Author Topic: Fixing a part of my costume  (Read 4489 times)

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
Fixing a part of my costume
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:13:05 pm »
Sigh, have to re type this whole post cause the page glitched on me...

*cough*

So I got my Kongou costume in the mail the other day. (Character:) http://animeitem.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/%E0%B8%9B%E0%B8%A5%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AB%E0%B8%A1%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%99%E0%B8%82%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%87-Kantai-Collection.jpg
It fits pretty good and all, but as I kind of expected, the socks aren't quite tall enough imo, and they don't stay up when I walk or move. Granted, my thighs /are/ pretty thick compared to anywhere else on my body..... sigh. (Don't confuse that with me being fat. I'm not. lol)
Anyways, I was planning to go online and order a pair of thigh high socks to use as a better quality alternative. It solves the height issue I would imagine and should just fit better overall.

However, I imagine they will still probably slide down just the same as before so I want to know if using a garter belt or something like that would be a decent solution, or if it would ruin the cosplay?

Also, is there such thing as fabric glue or fabric paint/dye?
I lack sewing skills, so I am aiming for an alternative for attaching the brown part at the top of her socks.

Any input guys?

Thanks.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplay plans:

Kantai Collection Kongou Crossplay (Maybe)

Offline Azuraschampion

• Chibi
Re: Fixing a part of my costume
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 11:38:18 pm »
Ive used Spirit gum to great effect holding up my stockings before. Doesnt damage the fabric or irritate my skin either.
And as for the glue, most glue is fabric safe. Itll say on the description whether it is or not though.
DA:http://azuraschampion.deviantart.com/
Cosplays for Kumoricon 2014, days may change
Day 0: Tifa Lockhart
Day 1: Ruby Rose
Day 2: Mother's Rosario Kirito/ Erza Scarlet
Day 3: Kuroyukihime/ Tifa Lockhart/ Secret cosplay
Day 4: Erza Scarlet

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 11:45:12 pm »
Ive used Spirit gum to great effect holding up my stockings before. Doesnt damage the fabric or irritate my skin either.
And as for the glue, most glue is fabric safe. Itll say on the description whether it is or not though.

Spirit Gum?

Oh yeah, I've heard about a skin style glue. But how does that work exactly? I would imagine it coming loose with any major flex in the skin surface.

Offline Papa Fox

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:52:28 am »
I made a Miku Hatsune costume for my daughter the year before last for Halloween. The leggings have a blue band up top and I assumed I would have to rig it up with fabric paint because everyone says you cant just stitch into sheer leggings but I did it anyway and the leggings with the band are still holding up.
The material for the band was course with a just a bit of stretch (so it hangs on to the leg) and the leggings were waist high which I just cut into two thigh high. To attach the material you have to stretch both as you run it through the sewing machine. It takes a bit of finesse but just keep in mind smooth, steady, and don't hurry; the job is smaller than it seems.
I asked if it was comfy enough and she said yes so at the very least you could try it for cheap. Jo-anns has plenty of cheap stretch material and if you are lucky you can probably find more than enough in the clearance remnant bin, and the leggings don't have to be fancy, Fred Meyer has them on sale all the time.
If you need more detail on the technique or materials let me know. The pair I made cost less than $6 total.

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 12:40:39 pm »
Spirit gum seems a bit excessive; I'd recommend getting some sock glue to keep your socks up. That's a link to the Sock Dreams website, but if you're in Portland, they also have a retail store where you can pick things up in person. If they carry the sort of sock you need, I'd recommend getting them there too.

I'd also recommend making physical cuffs and gluing them onto your socks, instead of trying to paint them on - they'll look better 3D instead of 2D. Incidentally, it looks like that character is wearing thigh-high boots, not socks - you might want to make or commission boot covers instead.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 12:41:24 pm by Acheron »
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Papa Fox

• Oni
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »
I took a closer look at the costume and I would not recommend fabric paint at all. I would not even recommend a stretch material for the stalking top to be honest, what you want is some moleskin (or equivalent) in chocolate brown. I used some for a pair of faux-hide gauntlets I made once (just a versatile accessory I have used/loaned for ranger type costumes.) anyhow, the top needs to be stitched in while inside the stalking and then flipped out so it can hang over the brim. You will need some pins to stretch the stalkings and keep them in place while you sew them to the "hide" flap. The top piece is does not need to be solid, there is room for a slit up front which will be where the stalking has some give (so it can contour). This should maintain enough tensile integrity to stay up where it is supposed to. After you get the top the way you like it opening the bottom so it can integrate to your footwear should be easy. I made a pair of brown vinyl leg covers for my brown leather boots. I was skeptical about covers a few years back but they blend nicely.
Hope this helps.
Also, Fred Meyer has a sale on Legale brand leggings, like 60% off, if you are near Orchards Vancouver. Legale is the brand I used for my daughter's Miku Hatsune costume, they are cheap but they last.

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:06 pm »
Spirit gum seems a bit excessive; I'd recommend getting some sock glue to keep your socks up. That's a link to the Sock Dreams website, but if you're in Portland, they also have a retail store where you can pick things up in person. If they carry the sort of sock you need, I'd recommend getting them there too.

I'd also recommend making physical cuffs and gluing them onto your socks, instead of trying to paint them on - they'll look better 3D instead of 2D. Incidentally, it looks like that character is wearing thigh-high boots, not socks - you might want to make or commission boot covers instead.

Well, yes technically Kongou is wearing boots, but they are snug enough to pass as over the knee socks with some sort of matching shoe for the feet. Like, that is how 99% of the cosplay attempts at her I've seen go about it.
Not to discount what you said, but for that part, I'm not really wanting to make it harder than it needs to be ya know? lol

@Papa Fox: The paint wasn't for the socks. I was just asking that as a broad question.

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 09:02:25 pm »
Two words:  Hollywood Tape.  It is your friend.  You can find it at pharmacies and/or grocery stores.  They're strips of clear double-sided tape that come in little pink boxes and tins, and they are phenomenal.  They stick to both clothing and skin, so if you use a couple strips around the tops of the socks against your leg, it should help keep them in place.
Find me on:

Facebook:  Uptown Otaku
Tumblr:  uptownotakucosplay
YouTube:  UptovvnOtaku
Instagram:  uptownotaku
Fanfiction.net:  UptownOtaku
DeviantART:  uptownotaku

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 09:56:22 pm »
Two words:  Hollywood Tape.  It is your friend.  You can find it at pharmacies and/or grocery stores.  They're strips of clear double-sided tape that come in little pink boxes and tins, and they are phenomenal.  They stick to both clothing and skin, so if you use a couple strips around the tops of the socks against your leg, it should help keep them in place.

They have it at fabric stores too like joannes (which often have coupons in the sunday paper or online)  and double sided hem tape also is pretty good, a lot like the Hollywood tape
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 03:22:46 pm »
Alright, good news and bad news now.

The good news is that I found a pair of socks that are proper length now and look decent.

The bad news is that instead of sliding down when I walk or stand, one of them has a tendency to curl or roll at the top and then roll itself down a ways....

I still need to add on the brown band piece on the top of the socks to complete the look. I assume that would solve the rolling issue if it was directly attached to the sock. However, until I know for sure how it will be applied, I was wondering if that sock glue stuff would still work here?

I know the glue stops the sliding down part, but does it also stop the sock from rolling at the top?

And also, if push comes to shove, would a garter belt of some kind work for this, or would it ruin the character?

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2014, 08:46:42 am »
Alright, good news and bad news now.

The good news is that I found a pair of socks that are proper length now and look decent.

The bad news is that instead of sliding down when I walk or stand, one of them has a tendency to curl or roll at the top and then roll itself down a ways....

I still need to add on the brown band piece on the top of the socks to complete the look. I assume that would solve the rolling issue if it was directly attached to the sock. However, until I know for sure how it will be applied, I was wondering if that sock glue stuff would still work here?

I know the glue stops the sliding down part, but does it also stop the sock from rolling at the top?

And also, if push comes to shove, would a garter belt of some kind work for this, or would it ruin the character?

In my experience, sock glue stops rolling as well as sliding. It's really just body- and clothing-safe glue that you put in a ring around your leg and stick the top of the sock to.
Kumoricon 2014: