Author Topic: Plus Size Cosplay  (Read 2787 times)

Offline Chryssaia

• Administrator
    • Facebook
Plus Size Cosplay
« on: January 08, 2014, 10:54:01 am »
Okay, so I would love to get back into Cosplay. I cosplayed 5 years ago when I was skinnier, but now I want to get back into it. My goal was to get into shape, but I think I need to rekindle my fire for it again first and then use it as my motivation. I love doing Cosplay, but I don't really know how to do it on a budget, I guess. Can people give ideas for cosplays that would be fine even if plus size? (I'm about a 2X) Or is anyone looking for someone to do cosplay with them this year? I have money to put into it and I have time, I really just want to do it and it is easier with people.

I'll stop rambling XD
Position history:

2013: Cosplay Staff
2013: Tabletop Staff
2014: Main Events Staff
2014: Outreach Staff
2015: Assistant Director of Publicity

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Plus Size Cosplay
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:56:43 am »
Can people give ideas for cosplays that would be fine even if plus size?

Anything you want. Do not let your size get to you. That's how you end up all depressed and shizz, and we can't have that can we lol But as for doing it on a budget, that's different haha What kinda budget are you looking at? And what do you already have on hand? What is the budget going to get you? Do you need a wig within that budget? Maybe you also need specific shoes or boots because you have none to alter. That all plays a part in budgeting.

Or is anyone looking for someone to do cosplay with them this year? I have money to put into it and I have time, I really just want to do it and it is easier with people.

I'll stop rambling XD

Yes. I am ALWAYS looking to people to cosplay with. If you plan on cosplaying with someone though, you will need to know what they are doing. If they don't know yet, that's a good way to start getting ideas. As for me, I already have all mine planned, but that's just me. If you were to cosplay with me, you ould cosplay whever you wanted, but if you were looking at same series stuff, Since I already have mine set up, you would need to do series' that I'm alreaydy doing. See what I mean? Anyway, hope you can think of something.

See, it's a little hard to just go "Oh you're plus sized? do this character" because we have zero information on you. What if we threw out a kingdom hearts character, then you said, "Oh I hate those games"..Then that would be completely pointless right? There's no specific characters you should be looking at just because you are bigger. Just pick a character (or moe if budget allows) and go for that..

Offline Chryssaia

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 04:09:01 pm »
Anything you want. Do not let your size get to you. That's how you end up all depressed and shizz, and we can't have that can we lol But as for doing it on a budget, that's different haha What kinda budget are you looking at? And what do you already have on hand? What is the budget going to get you? Do you need a wig within that budget? Maybe you also need specific shoes or boots because you have none to alter. That all plays a part in budgeting.

Those are really good points. Posting this was a big enough step for me, haha. Thank you for saying what you said about size not being a determining factor. Not enough people think that way I guess and it gets hard.

Budget for me is not buying an outfit outright? I want to try and make something, but I am trying not to spend more than $100-200 on it. I hear of a lot of people spending a lot. I don't know anything about where to get wigs that won't die with the slightest customization, but I don't want to buy THE TOP wigs. Does that make sense? I'm willing to be flexible, but I have no clue.

I have nothing. Okay, I have a Sailor Saturn outfit that is a couple sizes too small right now and a Rukia (from Count Cain) outfit that is ginormous on me. If anything, I can have the Rukia outfit tailored, but I think I'm missing some components and I don't know where my butterflies went. I'm willing to go outside my budget for an idea I'm excited for, but I don't have many people in my close circle that cosplay and the ones that do have their own group.

If you plan on cosplaying with someone though, you will need to know what they are doing.

I do know this, I guess I posted it in here because it's hard for me to go into another thread and raise my hand to join someone's group. I'm really outgoing when it comes down to it, but I have a lot of barriers in my head. I stopped cosplaying because my last group bailed on me. They said I didn't fit anymore because I was gaining weight. So, I tacked it on at the end of this as a kind of "well I already went over this, so how about this" XD

As for me, I already have all mine planned, but that's just me. If you were to cosplay with me, you ould cosplay whever you wanted, but if you were looking at same series stuff, Since I already have mine set up, you would need to do series' that I'm alreaydy doing. See what I mean? Anyway, hope you can think of something.

Thanks! I may take you up on that. Even if we aren't doing the same series, it's more fun when you're with someone.
Out of curiosity, what ARE you cosplaying? Maybe that might spark some ideas in me.

See, it's a little hard to just go "Oh you're plus sized? do this character" because we have zero information on you. What if we threw out a kingdom hearts character, then you said, "Oh I hate those games"..Then that would be completely pointless right? There's no specific characters you should be looking at just because you are bigger. Just pick a character (or moe if budget allows) and go for that..

I understand that, and my apologies for being vague XD.
I mentioned the two cosplays I have up there. I'm a big fan of a lot of older stuff. Sailor Saturn is a big goal for me, but I'm not ready for that one yet. Maybe Princess Saturn since the dress is long. I've also thought of finding something in Fushigi Yuugi, Rurouni Kenshin, or Evangelion to go as. I'm going to keep thinking on this, but still tell me what you're cosplaying ;)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:56:58 pm by Chryssaia »
Position history:

Offline Chryssaia

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2014, 05:14:17 pm »
it's not anime, but I think I just had an epiphany. I'm gonna dress up as Sarah from the Labyrinth. The dress she wears at the end seems like something I can make and I just got a huge head of ideas for it. haha!
Position history:

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2014, 08:17:55 pm »
Ok this is gonna take a sec lol I gotta read all that and reply separate..

First, your most recent post. That's my favorite movie ever and you are awesome for even thinking that..

Anyway, big reply now..

That one that is too big, that's a good start. Taking it in might be easier then buying something new. That's a good way to have a cosplay and not break budget. Even then if you play your money right, you could get a new cosplay AND have that one..Just gotta know where to shop. This topic piece, however, can only be revisited once you actually figure something out..So we will leav it for the time being and focus on the other stuff.

That last group..It's a good thing you are no longer in it..They showed what kind of people they are by doing that to you. This will happen. Even in regular life..I mean, I know a lot of people that bail on others for stupid reasons like that. Best thing to do is move on.

What I'm cosplaying?
I don't have a set up exactly yet for what days, other then one. I know for certain I am doing Akaito from Vocaloid on the day of the shoot (That's in another thread so I need to look again to remember exact day, but still)
Akaito is the one in my avatar, but the actual character is:
http://img-cache.cdn.gaiaonline.com/ec27fcffc28934c30e90d6fa76c8164d/http://i431.photobucket.com/albums/qq36/animegirl98_2008/vocaloid/kaito-akaito.jpg
The one on the right..
I'm also cosplaying Sayuri Kurata from Kanon if I can help it..
https://animeafterglow.files.wordpress.com/2006/10/kanon_06.jpg
The one standing up
Then I will be making shortly here, my Sabrina cosplay from Pokemon:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-DrbKQIGVg8Y/UUXvwGKci7I/AAAAAAAAHVc/QQR5xnfGoFs/s1600/Sabrina%2Be%2BHunter%2BPok%25C3%25A9mon%2BCosplay.jpg
And last, I will be bringing Elesis from Elsword in her Pyro Knight version:
http://elwiki.net/w/Pyro_Knight
Then I will also be bringing a few others just in case. These are
Spirit from Soul Eater:
http://www.cosplayisland.co.uk/files/costumes/5915/51534/29455_1147772711202_1734111468_275339_5288952_n.jpg
and my OC version of Stocking:
http://www.cosplay.com/costume/465192/

That's all of them for Kumoricon.

Once you figure something out, go from there. You don't have to cosplay from anything that I am obviously..Also, you commented that thread of mine looking for a group..It's not updated haha. I need to do that. Go back and check and you can see other stuff I edited it with.

Offline Chryssaia

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 05:47:29 pm »
Yeah, I want to look into the Sarah cosplay, I just can't find good pictures of the end of movie dress. I don't want to be like everyone else and dress up in her ballroom dress. We will see what happens. (I also suck at sewing, so this could be fun.

Another idea I had (since I found the perfect wig for it for $9) is Botan from Yu Yu Hakusho. Again with the sucking at sewing, I will still try. I am also going to work on taking in the other cosplay.

Yeah, that last group was...yeah....

I've only heard of half of your cosplays. I loooooooove Sabrina <3

I looked and yeah, two thread conversations for the win. (Random: we are practically the same age, haha!)
Position history:

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:46:28 am »
Come join us at the Plus Sized Cosplay group on Facebook! We have tons of members that would love you and love to help you out with anything and everything.

Sadly, the link I'm trying to post doesn't seem to want to work. So just go ahead and search Facebook for Plus Size Cosplay Panel - Kumoricon 2014

Offline Chryssaia

• Administrator
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2014, 08:58:10 am »
haha, thanks. =]  Joining now
Position history: