Author Topic: Best/worst dubbed animes  (Read 8760 times)

Offline CutieHoney

• Oni
    • My myspace
Best/worst dubbed animes
« on: May 24, 2004, 10:10:58 pm »
Allow me to also introduce myself! (instead of doing one of those introduction topics) I am Krista, 20 years old psychology major,  I live around Portland, enjoy anime of course, sushi, japanese dolls and kimonos and kokeshi, ichimatsu dolls, etc. Also Final Fantasy, RPG's, etc. I hope to meet some interesting people around here, I get really tired of only finding people with similar interests on message boards and having them be in england or russia or something=p

So! Feel free to chat with me, I enjoy it. I'd like to hit it off with some people.

Anyway, on the the question:

Best/worst dubb you have seen?

Best For me: Princess Mononoke, Akira,
Worst Dubb: Yugio, sailormoon season 3 and up, fushigi yuugi (with exception to tamahome, wonderful voice actor) Key: Metal Idol....really almost every anime out there unfortunatly >_>

Wendy Lee gets kinda tiresome I think. She's in everything.
I like to make new anime buddies. So just contact me via messanger.

Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/chinadoll66102
Livejournal: (though it's pretty much friends-only: http://httP://www.livejournal.com

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2004, 12:14:12 am »
I've heard horror stories about Love Hina's dub, but the worst I've ever heard is Record of Lodoss War.

Best would definitely have to be GoldenBoy. I can't stand watching the sub after the dub.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2004, 03:00:16 pm »
Quote from: "PIE"
I've heard horror stories about Love Hina's dub

The stories are true.  Love Hina is my favorite series of all time, but that's for the manga.  Anyway, I bought the first Love Hina DVD and thought I should listen to the dub just to see what it as like.  *Suddenly has traumatic memories*  I switched to JPN/subtitles in less than 10 seconds.
The voice of Keitaro was the same voice of Ken from Digimon and the young boy in Mon Colle Knights.  @_@  That would be my worst dub.  After that, Sailor Moon season 3 (is it just me, or did Usagi/Serena get even more whiny than before?).

Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2004, 04:59:20 pm »
I think it sounded like Usagi's nose got too plugged up. Even though season one wasn't great in terms of voice acting, it sure was better than season 3 and up.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2004, 05:31:20 pm »
I just realized this was a bad AND good dubbing topic.  Well, I'd have to say that my best dub would be Tenchi Muyo.  I'm talking about the original version, not Toonami's.  Are we really suppose to believe that's tea making Ryoko drunk?

Offline Sheltie

• Cabbit
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2004, 07:24:31 am »
Okay, here goes:

Best Dubbed: Digimon Frontier (Am I the only one who doesn't mind the voice actors?), Gundam Wing (I like Duo's voice, but don't like Quatre's, Wufei is okay, but he doesn't appear much in the begining episodes -that's all I've seen so far  :cry: ), Generator Gawl (That is pretty good, in my opinion), Outlaw Star, and... yep!

Worst Dubbed: Cardcaptors *shiver*, Gensomaden Saiyuki *more Shivers*, Inu Yasha (is sort of annoying...), and... ... ... oh yeah, The second season of Digimon (Some of the dubbing and voice actors were odd), and possibly Crest of the Stars.

Funniest dubbed: Ronin Warriors (seriously, I love the series, but the dubbed makes me laugh sooo much...  :D )
[The Secret Place
His voice... It's left me...
This time... I'll fight...]

[We'll go together.]

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2004, 05:11:44 pm »
Quote from: "Sheltie"
Best Dubbed: Digimon Frontier (Am I the only one who doesn't mind the voice actors?), Gundam Wing (I like Duo's voice, but don't like Quatre's, Wufei is okay, but he doesn't appear much in the begining episodes -that's all I've seen so far  :cry: ), Generator Gawl (That is pretty good, in my opinion), Outlaw Star, and... yep!

Worst Dubbed: Cardcaptors *shiver*, Gensomaden Saiyuki *more Shivers*, Inu Yasha (is sort of annoying...), and... ... ... oh yeah, The second season of Digimon (Some of the dubbing and voice actors were odd), and possibly Crest of the Stars.

AAHH!!  You've said the forbidden title!!  Sorry, but it's something my friends kinda started.  Sakura was slaughtered when they tried to dub it and put it on the WB.
I didn't mind Digimon Frontier voice actors.  It wouldn't be my top choice though.  The bad part about Digimon season 02 was that (I'm guessing) they changed so much of the dialouge.  I doubt Daisuke really had that many corny jokes or punchlines.
By the way Sheltie, check out http://www.lelola.net/news.shtml on 5/26.  There's a news brief about a new Digimon project.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2004, 08:07:04 pm »
Mmmm, Digimon...

I love the Digi-dub! It's great! And my favorite character sounds even *better* in the dub! (seriously, in Japanese, Oikawa sounds like any stock stereotyped villian, but in the dub he's got *depth* to his acting!)

*looks around* I liked the CCS voices, especially Kero's *ducks back away*

I also like the Pokémon voice acting. It's so much fun, although they could stand to hire more people. If I have to hear the Ritchie voice one more time, I'm hitting someone.

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2004, 10:21:37 pm »
Let's see, I've seen more anime dubbed than I have subbed so this should be easy, but...

The worst?: Sailor Moon Season Three, Watched an episode and then avoided it altogether. Inu Yasha, I will not watch this dubbed. It was terrible! Golden Boy is pretty bad, and so is Yu-Gi-Oh.

The Best?: Princess Mononoke is all I can think of right now.

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline ScorpioEyez

• Cabbit
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2004, 07:34:20 pm »
best: Azumanga Daioh

worst: Record Of Lodoss War (TV and OVA)

Offline Kuu

• Sailor Scout
worst
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2004, 08:05:16 pm »
Worst : Cardcaptors, by far, they butchered it.
Kcon 2011 plans
Toph
Fire Nation Toph
Toothless

Offline wingzero_010

• Oni
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2004, 12:12:35 am »
my favorite dubbs are Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun,
El-hazard the wanderers and nadesico. the my
least favorite are ai yori aoshi, saber marionette
j-x, and i didnt like seras Voice at all on hellsing.

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2004, 11:03:50 pm »
The best Kidized anime that I've seen dubbed would have to be nearly every season of Digimon, though Tamers bugged me a bit - not sure why. I just wish they hadn't changed things so much... on an aside, I'm having a hell of a time finding subbed Digimon of any season but Frontier! Anybody know where I can find some?

Other than Kidized anime, I don't watch much dubbed Anime, but the Lain one was ... tolerable ... x_X;

The WORST dub would probably have to be Inu-Yasha. I CANNOT watch that show. AT ALL. Though that may be because of all the insane fans I've had the misfortune to run into... it's a shame how America's taken to Cartoon Network anime.

Ranma was pretty terrible too, acting-wise...

Number one on my Bad Dub List would have to be Slayers, though - the first season was decent, but NEXT = NO, and TRY = bloody ear-time.

Poor, poor Xelloss. Why, David Moo, WHY?!?!

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2004, 11:25:32 pm »
...which implies you can find subbed Frontier. Please tell me where.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2004, 08:31:37 am »
The best dubbs I've seen to date at Jin-Roh, Grave of the Fireflies, and My Neighbor Totoro.

Mononoke Hime was a good dubb, but not the greatest of translations.  There's a difference.

The worst dubbs, hands down, would have to be Macross Plus, Hoshi No Koe, and Sailor Moon.  At least most dubbs keep their characters thier proper gender, but Sailor Moon keeps no such promise. ^.^;
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2004, 05:14:25 pm »
Let's see, I've seen more anime dubbed than I have subbed so this should be easy, but...

The worst?: Sailor Moon Season Three, Watched an episode and then avoided it altogether. Inu Yasha, I will not watch this dubbed. It was terrible! Golden Boy is pretty bad, and so is Yu-Gi-Oh.

The Best?: Princess Mononoke is all I can think of right now.

agree

i though we were about even on the subed to dub ratio
well atleast since we stop watching craptoon network

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2004, 10:40:44 pm »
I've seen WAY more subbed anime than dubbed.  Probably because I've only seen about 10 licenced series that are out on DVD, or on TV.  I watch a lot of fansubs, and then once a show is licenced and starts coming out in the US I start purchasing the DVDs, and they sit on my self until I get nostalgic and watch them again (which happened with Scryed not too long ago).
~Sean Larson~

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2004, 01:33:57 am »
Quote from: "Kei-Kei"
Golden Boy is pretty bad

Also, it's not the best dub, but I hear the Angel Cop one is quite funny.

"If this is justice, then I'm a banana!"
heh.

Offline ChainSawder

• Oni
    • http://
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2004, 11:06:32 pm »
best: Princess Mononoke
worst:Cardcaptors *shiver*, Excel Saga *more shivers*
*poke poke*

Offline yukimizu

• Chibi
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2004, 07:32:41 pm »
Quote from: "ChainSawder"
best: Princess Mononoke
worst:Cardcaptors *shiver*, Excel Saga *more shivers*

I liked the Card Captor Sakura movie...the first one. The second one kinda sucked.

But I'd say I liked Trigun, Inuyasha, and Gundam Wing.

I didn't really like alot of the Sailor Moon. And ...:thinks: DBZ wasn't too special with me.... >.>;;

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 08:06:53 pm »
I thought of two more earlier today: RAVE and Duel Monsters.  Has anybody else seen these?  I think it's awful when a dub includes "something of the times" in America in a Japanese anime.  To explain what I mean, in one part of Duel Monsters I came across by chance, the mom asked a goblin over the phone if they were tall and had blonde hair like Orlando Bloom.  Seriously!!!  RAVE did something else like that but I (fortunately) forgot it.

Offline Spit

• Sailor Scout
    • http://thebakaotaku.topcities.com
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2004, 11:18:04 pm »
i've seen most of everything i have seen dubbed, but i saw a couple not, and it was hard to get used to becasue i gotten so used to the dubbed. but the best for me dubbed is cowboy bebop, spikes vocie is really hott, and not dubbed he sounds like a pussy. oh well, the worst....well................................thats a good question.l..im blanking right now but oh well.
mention this to me and watch the weather change.
--------------------------------------
Sakura-Con/Kumori-Con 08-10:
Bubble Head Nurse-100%
Zapdos-20%

Offline Aurora

• Chibi
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2004, 11:56:07 pm »
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun's dubs are pretty good :D

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2004, 08:35:31 am »
Quote from: "yukimizu"

But I'd say I liked Trigun, Inuyasha, and Gundam Wing.

*shudders* The Inu Yasha dub made me cringe the first time I heard Kagome's voice >.<;;; And Inu Yasha should NOT sound like he's going to cry every time he gets hit! I love Ranma's voice actor, don't get me wrong, but he's not an Inu Yasha! And Ukyo coming out of Sango is kinda funky to me, but not that bad O.o Then again, I've been spoiled on the subs. The original Japanese voice actor for Inu Yasha is amazing, I've yet to hear anyone else come close to doing the perfect lil' growl he does ^_^

Gundam Wing and Trigun were good subs tho. I also liked the Fushigi Yuugi subs too, mainly because Tasuki's english voice perfectly suits him, IMHO. Miaka's voice is a little whiny, but that also matches her, sadly ^.^;; She gets better after the first ew eps tho.
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
Best/worst dubbed animes
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2004, 01:31:53 pm »
i've seen most of the mentioned series and none of em are as bad as they get.I'm surprised this one has gone on unchecked. 3X3 eyes was dubbed so terribly that the story that the translators engineered didn't make sense. everyone of  the voice actors were terreble. i think that i covered all of the flaws. correct me if i missed any.
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)