Author Topic: 'who you are going as' is somewhat annoying  (Read 1730 times)

Offline EmperorRemus

• Cabbit
'who you are going as' is somewhat annoying
« on: June 15, 2014, 06:07:34 pm »
MODS DELETE POST/DELETE ACCOUNT
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:02:43 pm by EmperorRemus »

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: 'who you are going as' is somewhat annoying
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:32:48 pm »
Really, the main reason we say, is so we can schedule ahead of time meet ups with other characters from the series.

If you don't want to tell anyone, and you don't like to plan ahead of time to meet people and have fun, that's all you. But don't act like we are all weird for wanting to meet people that like the same things as we do. I'f I say "I'm going as Naruto and want to take pictures with Sasuke's" then I can get people to answer that and say "I'm a Sasuke cosplayer, let's meet up and become friends". But if I don't, then how would I know that person was there? Also, getting things together for photoshoots, it's a good idea to know who is cosplaying who ahead of time so that the people going have plenty of time to think up photo ideas when the time comes instead of things being hectic..We can't say "Let's do a group of Sora and Kairi cosplayers" if no one knows they are there..

The whole "girls meeting at a party wearing the same thing" is completely different (and 99% of the time not actually going to happen) so that argument is literally invalid here..A lot of people say who they are going to be specifically to find others in the same character sometimes.

And as for your friend..Did you ever think maybe she asked because she was wondering if there was a series you were both cosplaying so maybe you guys could match? If you didn't tell her, or were kinda hush hush about it, she might have thought you didn't want her bothering you, then stopped talking to you because it's not like it's a huge deal..There are plenty of reasons to ask you what you are cosplaying.
That couple thing you mentioned under the part about not telling her..That COULD have been her reason for asking you..Before thinking it's weird to ask, maybe think about any other possible reason..

So I can understand surprising people, that's fun yes, but be prepared to not have any plans with anyone because no one knows you are even doing it..Even more so if it's a cosplay that might not be from something popular..There might be all of 5 people from that series..If no one tell anyone they are cosplay from it, those 5 people may never meet the whole time.

Offline princess_of_zeal

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 09:46:06 pm »
I was going to type my opinion but Sailor-Jeimi already did.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 02:49:39 am »
I like knowing what people are cosplaying because I like finding out what materials they've used. Maybe they're doing a character that isn't done often and I want to see it in person. You never know.

That said, at-con, if I ask someone who they're cosplaying it's because I think the costume looks interesting and I want to know if it's from a show or a game or a movie or something, so I can look into it on my own time. Sometimes it's really just widening your own interests.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 08:05:42 am »
As mentioned, people like to plan ahead. If people didn't say who they were going as ahead of time photo shoots and gatherings would never happen at con. Plus like Veraca said, I like to see progress pictures and see how people make things. I also tend to make things in some unconventional ways so I like to share just in case some people didn't think of that.

As for people wearing the same thing. At a con this size, I promise you it will happen. Someone will be wearing the same costume as you unless it is a pretty obscure costume or you are at a smaller con (not in this case). If you are cosplaying because you want to be the only one then you need to rethink why you are cosplaying.

And the whole "who are you cosplaying?" is a conversation starter. Not answering would probably lead to people thinking you don't want to talk like Jeimi said and thus you wouldn't make friends as easily as others would.

Its all for fun. Keep that in mind, you just come off as really up tight. Let loose and have fun :)

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 02:09:16 pm »
Also, don't con staff look through the forums for cosplay bingo? I was the Undertaker a few years ago, and I went with my friend when she got her black out on her board, and the staff who helped her with her things was telling me about how they choose the cosplays for the bingo cards.
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)