Author Topic: Fanfiction Contest results 2014  (Read 4517 times)

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
Fanfiction Contest results 2014
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:11:55 pm »
So I worked pretty hard to enter the fanfiction Contest this year, and results weren't announced at the closing ceremonies. I'm pretty disappointed. Who won?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: Fanfiction Contest results 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 08:29:30 pm »
It was really difficult this year. I went to the room during the time that these things were supposed to be announced and it was already locked by the time I got there. I had to track the person down to ask how mine had done and even then she didn't remember who had won.

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 10:22:34 pm »
I entered, and I was unaware that we were supposed to be in a specific location (other than the Closing Ceremonies) to hear the results? That's pretty disappointing ): I worked really hard to enter, and wanted to hear the results. After closing ceremonies, I asked the Info booth, where I was simply told that that's something I should ask the Programming booth, which had already closed by then.

Very poor communication I suppose. Still, rather unfair to the winners, whoever they may be. The site said the results would be announced at the closing ceremonies, and that to win one had to be present.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:25:58 pm by VampireFangs103 »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 10:32:32 pm »
I was also curious to learn who won. I hadn't read anywhere that there was a specific place to be to qualify or win, but, oh well. Can't get upset over what you can't control.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:13:27 pm »
To be present? The woman I spoke with didn't say anything about that (I didn't win, but she said it was because my fic relied too much on having to know the events of the series).

Great, now we have MORE questions.

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 11:17:20 pm »
Hmm....alright. Went back and glanced at the rules page, and it says "Entrants must be present at Kumoricon 2014 to win". Not necessarily at the announcements, I suppose.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 11:21:20 pm »
Hi, all! I was at the meeting - the procedure was the same as last year, but I do agree that it isn't explained very well on the website or con booklet.

The meetup for the fanfic and fanart contest entrants is traditionally on the morning of the final day, and it only lasts as long as it takes for the coordinator(s) to announce the prizes, award Kumoribucks to the winners, and pass on any feedback that people ask for. It's usually over within half an hour, but they schedule some extra time just in case a lot of people need feedback. About 2/3 of the winners were there to accept their prizes this year; the rest probably couldn't figure out where they needed to be (or just wanted the extra sleep).

I don't know who's going to be in charge of the contest for 2015, but I'll be sure to pass on the requests for a clearer explanation of the process, and a proper announcement at Closing Ceremonies. It really is kind of obtuse, the way it's set up now.

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 11:31:19 pm »
Aw man. ): That's really disappointing. This was my first time entering the contest, and I'm certain I didn't win, but I still feel as if I was cheated somehow. And because of the rules, I can't enter the same fic next year.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 04:30:28 pm »
I can certainly ask the coordinator if she could post the results here? Generally they do at some point, to let folks know who weren't at the meeting.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 05:36:09 pm »
I understand the event not filling the whole time but they could at least write down the results and leave the door unlocked for the full time so that we could see them. I caught the first shuttle to the Hilton but STILL arrived near the end of the time.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 10:14:13 pm »
All good ideas, and I'll try to get a link to this thread passed along to the right people for 2015. : )