Author Topic: Artist Alley 2014 FAQ  (Read 11629 times)

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
Artist Alley 2014 FAQ
« on: May 04, 2014, 11:55:35 am »
Hello, artists!

My name is Ellen, and I will be your Artist Alley coordinator this year.

We are hoping to open applications in the very near future, so please feel free to ask any questions, or voice any concerns that you may have regarding the Alley this year, and I will do my very best to answer, and/or address them!

Offline AnimalCrossing

• Cabbit
Re: Artist Alley 2014 FAQ
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 04:08:26 pm »
Hello!! So i was wondering since we have to show pictures of our work, how many pictures do you think would be appropriate?

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 06:47:35 pm »
Hello!! So i was wondering since we have to show pictures of our work, how many pictures do you think would be appropriate?

While a gallery link would be ideal, I would like to see at least a few of your favorite works. Particularly if you plan on selling those works in the Alley. This goes for both 2D art, and photos of crafts alike. The final number is up to you, but 5-10 would be a good base number, if I had to give one.

Offline AnimalCrossing

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 08:56:57 pm »
Thank you!

Offline NekoNekoJuss

• Oni
    • deviantart
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 06:30:35 am »
Do you know the cost of the tables  amd how big yet? And since I am 17 would  my parent count as the second badge or second artist? Because I am plannimg on sharing a table with someone. Since he/she is not going to sell.
Another question! I just applied for a washington temopary tax certification. Since it is my first time. Do I show it to you guys for check in?

Offline Caporushes

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 01:03:51 pm »
Is it going to be a long open period like it was last year, or a first-come-first-serve?

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 09:14:10 am »
Do you know the cost of the tables  amd how big yet? And since I am 17 would  my parent count as the second badge or second artist? Because I am plannimg on sharing a table with someone. Since he/she is not going to sell.
Another question! I just applied for a washington temopary tax certification. Since it is my first time. Do I show it to you guys for check in?

The cost of the tables will be listed with the application when it goes live, though it is comparable to last year, with a slight increase in price for the fourth day. As far as badges go, your parent/guardian may purchase a regular attendee badge, and your table partner may have the second table badge, since they would actually be selling in the Alley. There will be a space on the contract that we will send out to accepted artists for UBI numbers to be written in. For anyone who doesn't fill that in initially, yes, they will need to provide that number at setup at the latest.

Is it going to be a long open period like it was last year, or a first-come-first-serve?

Applications will not be open for as long as they have been over the past couple of years, but we will be keeping the light jury process that has been in place, rather than first come first serve.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 09:19:00 am by GenkiIchigo »

Offline NekoNekoJuss

• Oni
    • deviantart
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2014, 09:21:35 am »
ok ! Thank you!

Offline elisetrinh

• Oni
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2014, 07:18:44 am »
Hi Ellen,
Will the location of the alley be changing this year or staying in the same space?
Also, just wanted to clarify on what light jury means. Is it still first come first serve as long as the applicant meets all the requirements or will people still be chosen by a jury board?
Thank you!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:22:50 am by elisetrinh »

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2014, 07:37:16 am »
Hi Ellen,
Will the location of the alley be changing this year or staying in the same space?
Also, just wanted to clarify on what light jury means. Is it still first come first serve as long as the applicant meets all the requirements or will people still be chosen by a jury board?
Thank you!

Hi there!
The Alley will be in the same space, but it will not be in the same area within that space.
Artists will still be chosen by a jury board. Once the application process is closed, we will go over each application individually, and choose the ones that we think will best suit the Alley this year. This helps to ensure that we get a good variety of art/crafts/etc. into our limited amount of space.

Offline elisetrinh

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2014, 09:43:39 am »
Sounds good. Thank you :)

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 08:00:19 pm »
I just wanted to add to the thread that the 2014 AA application form is now up on the main site.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 02:16:17 am »
The Full/half idea is very interesting.
Can I assume that you will be randomly matching up half table artists with each other?

Also, I have friends who will be applying for a full table, is it reasonable to request in my application that my half-table be adjacent to theirs? or will half table setup/arrangement be first come first serve at time of setup?

Also also, this will be my first attempt at an AA booth and i do not remember if electricity was supplied to the artists last year?

...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline Caporushes

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 10:53:12 pm »
Sort of related to the above, but I have another artist friend I usually table with-- should we each apply for half-tables and then assuming we both get in, ask to be sharing a physical table? Or should one of us apply for a full table...? Also, can you only buy ONE other additional badge? We usually each have our SOs with us to help us man the table, for a sum total of 4 people. Would one of us have to purchase a regular badge...?

Offline galacticstardust

• Oni
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 10:45:37 pm »
Yes similar question :) If I want to share a table with a friend, should we buy a whole table or half and just request it?

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2014, 07:41:27 am »
If you have a table partner, and you plan on sharing a table, go ahead and apply for a full table together. Half tables are limited, and are generally for people who are applying on their own, and don't have the need for a full table. You may request that your half table be put near a friend's, but I can't guarantee that that will happen at this point in time.

I believe that the contract has been changed this year, so that only one extra badge, other than what comes standard with your table, may be purchased. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I'll look into it and get back to you on that.

Offline Caporushes

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2014, 10:22:33 am »
If you have a table partner, and you plan on sharing a table, go ahead and apply for a full table together. Half tables are limited, and are generally for people who are applying on their own, and don't have the need for a full table. You may request that your half table be put near a friend's, but I can't guarantee that that will happen at this point in time.

I believe that the contract has been changed this year, so that only one extra badge, other than what comes standard with your table, may be purchased. I'm not sure why this is the case, but I'll look into it and get back to you on that.

Thank you!

Offline resubee

• Oni
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 01:34:04 pm »
I'm new to this con and interested in tabling. I read on the thread from last year that there was problems with the heat in the AA space as well as getting a signal to run cards. Are these problems being addressed for this year?

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2014, 08:25:53 pm »
I'm new to this con and interested in tabling. I read on the thread from last year that there was problems with the heat in the AA space as well as getting a signal to run cards. Are these problems being addressed for this year?

I'm not personally in charge of the placement of the AA in the space provided, but it does look like these issues are being addressed this year. I wasn't in the Artist Alley last year, as I have been in previous years, so I didn't experience it for myself. But I have read all of the feedback available from last year, and I've taken a lot from it. I'm doing my very best to work with my fellow staff to ensure that artists will be far more comfortable this year.

As far as cell signals are concerned, I can't guarantee anything, but from what I've read on the forums, it seems as though the placement of the alley this year will help with that as well.

Offline Tygermane

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2014, 12:07:23 am »
I was just wondering if you knew about how long before emails will be sent out letting everyone know if they were accepted into the alley or not.

Thanks  :)

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 08:21:10 pm »
I was just wondering if you knew about how long before emails will be sent out letting everyone know if they were accepted into the alley or not.

Thanks  :)

I don't have an exact date for emails yet. But I'm going to be getting together with my manager and a couple of others, this coming weekend, to go over all of the applications. It shouldn't be too long.

Offline Lorien077

• Oni
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 02:16:26 am »
*facepalm*  I managed to space out and just miss applications, is there anything I can do?  (If there were as many applicants as last year don't worry about it, I know a waitlist is futile at that point.  XD )

And no worries if there isn't, just figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2014, 07:31:11 am »
*facepalm*  I managed to space out and just miss applications, is there anything I can do?  (If there were as many applicants as last year don't worry about it, I know a waitlist is futile at that point.  XD )

And no worries if there isn't, just figured it couldn't hurt to ask.

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, we can't accept late applications.

I hope you'll apply next year!

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 11:41:41 pm »
As a hopefully returning artist, I can say that signal was really hit or miss in last year's location. Thebwifi was good enough in the morning, but as the day went on and sales picked up it struggled. I made quite a few runs outside, but nothing to cause me discomfort or issues. We also had some nearby outlets, so we shared power with some folks. I would suggest pre-emptively grabbing a cheap stand lamp or two, because the garage is a bit dark

Offline ANKincannon

• Oni
    • Facebook
    • Smashley's Art Dump
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2014, 02:14:15 pm »
Hi there! I'm Ashley and I applied for an AA table for the first time this year. Looking forward to seeing everyone that got selected, and I really want to thank the people in charge for taking the time to put this together.

That being said, I actually had a quick question. I have an artist friend who I would like to table with and we have discussed it back and forth for some time. Unfortunately she has very little work online, but I can assure you, she is fantastic and reliable and we actually have very similar shows and fanart of interest. So I guess my question is, if I by chance DO get a table this year, would I be able to share it with her? Thanks so much for your time and info!

Offline GenkiIchigo

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • Genki's DevArt~
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:59 pm »
At long last, decisions have been made, and letters have been sent. Please check your inboxes, and if you have not received an email either way, please let me know your name and email address, and I will be able to send you the appropriate letter.  :D