Author Topic: Does voice advice count as Cosplay?  (Read 1571 times)

Offline Z_Skie

• Cabbit
Does voice advice count as Cosplay?
« on: June 27, 2014, 03:02:48 am »
Hello I am trying to learn a French accent to make my Seychelles cosplay better. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about this? I think I can make the r sound okay but I don't think that is enough.  Even phrases I could practice with a french accent
I will be cosplaying 2014:
Seychelles
Fem Luigi

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
Re: Does voice advice count as Cosplay?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 10:45:01 am »
Well, I took French for two years in high school, so maybe I can think of a few things...?  Uh, let me just wing this!  8)

Things to note:

• The "r" sound is definitely tricky, but if you've got that down, it already makes you that much more convincing!  It's that almost-gargling sound that only sounds pretty when it's done right.  I've tried teaching this sound to my mother and she just can't grasp it; I hear it's easiest to learn when you're young.
  • Where we pronounce "o" sounds in English, like in the word "actor", for example, the French would make a "euh" sound, so the word would sound like "acteur" coming from them.  Basically, when an "o" sound comes before that infamous "r", it makes that "euh" sound.  Other times, such as in the word "coming" or "going", it would sound fairly normal.
  • "Th" sounds in English, such as the word "the", sound different coming from the French, as well, considering that "th" is never used in French.  It's almost a "z" sound.  In movies they often exaggerate it too much and make "the" sound like "zee".  In reality, it's more between a "z" and an "s", so it's more "see"-ish.  Or if you say "the" like "thuh" and not "thee", the French would say something like "zuh".
  • Also, "i" sounds, such as in the word "is", is elongated to many French speakers, to make it sound more like "eez".
So in the sentence, "There is much to be done here", the French would pronounce it like, "ZaiR eez much to be done heeR."  Or something like that.

Hope this helps at least a little bit.  If you have any questions, I shall do my best to answer them!  ;)
Find me on:

Facebook:  Uptown Otaku
Tumblr:  uptownotakucosplay
YouTube:  UptovvnOtaku
Instagram:  uptownotaku
Fanfiction.net:  UptownOtaku
DeviantART:  uptownotaku

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 02:13:16 pm »
There are probably guides online. YouTube most likely has accent and diction guides. Although be careful of regions! French doesn't sound the same everywhere!

Offline BrokenPsyche

• Sailor Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:19:05 am »
When my older sister was in highschool she was in improv and they taught accents. So if you go to a local highschool and look for a drama teacher they might be able to help!