprinkled throughout.

This show is less well-known in the US because of the abject failure of Saban's attempt to translate the franchise over (nobody remembers Saban's Masked Rider and those that do refuse to speak of it, and we REALLY don't talk about Dragon Knight) so if you'd like to learn about something you've probably never heard of but has 40-odd years of history on television, come on by and I'll try to keep you all entertained!

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them here!

Offline Hacchan

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
I'm psyched for "What's a Kamen Rider"! I remember seeing the Super Sentai panel in the program last year, and I thought to myself, "Well what about Kamen Rider"? I beyond thrilled to see a KR panel this year!

• Bunnygirl
I'm glad you're psyched! You should come to my Garo panel too if you're interested in KR, since Garo is basically Keita Amemiya's take on the concept (with Shougeki Gouraigan being his take on the Sentai concept)

Also, the final panel times and places have been announced!

What the Heck is Super Sentai is Friday night, 6:00 to 7:30pm, in Panels 3 in the Hilton

What the Heck's a Kamen Rider is Sunday night, 6:30 to 8PM, in the Workshop room (Heritage E) in the Hilton

Offline Devil Bat

• Oni
I'm a huge Kamen Rider fan and will actually be cosplaying Kouta from KR Gaim if I can manage to go to the Con (lack of a ride and hotel room are killing my con plans right now). If I do actually go though then I'll be there for sure.

• Bunnygirl
Cool! I'm not sure what I'll be cosplaying the day I present this panel, it may end up being something completely unrelated since I'll be doing cosplay contest stuff until 30min before orz