Author Topic: cosplay needs and just all around cosplay stuff...  (Read 2476 times)

Offline hotdgumi

• Cabbit
cosplay needs and just all around cosplay stuff...
« on: February 09, 2014, 09:02:35 pm »
Ok so this is my first convention im going with my bestie and I wanna know what to expect. Also I want to know good places to buy contacrs and costumes and lashes and what not. Any help would be great!!! Thanks! :D
2014 Kumoricon cosplaying as magnet Megurine Luka, Matryoshka Luka, and random cat anime girl :D

Offline iBubbleTeax3

• Catgirl
Re: cosplay needs and just all around cosplay stuff...
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 08:52:35 am »
Well if this is your first, there's a lot of first timers as well. From my experience (Me being one of them), people tend to get overly hype and just do the randomness and 60% of the time, stupidest things. A friendly advice is to like, keep yourself calm, try not to go screaming up at people because they're in your favorite character cosplay. I say this because even though it's meant to take it as a nice way, it can be annoying/scary to some people, or other people may just be having a bad day and yelling wouldn't really help.

Expect a lot of wandering cosplays, events, and all those goodies. Hey, there's probably going to be one of those giant glomp circles again, but if you have a very fragile or semi-fragile cosplay, avoid those. Some people tackle extremely hard and can break something.

Remember to have cosplays or food that's meant for the summer. It gets really hot D:
There's a lot of perverts out there as well, so keep in mind who you talk to. If anything suspicious happens or harassment, report immediately, don't try and confront it if you don't know how. ALWAYS STAY IN GROUPS. It's safer that way, so try and make some new friends while your there so you know how to get around as well ^^.

There's a lot more about what to expect, but I think this would help give you a glimpse what kumoricon usually deals with:
https://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=18198.0

Though it may seem there's a lot of cons, there's a lot of pros as well, so don't take it all to heart! Some people just got unlucky, however, it's nice to be aware, y'know? Check out "General Kumoricon" on the forums for more of these threads since there's also some advice there here and there.

NOW FOR COSPLAY.

I love to buy mine at CosplayFU since I currently have a amazing experience with them (While some have bad and might say otherwise). Their cosplay are pretty cheap compare to other cosplay stores, usually having sales and giving you discount coupon whenever you buy something. Did I mention free shipping? Yup, they have that too. If you buy a cosplay set, hey, bigger discount~. Most of their cosplays are pretty accurate in my opinion and you're always welcome to have changes made to it! just gotta tell them what (Like if you want a different color, etc).
My advice is that you USE their measurement conversion location on their measurement graph for the best fitting cosplay. I also suggest to at least add an extra inch to the measurement so it feels more loose, but that's your choice.

I buy my other cosplays at Hellocosplay as well and had a pretty good experience. However, it's a tad more expensive.

I have no idea where to buy contacts or lashes, so sorry D: .

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 10:56:30 am »
Well that person covered cosplay pretty well as well as the con..So here's the rest.

Contacts:
If you do NOT wear perscription, please do not wear them. Most people do anyway but don't realize that's very bad for your eyes. If you don't need a prescription they can really end up ruining your eyes and you don't want that. However, a HUGE % of the world actually NEEDS glasses but only to a small extent (like me, where I can see just fine, but some things I need glasses for that I didn't realize) so go to an eye doctor and find out if you need a corrective lensing FIRST, then get your prescription for glasses or contacts (if you wanna start wearing contacts, try normal ones after you get use to the glasses). Once you get use to them, start wearing normal contacts around the house and to the store, whatever..Then once you are use to wearing them, go to somewhere like pinky paradise:
http://www.pinkyparadise.com/
They go by prescription rather then just selling "Blue contacts" to everyone..This site will sell "blue contacts" but you need to put in your prescription in order to get them. That way they are basically the same thing you were already wearing..
But again, the basic lense you can buy off ebay and they sell the exact same ones to everyone, those can damage your eyes so..

Lashes:
Go to any department/grocery store..I bought mine at walmart..Literally....Anywhere that sells anything like makeup, or other "girl's beauty stuff" will have them..

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 12:16:58 pm »
I will help out the best I can.

Con info:
Kumoricon is a medium sized con. There is a great Family feel to it. A lot of people know each other. The area is great and for the most part pretty safe. There is limited food in the area that is cheap so keep that in mind. Pretty much the cheapest you are going to get is the Subway and the 7-11. Though if you have the money to spend there are some great places to check out. There is this really nice cupcake store that I stumbled upon day 0 last year, the Tequila factory has some AMAZING food but it is about $20 for an entree, that being said, I split a dinner with a friend of mine and we had more than enough to eat (giant bacon wrapped shrimp that were almost the size of my fist), there is also El Presidente that is pretty close that has some cheap adult drink if you are old enough ;)

Other than food, it will be warm, very very warm. Probably around 85 or hotter. Keep that in mind when choosing a costume. There are two hotels. I think the Hilton is a bit nicer but the Red Lion is quieter. The rave is in the Hilton so I did notice that you could hear the bass late at night. The Red Lion also offers free parking so if you are driving keep that in mind. There are places that you can park for free but it is a first come first serve type thing.

There is also a Farmers market in the park across the street from the Hilton on Saturday and Sunday that is a good place to get food.

There is roughly 5000 people that go there. People plan gatherings/photo shoots for the popular series and sometimes they will be in the guide/guide book. If you have a smart phone I strongly suggest downloading the guidebook app. The whole schedule, event descriptions, guests, hours, and even pictures are available though that app.

One last thing, as it gets closer to con I typically host an even called "Con 3 weeks early" where I take the new comers around the hotel and show them where things are as well as some food places so you aren't completely overwhelmed your first day.

I also suggest pre-reging and getting there on Day 0. This year Day 0 is the Thursday before con, you can pick up your badge, get into your room and get familiar with the con. Day 1 is Friday, Day 2 Saturday, Day 3 Sunday and Day 4 Monday. This is the first year the con will be 4 days.

Contacts:
Contacts are a nice touch to any costume but not needed. I strongly suggest that if you must get contacts that you go see an eye doctor first so he can tell you what your base curve is. Otherwise there are a lot of good sites that offer contacts. I typically get mine from youknowit.com or honeycolor.com.

Costumes:

When I do buy costumes I get mine from either cosplaymagic.com or an ebay seller. Cosplaymagic.com has pretty decent costumes with really fast shipping but they can be expensive. Ebay is cheaper but you get what you pay for. I always get my wigs from ebay, occasionally I get them from Arda but they are a lot more expensive. If you live in Portland I also suggest you check out Wig Land by Lloyd across the street from the Safeway parking lot. They offer discounts for con goers but they mostly have normal hair colors. They do offer some unusual colors and they also have lace front wigs which are great for slicked back styles.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 11:22:47 am »
I've figured out what cosplays I will be aiming for this year.  They are on display in my signature, but I'll explain certain things about them, too.

Scotland - If I do this, it will be if I'm able to get a family-plad kilt.
Ramblin Rod - I mainly need to focus on getting the sweater and as many buttons as possible, hopefully of varying sizes.
Poison Ivy - A genderbent version, he will either be a steam punk type or a 1940s type.
C. Hawk - An OC pony that is a true Seahawks fan; is similar to Rainbow Dash in design.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline iBubbleTeax3

• Catgirl
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 11:49:20 am »
I think Washougal just posted in the wrong thread ROFL.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 11:51:44 am »
...looking back on it, yes, yes I did.  It's what I get for not reading the other posts, huh?  In fairness, though, the thread title sounds like it could've been about what we need for our planned outfits.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline hotdgumi

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 11:12:44 pm »
Well if this is your first, there's a lot of first timers as well. From my experience (Me being one of them), people tend to get overly hype and just do the randomness and 60% of the time, stupidest things. A friendly advice is to like, keep yourself calm, try not to go screaming up at people because they're in your favorite character cosplay. I say this because even though it's meant to take it as a nice way, it can be annoying/scary to some people, or other people may just be having a bad day and yelling wouldn't really help.

Expect a lot of wandering cosplays, events, and all those goodies. Hey, there's probably going to be one of those giant glomp circles again, but if you have a very fragile or semi-fragile cosplay, avoid those. Some people tackle extremely hard and can break something.

Remember to have cosplays or food that's meant for the summer. It gets really hot D:
There's a lot of perverts out there as well, so keep in mind who you talk to. If anything suspicious happens or harassment, report immediately, don't try and confront it if you don't know how. ALWAYS STAY IN GROUPS. It's safer that way, so try and make some new friends while your there so you know how to get around as well ^^.

There's a lot more about what to expect, but I think this would help give you a glimpse what kumoricon usually deals with:
https://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=18198.0

Though it may seem there's a lot of cons, there's a lot of pros as well, so don't take it all to heart! Some people just got unlucky, however, it's nice to be aware, y'know? Check out "General Kumoricon" on the forums for more of these threads since there's also some advice there here and there.

NOW FOR COSPLAY.

I love to buy mine at CosplayFU since I currently have a amazing experience with them (While some have bad and might say otherwise). Their cosplay are pretty cheap compare to other cosplay stores, usually having sales and giving you discount coupon whenever you buy something. Did I mention free shipping? Yup, they have that too. If you buy a cosplay set, hey, bigger discount~. Most of their cosplays are pretty accurate in my opinion and you're always welcome to have changes made to it! just gotta tell them what (Like if you want a different color, etc).
My advice is that you USE their measurement conversion location on their measurement graph for the best fitting cosplay. I also suggest to at least add an extra inch to the measurement so it feels more loose, but that's your choice.

I buy my other cosplays at Hellocosplay as well and had a pretty good experience. However, it's a tad more expensive.

I have no idea where to buy contacts or lashes, so sorry D: .

Thank u so much for the info! Im very excited and that helped alot!
2014 Kumoricon cosplaying as magnet Megurine Luka, Matryoshka Luka, and random cat anime girl :D

Offline hotdgumi

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 11:16:50 pm »
I will help out the best I can.

Con info:
Kumoricon is a medium sized con. There is a great Family feel to it. A lot of people know each other. The area is great and for the most part pretty safe. There is limited food in the area that is cheap so keep that in mind. Pretty much the cheapest you are going to get is the Subway and the 7-11. Though if you have the money to spend there are some great places to check out. There is this really nice cupcake store that I stumbled upon day 0 last year, the Tequila factory has some AMAZING food but it is about $20 for an entree, that being said, I split a dinner with a friend of mine and we had more than enough to eat (giant bacon wrapped shrimp that were almost the size of my fist), there is also El Presidente that is pretty close that has some cheap adult drink if you are old enough ;)

Other than food, it will be warm, very very warm. Probably around 85 or hotter. Keep that in mind when choosing a costume. There are two hotels. I think the Hilton is a bit nicer but the Red Lion is quieter. The rave is in the Hilton so I did notice that you could hear the bass late at night. The Red Lion also offers free parking so if you are driving keep that in mind. There are places that you can park for free but it is a first come first serve type thing.

There is also a Farmers market in the park across the street from the Hilton on Saturday and Sunday that is a good place to get food.

There is roughly 5000 people that go there. People plan gatherings/photo shoots for the popular series and sometimes they will be in the guide/guide book. If you have a smart phone I strongly suggest downloading the guidebook app. The whole schedule, event descriptions, guests, hours, and even pictures are available though that app.

One last thing, as it gets closer to con I typically host an even called "Con 3 weeks early" where I take the new comers around the hotel and show them where things are as well as some food places so you aren't completely overwhelmed your first day.

I also suggest pre-reging and getting there on Day 0. This year Day 0 is the Thursday before con, you can pick up your badge, get into your room and get familiar with the con. Day 1 is Friday, Day 2 Saturday, Day 3 Sunday and Day 4 Monday. This is the first year the con will be 4 days.

Contacts:
Contacts are a nice touch to any costume but not needed. I strongly suggest that if you must get contacts that you go see an eye doctor first so he can tell you what your base curve is. Otherwise there are a lot of good sites that offer contacts. I typically get mine from youknowit.com or honeycolor.com.

Costumes:

When I do buy costumes I get mine from either cosplaymagic.com or an ebay seller. Cosplaymagic.com has pretty decent costumes with really fast shipping but they can be expensive. Ebay is cheaper but you get what you pay for. I always get my wigs from ebay, occasionally I get them from Arda but they are a lot more expensive. If you live in Portland I also suggest you check out Wig Land by Lloyd across the street from the Safeway parking lot. They offer discounts for con goers but they mostly have normal hair colors. They do offer some unusual colors and they also have lace front wigs which are great for slicked back styles.

Thank you for the response it will help me alot!