Author Topic: Need some suggestions for part of costume  (Read 3032 times)

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
Need some suggestions for part of costume
« on: May 06, 2014, 02:08:16 pm »
I don't know if this is the best location for this, but I don't see anything better either. So pardon me if wrong location.

So for this coming Kumoricon, and friend an I want to do a Kantai Collection theme.

For both of us, it would be a crossplay, but for the most part, that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Anyways, as you can see from my signature, I plan to cosplay as Kongou.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130915132411/p__/protagonist/images/c/cd/Kongou.(Kantai.Collection).600.1592988.jpg

Her outfit isn't an issue really as its not skin tight or super feminine, so I SHOULD be able to manage with a little make-up to reduce my male features. (I hope)lol

But the part I am seeking input on is the shoes.
It appears that she is wearing over the knee boots basically. Obviously there are simple solutions to that, but I am still unsure what to do for the actual shoe part.
Being as male, I am not familiar with shoes that much.
Does anyone have any specific suggestions for affordable shoes that could be used for this? Ideally, I want to avoid the tacky shoe cover approach.

Thanks guys.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplay plans:

Kantai Collection Kongou Crossplay (Maybe)

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Need some suggestions for part of costume
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 03:54:55 pm »
I know exactly what to do here..
You can see proof that this works by my pic here:
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3470050/

What I did was follow:
http://crashcult.blogspot.com/2010/12/costuming-bootcover-tutorial.html
What I did was pin it up around the shoe, then pin it around my leg. When you pin it, face the points of the pins UP..If you don't, you will stab yourself taking it off.

But yea, follow that and use the material you want. I would use something with slight stretch. Not a lot. I used Stretch Poplin for my boots. I didn't want vinyl so..If you do, use the kind that has a little stretch to it. Make it stretch side to side, not up/down.

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 12:04:21 am »
Thanks for the reply and the tips there.

I was asking a bit more about what kind of shoe I should get to work off of though. I've seen a number of choices other people have used, but I have no clue what kind of shoes those where. lol

Btw, what is your opinion on the character/outfit and all? I mean, I feel its very forgiving for a crossplay attempt. What do you think?

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 10:32:13 am »
Oh, well I have ankle boots I use. They are the best for this kinda thing.. Just an ankle boot with a heel..Nothin special..

And I don't know the character basically at all, but I'm pretty sure my friend is ALSO crossplaying this same character haha

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 12:52:22 pm »
If your friend is a girl, I'm sure they will look much better then I will. lol

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 03:27:14 pm »
Re read..lol
I said my friend that's CROSSPLAYING ^_^ lol It's a dude..So dont worry about how good this person will look or not. I myself am a Crossplayer, so what you saw was me (a male) in that cosplay with the boots I showed you..lol

We will need to find you though while you are both in this character lol

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 12:53:28 am »
Re read..lol
I said my friend that's CROSSPLAYING ^_^ lol It's a dude..So dont worry about how good this person will look or not. I myself am a Crossplayer, so what you saw was me (a male) in that cosplay with the boots I showed you..lol

We will need to find you though while you are both in this character lol

.....Ooops.
Yeah, I dunno why I brain farted on that one.... lol

But yeah, meet up at some point would be cool. Especially since my other friends are probably gonna ditch me as they don't want me crossplaying...
Its funny, because I talk to people online about meeting up, and when the event is here and now, it never ends up happening.... lol

But yeah, if we are able to, heck yeah. :)

Now here's hoping I can at least look OK. Not sure just how much make-up can help me, but I'm gonna talk to a couple female friends or whatever and hopefully get on track with it.

Offline DasBombadillo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 11:57:53 pm »
Well, since I've been mentioned here, figured I'd offer my two yen's worth.

My costume doesn't have boots at all, since a) I couldn't find any and b) the costume I ordered didn't come with any.  So what I have at the moment are really tall black overknee socks with a cloth top that fits around the leg at the top.  Not the best option but honestly it's not absolutely terrible either all things considered.  Then I have black shoes at the base (no shoe coverings) that are going to be comfortable to walk in.

And as for hanging out, I think that'd be neat.  Two Kongous!  I did consider Akatsuki as well, but I just like Kongou a bit better.
2018 Plans: St. Gloriana Girls College tanker (Girls und Panzer), Kanan Matsuura (LL! Sunshine), Kitakami (KanColle) and possibly cafe maid.