Author Topic: Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Operations  (Read 4946 times)

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Operations
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:10:23 pm »
This thread is for questions and answers for the candidates for the 2014 Director of Operations.

Please remember the following when participating in the Q&A threads. The normal forum code of conduct applies, except:

There is a partial exemption to the rule that forum discussion cannot be about a person. You may incorporate personal comments, including praise or criticism, into your election questions and answers, and ensuing discussion, but only regarding candidates who are running for a position, or about another person if it is directly entangled with an issue germane to the outcome of the election. In so doing, you must still exercise standard courtesy, and refrain from profanity, disruption of the discussion, excessive vitriol, and irrelevant comments. Please keep in mind that there will be an opportunity for spoken comments at the elections meeting.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline RandomDraconic

• Oni
    • RD's Blog
Re: Candidate Q&A - 2014 Director of Operations
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 07:21:06 pm »
What is each candidate's background and history with Kumoricon and other similar conventions (if applicable)?

What would each candidate plan to bring to the Operations department?

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 08:12:03 am »
What measures do you plan on implementing for Yojimbo to work on teamwork with other departments?

Do you plan to work with the Programming department on line control and consistency?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:04:01 am »
What is each candidate's background and history with Kumoricon and other similar conventions (if applicable)?

What would each candidate plan to bring to the Operations department?

In regards to my history and background, please see my post in the programming thread. I am answering this from my ipad, so copy/paste is a larger task. The short version is that I do have two previous years serving as assistant director of operations when TJ was director.

I have a few plans for operations, including increasing yoji training, and working with the yoji manager to get more folks into the ranks. Yoji have traditionally been short staffed for as long as I've been with the con (circa 2010) and I want to see how we can rectify that, so we can work with other departments to make lines and other crowd control aspects much less stressful for both the attendees and  the staff.

We also had a humongous communications problem from what I saw and heard and I want to work with the communications manager and see how we can fix this, because not having lines of communication established at con has the potential to be devastating to the convention.

I also want to work closely with Membership and expand upon their tech needs. If we move to a bigger facility, we need to scale up now, especially with the (albeit a good problem to have) issue of a rising attendee base.

I also plan on shifting con suite to membership, as I believe they can better be utilized thee than in operations. I'm also looking at moving lost and found to publicity, but I need to have that discussion with them first.

I very much appreciate your questions and do not hesitate to fire more off!

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 09:07:30 am »
What measures do you plan on implementing for Yojimbo to work on teamwork with other departments?

Do you plan to work with the Programming department on line control and consistency?

I would like to plan a meeting with the head of Yoji and relevant inter-departmental managers so we can get things hammered out and that everyone is on the same page. I think that there has been a lapse in communication with other departments and I think we as a department need to be more open to that.

I plan on working with all departments, of course, but yes, the plan is to go over with Programming and possibly Vice Chair to figure out what the best logistics for lines are. We face the challenge of trying to keep order of 5-6 thousand people, and in the space we have, that is absolutely a challenge.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 07:59:15 am by Bresslol »

Offline angryginger00

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 02:07:18 pm »
This question is specifically for Jon Bressler:

It appears that you are very undecided as to what you really want to do for Kumoricon.  You started this election cycle be running for Director of Programming and then mid cycle you changed and started running for Director of Operations.  as a staffer this concerns me because of the nature of Operations we can't afford to have a director that is wishy washy.  The Director needs to be focused on accomplishing the goals of the department.  So what is your true goal for Kumoricon?  Why did you switch from Programming to Operations? 

Also if the Membership department doesn't take Con Suite will you be a wise director and have your SO (significant other) take on a lower ranking task or have her switch to another department? 
Staffing Con's since 2008

A rare thing has happened! The angryginger00 has posted a message here.

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 07:41:33 pm »
This question is specifically for Jon Bressler:

It appears that you are very undecided as to what you really want to do for Kumoricon.  You started this election cycle be running for Director of Programming and then mid cycle you changed and started running for Director of Operations.  as a staffer this concerns me because of the nature of Operations we can't afford to have a director that is wishy washy.  The Director needs to be focused on accomplishing the goals of the department.  So what is your true goal for Kumoricon?  Why did you switch from Programming to Operations? 

Also if the Membership department doesn't take Con Suite will you be a wise director and have your SO (significant other) take on a lower ranking task or have her switch to another department?

Thanks for the questions, Matt.

I made the switch from Prog to Ops because I think I can do a much better job in the Operations department, and there are two great candidates running for Programming already. I don't know if I could do a better job than either of them, and that's why I made the switch. I want to get Operations on the straight and narrow if we are to move to another, larger facility (as our growth is suggesting, it might happen sooner rather than later!). I am focused on improving Operations, and One of my choices if I lost prog, had I have stuck with it, was to see what I could do for Ops. I also have two years as Assistant Director in both 2011 and 2012, as I have stated before.

In the case of my SO, I generally do not like them working anywhere in my potential directorate. In the unlikely event Con Suite stays under Operations, my girlfriend will either come as an attendee or work under another directorate. She's on good terms with a lot of the directors on a personal and professional level, so I am sure they would love to have her!

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 01:55:36 pm »
These questions are for Bressler.

1. As someone who is running for director of operations, what are your thoughts regarding the streamlining of the registration process (i.e. All pre-reg badges being held for safe keeping, until the convention)?
2. Also, if you're elected, what are your plans, for ensuring the aging equipment used by other departments lasts, until it can be replaced?

I know my questions are "VERY LAST MINUTE", so please respond ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 01:56:20 pm by Otaku_24 »
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 03:46:03 pm »
These questions are for Bressler.

1. As someone who is running for director of operations, what are your thoughts regarding the streamlining of the registration process (i.e. All pre-reg badges being held for safe keeping, until the convention)?
2. Also, if you're elected, what are your plans, for ensuring the aging equipment used by other departments lasts, until it can be replaced?

I know my questions are "VERY LAST MINUTE", so please respond ASAP.

Thank you for the questions.

1. I think streamlining registration is something that is important, but not entirely the responsibility of operations. Recall that Registration is going to be under Membership, and was not under operations this year - it was under Vice Chair. Our registration development team will, of course, assist registration with anything it needs, and having experience in registration, I will definitely be giving my feedback as well. I have worked well with the Membership folks in previous years, so I believe the common goal of getting people in and out of registration as quickly as we can is a very reasonable achievement to attain this upcoming year.

2. A lot of equipment used in panel and stage rooms actually is the domain of Programming. In terms of the equipment under the Operations domain, I plan on enlisting a technology manager who will assess what our equipment needs are, and how best to get them suited without breaking our piggy bank. The Technology manager will also be responsible for reg development and communications for the convention.

Thanks again for your questions, and I look forward to a great election tomorrow. I wish my opponent the best of luck, as well as all candidates running.