Author Topic: Cons about Kumoricon 2013 (and suggestions for next year)  (Read 74955 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Re: Cons about Kumoricon 2013 (and suggestions for next year)
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 07:32:19 pm »
Oh yeah, another con is that there was no photoshoot guide at the info desk like there's been in previous years. When I asked, I was told that the shoots weren't officially part of the convention...but then why have they been there in years past? I was told to use the app, but I don't have cell phone access at this time (it literally broke in half), and not everyone has a smartphone in the first place. And isn't that a convention app anyway? Why would, if they're "unofficial", they be on an official app?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #51 on: September 05, 2013, 07:44:23 pm »
Oh yeah, another con is that there was no photoshoot guide at the info desk like there's been in previous years. When I asked, I was told that the shoots weren't officially part of the convention...but then why have they been there in years past? I was told to use the app, but I don't have cell phone access at this time (it literally broke in half), and not everyone has a smartphone in the first place. And isn't that a convention app anyway? Why would, if they're "unofficial", they be on an official app?

The photoshoot schedule changes right up until the con. It would be misleading to print a schedule that is frequently changing in books that have to go to print significantly sooner.

And, if you are objecting to it being in the app because it's not official, then we would refuse to allow it at the Info Booth as well. It benefits the nearly 40% of attendees who downloaded the app guide this year. We're not going to keep something useful out of the app just because not everyone uses it.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #52 on: September 05, 2013, 07:46:44 pm »
Additionally, at least during some parts of the convention, the Info Booth displayed the forum photoshoot schedule on a monitor. I don't know during what parts this was active.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2013, 07:51:39 pm »
And, if you are objecting to it being in the app because it's not official, then we would refuse to allow it at the Info Booth as well. It benefits the nearly 40% of attendees who downloaded the app guide this year. We're not going to keep something useful out of the app just because not everyone uses it.

No, my objection was exactly the opposite--why was it not at the info desk if it was in the app? Why was I told that the info desk wouldn't have it because they're unofficial, and then hear that they're in the app? If they're official enough for the app, surely the info desk can have a printout. And as far as the schedules changing, the info desk can change that info as needed. It's vitally important to know these things and to hear that they're "unofficial" when everything else seems to indicate otherwise is absurd.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55:59 pm »
The photobooth had a schedule for the entire weekend right by the door.

It listed the dates and times that they were going to be at the convention and it also listed a couple of the primary guidelines. I don't think they're considered "official" since they mostly volunteer their services. But, they're a big deal at the con for those that want fantastic photos taken of their costumes and they've been a part of the con for a few years now; so I can't say whether they're official or not.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2013, 08:00:48 pm »
No, my objection was exactly the opposite--why was it not at the info desk if it was in the app? Why was I told that the info desk wouldn't have it because they're unofficial, and then hear that they're in the app? If they're official enough for the app, surely the info desk can have a printout. And as far as the schedules changing, the info desk can change that info as needed. It's vitally important to know these things and to hear that they're "unofficial" when everything else seems to indicate otherwise is absurd.

It is unofficial, as it is not con-produced programming.

Unofficial things are included on an as-able basis, and are not disseminated through a channel that passes through all the departments, like Info Booth, Publicity, and such, with a special effort to match it everywhere we publish it. That doesn't mean we won't sometimes assist with spreading the info in certain ways, which is what happened with the app. Sorry the Info Booth didn't have it in print form, but I want to clear up that what they said about it being unofficial was correct.

The photobooth had a schedule for the entire weekend right by the door.

It listed the dates and times that they were going to be at the convention and it also listed a couple of the primary guidelines. I don't think they're considered "official" since they mostly volunteer their services. But, they're a big deal at the con for those that want fantastic photos taken of their costumes and they've been a part of the con for a few years now; so I can't say whether they're official or not.

The PhotoBooth is something different. I am, and I think Blackjack is, talking about the photoshoots that people do outside con space, mostly in the park.

Offline hexdef6

• Oni
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2013, 08:45:37 pm »
I also have a complaint about the last day. The park was soooo awful to be in the last day because EVERYONE was smoking around the perimeter. I even saw someone light one up RIGHT NEXT TO A MOTHER AND HER BABY. That is just sooo rude.
people have TO REMEMBER THE LAST DAY EVERY YEAR THE STUPID motorbikers and drunks destroy the park

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2013, 08:54:45 pm »
I also have a complaint about the last day. The park was soooo awful to be in the last day because EVERYONE was smoking around the perimeter. I even saw someone light one up RIGHT NEXT TO A MOTHER AND HER BABY. That is just sooo rude.
people have TO REMEMBER THE LAST DAY EVERY YEAR THE STUPID motorbikers and drunks destroy the park

I would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed in the behavior of some of the people attending the event. I think multiple events occur in the park on that day, but in particular I noticed some people from the Hands Across the Bridge (is that right?) that were behaving in ways that would have made a mother yell at her 5-year-old.

I suppose I naively assume someone that has had their life significantly changed by addiction and the subsequent recovery would be a kinder, gentler, more thoughtful purpose. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to always be the case. Even more upsetting when the person is clearly STAFF for the event.

(And just to clarify, it was nothing malicious.. just childish antics from a grown man that is most likely in his mid-30s or later.)

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline CMD Productions

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2013, 09:05:43 pm »
I enjoy the tech people at the Cosplay Contest, but they should schedule time ahead of the Contest to make sure the cues and the boards are working. That way the audience isn't waiting a large amount of time before the show actually starts.

Don't I know it. We have very limited amount of time to actually program the lighting cues into the console, set up the sound cues to match the order and make sure that the camera feeds and backstage techs are ready for a show that really only gets a half a rehearsal the morning of the show and can deviate cues and we need to roll with the punches. After we had everything set we received a new list from the coordinators with different numbers and names for all of the contestants so we needed to reprogram the show and reorg all the supporting lighting, sound and backstage cues and double check that the sound cues were still linked to the corresponding skit. I was programming like crazy and Chris and Talia I know worked hard to get the show up and running. We also had a large number of contestants with either corrupted sound files or files in need of editing that we helped them out with which further ate into our time.  We really should have been more strict but it's all about having fun and rolling with what your given.  There were some files we couldn't get to work but for the most part once we got going things went really smooth.  With four days next year we may have the ability to give more down time to main events for programing and cosplay set up. :)

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2013, 06:30:30 am »
I think this con turned out alright.
Id have to say the only things that were bad for me were the vendors hall and artist alley, the sheer lack of respect from con goers to other con goers, and the stupid Homestucker that thought it was a good idea to paint the subways women's restroom with your grey body paint. Thanks to you, I've got grease paint on my cosplay.
Honestly people, mainly you Homestuckers, if you want to keep going to kumo and not have to complain about how NOBODY in that area wants us there, then you need to check your freaking behavior and not do stuff that will get us kicked out.
*on a side note, this isn't to say all Homestuckers are bad. I had a lovely conversation with a group of them on day one, and I was very happy to have made friends with them.*

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #60 on: September 06, 2013, 09:30:04 am »
I enjoy the tech people at the Cosplay Contest, but they should schedule time ahead of the Contest to make sure the cues and the boards are working. That way the audience isn't waiting a large amount of time before the show actually starts.

As one of the individuals responsible for the room, I completely agree with Mike's statement. I'll add that the Main Events Staff have to be experts at "rolling with the punches" and that we do whatever we can to mitigate problems as quickly as possible. This year, we were fortunate to have seating for the contest take longer than expected and were only needing an extra 10-15 minutes to get everything set.

I'll also add that the Cosplay Contest Staff has a bit of work to do as well, since we end up spending about half of the Cosplay Technical Rehearsal straightening out items that could be dealt with beforehand.

Every year things get better and we always strive for perfection and we appreciate every bit of patience the con-goers provide!  ;D
--Chris ^_^

Offline Chibiorochimaru

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #61 on: September 06, 2013, 11:04:52 am »
I can honestly say this was one of my favorite years so far~
I love the new location of the dealers hall even if it was lacking a little bit.
What I really had problems with (even if its not cons problem) was the event going on during the last day in the park.
Every year I think certain people get worse and worse. I had several high-school aged boys cat call me saying rather inappropriate things as we simply tried to get over to subway.
There was also someone cosplaying Fix-it-Felix going around warning people about kids going around throwing water on cosplayers. (I do appreciate your warning though. Thank you Felix!)
Not to mention all the smoking that was going on. It made it hard to leave the Hilton at times, and again I know its nothing against con but really wanted to express this.
La vie est le plus beau spectacle sur terre~

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #62 on: September 06, 2013, 11:19:07 am »
Gosh I want them to reserve the park during Kumori and actually make it apart of Kumori. It would make so much more sense. I really hate that. It destroys the atmosphere every year and really ruins our fun. They can have their stupid festival somewhere else!

Offline Chibiorochimaru

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #63 on: September 06, 2013, 11:51:42 am »
Gosh I want them to reserve the park during Kumori and actually make it apart of Kumori. It would make so much more sense. I really hate that. It destroys the atmosphere every year and really ruins our fun. They can have their stupid festival somewhere else!
THANK YOU!
La vie est le plus beau spectacle sur terre~

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #64 on: September 06, 2013, 11:58:47 am »
THANK YOU!
word
http://oxfest.net/ (the event in the park fyi stating with hands across the bridge celebrating recovery from addiction)

I agree with the posts.  People celebrating sobriety and addiction such, its easy to think they would be understanding of how it feels to be judged by what your wearing, but sadly its not the case.

Figured that last year when a mom was yelling at her kid for wearing his hoodie like a tail after seeing cosplayers with tails. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:00:04 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2013, 12:22:52 pm »
THANK YOU!
word
http://oxfest.net/ (the event in the park fyi stating with hands across the bridge celebrating recovery from addiction)

I agree with the posts.  People celebrating sobriety and addiction such, its easy to think they would be understanding of how it feels to be judged by what your wearing, but sadly its not the case.

Figured that last year when a mom was yelling at her kid for wearing his hoodie like a tail after seeing cosplayers with tails.
I was looking up the cost to rent out the park for 4 days and it seems expensive. $1,600+ So fundraiser to make it happen? That way photoshoots can be official parts of Kumoricon and you can register them with con... But the only real bad thing about that is that the Glomp Circle would have to cease and desist. :(

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2013, 12:57:27 pm »

I said it last year I think it going to be impossible to rent out the park and throw out Oxfest without serious repercussions with the city of Vancouver. They were there longer than Kumoricon and we just agreed to  the hotel not hotel and park.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #67 on: September 06, 2013, 01:27:15 pm »
Which brings me [to]... I've noticed sometimes that the panels can be a little disjointed. Particularly when you start to involve technology. Staring at someone's desktop while they search around for a file that they misplaced can kill the momentum of a great panel!
This happens to me as a presenter off and on. I work with software that can sometimes be temperamental, and also some ad-hoc networking between my laptop and maybe a NAS box to access LARGE files used in digital editing. Ideally one gets a chance in a hotel room to do a 'dry-run' set up of the system in the configuration that one is presenting, much the same as a presenter may practice talking aloud while going through Powerpoint items to practice up on a presentation.

That said, not all of us are Toastmaster-level public speakers. (I used to belong, and it's actually great practice for public speaking or group presentations on a job...) For the panelist side, "the show must go on." Work the crowd with questions, or with verbal information to buy yourself a little extra time to find where that damned AVI file was that you thought you had in the 'Projects/' directory...

For the visitor's side, if the presenter has indeed switched to verbal transmission for the subject manner while visually searching for a file AND also trying not to say 'um' too many times* then LISTEN UP. And ask questions pertinent to what you are trying to learn. Not every part of a presentation is going to have special video effects to engage your eyes 90% of the time...

* Toastmasters will NAIL you on that...

Offline Trochy

• Oni
« Reply #68 on: September 06, 2013, 01:35:34 pm »
Everyone's talking about competing with Oxfest for park space but I feel like a better solution would be keeping Kumo as a three day con with Friday instead of Monday. That way, both events could have the park to themselves and the two parties wouldn't be harassing each other. I can't think of a single attendee who actually enjoys Oxfest's presence, and no amount of growth in con attendance or length is going to help that (until one of us leaves, which I don't think they plan on doing). For now, I think Oxfest will continue to be a huge negative of Kumoricon, for everyone involved.

As for the rest of the con... I have to agree with everyone else saying the merchandise variety was lacking this year. I'm not really into prints or any the same few series I kept seeing over and over at vendor booths. I wanted to spend more money! :( Staff communication didn't seem the best either (specifically thinking of the whole cosplay contest line issue) but I think that will always be somewhat of an issue considering the nature of cons.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #69 on: September 06, 2013, 02:15:49 pm »
I think honestly we can share the park, but since harassment is an issue we need to have both sides get a security presence in there. We need to talk to Oxfest about it and tell them that this is a recurring issue and that it affects not only us as a convention but the city security.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2013, 02:31:15 pm »
1) The ball. Last year it was discrepancies between staff about the line that created a huge problem. THANK YOU for ticketing it this year, however this year it was the dress code creating problems. It was stated that the dress code needs to become stricter, I 100% think that is NOT the problem, it doesn't need to be stricter, it needs to be CLEARER. You say semi-formal, formal, and cosplay. You say no sandals, flip flops unless part of cosplay. But then someone cosplaying Jesus cannot get in because his outfit is made of cotton? Because he is wearing flip flops? He is in cosplay. He is in flip flops but they are PART of the cosplay, he is following the rules!!! It no where said cosplay needs to be of a certain caliber, it simply stated- cosplay. A woman dressed in a $500 cocktail dress she bought for her senior prom years ago, wearing high-heeled strappy open toed shoes, she is in no ones mind, not formal. But she is not allowed because her skirt is too short? Because her formal shoes can be categorized as sandals? She is following the rules! (Any woman, girl, anyone who has bought an outfit for prom should know, there is a big difference between casual sandals and formal sandals)

If you are going to say cosplay is allowed, but then limit the type of cosplay after that- it needs to be WRITTEN out. Cosplay- UNLESS- etc. Semi formal and formal cosplays only. Example: ect. Spell. It. Out. Do not leave one thing to a guessing game come time con. And do not- enforce rules AFTER the rules have already been printed in the con book. That is completely unfair.

2) Lines. Our third year in a row at one location, I don't understand why where lines are going to go is such a huge issue. It just seems like something we should automatically know, every staffer should know, especially info booth, before the con starts. I understand we jumped in attendance this year, but that doesn't seem like it should be such a huge factor we didn't know where any line was going anywhere throughout the whole con. I realllly hope that after this year we can get an idea where we want lines to go for what events, and when the event schedule is out, someone can please plan the line routes then relay that information to the rest of staff. Also, more signage would be great. Instead of walking about trying to figure out if this line is for this, is that line for that, is the line outside on which wall, or inside against the wall, we can have large signs like the "Start of Line" "End of Line" signs, and put on there, for WHAT event. Put signs out every panel room saying where the line for that event will start. "Signs are not in the budget" is a horrible excuse. How much money does it take to make a sign that would solve a huge percentage of what attendees complain about and what causes stress on staff. Even regular printer paper, markers, and tape. I would have gladly made some for every panel room at Info Booth with those supplies in under five minutes if it could have spared the headaches that were the lines this year. Same thing goes for events with ticketing. We need a plan going in, on if we allow attendees without tickets to line up, but make sure they are in back, or tell them to go away and then come back (which I see not really working because if someone really wants in they are going to hover and block walking space) and then let maid squad, yoji, and info booth know this so we know what we are doing, looking for, and can give accurate information.

3) A lack of adult panels it felt like this year
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:43:25 pm by Kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2013, 02:35:24 pm »

The photo shoot schedule is not officially part of con, and I do not remember it ever having it being printed in the con book itself. We did however, have hard copies at Info booth last year to hand out.

Next year I may print copies myself to hand out for Info Booth with a disclaimer on top saying that shoots are subject to change, and are not in anyway scheduled by the con, and to make sure your shoot is up to date, please check the forums. We were all frustrated at Info Booth because we kept getting asked, but we were not given any this year. So sorry about that, but it was out of our hands, and I did not have access to do any printing while at con. We did eventually get a TV screen up and had it open to the forums where the photoshoot schedule was listed. That lasted for about half a day... before our laptop stopped working all together...
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 02:38:58 pm by Kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline hexdef6

• Oni
« Reply #72 on: September 06, 2013, 02:50:53 pm »
1) The ball. Last year it was discrepancies between staff about the line that created a huge problem. THANK YOU for ticketing it this year, however this year it was the dress code creating problems. It was stated that the dress code needs to become stricter, I 100% think that is NOT the problem, it doesn't need to be stricter, it needs to be CLEARER. You say semi-formal, formal, and cosplay. You say no sandals, flip flops unless part of cosplay. But then someone cosplaying Jesus cannot get in because his outfit is made of cotton? Because he is wearing flip flops? He is in cosplay. He is in flip flops but they are PART of the cosplay, he is following the rules!!! It no where said cosplay needs to be of a certain caliber, it simply stated- cosplay. A woman dressed in a $500 cocktail dress she bought for her senior prom years ago, wearing high-heeled strappy open toed shoes, she is in no ones mind, not formal. But she is not allowed because her skirt is too short? Because her formal shoes can be categorized as sandals? She is following the rules! (Any woman, girl, anyone who has bought an outfit for prom should know, there is a big difference between casual sandals and formal sandals)

If you are going to say cosplay is allowed, but then limit the type of cosplay after that- it needs to be WRITTEN out. Cosplay- UNLESS- etc. Semi formal and formal cosplays only. Example: ect. Spell. It. Out. Do not leave one thing to a guessing game come time con. And do not- enforce rules AFTER the rules have already been printed in the con book. That is completely unfair.

2) Lines. Our third year in a row at one location, I don't understand why where lines are going to go is such a huge issue. It just seems like something we should automatically know, every staffer should know, especially info booth, before the con starts. I understand we jumped in attendance this year, but that doesn't seem like it should be such a huge factor we didn't know where any line was going anywhere throughout the whole con. I realllly hope that after this year we can get an idea where we want lines to go for what events, and when the event schedule is out, someone can please plan the line routes then relay that information to the rest of staff. Also, more signage would be great. Instead of walking about trying to figure out if this line is for this, is that line for that, is the line outside on which wall, or inside against the wall, we can have large signs like the "Start of Line" "End of Line" signs, and put on there, for WHAT event. Put signs out every panel room saying where the line for that event will start. "Signs are not in the budget" is a horrible excuse. How much money does it take to make a sign that would solve a huge percentage of what attendees complain about and what causes stress on staff. Even regular printer paper, markers, and tape. I would have gladly made some for every panel room at Info Booth with those supplies in under five minutes if it could have spared the headaches that were the lines this year. Same thing goes for events with ticketing. We need a plan going in, on if we allow attendees without tickets to line up, but make sure they are in back, or tell them to go away and then come back (which I see not really working because if someone really wants in they are going to hover and block walking space) and then let maid squad, yoji, and info booth know this so we know what we are doing, looking for, and can give accurate information.

3) A lack of adult panels it felt like this year
couldn't have said it better

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2013, 04:41:53 pm »
People's reactions to the other group in the park really rub me the wrong way.why do we have a right to be there and they don't? Why should they have to leave?

If they said that we need to leave and do our convention somewhere else just because a few of us were being jerks that would make them ass holes. It's no different for us. I have had nothing but pleasant encounters with that group every year (other than the fact that it makes the park really crowded but that's hardly a crime) I'm not saying that there aren't individuals there that cause problems but that's true of every large group of people, ourselves included.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #74 on: September 06, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »
Which brings me [to]... I've noticed sometimes that the panels can be a little disjointed. Particularly when you start to involve technology. Staring at someone's desktop while they search around for a file that they misplaced can kill the momentum of a great panel!
This happens to me as a presenter off and on. I work with software that can sometimes be temperamental, and also some ad-hoc networking between my laptop and maybe a NAS box to access LARGE files used in digital editing. Ideally one gets a chance in a hotel room to do a 'dry-run' set up of the system in the configuration that one is presenting, much the same as a presenter may practice talking aloud while going through Powerpoint items to practice up on a presentation.

Totally understandable! Sometimes we are all at the mercy of technology. Things like that are simply unavoidable. So are things like the projector being missing from the room because someone took it to another panel. I've definitely seen that happen! :)

And I don't mean to imply that any of the panel hosts were sloppy! Rather, I think they ran into some things they didn't expect.

That said, not all of us are Toastmaster-level public speakers. (I used to belong, and it's actually great practice for public speaking or group presentations on a job...) For the panelist side, "the show must go on." Work the crowd with questions, or with verbal information to buy yourself a little extra time to find where that damned AVI file was that you thought you had in the 'Projects/' directory...

I'm not going to be upset with someone for not being a stellar public presenter. I'm certainly not much of a public speaker myself.

And I have also attended a handful of Toastmaster's meetings. I think people that have aspirations of hosting a panel and some day speaking in front of large crowds should definitely consider finding the location of their local Toastmaster's. And to be honest, a lot of people don't even know Toastmaster's exists! I'm sure they wouldn't mind an influx of young adults headed their way. :)

And stuff like asking questions during down time a lot of people might not even consider to do. It's just easy to take for granted because you've probably ran into that situation before and now you know how to handle it.

For the visitor's side, if the presenter has indeed switched to verbal transmission for the subject manner while visually searching for a file AND also trying not to say 'um' too many times* then LISTEN UP. And ask questions pertinent to what you are trying to learn. Not every part of a presentation is going to have special video effects to engage your eyes 90% of the time...

I totally understand that. Again, I don't think any panels have been ruined by any of the things I have encountered. Rather, they could simply be improved if people running were made aware that certain things could be an issue.

* Toastmasters will NAIL you on that...

I've heard many a bells ringing my way during the improv portions!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 04:47:30 pm by reppy »

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #75 on: September 06, 2013, 04:52:07 pm »
People's reactions to the other group in the park really rub me the wrong way.why do we have a right to be there and they don't? Why should they have to leave?

If they said that we need to leave and do our convention somewhere else just because a few of us were being jerks that would make them ass holes. It's no different for us. I have had nothing but pleasant encounters with that group every year (other than the fact that it makes the park really crowded but that's hardly a crime) I'm not saying that there aren't individuals there that cause problems but that's true of every large group of people, ourselves included.

I don't have a problem with them being there. They have as much right as we do. And I'm sure there's a group of them on a message board complaining about how we ruin the park for them and all that.  ;D

Offline Zensuke

• Chibi
« Reply #76 on: September 06, 2013, 04:55:30 pm »
I don't have a problem with them being there. They have as much right as we do. And I'm sure there's a group of them on a message board complaining about how we ruin the park for them and all that.  ;D

I'm sure there are and I would hope that their reaction to our complaining would be the same as mine to theirs, which is neatly summarized by your profile pic.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #77 on: September 06, 2013, 05:19:24 pm »

I'm sure there are and I would hope that their reaction to our complaining would be the same as mine to theirs, which is neatly summarized by your profile pic.

It's not very often that I actually lol when I'm in front of the computer reading something.

But I just did.  8)

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: September 06, 2013, 07:11:43 pm »
... one panel that I went to the person hosting it was running about five minutes late, only to find that the room that the panel was supposed to be hosted in was locked, which caused more delays while everyone waited several minutes for the room to be unlocked.

Yeah - that was probably *my* panel - I was slamming in my room assembling the Closing Ceremonies winners vid looked up at the clock and OH CRAP MY PANEL STARTS NOW! Gathered all the props for it and hit the elevator delay - then we find the door locked and I am thinking "amatol, C4, semtex, RDX, Tovex, hmm.... must be SOME way to get this door open... Anybody got any Meal-D?'

Next year I think we could easily banter for 90 min.
Also, I'd like to work through 'official' channels to see if I could bring a few 'interesting' display items someday.. especially if we are ever in Oregon...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #79 on: September 06, 2013, 07:43:54 pm »
Everyone's talking about competing with Oxfest for park space but I feel like a better solution would be keeping Kumo as a three day con with Friday instead of Monday.
Hubby man and I were talking about this idea last night, I like the idea but don't know how feasible it would be.

... one panel that I went to the person hosting it was running about five minutes late, only to find that the room that the panel was supposed to be hosted in was locked, which caused more delays while everyone waited several minutes for the room to be unlocked.

Yeah - that was probably *my* panel - I was slamming in my room assembling the Closing Ceremonies winners vid looked up at the clock and OH CRAP MY PANEL STARTS NOW! Gathered all the props for it and hit the elevator delay - then we find the door locked and I am thinking "amatol, C4, semtex, RDX, Tovex, hmm.... must be SOME way to get this door open... Anybody got any Meal-D?'

Also, I'd like to work through 'official' channels to see if I could bring a few 'interesting' display items someday.. especially if we are ever in Oregon...
I wouldn't worry as I am sure you have panel brownie points from that year a person running a para para panel didn't show up and you showed AMVs instead and no one complained, 2010 I think...

To the oxfest "we were as bothersome to them as they were to us"  This is the con/complaint thread.  Where people post from their own personal interactions with that group during con.
That said they are renting(?)  the park and that would give them the right to that area vs k-con peeps walking around it.  Tho from the stories I have heard and read maybe requesting more of a police/park security presence would be beneficial for the safety of both parties?  Not really to do anything, but think how people slow down when they see a cop car?  Like that.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #80 on: September 06, 2013, 07:48:02 pm »

Thank you! That would be a brilliant way to solve that problem.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #81 on: September 06, 2013, 08:52:55 pm »
^ they might already have the location locked in for next year.  Heck we do for the hilton and red lion, so its easy to see.

If nothing else, a little blurb in the con book, explaining the event going on there Monday so people know what is going on, and its not a surprise to new attendees.

*unless there is and I just didn't see it, that has happened before*
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 08:53:56 pm by superjaz »

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #82 on: September 06, 2013, 10:21:15 pm »
I would really like a larger "bored room" There were never enough chairs in there. Every time I went up there, people were sitting on the floor, there was never table space. I just wanted a calm place to talk with my friend and possibly begin work on the manga we were inspired to make. But there was just no where to do that other than the bored room which was always packed...

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2013, 01:14:48 am »

Thank you! That would be a brilliant way to solve that problem.

To be fair, Oxfest is a Washington festivity and Kcon is an Oregon event; techinically, we're intruding on their territory. If it's really such a problem, then maybe we should have Kcon a bit earlier so it doesn't clash with Oxfest - we have our space and they'll have theirs and we won't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2013, 01:17:01 am »
I would really like a larger "bored room" There were never enough chairs in there. Every time I went up there, people were sitting on the floor, there was never table space. I just wanted a calm place to talk with my friend and possibly begin work on the manga we were inspired to make. But there was just no where to do that other than the bored room which was always packed...

The "bored room" isn't the same as the manga library? Or are they separate areas?
I know what you mean, though, it gets awful crowded downstairs in the afternoon. On Day 2, I was lucky to find a comfy couch to sit on downstairs after most of the popular panels were over when it was about four or five at night.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2013, 03:08:59 am »

As one of the individuals responsible for the room, I completely agree with Mike's statement. I'll add that the Main Events Staff have to be experts at "rolling with the punches" and that we do whatever we can to mitigate problems as quickly as possible. This year, we were fortunate to have seating for the contest take longer than expected and were only needing an extra 10-15 minutes to get everything set.

I'll also add that the Cosplay Contest Staff has a bit of work to do as well, since we end up spending about half of the Cosplay Technical Rehearsal straightening out items that could be dealt with beforehand.

Every year things get better and we always strive for perfection and we appreciate every bit of patience the con-goers provide!  ;D

I wouldn't mind seeing things improve for the Cosplay Contest, namely, since it's such a time eater for the Main Events. I'm not crazy about the tech rehearsal being from 7:30am until 10am,  but you take what you're given. Mainly speaking to the issues that could've been sorted out ahead of time, couldn't it be possible that people hand in their sound at the first Contest check-in that happens the night before? Some people were ready to hand in their music then. That could at least let people know if things need editing or if they're corrupt, you'd know before the tech rehearsal.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Yanagiba

• Cabbit
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2013, 03:32:50 am »
Just to shine a bit of light on the situation with panels, if you want more variety in content, please run a panel at the convention on the content you want. This is the easiest way to achieve this. Because of the changes to layout between the both hotels, there were actually more rooms for panels this year than any other year, and there were actually more panels run this year because of it. This also meant that the vast majority of panels that were submitted were accepted as well. If you're interested in getting something going for a particular panel, try bouncing ideas around on the forums with other attendees and see what others think. Others who share similar interests will help you get going (and possibly even help you run the panel).

To give a good example of this, the Probending Tournament that happened this year was pretty much born from FilkAeris's idea that she put up on the forums and got a lot of feedback from others on. After a lot of communication with the Programming department, the panel became somewhat of a premier event and seemed to be well accepted at the convention this year. That's right, the panel was submitted by an attendee (although we eventually signed her up as staff due to the many hours of content she ended up running). You can do it too~

About Kumoricon being more friendly to non-anime fandoms, as far as panels go, it is the same issue as above. If it isn't submitted, it simply doesn't happen. However, since this is an anime convention, if too many things are submitted from a particular non-anime fandom, they are the most likely targets for being cut. That being said, I think that particular issue has only come up once or twice since I've started helping with panels, so if you're interested in submitting a non-anime panel idea, please do submit it!

As far as the ball goes, we're already talking about how to deal with the dress code issues that came up this year. There were multiple issues that came up that will most certainly be addressed in the dress code rules for next year. Also, since someone was wondering about the passes for the ball, they were meant more as a method to expedite the dress code check so the initial group of people could get in immediately when the ball started rather than a staggered entry as outfits are checked.

Hopefully this clears up a lot of the issues I saw...
2011-2016  Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2010  Live Events Manager
2007  Assistant Tech Manager
2006  Programming Grunt
2005  Volunteer (practically staff)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2013, 07:56:28 am »

About Kumoricon being more friendly to non-anime fandoms, as far as panels go, it is the same issue as above. If it isn't submitted, it simply doesn't happen. However, since this is an anime convention, if too many things are submitted from a particular non-anime fandom, they are the most likely targets for being cut. That being said, I think that particular issue has only come up once or twice since I've started helping with panels, so if you're interested in submitting a non-anime panel idea, please do submit it!

This could be easier to accomplish for next year on account of us expanding to four days.  GIVE IT A SHOT!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2013, 09:43:32 am »
5.) I really wish that Kumoricon was more friendly towards non-anime fans. Don't take this the wrong way, I still enjoy anime and Japanese culture, but I'm starting to outgrow it and I think it's a common trait in our generation. Over these three years of attending the con, I've seen people cosplaying video game characters, comic book characters and even Doctor Who and internet memes. I feel that it's probably time to start thinking of games and events that incorporate these genres and changing the rules for the cosplay contest so people with different interests feel more welcome. From my own experience, I worked really hard on my Lara Croft cosplay and I had thought about trying to get into the cosplay contest only to be given a half-answer (Because it wasn't Japan-related, it didn't apply to costume judging or a solo spot; but I was considered for a skit slot). I felt unwelcome and pushed aside simply because what I wore wasn't anime-related.
I've done "Mr. Monopoly" a few times as a spoof/joke costume, in that well, yes it IS a game character but most people don't expect it at an anime con. I only kept it on for short period of time, or in the context the Japanese-style commodity-trading panel I did, where the underlying theme was making money.

One possibility as you move on into new chapters of your own life is to start visiting other cons and other fandoms. Downstairs in dealers there were two 'steampunk' tables there and one of the guys quipped: "Steampunk is where anime fans go when they get old."

There is a new con in the area coalescing called Newcon, which seems to welcome a very broad spectrum of fandom (steampunk, SF, anime, even buckskinners, maybe?)

Orycon is another local con which bills itself as a regional SF con, and it *used* to have active costuming and media events up until about 15 years ago when the director level staff got hijacked by a cabal of "LIT-ruh-chuh" types who chased out most everything that wasn't about writing and publishing SF (yawn and yawn for me, though.) I did encounter some resistance there once my AMV overnighter became popular - they cut me off from their tech to try to 'clamp down on these crazy media fans' who (ugh) don't care about reading. So I know what it's like to be at a con where what you enjoy best is subtly not wanted here.

In this case the trick is to gather enough people around your interest to HAVE FUN ANYWAY in the middle of No True Scotsman types even if there are only 20 of you. It might be interesting if the Lara Crofts, and media-based fandom (web comics too?) the emerging English-language sort-of manga, etc. might rally at Orycon...

As your interests range beyond anime, why not look beyond Kumoricon?
There may be other regional events throughout the year where you can have cool fun,
and people who come to Kumoricon to enjoy anime and Asian culture will be able to enjoy that as a cultural concentration - undiluted by Twilight, Harry Potter, Dr. Who, Star Wars, and all that other stuff which would do great at other regional events.

tl;dr: Rather than wondering if a Japanese restaurant should include more Lebanese food, just go to the Lebanese restaurant on some other night.

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2013, 09:53:17 am »

The "bored room" isn't the same as the manga library? Or are they separate areas?
I know what you mean, though, it gets awful crowded downstairs in the afternoon. On Day 2, I was lucky to find a comfy couch to sit on downstairs after most of the popular panels were over when it was about four or five at night.
No it isn't. It is however the same room as the cosplay fix up center.
Yeah I really really just wanted a place where I was allowed to talk to my friend in a calmer atmosphere where there were tables to work on stuff. I tried to ask the info desk if such a place existed, and they only told me about the bored room.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2013, 10:06:34 am »
Props to the crew running the AV boards in MAIN, especially during my little glitch firing up the first category of the AMV contest. (In case that was a 'con' for anybody here, I'll take the mea maxima culpa on that.)

The following may be a hotel issue, but I think the built-in projectors in MAIN are either 720x480 or maybe even 640x480.

The AMV event is drawing top-notch amateur video editing talent and we have already had some 1920x1080 60fps AMVs come in. This additional clarity is lost in the current infrastructure.

There may be nothing we can do about it, but in case some audience members were wondering why the visual resolution of AMVs was merely somewhat better than VHS tapes, well, technology marches on, and maybe we can get lucky and step up one of these days.

Again though, thanks to all the support from you guys in the back corner!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 10:08:12 am by Prinz Eugen »

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2013, 10:25:34 am »
Props to the crew running the AV boards in MAIN, especially during my little glitch firing up the first category of the AMV contest. (In case that was a 'con' for anybody here, I'll take the mea maxima culpa on that.)

The following may be a hotel issue, but I think the built-in projectors in MAIN are either 720x480 or maybe even 640x480.

The AMV event is drawing top-notch amateur video editing talent and we have already had some 1920x1080 60fps AMVs come in. This additional clarity is lost in the current infrastructure.

There may be nothing we can do about it, but in case some audience members were wondering why the visual resolution of AMVs was merely somewhat better than VHS tapes, well, technology marches on, and maybe we can get lucky and step up one of these days.

This is a fair point, especially with the technology of projectors being much less expensive than years ago.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline Yanagiba

• Cabbit
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2013, 11:01:21 am »

This is a fair point, especially with the technology of projectors being much less expensive than years ago.

A fair point indeed. It has been my intent to push for new projectors to be in the 2014 budget for a good year or so now. Of course, it wasn't for this particular reason that I had the investment in mind, but it is ultimately the same reason in the end. Video quality has changed drastically since the last time we got new projectors, so it's getting to be time that this is dealt with.
2011-2016  Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2010  Live Events Manager
2007  Assistant Tech Manager
2006  Programming Grunt
2005  Volunteer (practically staff)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2013, 11:40:54 am »
To be fair, Oxfest is a Washington festivity and Kcon is an Oregon event; techinically, we're intruding on their territory. If it's really such a problem, then maybe we should have Kcon a bit earlier so it doesn't clash with Oxfest - we have our space and they'll have theirs and we won't have to worry about stepping on anyone's toes.

Actually per to their web site they are a Oregon Washington event, put on by oxford houses which while mostly in OR and WA have a NW presence.  And the first time K-con was in Vancouver, there were either at a different venue or weren't invented yet, so I would say its open territory, it belongs to the city and power to them to host venues to make the local area money.

Offline Woodrat

• Cabbit
« Reply #94 on: September 07, 2013, 01:12:16 pm »

It was quite fine, and I thought it was one of the better panels I went too. Just was somewhat sad that when it seemed like the audience was getting engaged and we were all warmed up that our time ran out. Oh well, hopefully next year!

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #95 on: September 07, 2013, 09:04:19 pm »

Our projectors are not too bad at all, they are HD projectors capable of a really nice output. Their only downside is that they are not very bright.

Our visual quality issues stem from us still running an SD operation (480i resolution). All of us in Main Events Tech have been pushing to go HD, however it is a large hurdle (about $10k) to get there, causing it to be delayed year-after-year.

We're doing what we can to be ready for that jump (whenever it happens), but at the end of the day it all comes down to budget. I couldn't even get coax this year and rewired cable to each projector and camera twice due to cheap, old cable that has been damaged over the years.

I really hope next year we can go HD in Main Events (probably 1080i resolution), but we have to wait until budget season (usually in April).  ;)
--Chris ^_^

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #96 on: September 07, 2013, 09:41:25 pm »
5.) I really wish that Kumoricon was more friendly towards non-anime fans. Don't take this the wrong way, I still enjoy anime and Japanese culture, but I'm starting to outgrow it and I think it's a common trait in our generation. Over these three years of attending the con, I've seen people cosplaying video game characters, comic book characters and even Doctor Who and internet memes. I feel that it's probably time to start thinking of games and events that incorporate these genres and changing the rules for the cosplay contest so people with different interests feel more welcome. From my own experience, I worked really hard on my Lara Croft cosplay and I had thought about trying to get into the cosplay contest only to be given a half-answer (Because it wasn't Japan-related, it didn't apply to costume judging or a solo spot; but I was considered for a skit slot). I felt unwelcome and pushed aside simply because what I wore wasn't anime-related.
I've done "Mr. Monopoly" a few times as a spoof/joke costume, in that well, yes it IS a game character but most people don't expect it at an anime con. I only kept it on for short period of time, or in the context the Japanese-style commodity-trading panel I did, where the underlying theme was making money.

One possibility as you move on into new chapters of your own life is to start visiting other cons and other fandoms. Downstairs in dealers there were two 'steampunk' tables there and one of the guys quipped: "Steampunk is where anime fans go when they get old."

There is a new con in the area coalescing called Newcon, which seems to welcome a very broad spectrum of fandom (steampunk, SF, anime, even buckskinners, maybe?)

Orycon is another local con which bills itself as a regional SF con, and it *used* to have active costuming and media events up until about 15 years ago when the director level staff got hijacked by a cabal of "LIT-ruh-chuh" types who chased out most everything that wasn't about writing and publishing SF (yawn and yawn for me, though.) I did encounter some resistance there once my AMV overnighter became popular - they cut me off from their tech to try to 'clamp down on these crazy media fans' who (ugh) don't care about reading. So I know what it's like to be at a con where what you enjoy best is subtly not wanted here.

In this case the trick is to gather enough people around your interest to HAVE FUN ANYWAY in the middle of No True Scotsman types even if there are only 20 of you. It might be interesting if the Lara Crofts, and media-based fandom (web comics too?) the emerging English-language sort-of manga, etc. might rally at Orycon...

As your interests range beyond anime, why not look beyond Kumoricon?
There may be other regional events throughout the year where you can have cool fun,
and people who come to Kumoricon to enjoy anime and Asian culture will be able to enjoy that as a cultural concentration - undiluted by Twilight, Harry Potter, Dr. Who, Star Wars, and all that other stuff which would do great at other regional events.

tl;dr: Rather than wondering if a Japanese restaurant should include more Lebanese food, just go to the Lebanese restaurant on some other night.

You dressed as the Monoply guy? That sounds adorable! I wish I could've seen it, but I might've missed you.

I did see an advertisement for Orycon, but my understanding of if was it being all about sci-fi/fantasy - like Lovecraft stuff.
I do have a great time at Kumoricon every year; I love dressing up and seeing all the other costumes and taking pictures. This year was my first year to meet a voice actor and it was really exciting! I make it a point to try new things, but it's kind of hard to do when a lot of it is Anime - but there's been a breakthrough with some newer panels and games.

Planning photoshoots really helps; I ran one for Resident Evil this year and plan to run it again along with one for Deadly Premonition next year.  ;D

But I agree with you, sometimes you have to make your own fun - right?
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #97 on: September 07, 2013, 10:56:12 pm »

I sure wish more people had this attitude! I see so many people that are turned off from Kumoricon because they say no one talked to them or tried to be their friend.

If you want friends, get friends! Don't wait for them to come to you! And yes it's hard, which is probably why most other people don't do it. *booming voice* Take control of your destiny.

Homestly, while I think there are legitimate issues raised every year, I think a lot of complaints could easily be remedied if people took on this attitude. The con is the environment. What you do with the environment is up to you.

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #98 on: September 07, 2013, 11:09:26 pm »

I sure wish more people had this attitude! I see so many people that are turned off from Kumoricon because they say no one talked to them or tried to be their friend.

If you want friends, get friends! Don't wait for them to come to you! And yes it's hard, which is probably why most other people don't do it. *booming voice* Take control of your destiny.

Homestly, while I think there are legitimate issues raised every year, I think a lot of complaints could easily be remedied if people took on this attitude. The con is the environment. What you do with the environment is up to you.
Right, it's like going to a party - it's full of people and it can be overwhelming but just smiling and talking to people will really make everyone's day. I haven't made very many 'official' friends at the con, but I do like talking to people and sometimes I see them again the following year and we take the opportunity to catch up.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #99 on: September 07, 2013, 11:22:35 pm »
Really I only have 3 things I didn't like. One of which isn't a "con issue" but more of a time of year issue. That one is completely obvious..It's too hot..haha I had a lousy time, but it was mainly due to heat. even in the littlest of clothes, wearing a wig in that heat just makes you a human sweat box.

Number 2 would be the dealers. There were not as many good items as I thought there would be. I was really hoping for a wig dealer and was bummed to not see one. I mean, I know that only depends on if one WANTS to come, but yea..Kinda just sucked lol

The last one also has to do with the dealers hall. Me and another roomie of mine voiced this opinion to the other rommies we had but not to staff because we knew it wouldn't get us anywhere. Having a line to get into the dealers hall a whole hour after it opened was really odd and seemed like it didn't need to happen. Me and one of my roomies got there at about 10:50ish and we were prety far back in like. It was about 11:00 or later when we got in. Not a huge problem or anything, just something that I didn't expect at all, nor did I like.

I think making the dealers hall in a bigger area should fix that problem though. so next year that may be something to look into.