Author Topic: AA2013 - Who Made It?  (Read 17278 times)

Offline Kao

• Cabbit
AA2013 - Who Made It?
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:43:32 pm »
Seeing as the e-mail went out today, I'm curious to know who got in (and who didn't)!

I didn't get in, but I wish luck to those who did. Unfortunately, I will not be trying for next year since I am moving out of the country, so it's definitely a bummer that I couldn't join you guys for one more year! Have a blast for me haha.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
Re: AA2013 - Who Made It?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 05:01:43 pm »
I didn't get in, and i won't be trying for next year or any other year. Ill probably just be shutting down my shop anyways. preparing for this and then not getting in has kinda just turned me off to continuing selling. no one buys anything from me anyways so what's the point.

Offline devyrae

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 06:51:07 pm »
I didnt either, this is the second year in a row dealing with this and there is a lot i could say but im just so done right now whats the point of even trying for this cons AA anymore??..... not to mention this was our ONLY way to be able to go to kumoricon this year but its whatever i guess... we are selling at newcon PDX though ^^

Kumoricon 13 plans:
Ari -Okage Shadow King
Axel -Kingdom Hearts
Ash -Pokemon
Nick -L4D2

https://www.facebook.com/Need4Things
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Devysisk-Modeling-Page/496336850429477

Offline Lysenis

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Majestic Maille Blogspot
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:35:05 pm »
This chain maille artisian did not get in.

Now I will put money that Jen got in.
The whats and the knows for Chain Maille

Offline Kao

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 07:46:53 pm »
Aw man don't give up selling! There are always a lot of people who get turned away from conventions. It's part of why I apply to so many and attend so many, because I know that I could be turned down from one but not another. I even apply for conventions that are the same weekend and if I get accepted to both, I will usually pick the more convenient one/cheaper one to get to. It's kind of like applying to college haha. Your first cons will rarely be as successful as you'd like, if they're successful at all. It takes time to build up materials, figure out what people want (and it changes from con to con, what they like in one area is completely different in the next) , and build a fan-base who will return each day to get something from you, or buy something from you each convention. It does take a lot of work, but if you keep at it, the payoff is worth it.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 08:38:35 pm »
I say we get our artwork in the artshow and prove to them that our stuff is still worth what we went through to make it.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:54:02 am »

Better be some really good AA booths this year considering all the awesome stuff I've seen rejected....

Rejected: http://dustyphoenix.tripod.com/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:55:17 am by Kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 02:21:41 am »

Better be some really good AA booths this year considering all the awesome stuff I've seen rejected....

Wth, why were they rejected? I know the entire HP fandom wouldve been buying wands and Id love a mask for my Queen Chrysalis cosplay.
Part of me is really hoping there was a mix up, and all who got rejected were accidently sent the wrong emails and are really accepted. If that AA isn't the best its been, then Ima be losses that someone (won't name who) who can't draw at all, got in while I didn't.

Offline Lysenis

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 02:25:29 pm »

Wth, why were they rejected? I know the entire HP fandom wouldve been buying wands and Id love a mask for my Queen Chrysalis cosplay.
Part of me is really hoping there was a mix up, and all who got rejected were accidently sent the wrong emails and are really accepted. If that AA isn't the best its been, then Ima be losses that someone (won't name who) who can't draw at all, got in while I didn't.
yea. . . I will be VERY upset if i dont see amazing. If i see staff that are not up to par as this i WILL boycott.

Offline Kadaashi

• Cabbit
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:43:29 am »
we didn't get in either because our applications apparently never arrived or something :\

Offline SasamiChan

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 02:03:12 pm »
Kadaashi - I'm a bit worried about that myself. I sent in an application on June 1st (the day they opened). I never got a confirmation email that it was received but apparently they weren't sending confirmations, either, so I just assumed it went through (like any reasonable person would). I still haven't received an accept/reject response.

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 05:17:40 pm »
They send out comfirmations of if your email went through or not if you asked them through e-mail;; I did that.

Offline SasamiChan

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2013, 05:44:43 pm »
Yeah, but you had to ask them for a confirmation, it wasn't automatic. I didn't request a confirmation because I assumed it went through. I didn't want to burden them with silly confirmation requests when they have enough to do.

Offline Kadaashi

• Cabbit
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2013, 06:34:49 pm »
@SasamiChan
yep same here. i assumed it went through so i didn't bother asking.
i had friends who were also told that their application wasnt received either and they were rejected too

EDIT:
i looked at the email my friend got again and it said our email never arrived so I guess that means the email itself that tells us we go rejected and not the application. sorry it was worded kinda weird
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 11:36:19 pm by Kadaashi »

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2013, 09:14:21 pm »
See, and people thought my concern wasn't needed. I think, with the delays and the problems this year, a lot of artists got ripped off. Not that my dolls are better than anyone else's, but I know for a fact, that not many crochet or knitters are here. We are very few and all our work is amazing. So why did the majority of us not get in? I thought there was supposed to be variety in the booths, and from what it looks like to the public, only artwork has been accepted this year, not creations.
I'm concerned that with the low amount (only two people from what I've heard) of staffers that are deciding the fate of who gets in and who doesn't, a lot of things were over looked. Not that anyone who got in didn't deserve it, they did and I'm happy for them, but more that those who are amazingly good and have been at AA for years and always get in and always share their work, didn't get in. It seems like all the big shot artists got kicked out this year to make room. Which is sad if it is true. I think.the AA staff need more staff members.

Offline SasamiChan

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 11:30:54 pm »
Kadaashi - That's pretty upsetting if applications aren't going through and they aren't providing confirmations by default. If no confirmations are provided it kind of implies that your system has its **** together. If several applications were lost this year then I would strongly encourage all artists next year to get a confirmation email, even if it puts more work on the coordinators. That's unacceptable.

Offline Kadaashi

• Cabbit
    • My DeviantART
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 11:37:30 pm »
@SasamiChan

I just edited my post a second ago since I took a look again at the email my friend got. It looks like what didn't arrive is the email telling us we did not get in, not the application itself. The way it was worded though made me misread it.

Offline scream aim fire

• Cabbit
    • @deviantart
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2013, 01:34:36 am »
I got rejected, as did all 5 of my friends who applied this year.

Didn't get in last year either, but at least a couple of my friends did and I was able to share a table with one of them.

It's a shame that after 6 years of selling at Kumoricon, now that they've started jurying my art just doesn't seem to be what they're looking for. u_u

Offline SasamiChan

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2013, 08:13:08 am »
Kadaashi - That seems much more reasonable haha. Still a shame that it got lost, but at least they were able to get a response. I still haven't received my email!:(

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2013, 09:22:59 am »
I got rejected, as did all 5 of my friends who applied this year.

Didn't get in last year either, but at least a couple of my friends did and I was able to share a table with one of them.

It's a shame that after 6 years of selling at Kumoricon, now that they've started jurying my art just doesn't seem to be what they're looking for. u_u

Do you make the charms in your signature? I think I have two figures of Albel I got back in 08 or 09.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2013, 01:21:10 pm »
Sorry to hear ya all didn't make it in, all I can say is people are going to miss out, and don't let this discourage your crating arts, there are other cons, tho I understand distance can be an issue.  The AA better have really great stuff this year given what was turned down. I wonder if the people deciding what gets in, are thinking of the "Art" as in prints and posters n such vs "crafted" arts, and more graphic art booth as a result?  I don't know how they chose what gets in but I know as a consumer of AA, I tend to go for craft art. 
(Mainly because I try to get 'useful' things, like a earrings and or a phone charm will get used, vs a poster when there is not enough wall space for the scrolls I have.)

Yeah, but you had to ask them for a confirmation, it wasn't automatic. I didn't request a confirmation because I assumed it went through. I didn't want to burden them with silly confirmation requests when they have enough to do.

That is a pet peeve of me in general, where I understand the volume of e-mail must be crazy, a confirmation responce should be routine. When emailing as a staff for k-con or at my old job as a CSP making phone calls to docs offices there were tons of times where I didn't get a responce back and yeah used to drive me nuts, def a thing I do not miss, now I am a normal attendee (and not at that job anymore)
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline ObiJay

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 12:54:03 pm »
There are a lot of assumptions being made here. I can definitely understand being upset about not getting in, we've been rejected by several cons in the past, still get rejected by some now, and have even been rejected by Kcon in the past. We got in last year and again this year, and I can guarantee it is not all prints because my wife and I do jewelry and accessories. There were a wide variety of things being offered last year, including several other craft tables. Some folks did well, some didn't. Saying artists were "ripped off" is an insult to the people that did get in. Conversations and forum threads like this do pop up with any sort of jury based panel, even the very light jurying that is done for Kcon. Some are more harsh, and with some cons it's obvious that they are just letting their friends in. There really is no best way to decide who gets in to an AA, be it first come first served (Sakura Con), juries (several cons all over the country) or some other hybrid approach that some cons do. There will always be some sort of flaw pointed out by people that got rejected.

Still, don't give up all together, as it has been said, there's other cons and opportunities, be it local events, art fairs, etc etc.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 06:39:30 pm »
There are a lot of assumptions being made here. I can definitely understand being upset about not getting in, we've been rejected by several cons in the past, still get rejected by some now, and have even been rejected by Kcon in the past. We got in last year and again this year, and I can guarantee it is not all prints because my wife and I do jewelry and accessories. There were a wide variety of things being offered last year, including several other craft tables. Some folks did well, some didn't. Saying artists were "ripped off" is an insult to the people that did get in. Conversations and forum threads like this do pop up with any sort of jury based panel, even the very light jurying that is done for Kcon. Some are more harsh, and with some cons it's obvious that they are just letting their friends in. There really is no best way to decide who gets in to an AA, be it first come first served (Sakura Con), juries (several cons all over the country) or some other hybrid approach that some cons do. There will always be some sort of flaw pointed out by people that got rejected.

Still, don't give up all together, as it has been said, there's other cons and opportunities, be it local events, art fairs, etc etc.

I do believe a lot of artists were ripped off. Its not meant as an insult at all, its just how it is. What Im saying was a rip off, is that the artists who did well there for the past several years got rejected, and several artist who have done well at other cons and wanted to try their hand at Kumo, got rejected. Good, well known artists, that would have secured an amazing turn out for next year, were turned away and now AA is going to pay for it. I dont like to buy artwork at AA because it always ends up damaged in my house, so Id rather buy things that I can use, or put on a shelf, and keep for a good amount of time. From the artist I have seen that have gotten in, there is very few of them. That in my eyes, is a rip off.

Offline CloudyKasumi

• Oni
    • Cloudy Kasumi Arts
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2013, 10:08:14 pm »

I know you're disappointed. I've been there. But you haven't been "ripped off". No one is ever promised a table, that's why they go through the application process. As other artists have said, its best to apply to other cons as a buffer against being rejected. That, or be ready to focus on online sales.

I find it really disheartening to see people assuming that the people who were accepted were given special treatment or some such. Seeing as you aren't aware of who all got accepted, that's really rude to both the artists as well as the con staff who work hard to put together this event for people to enjoy.

I know for a fact that Jen works really hard to organize the artist alley, and to be as fair as possible. In talking with her in the past when I got rejected, she's said that there are several factors that they consider. For one, they want variety. They're also going to keep in mind what's popular right now, what's in demand. They're going to want to make the artist alley as successful as possible and will choose artists accordingly. I'd also suspect that they would like to leave open a few opportunities for new artists looking at a chance to sell too.

Offline Tygermane

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2013, 11:17:11 pm »
Sadly, I got rejected too  :'(   And after going through the webpages of those who did get rejected, i agree, that those who did get accepted had better be absolutely AMAZING!!
I wish they had more room for artist alley, they mentioned they only had 30 tables, I'm curious how many exibitors there are.  This will be my first time attending Kumoricon, so I'm really excited to see those artists that did make it!

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2013, 08:33:34 am »

I know you're disappointed. I've been there. But you haven't been "ripped off". No one is ever promised a table, that's why they go through the application process.

I find it really disheartening to see people assuming that the people who were accepted were given special treatment or some such.
I know for a fact that Jen works really hard to organize the artist alley, and to be as fair as possible. In talking with her in the past when I got rejected, she's said that there are several factors that they consider. For one, they want variety. They're also going to keep in mind what's popular right now, what's in demand. They're going to want to make the artist alley as successful as possible and will choose artists accordingly. I'd also suspect that they would like to leave open a few opportunities for new artists looking at a chance to sell too.

Yes no one is promised anything, but when the people who run the AA pick and chose who gets in are fellow vendors (at least for per years)  who do have a table, it can very easily create those thoughts and opinions of getting special treatment, esp when people don't know of the exact the weeding process of picking AA tables, if its people even higher up who make the final call of who gets in to avoid people picking themselves(like for AMV contest you can't help count votes if you have a submission) or maybe having a table is a perk of that particular staffing position which I could very much see as any staff position is by definition unpaid work with stressful long hours.

But yes when people don't know, it can lead to these thoughts/feelings of being treated unfairly nor are the past vendors posting here alone feeling like that.
  I am not a AA vendor, tho I have thought of it some day but the stories I hear make it sound stressful and not for me.
 Sad thing is its not from friends, but by by random past AA people who work the con crafting rounds , who I have just met, will start chatting, the first time meeting someone "nice shirt, got it at kumoricon con' 'cool I have gone too bla bla"  and I end up hearing something negative about the running of AA, prob just sour grapes, but not good for the AA rep.  Last time tho I did hear it as "not as bad as such n such con"

So I guess I am saying a mix, filling the AA openings are hard work and involve a lot of process that the public just doesn't see, but because people don't know what goes on (which is impossible as that would mean a bunch more work not like they could record a conversation debating which of 2 vendors would get 1 booth) yes I can understand how it will leave the people feeling like they were treated unfairly.  Bottom line its a 50 pound bag of vendors trying for a 20 pound room, and it must be hard to be the people in charge of that.  I wouldn't want to, knowing all the peeps I would have to say 'no' to based on room size alone :(
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:42:36 am by superjaz »

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 08:23:57 pm »
I know you're disappointed. I've been there. But you haven't been "ripped off". No one is ever promised a table, that's why they go through the application process. As other artists have said, its best to apply to other cons as a buffer against being rejected. That, or be ready to focus on online sales.
I find it really disheartening to see people assuming that the people who were accepted were given special treatment or some such. Seeing as you aren't aware of who all got accepted, that's really rude to both the artists as well as the con staff who work hard to put together this event for people to enjoy.
I am not aware of all of who got into AA, no, but the majority of artists who did get in, I do know them and their work. The people who decide the fate of the artists didnt have to say anything. Most of the artists who got in have been spreading the word on their websites and dA accounts. So yes, actually, I am aware of most of who got in, and so I am aware of what AA will hold this year. It is not rude to the people working with AA or the artists who have got in to express my opinion. At all.

That is all fine and dandy. If that really is the case, then why were the majority of artists who got rejected, the only artists who had original and creative items? Chain mail, amigurumi, masks and other clay creations, steampunk accessories, ect. Those are all popular, have variety, and are creative and original items that people would pay good money for, and keep coming back to the AA for.

Offline CloudyKasumi

• Oni
    • Cloudy Kasumi Arts
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 06:39:51 pm »
That is all fine and dandy. If that really is the case, then why were the majority of artists who got rejected, the only artists who had original and creative items? Chain mail, amigurumi, masks and other clay creations, steampunk accessories, ect. Those are all popular, have variety, and are creative and original items that people would pay good money for, and keep coming back to the AA for.

"The only artists who have original and creative items" An absolute statement there. So you really mean to suggest, out of the entire artist alley, not one of those artists has anything original? I've seen some of the people who've got in, and some who didn't, and all of them have wonderful stuff. I can't really say for certain why some artists got picked over others. There were some great artists that got turned away, I agree. It might be worth sending an e-mail and asking; I've gotten some good information from Jen in the past when I've done so. Information like that might be beneficial to you in the future, as well as any artists you share it with. Business is always uncertain, so asking questions is a good way of learning what managers are looking for. Managers have experience and generally have a good sense of what's in demand.

You might be surprised to find that artist got turned away because another artist who was accepted already filled that niche. Like I said, they want variety. I know for a fact that there are at least a few crafters in the artist alley this year. Some artists haven't made it a point to post that they'll be attending, (I know a few of them personally) so it's just silly to judge this year's artist alley without having even attended it yet, whether or not you feel like you're familiar with the majority.

Nothing wrong with opinions, but there is something wrong with being rude and talking badly about artists. For one, its poor sportsmanship. For another, you're guilt tripping the people who did get in, and they deserve congratulations. Feel the way you want to feel, that's fine. But don't try to drag other people down with you.

Guess that's all that I have to say~ Hold to your opinions if you will, I'm not really interested in sitting here and arguing with you about them. But I do urge the artists who were turned away not to give up. It really is worth asking questions, the information I've received in the past after getting rejected helped me get in other years following.

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 12:15:10 am »
I have asked questions, I have messaged Jen and other staff members, and I have been ignored each time. So simply asking for information has gotten me nowhere.
You are right, until I get there and see the alley, I wont know for sure.
For the record, I have not been rude in any way, nor have I talked bad about an artist behind their back at all. Ive stated very clearly that I do not like what I have seen that is going to be in AA this year. That is not rude, its not talking badly about any specific artist, and there is nothing wrong at all with stating that I do not like something. People do it all the time, more than necessary on this forum actually, and never get anything said to them.
And yes, the people who got in do deserve a well done. Yippie, they got in. Good for them. Im not guilt tripping them, or pulling the down with my feelings. If they are going to let an opinion ruin their fun and happiness of getting in, then they shouldnt be in a business where people are going to be upset a lot about having their chance taken away from them. Confidence is everything in this area of business, and one opinion should not have that big of a hold on an artists work. Not everybody is going to love what you make, and every artist needs to know that. To let one person bring you down because they dont like your work, that is just silly.

Offline Transimage

• Sailor Scout
    • ooorangy@Tumblr
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 12:58:09 am »

And yes, the people who got in do deserve a well done. Yippie, they got in. Good for them. Im not guilt tripping them, or pulling the down with my feelings.

Tala, I find this very hard to believe given the contents of your very first reply to this thread.

I came to this post thinking that I'd find a discussion between group of artists enthusiastic for this year's Kumoricon. Instead, I found that the first two people to reply used it to not only announce that they hadn't gotten in, but passive aggressively state that they would shut down their respective businesses due to not getting in (after expecting to, as if it were a sure thing). If that's not guilt tripping, I don't know what it is. "Confidence is everything in this area of business," didn't you just say?

I'm sorry that you don't approve of how the artist alley is run. I can't say anything about it myself, since I am simply a third party. But I am thankful and grateful to be one of the artists that were accepted this year - no matter who doesn't like the fact that I'm in, or dislikes kind of art that I make, or feels the need to quantify my right to be in the alley through doubting the showrunners, I have no obligation to prove myself to you or anyone else. I'm here because I'm here. I'm here because I like what this convention is about.

See you all at Kumoricon.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 12:59:50 am by Transimage »

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2013, 02:03:37 am »
Oh no, I'm not shutting down my business because I didn't get in. I'm not applying again because of the way things are run. I didn't say I was shutting down my whole business because I didn't get in. I was expecting to get in, yes, because the operators of AA stated they wanted variety and I fully believe that only having one crochet booth last year, would make them see that more crochet and needle craft booths would be nice. I wasted a lot of time and money preparing for AA, and yes, I was very disappointed that I didn't get in.
That is not a guilt trip, its just a fact of life. I put money into something I thought would pay off, and was on the losing end. I could very well make it one, and list all the things I've lost because if not getting in, and then yes it would be a guilt trip.

Offline Transimage

• Sailor Scout
    • ooorangy@Tumblr
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 05:30:15 am »

Oh no, I'm not shutting down my business because I didn't get in. I'm not applying again because of the way things are run. I didn't say I was shutting down my whole business because I didn't get in. I was expecting to get in, yes, because the operators of AA stated they wanted variety and I fully believe that only having one crochet booth last year, would make them see that more crochet and needle craft booths would be nice. I wasted a lot of time and money preparing for AA, and yes, I was very disappointed that I didn't get in.
That is not a guilt trip, its just a fact of life. I put money into something I thought would pay off, and was on the losing end. I could very well make it one, and list all the things I've lost because if not getting in, and then yes it would be a guilt trip.

The very fact that you've mentioned "all the things I've lost because if not getting in" means your position has already taken the stance of a guilt trip. At this point an actual list would simply be laying it on a little thicker. Your original post, as well as several others after it, hardly reflect your purported sentiment:

I didn't get in, and i won't be trying for next year or any other year. Ill probably just be shutting down my shop anyways. preparing for this and then not getting in has kinda just turned me off to continuing selling. no one buys anything from me anyways so what's the point.
I do believe a lot of artists were ripped off. Its not meant as an insult at all, its just how it is. What Im saying was a rip off, is that the artists who did well there for the past several years got rejected, and several artist who have done well at other cons and wanted to try their hand at Kumo, got rejected. Good, well known artists, that would have secured an amazing turn out for next year, were turned away and now AA is going to pay for it.

Are you planning to refrain from applying to AA because your wares that "no one buys" didn't make it in, or because many other artists who "would have secured an amazing turn out" selling wares similar to yours didn't make it in? I don't see how you could stand behind both reasons unless you included yourself in the latter category... despite your self-depreciating attitude toward your sales.

We are all in this business because we understand the risks. Passive bias in a juried Artist Alley, especially in a convention growing as quickly as this one, is considered a commonly expected risk; everyone who applied, as I understand it, accepted this risk, as well as the perfectly reasonable reality that we might not make it in, even if for reasons we dislike.

You invested in an opportunity that was never guaranteed to you in the first place. That was your choice, and your mistake. You have the right to be upset about it. You have the right to raise concerns about how the Alley is run. However, you do not have the right to make callous assumptions about the staff, the convention, and artists both accepted and not accepted, on behalf of your individual losses due to risks that you willingly took on. "Artists were ripped off" and "AA is going to pay for it" sound less related to your concerns about AA bias and more related to your own, and perhaps others', personal disappointment.

I suggest you follow your own advice regarding the AA staffers' biases:
If they are going to let an opinion ruin their fun and happiness of getting in, then they shouldnt be in a business where people are going to be upset a lot about having their chance taken away from them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:00:58 am by Transimage »

Offline Lysenis

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2013, 03:27:58 pm »
Having seen AA I can say I am dissapointed. I saw less artists and more dealers. Its like most of the artists dropped or something because there were roughly 15ish AA booths. Most of which had multiple tables. Honestly I feel sad over this.

On the discussion that Tala brought up, lets use my business. I do custom chain maille items as well as my basic stock. Now I have asked if Kumoricon has ever had a chain maille artisian before, I was told that they never had one before. Now this is something that is rare in and of it self. How does something that you never had before not make muster?

Regardless it is over. I think I will start a "Opinions of Kumo 2013 AA" and watch where that leads.

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2013, 01:21:44 am »
The reason you saw "less artists and more dealers" is because the Dealer's Hall is /right/ next to the Artists Alley and there are many, /many/ more vendors than artists. This is true for nearly every convention you go to.

We have 30+ individual artists/groups in AA this weekend; are you certain you walked through all of it?

As has been stated multiple times by multiple people in the last two months, there are /many/ reasons why an artist isn't brought into AA. Just because it is something we haven't had before, that doesn't automatically give them an in for the year they apply. Yes, it gives them a good chance, but there are multiple factors involved.

And I will be creating a Rant and Rave thread once the weekend is over for artists and attendees to comment on; your thread will be unnecessary.

-Krys
2012-14- Assistant Artist Alley Coordinator
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline nerdtastic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2013, 01:25:44 am »

And I will be creating a Rant and Rave thread once the weekend is over for artists and attendees to comment on; your thread will be unnecessary.

-Krys

Wow. lol

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2013, 02:41:02 am »
Well, that was rude.

I have to say I was disappointed, just like I thought I would be. Not just by the AA though, so that was new. Just with the haul in general. The vendors were lacking in a lot of anime and other Japanese culture stuff. I saw a lot of dolly stuff, a lot of plushies, and a lot of the same things over and over.
With AA, I actually was just wondering around, looking at everything before buying anything, and several people passed me saying things like "I saw that last year," "This isnt worth it," or, (insert sarcasm here) my absolute favorite, "That sucked."
Honestly, once I got to day zero, and I saw them setting up the vendors hall, I really wanted to be wrong and to eat my own words. I wanted to be able to say " I'm.sorry, I was wrong, Artist Alley was actually awesome, and I loved what I saw!" I really did. And when I walked in there, my stomach dropped and I was instantly sad because I could already see that I wasn't going to be wrong.
Maybe it was because the vendors were first. You had to walk through them to get to the artists. I would have put the artists up front, so you could see the handmade stuff first.
I saved up $100 for buying stuff from.AA because that's where i spent all my money last year, and I ended up spending only three dollars on buttons...
But, as it is the last day, I'm going back to get try and get more anyway.

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2013, 09:57:27 am »

-Krys

Wow. lol

I say that because an attendee started thread will be overruled by an official staff thread when the topics are the same thing. I simply don't want people to waste their time commenting on his thread when it will most likely be deleted when I post the official thread sometime after Tuesday.

-Krys
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2013, 11:03:33 am »
Or the person who started that thread can just change the name to "rant and rave" and its already done, or a mod can change the title
There are always threads that are very similar , it just happens.
By that logic should the "positives about kumoricon" be deleted because there will be a rant and Rave thread later?

Since there isn't a thread yet then it isn't a waste of time. I think (mods correct me if I am wrong ) the mod s don't just delete a thread when there is a duplicate, they can move the threads or posts over from the "opinions of kumoricon 2013 artist ally"  to the "rant and rave" thread whenever its made, if the mods think the threads are too similar.
*edited for spelling and clarification*
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 04:32:08 pm by superjaz »

Offline hieis_girl1

• Chibi
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2013, 05:20:22 pm »
It's not a matter of repetition or name changes. It's an official vs. unofficial situation. A thread started by someone who is not stuff makes it difficult for staff to actually moderate and keep things under control versus an actual staff-initiated and controlled thread.

-Krys
2007-2011- Attendee

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2013, 08:10:53 pm »
It's not a matter of repetition or name changes. It's an official vs. unofficial situation. A thread started by someone who is not stuff makes it difficult for staff to actually moderate and keep things under control versus an actual staff-initiated and controlled thread.

-Krys
Really since when?  If it's your preference, as it helps you keep better track of the thread if it's under your forum account that's understandable. The forums are big and it can be hard to find everything. Still, the moderators will just combine the posts from the other thread (which was started a day before you said you felt it would not be needed) into your official one, or lock it and include a link to where the posts are now located, not just delete the thread, as you said. 

But if your issue is based on simply the importance of an "official staff" started thread, I have been on this site a long time, and there have been tons of "official kumoricon" threads or threads that have been stickied by mods, which have been started by attendees, even official "rant and rave" threads have been started by attendees who simply didn't see one yet so they started one themselves.  Never have I seen one locked or deleted simply because a staff did not start it.

In addition, "staff-initiated and controlled thread"? I don't know if you meant it that way, but this sounds incredibly totalitarian. All threads are moderated the same, mainly (beside condensing thread duplicates or other technical issues that don't pertain to this) to make sure the the forum code of conduct is followed by staff and attendees alike. 

(Once again Moderators please correct me if I am mistaken on your policies/methods etc, I in no way claim know all the ins and outs of the massiveness of moderating the k-con forum, this is just as I have seen done on the forums from my personal experiences.)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 08:20:37 pm by superjaz »

Offline Lysenis

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2013, 10:14:02 am »
I don't think they like me very much around here. . .

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2013, 10:33:02 am »
Heh, you get that feeling too, huh?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2013, 11:16:43 am »
I know what ya need!
HUGS!

Offline Lysenis

• Cabbit
    • Facebook
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2013, 12:08:48 pm »
I know what ya need!
HUGS!

Mmmmmm hugs!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2013, 07:47:35 pm »
This thread has been locked in favor of the new Artists Alley 2013 Rant and Rave thread.

As a clarification about moderation policy, we won't delete this thread--just locking for new posts.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor