Author Topic: Boots with Buckles help!  (Read 1517 times)

Offline qiaokeli

• Oni
Boots with Buckles help!
« on: June 21, 2014, 12:48:45 am »
Right now I have a pair of plain suede boots and I need to attach buckles on the sides, something like this: http://picture-cdn.wheretoget.it/n07hju-i.jpg

But I'm not really sure how I can get it to attach, I've been looking at velcro but it usually doesn't recommend using it on suede.

Help please and thank you!

Offline M-ayumii

• Cabbit
    • Tumblr
Re: Boots with Buckles help!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 11:24:51 am »
If they open up enough you could possibly sew them on, or hand sew them on (although that would take a lot of work and you'd need a pretty sturdy needle)
Industrial glue might also work.
~Kumoricon 2014~

Mikasa Ackerman
Chiaki Nanami
Raven
Meltdown!Rin (tbd)

Offline Papa Fox

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 08:18:18 am »
 Depending on the density of of the suede I would agree with M-ayumii and recommend hand stitching. I added some plastic buckles with black webbing to a pair of snow boots using Gutterman (nothing special just my favorite brand) thread, a pair of needle nose pliers (to push the needle through without puncturing your thumb), and a very dense sewing needle. These needles come in multi-packs almost anywhere you can find sewing needles. they will have upholstery needles, leather working needles, canvas, a few other narly looking ones too. Jo-anns has a "Dritz needle repair kit" with the very same needle I used to penetrate .5" of vinyl/insulated fabric and the webbing (like the straps on a backpack), The kit is $2.49 online and usually the same in stores. I got one at Longs once, it's like Rite-aid but in California.
 When I attached my belt/buckle to the boot I only stitched in part of the belt not all the way around, you may have already figured. It would not be necessary to stitch all the way around because the tension of wearing the boots would keep the rest in place.

I apologize if my formatting is lame, I am new to chat boards.

Offline qiaokeli

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 08:09:24 pm »
Alright thankyou. I was afraid that it wouldn't be strong to stay on the boots (my sewing technique isn't that great still) Should I both glue it on and then sew it? Or is that doing too much? :O

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 10:29:41 pm »
When putting buckles and straps on boots, it's quite different because as long as it's sewed to the point where the thread is obviously not gonna snap normally then you're fine. That area for them is an area that won't get moves around a bunch..

What you wanna do is this (assuming it has a zipper or other means of opening that helps get them on):
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k188/RazorXCore_2006/sew_zps41d0ebc9.png

If you can follow that..lol For ones that are like those ones you linked, it looked like there is a wide flap over the zipper or opening, in which case you would put the buckled strap piece at the far edge of that flap, then put the longer strap piece with the buckles hole in it under the flap on the inner flap.
Then sew them where I put the yellow lines. You might wanna do a few lines there or a square with an X pattern because they will stay better that way..

Hope this helps.