Author Topic: 60 Minutes with Maka & Soul/Crona (APPROVED!)  (Read 4069 times)

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
60 Minutes with Maka & Soul/Crona (APPROVED!)
« on: June 25, 2014, 12:07:41 pm »
Introducing 2 Soul Eater Panels:
Maka and Soul: 60 Minutes
and Maka and Crona: 60 Minutes
for Kumoricon 2014

UPDATE:  Both panels have been approved and the time slots for them have been set!

• Maka and Soul: 60 Minutes will be on Day 1, August 29, from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM in room Heritage E.
  • Maka and Crona:  60 Minutes will be on Day 2, August 30, from 10:30 PM - 11:30 PM, also in room Heritage E.
This year's obsession for my elder sister and I is Soul Eater, so we thought it fitting to dedicate out first panel to it!  My sister (hereafter referred to as "Eika") will be cosplaying Maka Albarn for both panels and I ("Uptown" or "UptownOtaku", whichever you prefer) will be cosplaying as Soul "Eater" Evans for the first and Crona for the second.  We believe it's important to feel confident in a panel's orchestrator(s) and their ability to run a panel smoothly, so here's a little about the two of us so you can feel a bit better that this won't be a shoddily thrown-together panel by people who have absolutely no clue what they're doing:

2014 will be Eika's and my third year attending Kumoricon, and since our first time we have stepped our cosplay game way up.  I am a college fashion designer/costumer and actress, and we have both taken public speaking classes and know how to address a crowd.  We both take our characters very seriously and value accuracy to costume and character as our #1 priority.  When we're in character, we want it to be believable, credible, and true.

In terms of the panel itself, it will be rated PG-13 so that we can have plenty of freedom without losing much or any of our potential audience.  As the title implies, it will be an hour (60 minutes) long.  I requested a room with a table at the head with two microphones, one for each panelist so you can hear us, plenty of seats for you, and a projector, which will come in handy for some events we plan on hosting.

So far, we have compiled the following list of possible activities:

For both panels...
  • Q&A - Audience members will be given the opportunity and encouraged to ask questions of the panelists, both in- and out-of-character, by prefacing their questions with either the character's name or the panelists' desired aliases.  All questions confined within the panel's PG-13 rating can be asked, but panelists can, of course, reserve the right to bypass (or humorously dance around) a question if it is uncomfortable or inappropriate in some way.
  • Truth or Dare - Audience members and panelists can engage in a good ol' fashioned game of truth or dare!  All requests restricted to the PG-13 rating are acceptable, but panelists can refuse (or cleverly weasel out of) a request they find uncomfortable or inappropriate.
  • Fanfiction Reading - Panelists will present one or two selected fanfiction excerpts, starring Maka and Soul/Maka and Crona (depending on the panel), and read their respective parts aloud and act them out.  The fanfiction excerpt will be shown on the projector completely unchanged, so that the audience can read along and see just how well (or atrociously) they were written.  All rights due to their respective owners.
  • Please Explain - Inspired by Kumoricon 2013's Black Butler Pajama Party (18+), selected fanart pictures would be shown on the projector for the audience to see.  Panelists would be asked, in-character, to explain how the situation depicted in the images happened.  All pictures would be kept to the PG-13 rating and rights would be due to their respective owners.
For Soul's day...
  • Bro-Hug Reenactment Contest - Audience members would be invited to volunteer to reenact the slow-motion hug of friendship between Soul and Black*Star with a partner.  Judged by Soul himself, the winning pair would win a prize and/or a friendship-glomp from Soul.
For Crona's day...
  • Poetry Mad-Lib - Panelists will have one or two original mad-libs, stories with blanks that must be filled in with nouns, adjectives, adverbs, etc.  The audience will be asked to volunteer suggestions for filling in these blanks, which will be written in and then presented to Crona, who will read the finished product aloud.  Guaranteed laughs, regardless if it's nonsensical or actually makes any sort of sense.  Contents must remain PG-13.
  • Create-A-Poem - Audience members will each be given a blank index card and a pen/pencil on which they will be asked to write one line they wish to be included in Crona's famous depressing poem.  Once all cards are written on, they will be collected by Maka and presented to Crona, who will read them aloud in sequence, creating a (theoretically) depressing poem.  We shall see how many people wish they had never been born by the end of it
PLEASE NOTE:
At the start of this panel, there will be a disclaimer stating that the purpose of this panel is NOT to start any gender wars over Crona.  We (the panelists) refer to Crona as "he" for continuity's sake.  You are free to address Crona however you prefer, but if anyone starts a debates about it, Maka will get very scary and very mad at you.
 8)

All that aside, this still leaves room for changes and improvements, as many of these ideas are not set in stone.  Again, the point of this is to get suggestions from YOU, since you will be the lovely audience and the success of the entire panel depends on you having a good time!  So in the comments below, please let me know your answers to any or all of the following questions:
1) Is this is a panel you would attend,
2) Does it sounds solid to you as is, and/or
3) What changes or other events would you like to see happen?

Thank you all for your time and interest, and we will see you at the con!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:58:08 pm by UptownOtaku »
Find me on:

Facebook:  Uptown Otaku
Tumblr:  uptownotakucosplay
YouTube:  UptovvnOtaku
Instagram:  uptownotaku
Fanfiction.net:  UptownOtaku
DeviantART:  uptownotaku

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: 60 Minutes with Maka & Soul/Crona (Submitted)
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:10:32 pm »
This sounds awesome. My friend is a Black Star cosplayer and I know for sure he will want to take part in the bro hug thing..He does it really good..

Also, I might come as Spirit to this just for the fact that you have a Maka..lol
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 04:11:12 pm by Sailor-Jeimi »

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 11:32:39 pm »
@Sailor-Jeimi Aw, that sounds great!  He wouldn't happen to be THE K-Con Black*Star (you know which one I'm talking about), would he?  Or is he the one with the absolutely perfect voice for it?  They're the two I remember most from last year, though I could have missed someone.  We would love to see some other Soul Eater cosplayers in the audience, although everyone is welcome. ^_^  Eika (Maka) will treat you just as she would treat her Papa... so rather grumpily (but all in good fun!).  Thanks for the comment!  Any suggestions for improvements or additions?
Find me on:

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 08:24:48 pm »
@Sailor-Jeimi Aw, that sounds great!  He wouldn't happen to be THE K-Con Black*Star (you know which one I'm talking about), would he?  Or is he the one with the absolutely perfect voice for it?  They're the two I remember most from last year, though I could have missed someone.  We would love to see some other Soul Eater cosplayers in the audience, although everyone is welcome. ^_^  Eika (Maka) will treat you just as she would treat her Papa... so rather grumpily (but all in good fun!).  Thanks for the comment!  Any suggestions for improvements or additions?
In order:
1. No he is not. This is his first K-con....lol
2. No I do not know who you are talking about..My first K-con was last year and I have not meet whoever "that one" is..
3. Nope not that one either if the first answer didn't give it away lol
4. That is totally fine. I know how the characters are to each other..But be warned, if you guys are going be in character to me, I'm doing it back..lol Now we just need a blair to hit on..I mean......
5. Nope..No suggestions..sorry lol I'm not good at panel stuff..

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:29:14 am »
In order:
1. No he is not. This is his first K-con....lol
2. No I do not know who you are talking about..My first K-con was last year and I have not meet whoever "that one" is..
3. Nope not that one either if the first answer didn't give it away lol
4. That is totally fine. I know how the characters are to each other..But be warned, if you guys are going be in character to me, I'm doing it back..lol Now we just need a blair to hit on..I mean......
5. Nope..No suggestions..sorry lol I'm not good at panel stuff..

Haha, that's fine!  All good; I was just curious.  ;)   That's awesome that you had your first con!  That's always super exciting~  There were several Blairs last year, so maybe one or two will come this year if this panel get's through!  Either way, hope to see you there!
Find me on:

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 09:35:06 pm »
Oh..No..That wasn't MY first con..Only my first Kumoricon..Kumoricon was my 4th con.

Yea I saw a lot of Blairs. I mean, I also saw some Black Stars, so I COULD have seen the 2 you were talking about, but that;s it, just maybe seen them..I wouldn't be able to place them..But it'd not be a good idea to hit on a blair that isn't already aware of it before hand..That just seems like a bad idea lol

Don't worry..The ONLY reason I would miss it are
1. A photoshoot happens at the same time somehow..
2. It happens to be the only time I can get certain autographs..

But idk lol

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
Re: 60 Minutes with Maka & Soul/Crona (APPROVED!)
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:32 am »
Good news--it's official!
As of last night, "Maka & Soul:  60 Minutes" and "Maka & Crona:  60 Minutes" have both been approved for Kumoricon 2014!  We're super excited to have confirmation and to know this is officially happening for us.  So if you have any thoughts, suggestions, or comments on either or both of these events, be sure to let me know so I can take them into consideration!  I will be planning these panels like crazy and would love to have some fresh ideas!  But either way, we will see you at the con!
Find me on:

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2014, 04:52:12 pm »
Now that the convention schedule has been officially posted, the time slots for the two panels have been finalized!

"Maka and Soul" will be on Day 1, Friday, August 29 from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM in room Heritage E.

"Maka and Crona" will be on Day 2, Saturday, August 30 from 10:30 PM - 11:30 PM, also in room Heritage E.

Hope to see you there!
Find me on:

Offline TardisPants

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 12:23:23 pm »
Okay, I have to say, the Soul & Maka panel was AMAZING. I think it was my favorite panel  ;D

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 02:44:02 pm »
Okay, I have to say, the Soul & Maka panel was AMAZING. I think it was my favorite panel  ;D
Thank you so much!  We are so happy you enjoyed it and were so surprised by the wonderful reception we received!  Everyone who attended was great, so thanks for coming!
Find me on:

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 02:56:22 pm »
Both panels were an enormous success, and I just wantedto thank everyone who dropped by so, so much!  We did not expect the number of people we actually got to entertain, and each and every one of you made the experience worth all much.  We had such a blast and got such positive feedback that we are going to do our very best to make a comeback next year for as long as we are wanted.

Therefore, I open this up to all of you on what you would like to see in the future.  I will continue to cosplay Soul and Crona, with the addition of Death the Kid by next year.  My sister will keep Mala going and is also planning on being my Liz. We want to continue having all-ages/PG-13 panels, but we also understand that sometimes you'd like to be able to ask the more "serious" questions, so we also plan on making at least one 18+ panel to open up more possibilities.

So what are you all interested in? What Soul Eater cosplays would you like to interact with? What pairings would you like to see a bit of fanservice from in the future?  What games or activities sound like fun? Tell me all about them, because there's a good chance I'll grant your wish.  We may even try bringing our panels to Newcon PDX if we can't wait until next year!
Find me on:

Offline Eika Tsukiyomi

• Oni
    • Eika Tsukiyomi @ Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 03:45:38 pm »
Hello, everyone!  Sorry I'm so late actually joining the Kumoricon forums!

I think everything has pretty much already been said by UptownOtaku, but I also want to give a huge shout-out to everyone who attended our two Soul Eater panels this year. 

This was our first year hosting a panel, and while we were certainly hopeful that we could manage to entertain maybe a dozen people in each panel and NOT totally bore anyone, we did not expect to achieve anywhere near the degree of success that we did.  We were absolutely blown away by the sheer number people who showed up, by all of the positive feedback we received, by all of the requests for pictures and contact cards, and just overall by all of the love we were showered with!  :)

I cannot express how much it meant to us to hear how much you all enjoyed our panels.  Our panels could not have been the huge success that they were without you, so thank you all so much!  :-*

As UptownOtaku has said, you can be sure we will be bringing our Soul Eater panels back to Kumoricon next year!  We plan on cosplaying Death the Kid and Liz Thompson in addition to Maka, Soul, and Crona, so we can bring a third Soul Eater panel to Kumoricon 2015 and making one of them 18+.  We are also hoping to make it to Newcon in January 2015 and bring our Soul Eater panels there, too!

We would love to hear more feedback about our panels so that we can make them even better!  Any suggestions for more activities?  What would you like to see more of?  Was there anything you think should be dropped or changed?  Have any questions? Suggest or ask anything!  We wanna hear it all!  ;D

Offline rachellendoty

• Oni
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 08:44:19 am »
Who is cosplaying as Soul? ^^

Offline Eika Tsukiyomi

• Oni
    • Eika Tsukiyomi @ Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 05:29:28 pm »
UptownOtaku cosplayed Soul in our first panel on Day 1, "60 Minutes with Maka & Soul".  :)

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 01:56:47 am »
Yes, Soul was cosplayed by me!  8)
Find me on:

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
Soul Eater Panels going to NewCon PDX?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, 10:59:18 pm »
Hello, everybody!  My goodness, it's been a while since I've checked back to these forums.  But, I have some updates on what's going on with us and our Soul Eater panels, so I thought I'd bring you up to date if anyone's interested.

So, EikaTsukiyomi and I just submitted the forms for all the panels we’re hoping to host at NewCon PDX this year!  Nothing’s official yet, of course, but they’re out there and a possibility. If all goes well and they get approved, we are going to be hosting 4 Soul Eater panels!  Each one will have exclusive events/games, with us in different cosplays for each panel, of course.

Two out of four of them will be us as Maka & Soul and Maka & Crona again, as we’ll be bringing back those panels from Kumoricon 2014 since they were so successful.  The other two will be different characters...  That's right, Death the Kid and Liz Thompson!  And as a bonus, one of them is going to be 18+ for those of you who want to ask some riskier questions or see some hardcore shipping~

So fingers crossed!  I will let you all know the verdict as soon as I get word on it.  Who’s planning on going to NewCon in January?

I also might start a new thread dedicated to this announcement so it's tidier and nobody get's too confused!  But, let me know any ideas or feedback; we love hearing from you!
Find me on: