Author Topic: Cons about Kumoricon 2013 (and suggestions for next year)  (Read 74950 times)

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
Cons about Kumoricon 2013 (and suggestions for next year)
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:59:22 pm »
Even though there was a lot of good about con this year, there was also a lot that was not so great (I hope I wasn't the only one who thought this). Some disappointments, some mishaps, cancellations and misunderstandings. I'd like to know what didn't go so well this year, and what you think would make it better for next year.

A note: Let's make constructive criticism. Please

Here's my list:
1. Not being allowed into the Kumoricon Ball due to open-toed shoes. I read on the website that sandals, flip-flops, and sneakers were allowed if they were part of your cosplay, but I was kicked out of the line for wearing sandals (which was part of my character). I would like for the rules to be clear so that I know whether I should go to the ball instead of wasting half an hour in line.

2. A lot of the staff did not seem to know what was going on the first day, as far as will-call and pre-registration. I almost had to wait in that huge line even though I was pre-reg. I think that the staff should have more trainings in order to be fully prepared.

3. Many of the panels were not very interactive, which was disappointing. I would've liked to get up and say what I think everyone should be watching or what I know about baking. I think that should be something that panelists keep in mind for next year, because interactive panels (like anime court) are far more entertaining than a more lecture style of panel.

4. There was no fanboy/fangirl support group :( Come back next year!

Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline TheWillRogers

• Cabbit
    • The Blog of The Will Rogers
Re: Cons about Kumoricon 2013 (and suggestions for next year)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:04:57 pm »
Only thing i have to say is that it felt like the majority of the panels are shoe-horned into sunday, this has happened last year too, but to a lesser extent. Almost everyone i knew there only had 2 things on their monday schedule. Spreading out some of the major events would be awesome, then again if spread too thin it seems things can get a bit boring, hopefully since the con starts officially on friday next year, this will mean a lot more content and panels, and allow for them to be spread out a touch.

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 05:33:05 pm »
Overall I thought this con was a great one! One of my absolute favorites, honestly. There were only a couple little things that I noticed.

1) Lack of communication. I was in line for a particular panel that was a very popular one. This being the case, we had a very long line, and there was a lot of chaos it seemed like. We had one staff member telling us to loop the line around, so we had a kind of zig-zag shape instead of one long line. However, at the same time there was another staff member yelling at us, telling us that that wasn't the line for the panel, but the one next to us was. Just a lack of communication, although I will admit that it did seem to improve over time.

2) I feel like the rule about lining up no more than 30 minutes before a panel or event wasn't enforced very well. I realize many of the panels I attended were popular ones and main events (such as Todd Haberkorn panels and ceremonies, etc), but I would leave my hotel room maybe five minutes before we were supposed to start lining up, and by the time I arrived at wherever the event was scheduled, often two minutes before line up time if that, there was already a line so long that I doubted I would get in.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, other than little things like not being able to go to the ball because I wasn't able to get a ticket. I'm hoping that since next year will be 4 days, maybe there will be 2 balls?

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 06:01:12 pm »
There were some major things that disturbed me at con this year. I still enjoyed myself for the most part since I met a few new friends that I hope will be life long friends, but some of these things were a huge outrage.

First of all, on day 3 when I went back to my car, I had found that someone was doing donuts in the dirt lot. Not only did they come within a couple feet of hitting my car, but they scratched/chipped my paint and chipped my windshield. They had flung so much dirt up in the air that it even covered the back hatch of my car and filled the vents with dirt so if I ever need to turn my fan on it keeps spitting out dust and chunks of dirt. I know one could make the argument that the dirt lot wasn't meant for parking in anyway, but this is flat out vandalism, which didn't only happen to my vehicle since there were at least 4 other vehicles still parked there besides my own. The police will be notified and if the lot gets blocked off or a sign posted because of it that will suck, but I now have to pay for repairs and the law should be informed as to what happened.

Second, there was a female and a male staffer that approached a group of my friends and I while talking to the sword guy that, while I am grateful they were coming to inform us of some people maliciously throwing water at con-goers and running off. This is considered assault. When the sword guy asked if there were any right to defend yourself laws, the female replied that you only have the right to defend yourself in your own home. THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE AND AN OUTRAGE THAT A STAFFER THAT DOESN'T KNOW THE LAW IS GIVING LEGAL ADVISE.

Luckily the other cons that stick out in my mind right now are minor ones. The third is that the league of legends tournament needed many more computers and much more space. My understanding is that this will most likely be fixed next year, so yay. I am happy that there was such a turnout for the tournament but unfortunately that also meant the bracket takes forever to go through with only one match at a time and over 110 players signed up not including substitutions.

Fourth is that there was only one slightly anime dating game. This is one of the main events I love coming to the convnetion for. On their Facebook it was indicated that they may be kind of getting tired of doing the dating game so I understand only doing one this year, but it was still a disappointment.

Fifth: I didn't find as many of the panels that interesting this year, which ended up being a good thing for me since I ended up trying to go to so many photoshoots, do some gaming, and hang out with friends just to try something new. I love going to panels, though.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline TheWillRogers

• Cabbit
    • The Blog of The Will Rogers
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2013, 07:06:16 pm »
There were some major things that disturbed me at con this year. I still enjoyed myself for the most part since I met a few new friends that I hope will be life long friends, but some of these things were a huge outrage.

First of all, on day 3 when I went back to my car, I had found that someone was doing donuts in the dirt lot. Not only did they come within a couple feet of hitting my car, but they scratched/chipped my paint and chipped my windshield. They had flung so much dirt up in the air that it even covered the back hatch of my car and filled the vents with dirt so if I ever need to turn my fan on it keeps spitting out dust and chunks of dirt. I know one could make the argument that the dirt lot wasn't meant for parking in anyway, but this is flat out vandalism, which didn't only happen to my vehicle since there were at least 4 other vehicles still parked there besides my own. The police will be notified and if the lot gets blocked off or a sign posted because of it that will suck, but I now have to pay for repairs and the law should be informed as to what happened.

Day 3 had a lot of people in the area do to the memorial day celebrations, that's when all the jocks and pricks come to the parks to harass people. that sucks that someone was vandalizing your vehical, you should have called the police at that exact moment.

Second, there was a female and a male staffer that approached a group of my friends and I while talking to the sword guy that, while I am grateful they were coming to inform us of some people maliciously throwing water at con-goers and running off. This is considered assault. When the sword guy asked if there were any right to defend yourself laws, the female replied that you only have the right to defend yourself in your own home. THIS IS COMPLETELY FALSE AND AN OUTRAGE THAT A STAFFER THAT DOESN'T KNOW THE LAW IS GIVING LEGAL ADVISE.

The people throwing water at congoers were these two little boys(7 and 8) i grabbed one by the hand right after i saw him do it and told him to knock it off, he swore at me and his mother got upset, whatever, i was in an iron man costume. As to being outraged that a staffer gave legal advice... that's not legal advice, that's one person telling another not to retaliate against a child. The way you defend yourself from a water bottle is to pull up a plastic shield,

Fifth: I didn't find as many of the panels that interesting this year, which ended up being a good thing for me since I ended up trying to go to so many photoshoots, do some gaming, and hang out with friends just to try something new. I love going to panels, though.

super duper agree.

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 07:29:11 pm »
I felt that the dealers hall was really lacking this year. Especially in the figure department. I thought a lot of the boths had the same things.
Maybe it could be moved to one of the rooms upstairs or somewhere in the hilton that has more space, is easier to get to and could hold more booths.

Also the glomp circle this year seemed more out of control than normal, or maybe it's just that I can't stand the glomp circle. while my friend and I were walking to the Hilton someone decided to yell "glomp princess celestia and princess cadence" and the whole lot of them started running at us in our FRAGILE costumes and would have broken our costumes if I hadn't put my hand out and yelled no repeatedly. It'd be nice if a staffer could stand out there and make sure they don't do anything dumb or potentially dangerous to those around them.

Other than that it was a wonderful convention! (:
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 08:30:21 pm »
I always have a blast at the convention. I don't spend as much time as a lot of people with the events and panels and stuff, so maybe I miss a lot of the annoyances that other people experience.

But I did have a suggestion or maybe a question.

I have noticed a lot of the panels are fan driven. Which is totally awesome. I love and appreciate everyone that spends their time, effort, and even money into putting on a panel for the rest of us.

Which brings me te... I've noticed sometimes that the panels can be a little disjointed. Particularly when you start to involve technology. Staring at someone's desktop while they search around for a file that they misplaced can kill the momentum of a great panel!

Has anyone with panel experience ever considered putting together a list of DOs and DON'Ts for hosting a panel? Sort of like helpful guidelines on how to handle different types of media, how to present your topic, segueing between topics, etc. Maybe even some videos of panels that are considered well thought out and constructed.

I think it would improve the experience for everyone involved.

Anyway, that's just my two nickels. Thanks again to everyone that helps put together an awesome con! :)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 08:32:45 pm by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline PaladinCecil79

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:20:11 pm »
Here are a few things I wanted to bring up:

First, I had an issue with a vendor in the dealer room. On Saturday, I purchased three t-shirts, which totaled $66. I've been attending anime conventions for ten years and for a long time, have been very careful about remembering to put what I buy in my carrying bag afterwards, but this was the first time that I had forgotten to do it. After the purchase, I was given some change that I had put in my wallet and right when I had done it, I believed that I had already put the shirts in the bag. Afterwards, I went back to my room to take a picture of them when I realized that they weren't in there and the dealer room had already closed.
So I went back the next morning and explained the situation. At first, the guy I talked to (who I think was the head vendor) asked another employee from that booth if I had made purchases there the day before and he said I had. But despite that, he told me that I couldn't have the t-shirts or my money back, claiming that once you make a purchase, what you do is your responsibility. I do agree that when you buy something, you need to be responsible and I can understand any vendor not wanting to have anything stolen. But because what I did is easy to do and that the employee he talked to said that I had purchased them, he should've just believed both me and other other vendor. I don't know what kind of rules and restrictions there are for vendors or how much independence they have (I do remember a staffer say that a lot of things that happen in the room are the merchants decisions), but I feel like this is something that no customer should have to experience. If it'll help, the booth this happened at was near the registration desks and on the same side.

Second, I had some trouble with a panelist on Monday. It was at the Shakespeare's Voice panel that morning. When I went in, I sat down and was listening in on the discussion. Things were going okay for a while, but later on, something just came into my mind that I started laughing over. I wasn't in any trying to cause a distraction, I had just had a thought that cracked me up. I hadn't been laughing for very long when the panelist told me to stop the said that I should leave the room if I'm not going to pay any attention to the panel.
I really thought she was being insensitive because although I wasn't laughing extremely loud, if you have a voice that carries like mine, sometimes you sound louder than you intend to be without noticing.
And I can understand that panelists want people who are in the room to be there for the panel, but whenever someone shows up, you can't just assume they aren't there for it if you don't know and telling them they must leave if they aren't is just rude and disrespectful. All she had to do was politely ask me to stop laughing, explaining that it was a distraction and that would've been enough. I'm not a troublemaker in any way and I never do anything that's intended to make things difficult for other people.
I did bring this incident up to the con staff and I think the girl who ran the panel did an overall great job, but if she's going to continue doing this kind of work, this is something she has to learn that that is something you can't do, unless the person is acting that way continually.

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2013, 09:26:27 pm »
I always have a blast at the convention. I don't spend as much time as a lot of people with the events and panels and stuff, so maybe I miss a lot of the annoyances that other people experience.

But I did have a suggestion or maybe a question.

I have noticed a lot of the panels are fan driven. Which is totally awesome. I love and appreciate everyone that spends their time, effort, and even money into putting on a panel for the rest of us.

Which brings me te... I've noticed sometimes that the panels can be a little disjointed. Particularly when you start to involve technology. Staring at someone's desktop while they search around for a file that they misplaced can kill the momentum of a great panel!

Has anyone with panel experience ever considered putting together a list of DOs and DON'Ts for hosting a panel? Sort of like helpful guidelines on how to handle different types of media, how to present your topic, segueing between topics, etc. Maybe even some videos of panels that are considered well thought out and constructed.

I think it would improve the experience for everyone involved.

Anyway, that's just my two nickels. Thanks again to everyone that helps put together an awesome con! :)

Reppy, I was actually thinking about this just today! I've had some fun ideas for panels in the past, but I've never hosted a panel myself. I was almost wondering if it might be interest/a good idea to offer a panel on how to do a good panel. Would that be silly?

I've noticed a few people have stated that they didn't find many panels they were interested in going to this year. Perhaps a panel on ideas and suggestions on how to run a good panel might encourage more people to submit their ideas for panels in the future?

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:28 pm »
Reppy, I was actually thinking about this just today! I've had some fun ideas for panels in the past, but I've never hosted a panel myself. I was almost wondering if it might be interest/a good idea to offer a panel on how to do a good panel. Would that be silly?

I've noticed a few people have stated that they didn't find many panels they were interested in going to this year. Perhaps a panel on ideas and suggestions on how to run a good panel might encourage more people to submit their ideas for panels in the future?

I think it's a great idea! I'm positive there are loads of people that could make fun panels but they're intimidated by the entire process.

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2013, 10:54:50 pm »
I would love a how to host panel especially I had problem and struggled with the dead air pause and timing .  Even with my problem I got good reviews.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:20:18 pm by acton »

Offline VampireFangs103

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2013, 11:09:09 pm »

I think it's a great idea! I'm positive there are loads of people that could make fun panels but they're intimidated by the entire process.

[/size]I would love a how to host panel especially I had problem and struggled with the dead air pause and timing .  Even with my problem I got good reviews. [size=78%]

Yeah! I've personally thought of a few fun ideas for panels, but honestly wouldn't even know where to start. I don't know the entire process, or how to set up and work with equipment (or even if I'd be the one doing any of that!) I also think a panel like this wouldn't only teach people how to run a good panel, but also give them somewhere to discuss possible ideas for panels and maybe work together during following years.

Of course, a panel like that would have to be done by people who have done panels before and are confident in doing so, with lots of advice and suggestions to give ^^; People who know the process well (obviously not like myself XD)

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 11:17:25 pm »

Day 3 had a lot of people in the area do to the memorial day celebrations, that's when all the jocks and pricks come to the parks to harass people. that sucks that someone was vandalizing your vehical, you should have called the police at that exact moment.

The people throwing water at congoers were these two little boys(7 and 8) i grabbed one by the hand right after i saw him do it and told him to knock it off, he swore at me and his mother got upset, whatever, i was in an iron man costume. As to being outraged that a staffer gave legal advice... that's not legal advice, that's one person telling another not to retaliate against a child. The way you defend yourself from a water bottle is to pull up a plastic shield,

super duper agree.
I don't care who it was whether it was a con-goer or one of these jocks. I did try to call the police, but 911 is only for emergencies and the non-emergency number was closed because it was so late. I also had my friend notify the hotel despite it not being part of their jurisdiction.

The staffer described them as a group of teens doing it maliciously. That doesn't mean stand there and take it and like it. When someone says "Legally you can only defend yourself in your own home in the state of Washington" (which is a complete lie), yes, it is legal advise and I think it's funny that you say not to retaliate against a child when that's exactly what you did, though it was a very appropriate retaliation.
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2013, 11:25:10 pm »
So, I actually had issues in the dealers hall too. The guy sold me a mystery bag told me everything in it was anime and it wasn't. There was a Raiders T-shirt of all things. Like seriously? Sakura-con would NEVER let that stuff happen to a con-goer.

The second thing I had issues with was with the Yaoi panel saying it was "the lighter side of yaoi" and then it turned out to be non-consensual stuff... which wasn't light at all. Next year though they promise to warn for non-con.

I felt there was so much good stuff on Sunday, some good stuff Saturday, and nearly NOTHING on Monday.

I really loved Jason Thompson though... all his panels were wonderful. As well as the woman who did the Making Manga panel. Though she had technical issues and it took a while to get it started.

I loved that there was water everywhere around con. :)

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2013, 09:23:43 am »

Yeah! I've personally thought of a few fun ideas for panels, but honestly wouldn't even know where to start. I don't know the entire process, or how to set up and work with equipment (or even if I'd be the one doing any of that!) I also think a panel like this wouldn't only teach people how to run a good panel, but also give them somewhere to discuss possible ideas for panels and maybe work together during following years.

Of course, a panel like that would have to be done by people who have done panels before and are confident in doing so, with lots of advice and suggestions to give ^^; People who know the process well (obviously not like myself XD)

Fake it till you make it!  8)

Offline DSaturn

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 09:53:13 am »
For the bigger events, my group didn't really have any trouble with the 30min line rule because even those times when people didn't listen, they simply conga-ed the line to the back of everyone who did follow the rules, BUT we did have a major issue with the line for Cosplay Contest.

Staff at the info booth inside were telling people who asked that the line outside that had formed 10min early to the 30min rule was the line to the Contest and (at least the way it was worded) that it was being allowed. When it finally hit the 30min mark to seating, my group got in line and staff decided to come out then and try to shoo the line away, saying that we couldn't line up until 30min before the event and that seating didn't count. We were halfway through the short line there and after about 10 people in front of us, staff didn't shoo the people at the front away, but kept sending the people in the back away and there was just a ton of confusion with going back and forth with whether or not seating counted for the 30min.

This wouldn't have been so bad, because confusion happens even among staff, but some of the staff (I have a specific person in mind) were extremely rude about it, wouldn't listen to the questions about seating counting, and was overheard telling someone "I get to yell at people, YAY!" A member of my group felt like this person was serious when they said that, while I took it as sarcasm, but either way it's not something any of us wanted to hear of a staff member who then proceeded to yell at people without listening/answering questions.

Speaking of the Cosplay Contest, OMG, no offensive to any of the people who did these skits, but it was so bad that everyone except one person from my group left before they were over, and we noticed a ton of other people leaving too. I heard that the last three were the best, but with what I saw before I left, that means very little. I don't like leaving early, and can almost sit through anything, but it just got extremely boring and annoying. I was getting a headache, miserable, and falling asleep. I know there is issue with finding enough people who want to do skits to fill enough time to make it worth it, but there really should be some sort of standards set for the skits.
Kumoricon 2013 The Phoenix Down Slackers will be cosplaying:

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 10:02:02 am »
About the Kumori Ball footwear issue - I'm not one of the coordinators, but I was a host and I happened to be in the Programming room while a discussion of that rule was going on. If I'm getting any of this wrong, somebody more in the know about things, please correct me!

As far as I can tell, the problem was a miscommunication between the people in charge of the panel, and the staff making the rules signs. The panelists are experienced ballroom dancers, and they know the hazards involved in partnered dancing.

You might not think it, since ballroom dancing looks so light and floaty; but actually, a severely overcrowded ballroom with lots of people dancing close together (partnered or otherwise) is a very easy place to get seriously injured if your toes aren't protected. And the KumoriBall, thanks to its popularity, gets extremely crowded. If you dance barefoot or in open-toed shoes, one wrong step from your partner or the person next to you can slam their shoe down on your exposed feet and cause injuries up to and including broken toes. So it's really important to choose footwear that can absorb the shock if your foot gets stepped on.

Unfortunately, there seems to have been a miscommunication about this problem. Staff members with less dancing experience understandably thought that it was just a fashion issue, so the rules sign was printed to say there were exceptions to the shoe rule in the case of certain cosplays.

Of course, since the actual panelists didn't want anyone's Kumoricon memories to include smashed toenails or broken bones, they explained the problem up in Programming as soon as they heard what was going on, and the people at the ballroom door were told to enforce the safety rule. Everybody involved seemed genuinely sorry about the mixed information that attendees were getting. It truly is a matter of safety, though - nobody was trying to be super fussy about what kind of shoes you like, they just didn't want people to get hurt.

A good general rule of thumb for future attendees and door staff (again, people who know more than me, please correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be: Worry about the dress code from the ankles up, but wear something safe from the ankles down. In a pinch, it's better to combine a gorgeous ballgown and sturdy tennis shoes than find yourself limping home.  :)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 10:11:12 am »

3. Many of the panels were not very interactive, which was disappointing. I would've liked to get up and say what I think everyone should be watching or what I know about baking. I think that should be something that panelists keep in mind for next year, because interactive panels (like anime court) are far more entertaining than a more lecture style of panel.

Not trying to discredit what you're saying, but all three of the panels that I helped run were interactive by design.  I do know that some need to work on that, but not all of them have that problem.

This goes to TheWillRogers, too.  If you didn't find interest in the panels, you can sign up for some this upcoming year.  With an extra day coming, we will have more panels, and therefore more variety, if people make submissions.

I hadn't been laughing for very long when the panelist told me to stop the said that I should leave the room if I'm not going to pay any attention to the panel.

That sounds ridiculous.  It's not like you were heckling the panel, or anything.  It sounds like someone needs to pull their stick out before they rupture something.

So, I actually had issues in the dealers hall too. The guy sold me a mystery bag told me everything in it was anime and it wasn't. There was a Raiders T-shirt of all things. Like seriously? Sakura-con would NEVER let that stuff happen to a con-goer. The second thing I had issues with was with the Yaoi panel saying it was "the lighter side of yaoi" and then it turned out to be non-consensual stuff... which wasn't light at all. Next year though they promise to warn for non-con.

As for the first thing, I would have thrown it in his face and demanded to know how that vile piece of crap is considered anime.  Then I would have gone to Relations; hopefully they would have made sure that the booth wouldn't make a return to Kumoricon (I know that'd be the case if I were head of that department).

As for the second, I'd report that to the Programming department.  Unless my understanding of YAOI is weaker than I thought, non-consensual=rape.  That type of thing shouldn't be shown in a panel, whether it's rated "Mature" or not.

Speaking of the Cosplay Contest, OMG, no offensive to any of the people who did these skits, but it was so bad that everyone except one person from my group left before they were over, and we noticed a ton of other people leaving too. I heard that the last three were the best, but with what I saw before I left, that means very little. I don't like leaving early, and can almost sit through anything, but it just got extremely boring and annoying. I was getting a headache, miserable, and falling asleep. I know there is issue with finding enough people who want to do skits to fill enough time to make it worth it, but there really should be some sort of standards set for the skits.

Speaking as someone who used to do skits, there are usually duds.  Part of this is because they were thrown together last minute.  Another is that some are new to the stage and are trying it out, the acting, the writing, etc.  I personally think that another piece is that some skits focus on a series that many might not be familiar with.  Thanks to this concept, I usually favor those that are done in a way that assume nobody knows the series but are still funny.  I didn't watch it at all this year on account of my job and panels, but I wouldn't be surprised if these were the primary parts of the problem.

Finally, regarding the idea of a "How To Panel" panel, though this is a good idea, it should be done by those that have had lots of experience and can share their successes and failures.  I could contribute to this, if someone wants me to join them.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 10:15:53 am »
So, I actually had issues in the dealers hall too. The guy sold me a mystery bag told me everything in it was anime and it wasn't. There was a Raiders T-shirt of all things. Like seriously? Sakura-con would NEVER let that stuff happen to a con-goer.

the really sad thing about this nothings changed, gross like it could have been prevented., exact thing happened to my brother last year, was probably the same vendor, and I posted about it last year, guy lied to our face about the contents, were not anime related.  In my opinion if the merch isn't stuff they would sell at their table space it shouldn't be in a grab bag.  Last year I even emailed  the company was askedto elaborate what happened, then never heard back. 
and after that how can you trust a grab bag from any vendor?
also was it just me or were vendors names tags not as easy to see this year? Might have been just me
Staff in lobby who prevented over stuffing the Hilton elevators = awesome, attendees I saw were dining a great job not stuffing elevators, avg following the rules
But then on 3rd floor when I was in a filled elevator the doors open we inside were "sorry its filled no one is getting off" but then a group of 5 staff shove their way in, dating "oh its okay we are getting of on the next floor"
They are staff, and should know better and every staff should lead by example
Cuz sadly after that to those 8 people who were in the elevator, after waiting for their turn patiently?
it may not seem like much, but that group of staff made kumoricon staff (who are mostly hard working sleep deprived and helpful) into a joke
what's the elevator limit?
Its 8 people, unless your staff :(
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 12:44:03 pm »
Accessibility at this location has always been a major problem, especially at the Red Lion. If we really have as much pull at these hotels as I've been told, we seriously need to lean on them to install automatic doors. There's no excuse for a door to be marked handicap accessible and yet have to be yanked open and a walker or wheelchair wedged into the doorway in the limited time before the door closes. I don't think that's even legal to mark a door as such if it isn't automatic. It's certainly unethical either way.
On that note, in the Hilton, while I was given an elevator pass due to my walker, an almost completely blind pal of mine, guide dog and everything, was denied entrance to the ADA elevator despite having the designated sticker. While this was apparently the action of one security person and was cleared up after she spoke with Ops, once is still too much.

And as regarding the open-toed shoes issue, I don't think anybody opposes the rule itself. I think the vast majority of people understand the rationale for it. It's the lack of previous notice about it as well as the wishy-washy language. People were being told to go to Fred Meyer to get shoes--no one is going to leave the hotel and drive around to buy new shoes when they packed shoes they were told in advance would be acceptable! Especially people who come from some distance and don't know the area. Being told one thing, then another, and then to go buy shoes as if such a thing is no big deal (a lot of people don't bring a lot of money to the con, you know) is unacceptable. To say nothing of the guy in monk's robes who was told that his outfit wasn't formal enough. I mean, admittedly I thought he was a highlander from the plaid, but even that would be formal enough for a ball.

And a complete lack of a video game vendor was nothing short of shocking. Dedicated DVD sales were also in high demand with nothing to fill it. I know a few vendors had a couple of DVDs but nothing was devoted to them.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 12:55:24 pm by BlackjackGabbiani »

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 01:30:16 pm »
I found the vendor's kind of lackluster this year. They were selling a lot of the same thing, one of my friends said she found no DVDs for sale (which I always see as a hard thing to sell at cons anyway), but even the figures and shadow boxes I felt there was a limited selection. There was a lot of Madoka and Fate/Stay Night.

They also needed more AC vents and stuff, especially going toward the middle of the aisles and aiming back toward the Artist's Alley. The farthest back end of the Alley was the hottest and muggiest, and while it wasn't unbearable for 10-15 minutes, the people in the booth's didn't enjoy it.

I enjoy the tech people at the Cosplay Contest, but they should schedule time ahead of the Contest to make sure the cues and the boards are working. That way the audience isn't waiting a large amount of time before the show actually starts.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 02:08:58 pm »
Being one of the artists that was located in the very back of artist alley, it was absolutely horrible. I was told that they were going to be moving fans and AC units around, which NEVER happened. We should not have to bring our own fans. One of the people at my booth got sick from the heat, and couldn't be at the table the full 8 hours. This NEEDS to get fixed, it's pretty much a health issue that a business could get sued for, since we're forced to run these tables, and we get no refund.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 03:03:43 pm »
If you go to a panel that's mostly a lecture with the occasional bit of topical audience/presenter banter about the subject at hand, one of the rudest things you can do is interrupt the panelist while they're starting a new slide and/or introducing a new concept/part of the panel and say "No, you're wrong. That's wrong." and then continue to just say "No, you're wrong." when the panelist asks why you think that. It wastes everyone's time.

If you think the panelist is incorrect on a point or pronouncing something incorrectly or something, by all means bring it up. But don't word it like that, it's really goddamn rude.

Seriously. I had a dude in one of my panels just shout out "No, that's wrong." while I was presenting and when I said "Are you sure? When I watched it I heard _____, and the subtitles said _____" and he just continued to say that I was wrong until I just ignored him and moved on. Honestly, I should have just told him where the door was in case he had forgotten :\

Also, mental illness is not a joke. It's not cute or funny to make fun of someone by saying "Oh, you're so OCD" and unfunny 'jokes' like that definitely should not be presented as awards by con staff.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 03:37:04 pm »
Being one of the artists that was located in the very back of artist alley, it was absolutely horrible. I was told that they were going to be moving fans and AC units around, which NEVER happened. We should not have to bring our own fans. One of the people at my booth got sick from the heat, and couldn't be at the table the full 8 hours. This NEEDS to get fixed, it's pretty much a health issue that a business could get sued for, since we're forced to run these tables, and we get no refund.
https://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=18195.0
here is the link to the "official" artist alley rant n rave, they have made it pretty clear by locking the 2 other threads about AA (one about people who did or did not get in, which was weird as it wasn't a rant n rave thread and one opinions thread) that they want all the AA rants n raves in this thread so they can "moderate and keep things under control versus an actual staff-initiated and controlled thread"
But yeah I def agree and sympathize with you as the area AA was in felt like an after thought.  I was talking to a vendor who was near one of the big fans and asked him how it was and he wasn't comfy, but making sales so didn't really care too much.  This was a healthy male adult.
I hate to think people with health issue felt like, at least for most of the con I never had trouble finding water, except one epic fail time.

Only time I had trouble was when seating for cosplay I had a seat but after line I really had to pee and drink water, lady at door told me no leaving until everyone was seated but its amazing how "I am pregnant and I have to pee" will change things  ;D
After leaving bathroom I went to a water station empty...another empty, the jug station looked like it might have a little but no cups, another station empty, I started checking panel rooms but was told by staff no water in them and pointed to a empty water station which I replied was empty, they said to order water, but I wasn't staff (but have been before so easy mistake) and they went to order water. 

The ultimate fail was I made it back to cosplay (still seating) and inside I saw a pile of clean cups !  I could take it to that jug I saw with a tiny bit of water and fill it!  Made my way back out (not easy with seating I apoligize for any inconvience but I was manically in need of water at this point) and the FREAKING JUG WAS GONE when finally had clean cups...
I was so defeated that I didn't think about the water fountains until I sat down, then I sent my husband with the cups to the fountain and once seating had finished my brother went to get bottled drinks at that stand outside of main events tho the line was big.

I didn't hear about the stickers for ADA until right cosplay contest, it would have been nice to know as I was also told that pregnancy counted as ADA, tho I didn't have a problem asked and getting special help after explaining about my situation, but it would have expediated the process and saved time, tho I prob wouldn't have used it much as I was okay most of the time, but one in dealers hall my feet seemed to suddenly swell and the elevator out was a left saver.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 03:38:03 pm by superjaz »

Offline Woodrat

• Cabbit
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 04:08:00 pm »
 Overall I had a positive experience, but there were a few things that got me.
--
- The Artist Alley and Vendors being in the parking garage meant that they did have more room, which was great, considering last year and how cramped and crowded both were over in the Red Lion. It did run into the issue that I think was brought up last year, in which that it did get hot and muggy despite the air conditioning and was very dimly lit, especially in the artist alley. This was particularly noticeable in the Artist Alley part, where there seemed to be only two or so AC units spread about its entire section and maybe one fan? Up until about halfway through the vendors section it seemed to stay cool, but it was noticeable that the Artist Alley part was much hotter and muggier. Major kudos to those artists that stuck through that.

- The placement of the Artist Alley right behind the Vendors also seemed to be, oddly choiced. As noted by someone above, one had to go through the Vendors section in order to get to Artist Alley. The map for the Hilton Parking Garage shows the Vendors area to be comprised of the western part of the garage while the Artists were to be on the eastern. This seems like it would’ve been more ideal (and would more evenly divide the AC) rather than having the artists tucked or rather, shoved into the back.

I found the vendor's kind of lackluster this year. They were selling a lot of the same thing, one of my friends said she found no DVDs for sale (which I always see as a hard thing to sell at cons anyway), but even the figures and shadow boxes I felt there was a limited selection. There was a lot of Madoka and Fate/Stay Night.
I had a couple friends which mentioned the same thing. It seemed like selection on all accounts for both vendors and artists were down. Last year, my wallet kept trying to jump out of my pocket in order to buy things, this year not so much. What was the total number of vendors and artists compared to last year? It just seemed like there was not that much variety at all.

So, I actually had issues in the dealers hall too. The guy sold me a mystery bag told me everything in it was anime and it wasn't. There was a Raiders T-shirt of all things.
I’m pretty sure you were not the only person that had that issue, as a friend of one of my friends had the exact same issue with the exact same bloody t-shirt, a mystery bag with a Raiders T-shirt that they didn’t want. Recalling the thread from last year, I’m pretty sure a similar thing happened with mystery bags with non anime things being shoved in those bags and posed as an anime mystery bag. Really this reflects poorly on the con as a whole and ought to be dealt by the staff in some way.

--
-This was my first year attempting to volunteer, and to be perfectly honest I’m extremely hesitant to do it again as I found the experience horrible despite sticking with it for a few hours. It might have been a fluke and perhaps I had volunteered at the wrong time. At the volunteer desk they noted they did not need any further volunteers at the parking garage so they told me to head upstairs to operations for assignment. Went to operations, where they decided to put me in the parking garage to help with the lines. Head back down into the parking garage, where the people there did not know what to do with me and suggested that I go back up to operations.

In regards to the staff I think that overall they did an outstanding job and I wish to thank them for their dedication in making this convention possible. I do think that there was an issue in communications between different staff though. Throughout my entire experience volunteering I found myself being bounced around by staff that did not know what to do with me and repeatedly told to either go to operations by yojimbos and other staff or as I was told by operations to attempt to assist or give breaks to yojimbos (who when I could find some that were not already on a break of some sort, would then tell me they were okay and to go back to operations for further placement). Really felt like I was stuck in some odd frustrating loop.

--
- Panels, the variety of panels on Saturday seemed to be lackluster; especially considering many of the panels I was interested in going to seemed to be crammed onto Sunday. Monday only had a single panel I was interested in. There was also some, technical issues with a few of the panels I went to, one panel that I went to the person hosting it was running about five minutes late, only to find that the room that the panel was supposed to be hosted in was locked, which caused more delays while everyone waited several minutes for the room to be unlocked. A different panel that was running later in the evening did not have the microphone that the host had requested for until about a quarter to halfway through the panel. There was also a couple panels that I recalled from last year would be super popular, and yet they were crammed into rooms that seemed smaller than the ones they were provided with last year, so I doubted I’d be able to get in and did not even bother trying.

--
- Gaming in the Red Lion. I think someone else noted it. But with that many computers and other electronic devices in one enclosed room, it got hot. Especially in the back corner with the computers up against the wall, that had to be several degrees hotter than the rest of the room.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 04:31:12 pm »
Oh yeah, and the artist who thought it would be funny to sell sparkly "misandry" pins, trying to justify it by saying "misandry doesn't exist". While it isn't as big as misogyny, it's very real and causes real problems and to make a joke out of it is disgusting. I don't need that kind of ignorance in an anime con.

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 05:21:09 pm »
Also, mental illness is not a joke. It's not cute or funny to make fun of someone by saying "Oh, you're so OCD" and unfunny 'jokes' like that definitely should not be presented as awards by con staff.

I wanted to go up to that con staff person and give them a piece of my mind, because I found the "jokes" to be tasteless and unfunny. However, I didn't do it for several reasons (the Durarara Photo Shoot and not wanting to be ejected from the convention, were the main reasons I kept my mouth shut.).
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 06:06:13 pm »
Overall, this was a wonderful con.

However I found that the number of interesting panels was a tad bit...lacking this year. Since it's going to be a four day convention next year may i recommend more panel variety for next year?
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 06:23:36 pm »

I wanted to go up to that con staff person and give them a piece of my mind, because I found the "jokes" to be tasteless and unfunny. However, I didn't do it for several reasons (the Durarara Photo Shoot and not wanting to be ejected from the convention, were the main reasons I kept my mouth shut.).

I don't see how that would get you ejected from the con. Like...I can't think of any reason that telling them that something is offensive could possibly get you kicked out.

Offline JaegerDarkness

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 06:39:12 pm »

I don't see how that would get you ejected from the con. Like...I can't think of any reason that telling them that something is offensive could possibly get you kicked out.

I can think of some reasons;
1. Disrupting the awards portion of the cosplay contest. (I thought about doing that.)
2. Cussing like a sailor.
3. Carrying on, so the Yojimbo had to get involved.
4. Getting physical with the Yojimbo.

Luckily, for me and everyone else, at the cosplay contest, I didn't lose my marbles.
~~Formerly Otaku_24~~

K-con '22 Cosplays
FOR SURE: Kirito, Tanjiro Kamado, & Genderbent Mori Calliope*
MAYBE: Who knows

*Please don’t call me Calvin, I prefer Morichi.

MEMBER OF CHAIR ARMY!
Please join my party!
In the Survey Corps
Deku x Uraraka

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2013, 06:52:31 pm »
You could still do it afterwards. Obviously circumstance matters; you don't want to storm the stage, but approaching them in private is still doable.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 07:11:50 pm »
Upon looking at the map, I'd like to point out that perhaps the Registration in the garage was too big. Another note, is a lot of people seemed to fall in the last named category of R-Z and, at least on Day 0, there was only one person handling this line while the other person would run to grab the badge. The line either needs to be divided in half, or more people. Apparently, those in the line including the letter A had like 3 or 4 people working it on Day 0.

Also, the locations of the AA and the DH didn't seem accurate to the map, since the AA was shoved into the farthest back area. The location of Whose Line and Slightly Anime Dating Games seemed pretty small, so I didn't even bother to attend. Why were these not put into Discovery A/B or Heritage E or F?

I also didn't know where the Viewing Rooms until I stumbled down the hall to them. They could use a larger sign, but the rooms seemed fine in terms of size.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 07:52:08 pm »

If you go to a panel that's mostly a lecture with the occasional bit of topical audience/presenter banter about the subject at hand, one of the rudest things you can do is interrupt the panelist while they're starting a new slide and/or introducing a new concept/part of the panel and say "No, you're wrong. That's wrong." and then continue to just say "No, you're wrong." when the panelist asks why you think that. It wastes everyone's time.

If you think the panelist is incorrect on a point or pronouncing something incorrectly or something, by all means bring it up. But don't word it like that, it's really goddamn rude.

I hate having this happen, whether it's because someone wants to correct me (which does happen at times) or if they want to contribute to my jokes during my stand-up routine.  We have a time for the audience to speak; people need to use those times to speak, and the rest to listen and laugh, or whatever is applicable to the other panels.

Oh yeah, and the artist who thought it would be funny to sell sparkly "misandry" pins, trying to justify it by saying "misandry doesn't exist". While it isn't as big as misogyny, it's very real and causes real problems and to make a joke out of it is disgusting. I don't need that kind of ignorance in an anime con.

Again...

Depending on how they're done, OCD jokes can be funny.  However, the majority of them are rather tasteless and ill-placed.  I've had co-workers tell me that I was OCD because I insisted that various items be placed in their proper location so that others could find them easier.  With some of them, yes, it was kind of a joke, but some of them were taking offense to my pursuit to getting things done right and safely.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline hexdef6

• Oni
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2013, 09:00:17 pm »
A good general rule of thumb for future attendees and door staff (again, people who know more than me, please correct me if I'm wrong) seems to be: Worry about the dress code from the ankles up, but wear something safe from the ankles down. In a pinch, it's better to combine a gorgeous ballgown and sturdy tennis shoes than find yourself limping home.  :)
but they werent even letting tennis shoes in.  but were letting any style of boot including steel toe work boots.
yeah i noticed the panels are getting kind of stagnant, but you also have to remember how many years recently have we had a new con chair each year.
Can't think of anything else at the moment, other than little things like not being able to go to the ball because I wasn't able to get a ticket. I'm hoping that since next year will be 4 days, maybe there will be 2 balls?
my problem is they havent used the whole ballroom since the first one and they are using the rest of the ballroom for panels. second the way it was set up  originally was from 10 - 12:30 which means that the chibis had to leave and adults had the last 30 minutes
Only thing i have to say is that it felt like the majority of the panels are shoe-horned into sunday, this has happened last year too, but to a lesser extent. Almost everyone i knew there only had 2 things on their monday schedule. Spreading out some of the major events would be awesome, then again if spread too thin it seems things can get a bit boring, hopefully since the con starts officially on friday next year, this will mean a lot more content and panels, and allow for them to be spread out a touch.
also the stagnation of the whole thing we are also getting to big for our two hotels and honestly if we could actually rent out the park for the whole weekend and keep the drunk bikers out i would be more happy. but if the growth keeps up the last time i asked a higher up staff member (few years back) we need appx. 10k people to rent out the convention center to make it financially feasible so if we keep up the growth and expand i dont see why we wont be there in two years.
Here's my list:
1. Not being allowed into the Kumoricon Ball due to open-toed shoes. I read on the website that sandals, flip-flops, and sneakers were allowed if they were part of your cosplay, but I was kicked out of the line for wearing sandals (which was part of my character). I would like for the rules to be clear so that I know whether I should go to the ball instead of wasting half an hour in line

2. A lot of the staff did not seem to know what was going on the first day, as far as will-call and pre-registration. I almost had to wait in that huge line even though I was pre-reg. I think that the staff should have more trainings in order to be fully prepared.
4. There was no fanboy/fangirl support group :( Come back next year!
1. exactly i wouldnt have minded IF they were clear or if they made changes to the rules more than a half hour - hour before the event (so if need be i could go out and buy a pair of tennis shoes)but they werent letting those in either but were letting in steel toe work boots  ::)
2.exactly (but not staffs fault)
4.yes

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #34 on: September 04, 2013, 09:41:43 pm »
yeah i noticed the panels are getting kind of stagnant, but you also have to remember how many years recently have we had a new con chair each year.

A brief note... panels are handled by the Programming department (this is not meant as an attack on them--I just wanted to note the area that handles it since it was mentioned). The panel availability also depends on what is submitted to us.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline fairly_foxy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08:13 pm »
So I think the answer to our panel woes is: more people need to run panels and know how to run them well.

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:36 am »
1) I had an issue with the elevators. I really dont think people should shove their way in when we are FULL. My friend is claustrophobic and got shoved in a corner because a con goer would not listen to us when we said we were full with no room. That's not okay with me. There should be signs posted and/ or staff members that can support better behavior. I had no problems when there were staff members in the elevator that made sure to direct the number of people in the elevator.

2) I also had an issue with people stopping in the middle of a walk way to chat. Spreading out to the side would be super easy and so would finding a different location to chat. I was even IGNORED by a cosplayer when I said excuse me trying to get by. This is a bit of a personal opinion but the cosplayer in question was a homestucker; and I am going to say right now, that if you want the negative opinion about your group to cease and desist, it would be a good idea to set a good example and be on your best behavior. I encountered pleasant homestuckers at con, so I know that they exist.

3) I do not like the garage set up for the vendors hall. It was sooooo unbelievably hot in there and I wanted to escape the heat sooo badly. This made it hard for me to want to be in there.

4) I understand that the slightly anime dating game 18+ gets too raunchy but it would have been nice to at least have another one because it was really fun and the line was clearly drawn which made it more comfortable. I would love to see more interactive panels like that. That being said, I also would like to suggest that 18+ should not mean we have to go all out disgusting and frightening. The line should still be drawn at R-rated, not X-rated.

Offline wildlavender

• Cabbit
    • My DeviantART account! :D
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 03:56:52 am »
The Todd Autograph lines this year were horrible. The line management was terrible, to be honest. A particular staff member repeatedly moved people outside, made them wait outside in the heat, then told them they wouldn't be able to get in because they let people, which were the people who lined up too early and didn't listen to the staff to wait outside, got in. He even made the back of the line, which were the people who arrived at the right time, circle the hotel while they let the other people in.
The person managing the sabbat line, however, had the right idea. He kept the line from forming too early, and just made the early ones conga line to the back. That worked fairly and effectively.
Also, did anyone else see a suspicious old guy at the merch booth on day 2? I remember he was harassing people in line for the autograph panel. I also remember him pulling out a brown paper bag and pulling out what looked like old bullets. I'm not sure if they were replicas or not, but that is not appropriate.
Anyway, what Todd did with the extra autograph session for the people who ended up in those lines was incredible, and I certainly have a newfound respect for Mr. Haberkorn.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplays:
Matryoshka! Gumi (Vocaloid): (100%)
Tiger (Monster Rancher 4): (90%)
Nuregami (Okami): (100%)
Kululu (Sgt. Frog): (95%)

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 04:56:28 am »
I felt that mostly everyone was on their best behavior and it was a lot of fun to attend this year.
But, there were a few things that were amiss and a little healthy criticism never hurt anyone...

1.) I noticed that a lot of the games were being held late at night; even though they weren't 18+ events. For example, I really enjoyed playing the Anime Murder Game last year and it was held at 6 or 7PM. This year, it was 10PM at night. I did a lot of walking this year and I usually went back to my room and crashed before 10PM. It really would have been nice if they were held a bit earlier in the day.

2.) Panels. Panels everywhere. I felt that there were more panels than games this year. Granted, this was my first year of trying some panels out and, I have to say, if they all consist of biased opinions and getting talked at - I don't think they should outweigh other possibilities for the con.

3.) I realized, after talking with a few people, that not a whole lot of con-goers even know that the forum exists. There are some really nice photoshoot and meet-up ideas I'd like to set up with people who share similar interests and it would be easier to do on the forum. I wish that the staff added a pamphlet or ad in the swag bags that let con-goers know about it so they can join in.

4.) I understand that not everything can fit into one hotel. But I think it would be nice if all the games could be hosted in one and the panels could be hosted at the other. There were only a handful of games and panels that I wanted to try out this year and they were all over the place. I think it's insane to attend an event at the Hilton for an hour and walk across to the Red Lion to attend another one, only to turn right around and attend another one at the Hilton. Surely, there can be a compromise?

5.) I really wish that Kumoricon was more friendly towards non-anime fans. Don't take this the wrong way, I still enjoy anime and Japanese culture, but I'm starting to outgrow it and I think it's a common trait in our generation. Over these three years of attending the con, I've seen people cosplaying video game characters, comic book characters and even Doctor Who and internet memes. I feel that it's probably time to start thinking of games and events that incorporate these genres and changing the rules for the cosplay contest so people with different interests feel more welcome. From my own experience, I worked really hard on my Lara Croft cosplay and I had thought about trying to get into the cosplay contest only to be given a half-answer (Because it wasn't Japan-related, it didn't apply to costume judging or a solo spot; but I was considered for a skit slot). I felt unwelcome and pushed aside simply because what I wore wasn't anime-related.

-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline GregAtlas

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 06:51:57 am »
4) I understand that the slightly anime dating game 18+ gets too raunchy but it would have been nice to at least have another one because it was really fun and the line was clearly drawn which made it more comfortable. I would love to see more interactive panels like that. That being said, I also would like to suggest that 18+ should not mean we have to go all out disgusting and frightening. The line should still be drawn at R-rated, not X-rated.

I personally have never noticed that the slightly anime dating game 18+ get much, if any, more raunchy. Maybe more swearing, but as they make very clear: Innuendo is funny, Vulgarity isn't. Heck, I wouldn't mind having a second just regular slightly anime dating game without the 18+. I love it and always find myself with my face in pain from laughing and smiling so hard (something I almost never get to do)
Kaito - 99% done
Blitzcrank - 40% done
Darkrai - 90% done

Offline Bresslol

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 08:20:55 am »
I disagree that vulgarity isn't funny. If you can deliver something with great comedic timing, it will be hilarious. That said, adult humor isn't for everyone, and personally why I post a huge disclaimer before Cards Against Con saying that the content can get a little over-the-top and that we won't be offended if you want to turn back now.

Like Conventional Improv on Facebook!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 09:38:51 am »
While I saw most of the yoji who smoked move away from line to do so, as well as attendees,
On day one  noonish there was that line of people waiting to be directed past the gap to go to the parking ramp to register.

The yoji that was in charge of directing people from the line and to the rampthere was smoking and yeah I got a full blast of smoke, as did anyone heading down the ramp
I fully admit I am sensitive to cig smoke and get really bristly when I see people smoking around  kids.  I don't know if because that person was in chafe  there tey couldn't leave the post to another yoji to take a cig break or what , and I know it was outside when so many restrictiosn to where people can and can not smoke these days that is hard on smokers,but as said in jaz world you don't smoke around kids
that was also an issue where the display contest line up started, it was the outside smoking area of the Hilton where they have those sand buckets for butts, that you're in line and sine one says excuse me to drop a still smoking butt in ewww

Offline TuxedoSchwab

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Everything Waffles
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 10:21:27 am »
  I have attended for 2 years now and my experience has been great so far. However after losing that "magical" wonder over the first year, Kumoricon really doesn't offer many panels, signings, and events to warrant a four day event. The park offers a space for down time however that is a lot a wasted energy that could be used inside panels. These are critiques and not rants about the problems.

My list of things needed to be examined:

1. Better organized panels with proper equipment. The two Chris Sabot panels I went to were under prepared for him and was an embarassment for the con itself. Chris was an absolute gentleman about it and worked with what he had.

2. Volunteers that know how to form a line and keep it there.

3. The Kumoriball rules, of course. But also the music was not ballroom music, thus under minding the dress code requirements. Swing dancing is fun, but is not proper music for a ball.

4. VIP rules. I was not a VIP during this year, however I heard many complaining about how they were and deserved to be in front of the line. The rules seem a loss to even those that buy the pass and should be cleared up.

5. Photo-op rules. Kumoricon is bigger than ever. Congrats to us! people taking photos of cosplayers was worse than last year with bad moments chosen to take a photo. While I was Tuxedo Mask and my girlfriend was Neo Queen Serenity, we were stopped in some of the most awkward of locations inside the con. I am always ready to pose for someone, but stopping us in the middle of a huge crowd of people is bad for the flow. Posting rules on the columns or walls about photos might help deter photographers in that area.

6. Event Tickets. The times for getting tickets were confusing and seemed trivial. Standing in line for Kumoriball tickets an hour before the event and then moving to another line seems to be a bad solution. My girlfriends Neo Queen Serenity cosplay was turned away because she had sandals did not meet "requirements." However after the rules were changed we were able to come in at the very back of the line. No problem with getting in, however from being in the back of the line, I wonder why they made so many tickets if last year it was filled very quickly.

That is all I have for issues to examine. I know others felt the same and I am looking forward to next year. I am planning on volunteering and also holding a panel so I am obviously a fan with positive feelings about the con.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 10:50:34 am »
I did see too many people smoking too close (for my tastes) to the hotel.

It's not just a stinky nuisance, it could also be a very serious fire hazard for cosplays that have a lot of flammable materials. Or even someone that used an entire can of hairspray to get their wig just right.

I'm not saying con staff didn't do a good job of speaking with people about it (I'm sure they did). I just want people that may have the urge to smoke to remember this and try to move a bit further away from where there is heavy con traffic. Even better: quit smoking, it's bad for ya!  ;D Or consider buying a throw away e-cig for the weekend.

Offline TuxedoSchwab

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Everything Waffles
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 11:28:14 am »

It's not just a stinky nuisance, it could also be a very serious fire hazard for cosplays that have a lot of flammable materials. Or even someone that used an entire can of hairspray to get their wig just right.

I'm not saying con staff didn't do a good job of speaking with people about it (I'm sure they did). I just want people that may have the urge to smoke to remember this and try to move a bit further away from where there is heavy con traffic. Even better: quit smoking, it's bad for ya!  ;D Or consider buying a throw away e-cig for the weekend.

Felt the same way. However if it is legal in the state and city, then there is nothing they can really do.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 11:41:16 am »

Felt the same way. However if it is legal in the state and city, then there is nothing they can really do.

I think hotel staff and con staff would certainly be within their legal rights.

Smoking is banned under the following circumstances:

• In any "workplace" in Washington – meaning any area which employees are required to pass through during the course of employment.
  • In any "public place" in Washington – meaning any building or vehicle used by and open to the public, for example, schools, bars, restaurants, schools, elevators, stores, bowling alleys, skating rinks, and non-tribal casinos.
  • Within 25 feet of entrances, exits, windows that open, and ventilation intakes for work places or public places.[/l][/l]
[/list]
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:41:41 am by reppy »

Offline Black~Rose

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 12:37:37 pm »

I personally have never noticed that the slightly anime dating game 18+ get much, if any, more raunchy. Maybe more swearing, but as they make very clear: Innuendo is funny, Vulgarity isn't. Heck, I wouldn't mind having a second just regular slightly anime dating game without the 18+. I love it and always find myself with my face in pain from laughing and smiling so hard (something I almost never get to do)

I have never been to the 18+ one. But I was told it was cancelled for that reason.

I also have a complaint about the last day. The park was soooo awful to be in the last day because EVERYONE was smoking around the perimeter. I even saw someone light one up RIGHT NEXT TO A MOTHER AND HER BABY. That is just sooo rude.

Offline RobinSena

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:27 pm »
  3. The Kumoriball rules, of course. But also the music was not ballroom music, thus under minding the dress code requirements. Swing dancing is fun, but is not proper music for a ball.
Personally, my friends and I would go ballroom dancing every Friday night and east coast swing is one of the the many dances that we do at the ballroom dances (including the formal balls once a term).  Providing a large variety of music gives people options on when to dance and if it's a song they don't like also gives them a dance or two to take breaks.
"Well, it's going to look pretty good then, isn't it?  The One Horseman and the Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse." Terry Pratchett

Offline TuxedoSchwab

• Cabbit
    • Twitter
    • Everything Waffles
« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2013, 02:40:58 pm »
Personally, my friends and I would go ballroom dancing every Friday night and east coast swing is one of the the many dances that we do at the ballroom dances (including the formal balls once a term).  Providing a large variety of music gives people options on when to dance and if it's a song they don't like also gives them a dance or two to take breaks.

True, however that resembles a "mixer" or dance than ball. The Kumoriball implies a certain expectation of dress code and sophisticated dancing. In this case, they are not working together. If you were there, you would know that it was somewhat of a mess of bodies moving rather than dancing. There are other events at Kumoricon that allow many kinds of dancing. I am of course talking about the events at night with the DJs.

What I am concerned with is the high expectations the rules imply, monitoring dress code, and then allow everyone to dance however they feel like. That isn't a ball, it's a high school mixer. I still enjoyed the ball, however the rules and dress code don't really meet the expectation they imply.

Offline Amezuki

• Cabbit
    • My no-frills SAO/fanfic/language-geek page
« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 03:13:17 pm »
This was my first Kumoricon; prior to this I've been to SakuraCon and a ton of other larger cons over the years. Calibrate my observations appropriately.

I managed to make it to two panels--the back-to-back prop- and armor-making panels. They were highly informative and run by people with deep knowledge of their craft. They were also sweltering ovens with no airflow or obvious access to water, and I almost left early. I did have to step out once midway through, and only got back in because I was able to show the slip of paper they passed out for the raffle. I realize that there's only so much that can be done about this, but the heat was pretty bad and after that I didn't go any others.

The exhibition hall was deeply disappointing in many ways, most of which have already been brought up. The quality and variety of merchandise was poor, and most vendors I spoke with could only take cash due to the lack of cell signal. That lack of signal had one other problem that can't be remedied by the (reportedly spotty) vendor wifi: it made it extremely difficult to coordinate plans with anyone there, meet up, or regroup, because once you were there you couldn't call or text. This was a much bigger problem than in any other signal-deficient areas because of the huge lines to get in early in the day and the way the number of visitors was throttled.

I was lucky enough to meet up with some friends I made on the forums and make good use of information I found here. I ended up spending most of the weekend hanging out in the park with said new friends, and that was a blast. But if I hadn't done that, or hadn't visited the forums beforehand, I probably would've struggled.