Author Topic: Too hot! Ideas unsuited for the weather  (Read 6109 times)

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
Too hot! Ideas unsuited for the weather
« on: August 07, 2013, 10:17:21 pm »
Like all of us in this area, I've grown to fear the great fire sphere in the sky when it unleashes its rage upon us every summer. Which is funny because I'm originally from Indiana, where 110 degrees in June wasn't unheard of but ah well.

So this has led to dropping some costume ideas. Initially I planned to go as Mitsuru from Persona 3, but the idea of wearing a long-sleeved fencing outfit plus a long wig in the summer heat was a turnoff. And of course my idea of Tina Belcher-as-Topsy fizzled out the moment I thought of it because it centers around a sweatsuit.

What ideas have you had to ditch because of the heat?

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: Too hot! Ideas unsuited for the weather
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2013, 10:28:47 pm »
Pretty much anything involving leathery material..lol Or anything with pants haha All of mine are crossplays and one involves short shorts (but also a hoodie..so that sucks..It's kyoko Sakura from Madoka), and the other 2 involve dresses (Lolita and Kairi from KH2) lol I refuse to wear anything with pants to this con haha I also am sorta glad I gave up on any KH Orgxiii cosplays..That was hot in the SNOW..Imagine in the heat lol

I also decided no Final Fantsy cosplay this con because of heat. Mine were Squall and Cloud and I refuse to wear them in that heat lol

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 09:21:17 am »
Yeah I have dropped a lot of ideas cuz of heat + pregger issues make the heat seem worse.

So I will stick to comfy easy cosplays and extra comfy clothes so if I feel sticky then I can just change
I might actually use the hotel pool this year!

superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Valkyrie542

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »
I wore slacks and a dress shirt as part of my cosplay last year and I was alright, so long as I took plenty of breaks, drank water and didn't walk around outside for too long. (I stayed inside the Hilton for events and played video games in the garage for a majority of the time)

I guess it depends on what you're wearing - but if the fabric isn't too thick, that always helps with recycling the hot air.
-Kumoricon Cosplays-

Coming Soon!!

Message me if you're doing similar cosplays and want to meet for photos!

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 04:43:27 pm »
I can't really utilize Sister Finland without the promise of cool weather and air conditioning. The main reason for this is the hand-knitted, acrylic, thigh-high stockings. Them babes go over really well in hot weather. The sweatshirt and knitted cap are less of a problem, but still uncomfortable.
I've basically planned at least one of my outfits this year to be hot weather happy.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline moiramctaggart

• Sailor Scout
    • deviantArt
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2013, 07:12:46 am »
I dropped Millie from Trigun. Long sleeve shirt with undershirt, pants, trenchcoat, cape-let. Naw, save that for Sakuracon, where it snowed one year.

Offline ghostkomokhiru

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 12:20:28 pm »
I wanted to bring my Tails the Fox cosplay, but for some reason it doesn't breathe, and the tails on the back are heavy, so I decided against it >w< Maybe for Newcon.

Offline EmAino

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2013, 07:03:05 pm »
I would like to do Russia from Hetalia again, but I learned year before last that it wasn't a good idea.  Maybe for a colder con?
Sakuracon 2014
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Yugito Nii - Naruto Shippuden
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon

Kumoricon
God Tier Jane Crocker - Homestuck
Sailor Jupiter - Sailor Moon
Kyoko Sakura - Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Komachi Onozuka - Touhou

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 08:47:16 am »
I scrapped the wearing of John Watson because of the super chunky hand knit wool sweater. BUT I decided to wear a fleece bathrobe costume. You think I would've learned my leason after almost passing out a couple years ago after wearing a fleece Mokona.

Offline ichigo_m.

• Catgirl
    • OhMyCosplay
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 09:15:46 am »
My friends and I usually have trouble staying warm at Kumori. So this year we're wearing ball gowns and my friend has long sleeves. Hopefully we won't die. xD
Kumoricon 2014: Pearl - Sakizou. Princess Serenity - Sailor Moon. Undine Asuna - SAO. Zelda - A Link Between Worlds.

Offline zenneth

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 11:07:58 am »
I  despise the sun  as well because I get dark really easily.  but heat is  something that I've gotten used to as I wear hoodies  outside to cover myself from the sun.   thus because of this I am  highly resistant to heat.
 I'm going to cosplay full clothed characters  this season and  my tips to those who want to do the same is...
 don't do unnecessary movements   other than  walking and posing for the camer  as movements create heat and you don't want any more heat than what the sun is lashing  down upon you. 
take a  seat at shaded areas every now and then so that your body gets to cool down from walking around. 
and drink plenty of water
cosplays done so far: kakuzu, gintoki, danboard, K Dash, assassin cross, loki of the emblem assassins, gilbert nightray, sebastian, black rock shooter kaito

Offline mike_was_here

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 03:06:09 pm »
Unfortunately, my friend and I seem to have the opposite problem... we never consider the heat when planning costumes, and this year both of us have two costumes where we are covered from head to toe. T-T
Kumo 2017 line-up:

Kakashi - Naruto
Warlock - Destiny
Android 17 - DBZ
Others TBD

Offline Meme Oshino

• Oni
    • Uber-Geek Cosplay
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 06:33:53 pm »
I'm always worried I'm going to find the guy in the giant Kon costume passed out from heat exhaustion somewhere... Seriously, how can he walk around in that thing outside without the risk of spontaneous combustion?

Offline KingOfSassgard

• Sailor Scout
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2013, 09:12:17 pm »
I'm always worried I'm going to find the guy in the giant Kon costume passed out from heat exhaustion somewhere... Seriously, how can he walk around in that thing outside without the risk of spontaneous combustion?

That guy is like my idol. Whenever I complain about how hot I get in a tank top and light pants, I think back to him and that gives me the courage to continue on in my cosplay. He also went to the rave last year!
~
I've scrapped the idea of being Loki from Avengers. I really don't want to walk around in a leather trench coat and other heavy materials. Though I know I just said how the Kon guy is an inspiration, but there's a point where if it's hot, it's hot. Some day I might be Loki. :)
Used to be DasDeutsch

Tumblr: http://the-king-of-sassgard.tumblr.com

Offline Meme Oshino

• Oni
    • Uber-Geek Cosplay
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 08:29:11 am »
I think Kon was probably hotter at the rave in that stuffy auditorium than he was outside earlier that day.

Offline Red Phoenix

• Oni
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 09:55:34 am »
This is going to be my first time at Kamoricon with my daughter, so I've been working on my cosplay all summer, but hoping for cooler weather! I'm going to be the Phoenix from the 3rd x-men movie, corset and all, though the fabric isn't heavy it's a lot of layers. I'm hoping for lots of AC in the hotels and have a back up cosplay outfit that my red hair can go with.

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 11:23:17 am »
I find that I actually get hotter with the less clothes covering my skin- like I'm being baked and have nothing to slow it. I'm always cooler when I wear long sleeves and jeans- still warm- but not nearly as when I'm in shorts and a tank. So I actually plan to wear costumes that moderately cover me, and I always bring an umbrella (meant for rain, so it's thicker) to shade myself from the sun if I'm outside for a while.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline YouLikeRice

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 12:37:18 pm »
The weather forecast for Vancouver at the moment says it's gonna rain on Saturday and Sunday with temperatures ranging from 60 degrees in the morning to 75 in the afternoon.

Nooooooooo. I hope the weather forecast is wrong.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 12:38:28 pm by YouLikeRice »

Offline Whitecrow

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 06:24:49 pm »
This thread reminds me of Ice King getting heat stroke during a dating panel.  Funny ironic, but oh man, I can only imagine. >.<
Kumoricon 2013 Lineup:
Shifty from Happy Tree friends
Suichi Kurama from Yu Yu Hakusho
Hanatarou from Bleach

Offline RoriLei

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 08:39:33 am »
I am terrified because I will be wearing black pants and boots as Zoro. Not only that, but a haramaki on top! And a wig! Also a tank top, but that leaves me open to burn... I'm going to be drinking tons of water and trying to stay in the great indoors (air-conditioning) a lot.

Takes a lot of character love to make me do this. I'm going to write an accusatory letter to Eichiro Oda if I get a stroke because he made his character too awesome :)
Kumoricon 2014: Possibilities - Female Rock Lee (Naruto). Female Mako (LoK). Poison Shroom Toadette (Mario). Hawkeye (Marvel). Vaporeon (Pokemon). Izzy (TDI). Maskless Deadpool (Marvel). Jubilee (Marvel). Pacific Rim character.

Offline Prince McKupo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 08:54:47 am »
Yeah...I'm probably just a major masochist, but I'm gonna be braving the con with a giant moogle mascot.  Thankfully the temperatures are forecast to only be in the mid-70s/low-80s, but still...

I'm sporting four cooling bands on my wrists and ankles, along with a cooling scarf around my neck.  I'm also toting a hydration pack on the inside of the mascot, since holding a cup/bottle might be troublesome with no fingers.  And my phone will buzz me every 45-60 minutes to take the head off for a 10-15 minute air break.  When I'm potentially putting my body in harm's way, I go kupo-crazy with the precautions!

(^o^)

Prince McKupo is back in the action, baby!  Kupo!  Now, as for my "cooling down" cosplay: Jude Mathis, with both his Xillia 1 (100%) and Xillia 2 (100%) outfits.

Offline Titus

• Oni
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 04:03:56 pm »
Unfortunately, my friend and I seem to have the opposite problem... we never consider the heat when planning costumes, and this year both of us have two costumes where we are covered from head to toe. T-T

Hahaha, I don't think I have a cosplay that isn't wrapped in layers. Always too hot somehow.

But nothing like that Kon. I remember seeing him take off the head, and sweat was pouring off the guy. Wanted to hand the guy a gallon of water to drink or something. People who do Mascots at Kcon are tough.
Kenpachi (Bleach)
Hungry Ghost Realm Pein (Naruto)
Genma Saotome (Ranma 1/2)
Kankuro (Naruto)
V (V for Vendetta)

Debuting at Kcon 2013
Tobi (Naruto)
Tonberry (Final Fantasy)

Offline Meme Oshino

• Oni
    • Uber-Geek Cosplay
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 04:48:05 pm »
I remember going into the restroom during the Rave last year and seeing Kon's head sitting in the middle of the floor.  It was very disconcerting.  I should have looked for Mami Tomoe's head while I was in there.... And Eren's hand and foot...

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2013, 09:49:06 pm »
*stands in the corner wearing fleece and 5 layers...*

Yeah, I just decide to cosplay whatever I want, even if I'm going to die in the heat ^^;
I just make sure, if it's too hot, to stay inside mainly, and drink lots of water!

But yeah, both of my cosplays this year involve my whole body being covered and layers.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 12:05:50 am »
...screw the heat. I'm doing Tina anyway.