Author Topic: Cosplay and Convention Etiquette 2014  (Read 9670 times)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Cosplay and Convention Etiquette 2014
« on: September 08, 2013, 01:44:29 pm »
Its been discussed.
Its been thrown around.
Its been asked for by several people.
Well, here it is then!
A Cosplay and Convention Etiquette Panel for 2014.

*~*Newly Edited*~*
What will be discussed :

*~*Cosplay etiquette -
Do's and Dont's of Cosplay
Cosplay =/= Consent
Children and Cosplay
Personal Space with Cosplay
Age Appropriate Cosplay

*~*Convention etiquette -
Safety Tips and advice for Con-going it Alone
Do's and Dont's of Conventions
Social behavior in public con space
Manners and common sense
How to report incidents to staff/police
General Con and Con space rules
Glomping and Glomp circles
Dealing with bullies
Personal Space in Con Space

If there is anything else you wish to add, please let me know!
I really want to hear all ideas, and if you are willing to and/or want to help run the panel, please let me know ^-^
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 12:06:29 pm by TalaRedWolf33 »

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
Re: Cosplay and Convention Etiquette 2014
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:50:08 pm »
YES PLEASE.

And make this a first day panel. I got so upset to see the cosplay=/= consent panel on the last day of con. It made NO sense to have that panel on the last day when everyone is tired and about to go home.

Would be great if you made a hand out to put into everyone's swag bags with some simple rules that would make everyone's con time more fun.

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 01:54:44 pm »
Glomp circle.
It needs to be discussed.
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 01:59:52 pm »
Glomp circle.
Glomp circles aren't even allowed at con, that is why they are held off con space at the park. So what happens there is not apart of con. However, I think it would be nice if we discussed things that happen in our community that happen off con space. It is sad that the game had to be banned, but since you are bringing it up, I am sure you know why they were banned.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 02:15:39 pm »
line cutting vs spot saving dos don't  (for regular healthy attendees, not anyone who is sick elderly and other special needs) talking to the people around you can help as I would rather a smoker leave line to spare me the smoke.
how to confront line cutting when it happens.
the good
As there is a big difference between say, in line we held my brother spot as he stepped out of line to smoke (which sounds like a few mins but would also be asked for pics and such) so he wouldn't bother the others with the smoke, or after my other prereg brother was checked in, he held my older brothers spot in the non-prereg line to use the bathroom, lets face it ya gotta go, ya gotta go, and since he was already reg'ed, was just a place holder.  I feel like maid squad has done this past years but I think making sure everyone has water is a better use of their time this year.  There is  bound to be spot holding in lines like prereg that can last forever

the bad
waiting on the elevator in what has been a pretty well done line up, and some one strolls to the front to vaguely say "hi" to a someone at the front, then stand with them.  Person might not think its a big deal since its inside, not a huge line or for an event etc, oh but to the exhausted peeps and the strict 8 person, this can and will induce nerd rage.
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline RaineKisaragi

• Oni
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 03:46:46 pm »
I think this panel would be a great one! Even if you yourself don't need it, it would be great to inform people anyway

I've never experienced something myself, and I've never seen anything as far as inappropriate touching, but I do so a lot
of people who get hugged or glomped with out consent, and I understand that people are excited, but there are boundaries.
Most cosplay is expensive and very delicate and just assuming you can glomp your favorite character makes people
uncomfortable. I'm not one for confrontation, so seeing other people uncomfortable, makes me rather uncomfortable.
There has to be boundaries.

I also like the idea of putting some do's and don'ts in the swag bags, that way if people don't go to the panel, they will
at least get into their heads what's okay and what's not.

I'm RaineKisaragi, and I support this message!

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 04:21:29 pm »
Glomp circle.
Glomp circles aren't even allowed at con, that is why they are held off con space at the park. So what happens there is not apart of con. However, I think it would be nice if we discussed things that happen in our community that happen off con space. It is sad that the game had to be banned, but since you are bringing it up, I am sure you know why they were banned.
Yes I know they are banned on con space and yes I know why. xD
I still think it's something that should be discussed.

Maybe in a "So this is your first con" panel. xD
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2013, 07:32:28 pm »
Thank you for all your wonderful ideas! I will be adding them to the idea list.
I think a nice little tutorial video shown during opening ceremonies would be great for the first timers. Most of them don't know what happens at OC so they always mostly end up going.

Offline moiramctaggart

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2013, 08:33:25 pm »
This sounds like something that every con everywhere should have. I'd love to participate.

Offline princesscumberlock

• Oni
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 12:03:46 am »
Hey there! So I'd love to be a part of the panel, or help with this panel in any way I can.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 03:58:15 pm »
Ive edited and added new things to the original post ^-^

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 05:17:10 pm »
Okies guys, we have some ideas. Now I need people who are willing to help with it and what they want to see in it. Presentations, videos, real people talking, stories and sharing, those kinda things.
Please share any and all ideas!

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 06:21:00 pm »
Okies guys, we have some ideas. Now I need people who are willing to help with it and what they want to see in it. Presentations, videos, real people talking, stories and sharing, those kinda things.

I love being the center of attention (but I'm DEFINITELY willing to share the spotlight, during this panel), and I'd love to talk about my convention experiences. So, if you decide to let me be a presenter, please PM me, with the info you'd need for the application.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 06:21:39 pm by Otaku_24 »
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 06:26:24 pm »

I love being the center of attention (but I'm DEFINITELY willing to share the spotlight, during this panel), and I'd love to talk about my convention experiences. So, if you decide to let me be a presenter, please PM me, with the info you'd need for the application.

Also, one additional topic, that I feel should be discussed is the tasteless and unfunny jokes, during the awards portion of the Cosplay Contest.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:00:56 pm by Otaku_24 »
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 12:34:33 am »
I'd love to see something about 'personal space when following someone'. I've seen people who are in longer costumes getting stepped on, being stepped on myself and having people hurry through a crowd and shove me or people next to me just to get through.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 02:21:40 am »

Also, one additional topic, that I feel should be discussed is the tasteless and unfunny jokes, during the awards portion of the Cosplay Contest.

Contacting cosplay@kumoricon.org would be a much better way to get that to change, rather than in a panel for attendees.

On a different note, I really like this panel idea, but trying to insert something like this into the opening ceremonies would be a bit challenging. The idea of making flyers to go into swag bags sounds wonderful.
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline prussia

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 08:46:46 am »
Can you please do a segment on sealing makeup, I'm sorry but I don't like getting peoples red or grey face paint all over the cosplays I've worked hella hard on. Nor do I want to get a zombies fake blood staining my costume.

You can easily seal most oil or water based face paints with baby powder or ben nye translusant powder. And fake blood can be sealed with hair spray, however I would still not get too close or touchy if I were wearing fake blood...

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 09:09:37 am »
@Baka : We used to have a group of people who had a video that played during opening ceremonies about basically Con and Cosplay Etiquette, but I don't know what happened and why we don't show it anymore. I think we need another video like that for them to show and be able to inform people.

@Prussia : Yes! Omg i just had a dream about this lol i woke up thinking 'we need to talk about the body paint and sealing.' I'm still trying to get the paint off my skirt from when I cleaned the subway bathroom.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »
I'd love to see something about 'personal space when following someone'. I've seen people who are in longer costumes getting stepped on, being stepped on myself and having people hurry through a crowd and shove me or people next to me just to get through.

As someone that has worn a dress that drags on the ground.. I agree with this entirely, haha. Stepped on sooo many times. XD

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 06:36:59 pm »
New ideas have been added ^-^
Thank you all you guys! I really appreciate all the help with trying to get this started.

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 07:02:44 pm »

Contacting cosplay@kumoricon.org would be a much better way to get that to change, rather than in a panel for attendees.

On a different note, I really like this panel idea, but trying to insert something like this into the opening ceremonies would be a bit challenging. The idea of making flyers to go into swag bags sounds wonderful.

I took your advice and did what you suggested. The issue has been dealt with and the person who slipped up (LadyRuna) has apologized to me and another offended party. And, she's promised to think before she speaks, in the future.

Now, on the idea of flyers in swag bags: It's a GREAT idea. But, producing 5,000+ flyers and "stuffing" them into 5,000+ swag bag, could cause premature balding, if you know what I mean. :P
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline moiramctaggart

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 08:58:40 pm »
Now, on the idea of flyers in swag bags: It's a GREAT idea. But, producing 5,000+ flyers and "stuffing" them into 5,000+ swag bag, could cause premature balding, if you know what I mean. :P

Not necessarily. The bags have to be stuffed no matter how many flyers need to go in them. It's just something we would coordinate with the powers that be and make sure it is one of the things that makes it in.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »
Well, rather than a flyer in the bag, I think a list of rules in the program would be great. Maybe one in the guide as well. Then we can post flyers around the con space for people to see when walking around.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 10:34:15 pm »
Maybe a panel discussing the con etiquette as it's evolved or changed over the years would be more interesting than just listing some general 'rules'. The 'rules' could be on a slide or something in the background, but then a conversation can develop around it.

As for the idea of something in the big guide, that'd be great, but I'm not sure if people would read it. A sign behind the Infobooth that's up for the entire convention, and another duplicate up behind the Registration area would be more effective. Likely...
Kumori'15

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2013, 12:48:09 am »
Oh no, it won't be just a big list and panel of rules. It will be a group discussion with lots of audience participation. There will be more than just "don't do this" and "do this instead". We will be talking about how the conventions in the past worked with keeping con goers safe, how cosplay and conventions have evolved. Its still a huge work in progress, and hopefully will be ready by next year.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2013, 02:35:25 am »
Oh no, it won't be just a big list and panel of rules. It will be a group discussion with lots of audience participation. There will be more than just "don't do this" and "do this instead". We will be talking about how the conventions in the past worked with keeping con goers safe, how cosplay and conventions have evolved. Its still a huge work in progress, and hopefully will be ready by next year.
Speaking of safety, would it be possible to slip in some helpful tips about being at the con alone?
I did see a few people outside late at night this year and I worried for their safety.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 12:05:20 pm »
I didn't even think about that! Yes of course.
Thank you ^-^

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2013, 08:38:28 pm »
I genuinely hope you can get this ready for next con. I really look forward to attending it.
Kumori'15

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 12:31:06 pm »
Another thing I just thought of, how to 'properly' make friends at con. ^^

One of the neatest tricks I've learned from other people is that they actually make these slips of paper that features their contact information and a picture of their cosplays that year; so it's easier to get in touch with them after the con is over.
I suppose this would kind of fit in with the etiquette category, since the one way to attract people is to be polite and friendly.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2013, 01:30:23 am »
Another thing I just thought of, how to 'properly' make friends at con. ^^

One of the neatest tricks I've learned from other people is that they actually make these slips of paper that features their contact information and a picture of their cosplays that year; so it's easier to get in touch with them after the con is over.
I suppose this would kind of fit in with the etiquette category, since the one way to attract people is to be polite and friendly.

I'm adding onto this saying that people don't need to spend tons of money making fancy business cards. If you have a printer with an adjustable paper rack you can use standard 3x5 index cards and print all of your info onto them.

Here's the basic format I use for mine:
[Convention name and year]
[Listing my different contact routes: e-mail, forum name, deviantart account]
[Who I'm cosplaying as and the outfit variation]
[And a little thank you!]

Here's how mine looked from this year's con.

Kumoricon 2013

If you took my picture please contact me on the Kumoricon

forums or deviantart as baka-imouto or at harrisale2012@yahoo.com

My cosplay line-up: DAK Prussia [Hetalia], Teutonic Knights
Prussia [Hetalia], and Momiji Sohma [Fruits Basket]

どうもありがとうございます! [Thank you!]

Very, very simple and it's helped me get pictures back over the past year.

Printrunner.com offers a really inexpensive business card printing service and lets you customize the paper options, graphics, and card shape.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 01:48:54 am by baka-imouto »
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2013, 08:07:06 pm »
I also wanted to touch base on the Dos & Don'ts, if this next thought fits in that category. ^^;
(And I do hope that I'm not bombarding you with these comments; I'm just listing them as they come to mind - I apologize in advance!)

It's really important that cosplayers pick up after themselves; so if this could be mentioned in the panel, that would be fantastic!

1.) There were people who complained that they've lost personal (and sometimes expensive, irreplacable) items at the con this year - they've had trouble contacting the Lost & Found department and have also tried to get in touch with fellow con-goers who might've spotted their stuff. So, it's important to remind everyone to keep their things close to them and remember to look around their area to make sure they've got everything before they get up from their sitting spot and walk away (to the bathroom, a game or a panel, etc).

2.) People desperately need to pick up their garbage! I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw all the food wrappers, cups, bottles and used plates on various tables, chairs and even the floor. I felt bad for the clean up crew who had to pick up the mess. So, I think an added tip of reminding people to pick up after themselves (find a garbage can or put the stuff in their bag until they get to their room to toss it).

-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2013, 08:30:36 pm »
Oh no deary, you're perfectly fine! I love getting ideas from everyone ^-^ and these are great ideas!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2013, 01:42:31 am »
Oh no deary, you're perfectly fine! I love getting ideas from everyone ^-^ and these are great ideas!
Oh good, that's a relief! ^^

A few more things came to mind and they're probably five of the most key issues that people worry/complain about.

1.) Hygiene. It's really hot and stuffy inside the hotel so it's very easy to get sweaty and smelly. It would be great to mention that everyone should bring their hygiene products to their hotel room (body spray, deoderant, soap, shampoos, etc.) to stave off the stench. Also, I recommend that everyone brings a second costume (if they want to bring more than two, that's their choice) in case a costume gets especially sweaty; if it gets wet, swap it out for something that's clean, dry and fresh as a daisy. Cleanliness just makes the con atmosphere and experiance more comfortable for everyone; and I'd like to think that it keeps everyone's spirits up too.

2.) Packing. Packing is one of the stressers that a lot of cosplayers experiance. They just got finished with their costume and props and the con is just a few days away so...when and what do they pack? It would be helpful to mention that cosplayers should only bring what they need personally and what they'll need for their costumes. Nothing more. (costumes/props, hygiene products and meds, food, change of street clothes for the trip home, etc.) Personally, I recommend that everyone should make a packing list of the essentials and check it off as they pack; and I do recommend that they pack at least a day or two in advance.

3.) Food. Food is a relatively big concern at conventions. People are hungry and tired and they don't have a whole lot of money to buy food to survive. I recommend that con-goers could look up the local foodcarts and restaurants within walking distance of con space and plan ahead. Another good idea, and probably the most cost effective, is to bring their own food to the con. Most hotels in the area have a mini fridge (some even have coffee makers or microwaves - which are good ways to boil soups or ramen or other foods) that people can use to their advantage. This is also good to keep in mind if people have food allergies or worry about getting food poisoning - just bring the food you know you love and trust. (And, it shouldn't just be junk food like ramen and pocky; bring something like sandwiches or bagels!)

4.) Staying cool in the heat. It's very easy to get dehydrated or heatstroke; so it's always important to stay cool during the summer. I personally recommend that people should do as little walking around in the sun as possible, take plenty of sitting breaks, have bottled water and a folding fan at all times when you're outside your hotel room. (And I do suggest keeping lots of bottled water - or buy jugs of it at the store - and store it in the mini fridge in the hotel) Also, if things get too overwhelming and you're hot/tired and have sore, swollen feet, you can go back to your room and drink some cool water while dipping your feet in cool water in the bath tub (this was a lifesaver!); do this for about a half hour and you'll feel regenerated.

5.) Planning. One of the most fun and exciting things to do before the next convention starts up is to think of what to do for the following year. It would be a good idea to do some early research and planning by checking the forum and the website news for what's going on. Maybe next year someone wants to take part in a panel, or in the cosplay contest, or pick which games they'd like to play; or which voice actors they'd like to meet, etc. It's just a good strategy to get an idea of what one would like to do. My motto is 'make a plan, but go open-minded'; this means that you might want to have a plan in mind so that you'll have fun things to do at the con, but keep your ears open for new things that pop up that also might interest you. And, buying the badge, booking the hotel and picking out a cosplay also fits under this category; and I recommend that those plans be set in motion as soon as pre-registration opens!

I guess this fits within safety and planning.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 01:46:16 am by Valkyrie542 »
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2013, 07:59:08 am »
I just remembered something and thought that I should add it before I forget. ^^;

Photoshoots

1.) One costume a day! If you're only wearing the one costume, be sure to bring all your props to the photo booth and try to think of as many poses and expressions for that day. I learned the hard way that if you wear the same costume for more than one day - even if you're using different props or poses - it'll be a little difficult for the photographer to figure out which pictures are from what day and you might not get them all. So, try to wear one costume on day 1 and another costume for day 2 and so on.

2.) Be sure you're ready. If you're far along the line and in the room sitting in the chairs, please make sure that your make up is done and your props are out (and make sure all of your group is with you, don't keep up the line!) for when it's your turn.

3.) Don't be afraid to ask for help. The photographer is really nice and tries to offer a variety of poses for your pictures, but he's also more than happy to help you figure out what you want to do.

4.) When you're packing for the convention, be sure to bring a USB! On the last day of the con, the photographer will sit down at the computer and move pictures onto everyone's thumbdrives (if they brought them, otherwise they'll be e-mailed). I say this because waiting for pictures to come in the mail can take some time and some might go missing.   

That's all I have for the moment; though I might want to ask the photographer if he has any rules for the photobooth and I might add more later.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!