Author Topic: Big World, Small Fandom Panel (accepted!)  (Read 7213 times)

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
Big World, Small Fandom Panel (accepted!)
« on: January 07, 2014, 02:41:05 pm »
Hello and welcome to the first annual 'Big World, Small Fandom' panel proposition!
Over the last decade or so, cosplay and fandoms have become a huge international hit with society. From anime to webcomics to TV shows to video games, there have been a multitude of cosplays expressed from fandom to fandom. But, not all fandoms are large! In fact, some are quite small, and many are only known by a handful of people.
That's why we decided to come together and introduce a new panel, one we hope will help bring together small fandoms and introduce people to them. Thus, Big World, Small Fandom came to be. This panel will feature a few of the following:

- Discussion about why fandoms sometimes don't get recognized
- Fandom sharing time! We'll pick a handful of people and have them come up and tell us about their fandom.
- How fandoms can become more popular
-The Lone Survivor of a Dying Fandom/The Seed of a Beginning Fandom (Basically, talking about how to survive being in a small fandom)

We also strongly encourage those attending this year to wear their small fandom cosplays to the panel. Both of the hosts will be on the day we host this panel.

If you guys have any suggestions, we'd actually really appreciate to hear them! Just post your ideas bellow! We've never hosted a panel ourselves before, so we're hoping this one will be a really fun one for everyone to enjoy! More will be posted as ideas come to us.

-Enya and Kalee

« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:07:11 pm by graphicnovellife »

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
Re: Big World, Small Fandom Panel
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 10:29:57 pm »
So, applications have opened up. I plan on submitting an application tonight or tomorrow. I love seeing that people are viewing this page, which as less indicates some intrest, but we would really love it if feed back could be given, even if it's just to say yay or nah. Ideas are wonderful too, if you have any!
-Kalee

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 06:52:28 pm »
What will be the scope of you panel.  Are we taking within anime fandom or  beyond?

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:10 pm »
I believe we are going to be talking about both. My plan was to cover 2 or 3 animes and a even amount of non anime fandoms, just because not everyone is into anime and Kumoricon has expanded beyond just anime as is evident in the other panels and cosplayers.

hopefully that answered your questions! if you have a fandom you'd like to suggest, that would be wonderful!

Offline DasBombadillo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 10:29:49 pm »
Small fandoms?  I can easily suggest one fits that bill - Sakura Wars/Sakura Taisen, which was a pretty big fandom in Japan but never was as big in the US.  There was an anime and the motion picture, and the 5th game was released in the States, so it's pretty small as a fandom here.  Yet I cosplay it anyway.
2018 Plans: St. Gloriana Girls College tanker (Girls und Panzer), Kanan Matsuura (LL! Sunshine), Kitakami (KanColle) and possibly cafe maid.

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »
I would go to this. I am a fan of so many things that don't get any recognition at all. Often this lack of recognition is a huge cycle. Because you never see anyone cosplaying it, you assume that the fandom is either dead or was never there. And many peole who cosplay fear not being recognized by a single person....

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 08:45:30 pm »
Nice! That defiantly does fit what we're going for! If we get approved, you should totally bring that cosplay to our panel and tell us about it!

Offline DasBombadillo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 06:14:51 am »
Groovy!  If you get approved I can bring not only the cosplay but also examples of the game/series just to show how widespread it once was.  As well as the odd recurring joke involving the hero forgetting to put on his pants.  But anyway, hope your panel gets approved!
2018 Plans: St. Gloriana Girls College tanker (Girls und Panzer), Kanan Matsuura (LL! Sunshine), Kitakami (KanColle) and possibly cafe maid.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2014, 09:52:53 am »
This could be fun!  I personally love a lot of series that get very little, if any, recognition.  Heck, it seems like most people don't even know some of mine exist.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2014, 06:18:17 pm »
Bringing information on it would be awesome! it would be cool to see the art from this game!

And that's the whole point of this panel! to shed some light on fandoms that deserve more love than they get!

Thank all of you for the support! I hope this gets approved and get a chance to hear about all these fandoms!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2014, 08:53:19 pm »
I'd go. Heck, a voice actress from my favorite underrated game, Valkyria Chronicles 2, is going to be there.

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 08:02:50 pm »
I'm part of a fandom that I literally know of a whole 4 people I've ever talked to that know what it is haha
It's the Lyrical Nanoha series..Even if people know the first 2 which were dubbed, NOTHING else was..lol I'd wear my Fate Testarossa cosplay to this panel to talk about the fandom (or lack thereof) but I can't seem to finish it so..

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2014, 05:56:27 pm »
This sounds like fun! :D

Well, this past year I've been involved in the Deadly Premonition and L.A. Noire fandoms...both are really small (and non-anime).
So, I've learned a few things about how to still have a good time and meet some lovely people in smaller fandoms - if you still need another helper?

I'm not sure if you're hosting a mainly/exclusively anime panel or if it's open to variety. ^^;

-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 09:22:43 am »

Well, this past year I've been involved in the Deadly Premonition and L.A. Noire fandoms...both are really small (and non-anime).
So, I've learned a few things about how to still have a good time and meet some lovely people in smaller fandoms - if you still need another helper?

I'm not sure if you're hosting a mainly/exclusively anime panel or if it's open to variety. ^^;

It's open to all types of fandoms since I've notices that, even though Kumoricon is mainly an anime conventions, the fans have evolved it to something much more and I want to incorporate that.

I've watched some videos on L.A. Noire and I think it looks like a really under rated game! I learned some cools things on how to read people from that game XD

Another helper would be awesome! I've never ran a panel and I'm too sure how manageable the audience will be so, yes please!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2014, 10:11:12 am »

It's open to all types of fandoms since I've notices that, even though Kumoricon is mainly an anime conventions, the fans have evolved it to something much more and I want to incorporate that.

I've watched some videos on L.A. Noire and I think it looks like a really under rated game! I learned some cools things on how to read people from that game XD

Another helper would be awesome! I've never ran a panel and I'm too sure how manageable the audience will be so, yes please!

L.A. Noire certainly has taught me to be a more patient driver! xD

Fantastic! If your panel is accepted - and once you find out the date/time slot for it - I'd love to drop by! :D

I went to a panel last year and one tip I can give is for maybe the host - you - and the other speakers give their insight first, and then let it be the audiences' turn to speak. It should be interactive - somehow. ^^
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »
Hey, do you think we could ask the voice people to attend and talk about their favorite underrated roles?

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2014, 05:43:39 pm »

Fantastic! If your panel is accepted - and once you find out the date/time slot for it - I'd love to drop by! :D

I went to a panel last year and one tip I can give is for maybe the host - you - and the other speakers give their insight first, and then let it be the audiences' turn to speak. It should be interactive - somehow. ^^

That's what I was planning to do since I know it is more than likely for it to get crazy and fast. I was also trying to decide if I should have someone walk the mike around or maybe see if we could set up a podium so it looked more official?

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2014, 05:45:06 pm »
Hey, do you think we could ask the voice people to attend and talk about their favorite underrated roles?

What do you mean by the voice people?

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2014, 07:06:20 pm »

That's what I was planning to do since I know it is more than likely for it to get crazy and fast. I was also trying to decide if I should have someone walk the mike around or maybe see if we could set up a podium so it looked more official?

I think in the form you can ask if a podium can be reserved for your panel, along with what kind of room/tables or chairs you want; so it shouldn't be a problem. And I'm sure I or someone else there can volunteer to pass the mic around. xD
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2014, 07:12:08 pm »
I think you can ask the voice actors (voice people, right?) those kinds of questions at the autograph signings and the Voice Acting panel...

It would be nice if one of them could sit in and participate, but I don't know if they'll have the time.

If you want to, you can send a message to one of the guests and ask if they could come - but you should probably wait on that until the panel's date and time are set.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2014, 02:36:16 pm »

I think in the form you can ask if a podium can be reserved for your panel, along with what kind of room/tables or chairs you want; so it shouldn't be a problem. And I'm sure I or someone else there can volunteer to pass the mic around. xD

that sounds like a plan ^^

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 10:03:52 am »
So it seems like it's taking awhile for the panels to get approved and I'm starting to get nervous. Should I start planning for the panel or should I wait? If you have any ideas of what you would like to hear during the panel, let me know!

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 11:06:25 am »
@Sailor-Jeimi I've actually heard of Lyrical Nanoha, believe it or not!  My sister has also watched it!

As for this panel, I think it would be nice to have a place where people could discuss the fandoms that are actually really good and underrated but just don't have the popularity yet to achieve the attention they deserve.  My sister and I have been fans of a particular Japanese video game series that hardly anyone knows about because it hasn't been translated into English ever.  The art is absolutely phenomenal, the characters are beautiful and memorable, and it's overall very charming.  We've cosplayed it as well, but no one ever recognizes us because it just doesn't have the recognition it should.  For anyone that's interested, it's called Harukanaru Toki no Naka de, or roughly translated to "Beyond the Stream of Time".  It has been made into a manga series which is available in the U.S., but it doesn't go nearly as in depth as the games do.
Find me on:

Facebook:  Uptown Otaku
Tumblr:  uptownotakucosplay
YouTube:  UptovvnOtaku
Instagram:  uptownotaku
Fanfiction.net:  UptownOtaku
DeviantART:  uptownotaku

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
Re: Big World, Small Fandom Panel (accepted!)
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 03:08:36 pm »
So we have been accepted guys! I'm excited, you should be excited as well! But please keep on suggesting ideas of what you would like to hear at this panel. I want to make sure this panel is engaging and that we all leave feeling like we learned something interesting or at least had fun ^^

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2014, 10:22:00 am »
Woo-hoo, congratulations!

Well, I'll try to add a few ideas to help get conversations started (as well as adding some possible answers):

-Why is joining a small/non-existent fandom good? (There's less people, so less drama)

-How do I find other fans/make friends in a small fandom? (Messaging people and chatting about the anime/game, for starters)

-How do I get involved in the fandom? (Contribute art, fanfiction, role-play, cosplay, music videos, make a wiki page and generally spazzing!)

-The fandom is so small/non-existent; how can I help make it grow? (Enjoy the thing and contribute as much as possible, bring your friends in to enjoy it if they like it too; eventually, people will see the stuff and get curious. They'll try it out and then they'll join in - it'll start to expand!)

Maybe people in the audience can give examples of some of the small fandoms they know of or like and can talk about what they think about them. They can tell stories about the good times they've had in the fandom and talk about why it's so special to them. But, I don't think it's a good idea for people to talk poorly about any fandoms because that could start fights.

Oh! And maybe we can ask people what fandoms they're in and we can make a long list so that people can look at them (after the panel is over) and pick which ones they might want to check out later.

Do you know where the panel will be held or is it still being planned?
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline UptownOtaku

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2014, 10:37:24 am »
I know that the K-Con schedule has gone through about three revisions so far, but I believe it should get finalized fairly soon.  I'm so glad this panel got accepted!
Find me on:

Facebook:  Uptown Otaku
Tumblr:  uptownotakucosplay
YouTube:  UptovvnOtaku
Instagram:  uptownotaku
Fanfiction.net:  UptownOtaku
DeviantART:  uptownotaku

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 04:14:54 pm »
@Sailor-Jeimi I've actually heard of Lyrical Nanoha, believe it or not!  My sister has also watched it!

As for this panel, I think it would be nice to have a place where people could discuss the fandoms that are actually really good and underrated but just don't have the popularity yet to achieve the attention they deserve.  My sister and I have been fans of a particular Japanese video game series that hardly anyone knows about because it hasn't been translated into English ever.  The art is absolutely phenomenal, the characters are beautiful and memorable, and it's overall very charming.  We've cosplayed it as well, but no one ever recognizes us because it just doesn't have the recognition it should.  For anyone that's interested, it's called Harukanaru Toki no Naka de, or roughly translated to "Beyond the Stream of Time".  It has been made into a manga series which is available in the U.S., but it doesn't go nearly as in depth as the games do.

Ok....6 people....lol (counting you and your sister)
No really though, that's awesome.

I'm hoping to drop by this so..

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2014, 08:21:43 am »
Thanks for all of the suggestions and support! I know for sure that in the opening there is going to be some ground rules layed out. Most as a reminder to people to be polite, which I'm hoping won't be a problem~

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2014, 04:59:58 am »
This was a great panel. I hope it is back next year. Trying to plan a small fandom cosplay. Would love to take a group pic of anyone else cosplaying a small fandom in that panel next ye[size=78%]ar.[/size]

Offline graphicnovellife

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 09:54:56 am »
This was a great panel. I hope it is back next year. Trying to plan a small fandom cosplay. Would love to take a group pic of anyone else cosplaying a small fandom in that panel next ye[size=78%]ar.[/size]

I was sadly not able to make it to my own panel xD But! I defiantly want to try to bring this back next year!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 10:42:01 am »
If you bring it back next year I may have to get my small fandom cosplay done and come like I was going to this year..Guess I'll see lol