Author Topic: Volunteering Age Requirement?  (Read 5104 times)

Offline skarrj

• Oni
Volunteering Age Requirement?
« on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:40 am »
I'd like to apologize in advance if I posted this in the wrong section or did something that otherwise makes me look nooby. I'm a bit new to this forum.

So I was wondering how old someone had to be to volunteer.  ??? I'm 15 and would greatly appreciate the chance to volunteer, assuming I'm able. I love to do volunteer work(Because I consider myself a workaholic 8) ) and I've been obsessed with Anime/Manga since I was a little kid. So being a part of the inner workings of a convention (an anime one especially) would be amazing and a great experience.

I've looked around the forum a bit and I've found conflicting information(which is why I am asking directly). Both sources I read list that you need a guardian to fill out a permission form if you are under 18. Though the difference is one source listed 16 as the minimum age which you were permitted to volunteer and the other listed 14. So I am a tad bit confused on the matter.

Any information would be highly appreciated.
-Skarrj

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
Re: Volunteering Age Requirement?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:24:53 am »
Volunteers that join at-con have different requirements then the staffing volunteers from what I know. I believe you have to be at least 14 to be able to volunteer in either case. In the policies page it says 16 years old https://www.kumoricon.org/staff-policies But if you are 16 by the time con rolls around, they should be able to accept you.

You can email volunteers@kumoricon.org
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 08:18:20 am »
I'm pretty sure the age limit for volunteering is actually 13... but veraca's absolutely right about the different requirements/procedures to volunteer or to be staff, and about the age limit being 16 (at the time of the con) to be staff. And as veraca said, you can always email volunteers@kumoricon.org with questions about volunteering or staffing, though checking here on the forums is fine too. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 08:52:33 pm »
I'm pretty sure the age limit for volunteering is actually 13... but veraca's absolutely right about the different requirements/procedures to volunteer or to be staff, and about the age limit being 16 (at the time of the con) to be staff.

Technically, the limit is at time of registration, but we often make exceptions if you will be 16 by con, or in exceptional circumstances.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline RandomDraconic

• Oni
    • RD's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 12:06:03 am »
And, hey, props to anyone who wants to volunteer!

But yeah, there are different requirements, it's best to email and ask just for clarification. It certainly won't hurt to do that, anyway.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 07:42:48 am »
After hearing back on the subject from a couple of people in the know, it looks like RandomDraconic's answer is much closer to the mark than mine was. There actually isn't any universal age requirement to volunteer, although different departments may have their own expectations. The best thing to do really is to email and ask for clarification, because it'll be up to the department you'd like to work with.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.