Author Topic: The Con Crud  (Read 5371 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
The Con Crud
« on: September 05, 2013, 11:00:43 pm »
Who else gets sick every year after con? Though this year I had a recurring cough heading into it, I ended up with a very sore throat and a general sense of blaaaaah.

Offline Cal the Tactcian

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Jabber
    • Twitter
Re: The Con Crud
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 11:35:16 pm »
I'm currently suffering a mild case of the coughs. Could this be the works of post-con sickness??!!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 11:38:45 pm »
All of the dust and dirt in the air will leave me waking up with a sore throat and congestion.

But it usually burns off pretty quick once I start my day.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline ShadowDancer

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 11:59:08 pm »
I actually didn't get sick this year, just the usual throbbing heart because it's over :(
K-con 2014:
[Not in order]
_____
--> Masaomi Kida
-->Akasuna No Sasori
-->Obito Uchiha(Tobi)

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 12:08:13 am »
On day 3 of it. First day my nose was running like  leaky faucet. Second day I did the alternating stuffed up feel. Today my nose is pretty done, but now it's lots of short raspy coughs. Had a temp of 101+ on the second day but it's dropped now. XP
Secrety secrets!

Offline Cal the Tactcian

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Jabber
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 12:36:41 am »
Could have also been the case of very hot weather, then the sudden switch to rain and thunderstorms XD

Offline Evie

• Oni
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:48:45 am »

Could have also been the case of very hot weather, then the sudden switch to rain and thunderstorms XD

Indeed... The pressure changes have been giving me awful headaches all week. xP

Con took a lot out of me this year. I think just expending all that energy and being around so many people is bound to cause some effects. I was so exhausted on Day 3 that I noped right out of cosplaying. Lots of rest and tea have followed. :) Mmm tea.

Offline Cal the Tactcian

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Jabber
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2013, 04:08:46 am »

Indeed... The pressure changes have been giving me awful headaches all week. xP

Con took a lot out of me this year. I think just expending all that energy and being around so many people is bound to cause some effects. I was so exhausted on Day 3 that I noped right out of cosplaying. Lots of rest and tea have followed. :) Mmm tea.
I ran out of chai tea that day........*neverforget*

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2013, 11:25:15 am »
My friend caught it.  Little horce voice but other then that I have been okay (other then puky tired swollen feet dizzyness blurred vision that is my pregnancy, I don't have one symptom I have them all! :p)

I was a little worried as there have been reports of measles in Oregon. Ug that would be the last thing we would want at k-con!

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2013, 01:06:02 pm »
More like, I seriously cannot do anything but sleep for the next four days...

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 09:42:28 pm »
This is the first year I haven't had or caught anything. I think that being around so many people might've made my immune system go onto high alert or something, because I went into con with the startings of a cold, and left in tip top shape... Other than my heart.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline garfieldelric

• Chibi
    • Garfield's website
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 10:10:34 pm »
I didn't catch it, for once.

A proud attendee of Kumoricon and SakuraCon.

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2013, 12:36:57 am »
I've had a minor cold for two days now, and I'm a tad worried it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Pretty CONfident it's from the con :)

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2013, 03:11:30 am »
I didn't get it, luckily. I think it's because I've been social the two months prior more so than previous years. I did have the mild sniffles but my normal nasal medicine I take took care of it. I also switched it up and took some magnesium during the trip-- though I doubt it helped.

My feet hurt, if that counts as being sick? lol
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline CaptnPoptart

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2013, 11:48:40 pm »
I received a 3 week head cold last year. I don't think because of the con though. This year, Con Crud struck me with a head cold. It's kinda getting better, but...I still hate it xC
Good News and Bad News.
Bad news is I can't go to Kumoricon the whole weekend because of costs and drivers ed.

GOOD NEWS is that if I can raise enough money I can go for Saturday all day as Espurr (Pokemon X/Y)
Hope to see you all then! <3

Offline Derpyrainbowshy

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2013, 12:07:45 am »
This was my first con and my friend told me what i got. CON FEVER! lost voice, headache and nausea when i got home.

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2013, 02:17:24 am »
I'm normally pretty good about not touching most commonly contaminated surfaces so normally I don't get sick. The only symptoms I had when I got home was a exhausted and achy body. Then a couple days ago my sister's kids, who I babysit often, were sick and for some reason she taught them that it's okay to never wash their hands and that it's okay to give kisses when you're sick (which even when they're not sick I tend to be leery of) and here I am down with the flu. I feel so violated x_x
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2013, 09:27:28 am »
I think washing my hands with soap and water pretty frequently helped me. I also bring a bottle of pocket hand sanitizer with me that I use before eating... most of the time.

If you don't do this, get in the habit of it!!! Let's face it, our bodies are too busy trying to keep us running on nothing but Ramune and Pocky. We don't need to add an onslaught of germs to the mix, too.

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2013, 11:06:40 am »
I think washing my hands with soap and water pretty frequently helped me. I also bring a bottle of pocket hand sanitizer with me that I use before eating... most of the time.

If you don't do this, get in the habit of it!!! Let's face it, our bodies are too busy trying to keep us running on nothing but Ramune and Pocky. We don't need to add an onslaught of germs to the mix, too.

Well said.

Also use your shirts or a hook or something to open doors with besides your hands to limit initial contamination. I used to suffer from what I used to think was acne until I realized that I would often get it in spots where I touched with my hands. I started using a barrier (usually my shirt) when I needed to open doors towards myself and my foot to push. I used to primarily do this in bathrooms thinking those doors were the only ones that mattered but no, it is pretty much all surfaces. Think of how many people use the bathroom without washing their hands or the people who sneeze  and just wipe it on their pants. You may not come in direct contact with them, but unfortunately we end up picking up whatever trail they leave behind if you're not careful.

I wish I knew that when I was younger because the acne scars look horrible, not to mention the physical pain.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »
Quick note on acne:

I bring a pile of those face wipes (different kinds of different brands) for different reasons to con. I have one that's an exfoliant to remove make up, one that has salic acid (YesToTomatoes) that I put on after, and in the morning I have a more gentle one to remove any left over make-up or dirt that got on me in the night from con (YesToCucumbers). I don't know if it'll help everyone, but since doing that, I've come out of con with very healthy skin, instead of more acne than before.
Kumori'15

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2013, 04:14:38 pm »
I found out I have really sensitive skin a while back so I found the acid in the wipes actually cause more acne personally, but that's an awesome tip to point out.

It might be a little different now hat I found out I can use a moisturizer to heal the skin afterwords but luckily I haven't needed to use those pads in ages. :)
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 12:11:05 am »
People need different things. Some people just need to drink more water and their acne or redness will go down. Some people need to stop touching their faces with pizza grease on their fingers. Face regimines really are a hit or miss. What works for me probably won't work for someone else. It could just be your age, or your stress level, or your genes.

I have sensitive/oily/acne prone skin, and there's no such thing for me. Anything that's "sensitive" is too weak for the oily/acne, and anything that's for the "oily/acne" is too strong for the sensitive. I end up having to have several products in rotation. Since I finally started using nothing but the "Yes To" brand stuff it's a lot better. ((And some people need to use a different brand/kind of make-up and don't realize it. Or they need to clean their make-up tools.))
Kumori'15

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2013, 07:37:56 am »
I have heard really good things about the "yes to" brand.
Werkends at con with all the hand washing is sadly hard on me cuz I have a weird  form of eczema, I handle the wrong thing (scented soap, most lotions cut potatoes etc) and my hands break out in a cycle of blisters only on my hands.  Pears soap is the bar soap I use because its super mild.  Thing its its hard to lug a wet bar of soap around.  Tho still better then hand sanitizer, which better then nothing but kills the good bacteria as well as bad, and hard on the skin.  And this will sound gros but think if some one who dug a big ole booger out and has it on her finger thene you ask her to wash her hands she says she will use hand sanitizer... I insisted hand washing...(I really don't miss that job)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2013, 05:12:51 pm »
These days I use a product Whole Foods offers in bulk for regular hand washing, it is a type of almond oil based soap and since it's concentrated all I have to do is water it down in the dispenser bottle. I also use a facial cleanser in that same area that has eucalyptus and a couple other soothing things. Perfumes in soaps, body washes, and shampoo seems to irritate my skin as well so I tend to go organic or natural whenever possible and it really does help.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done