Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Relations  (Read 3009 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Relations
« on: December 21, 2013, 09:59:05 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2014 Director of Relations.

Please remember the following when participating in the Q&A threads. The normal forum code of conduct applies, except:

There is a partial exemption to the rule that forum discussion cannot be about a person. You may incorporate personal comments, including praise or criticism, into your election questions and answers, and ensuing discussion, but only regarding candidates who are running for a position, or about another person if it is directly entangled with an issue germane to the outcome of the election. In so doing, you must still exercise standard courtesy, and refrain from profanity, disruption of the discussion, excessive vitriol, and irrelevant comments. Please keep in mind that there will be an opportunity for spoken comments at the elections meeting.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline RandomDraconic

• Oni
    • RD's Blog
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Relations
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 11:54:45 am »
As I recall, one major discussion point at the General Election regarding this position involved maintaining current ties with guests and the like, in addition to building new relations with guests that we and attendees would like to see.

The question for the candidate(s) for Director of Relations is simple: How do you intend to maintain current ties and build new ones, in a way that is feasible and not over-reaching?

Offline NeverlandFayrie

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2014, 09:21:29 pm »
Over the past few years the Kumoricon staff have put in a lot of work to forge industry and guest contacts, which is a great resource. Using what has been established as well as making varying new contacts is key for continued growth.

Strong and effective communication with several parties is important when working to reach a goal. Working out details and solutions that benefit everyone is not always easy, but it can be accomplished with enough determination and communication.

I want Kumoricon to continue to grow and be an amazing event for both staff and attendees, and if elected, I will utilize the many resources available throughout the departments to help achieve that goal. I have already reached out to the Relations department, as a Publicity member, about combining the resources and  connections that some of our outreach staff currently have in the industry to try and help open new doors for Kumoricon. If elected, I would also try to get guests that have a large impact on the industry in several ways to appeal to more attendees. I hope to continue to reach out to different industries that are popular and get them interested in bringing new things to Kumoricon.
2014 - Assistant Director of Publicity
2013 - Assistant Director of Publicity

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
Anime creators at Kumoricon ... ever?
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2014, 03:28:11 pm »
Q: If we are able to keep growing, when do you (any or all candidates) imagine that Relations will be able to reach across to Japan to bring over some of anime's originating talent? (manga-ka, seiyuu, etc.)

Offline NeverlandFayrie

• Oni
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2014, 09:15:12 pm »

The topic of bringing international guests to Kumoricon has been on the table for a while and is something most people, myself included, would like to see happen. It’s safe to say that our first Japanese guest would be a task that we need to be ready for before we attempt it. With the Relations department currently undergoing changes, the best step this year would be to build on the research that’s already been done to quickly move us closer to this goal. Creating contacts for negotiations may take time, but it is something that I want to make sure gets started.

Budgeting would be the next challenge to focus on while negotiations happen. Knowing that budgets are done early, it would have to be worked on now for upcoming years and I’d want to make sure that we’re financially ready, as well and logistically and staff-wise, before we bring an international guest to a growing Kumoricon.

With all that said, and most of it relying on "what ifs" I would hope to be able to at least secure connections that could lead in the right direction as soon as possible. If you never ask, the answer will always be no, so I ask and see when I can get a yes. I am very excited to see the day when originating anime talent might be a part of Kumoricon.
2014 - Assistant Director of Publicity
2013 - Assistant Director of Publicity