Author Topic: 2013 Cosplay Chess Rules & Sign-ups  (Read 34092 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
2013 Cosplay Chess Rules & Sign-ups
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:43:54 pm »
Well, this may be a bit late since Nikkiolie already announced it  :) and some of you have already sent in forms, but...

Rules and registration forms for this year's Cosplay Chess can be found here: Rules  Registration Form

We are looking for 32 pieces and a couple of chess masters.  You do not have to know how to play chess to be a piece (it is much appreciated if you are wanting to be a chess master, at least the basic moves, since they are controlling the game.)

This is an unscripted, just-for-fun game.  My preference is that every one gets to participate, so don't be expecting the best game of chess ever... just entertaining  ;)

This is Cosplay Chess, so you character cosplay will be the deciding factor in who gets to participate.  This is not a first-come, first-serve sign-up, so you don't have to worry about submitting your form right away... it is more important that your cosplay is complete, and preferably well-known characters.  This is a separate event from the Cosplay Contest, so you will not be judged on the quality of the cosplay, or whether you made it yourself - you just need to be a recognizable character.

To sign-up to be a chess piece, you need to do the following:

You must include photos of you in your cosplay, or of your cosplay itself (I can't reiterate this enough, guys... if you don't send pics, you don't get to play).  Images of your character will not suffice.  Since this is not first-come, first-serve, you have time to wait until your cosplay is complete... there is no penalty for being one of the last ones to register.  You are also allowed to submit more than one cosplay (just submit a separate form for each.)

Also... if your "piece" is more than one person, please submit one form for each person, but indicate on your form that they are one "piece".  Due to space constraints on the board, I will limit the number of such pieces that will be accepted, and no more than 3 people to one "piece".

If you are interested in being a chess master, or want to help out in another way, please let us know by posting here or emailing chess@kumoricon.org.

Sign-ups will be open until August 24th.  Players will be notified of their team and position the week before con, and will be required to attend a pre-meeting before the event, which will be on Monday.  Please keep in mind... the timing of the pre-meeting is usually during hotel checkout, so factor that in to your plans.

If you have any questions, please post here or PM me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 11:44:41 pm by Jamiche »
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
Re: 2013 Cosplay Chess Rules & Sign-ups
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 12:26:58 am »
stupid question the probably doesn't need to be asked, but what if its a char that is recognizable by the items it uses? to be specific. i want to enter my own form of "the mayor/villager" from animal crossing new leaf. (im trying my hardest to get clothes and accesories as close as possible to items you can buy in game) i have great attack ideas for it but im not sure how recognizable it would be with out it being THE villager from the new smash bros games :/
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:25:31 pm »
I sent you an email about a friend and myself being Chess Masters. I haven't heard anything back yet and just wanted to know if you got it.
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 10:46:49 pm »
I sent you an email about a friend and myself being Chess Masters. I haven't heard anything back yet and just wanted to know if you got it.

I did.  I am still going through the emails I've recently received, so you should be getting a response soon.  As we get closer to con things start get really busy.  Thanks for all your patience :)

stupid question the probably doesn't need to be asked, but what if its a char that is recognizable by the items it uses? to be specific. i want to enter my own form of "the mayor/villager" from animal crossing new leaf. (im trying my hardest to get clothes and accesories as close as possible to items you can buy in game) i have great attack ideas for it but im not sure how recognizable it would be with out it being THE villager from the new smash bros games :/

I think it will depend on what you put together.  Give it a shot, and send your pics in :)

Offline Loli_Wolf

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 04:13:47 pm »
just sent in my form cant wait for cosplay chess this year hoping I make it in ^_^ and hoping to see a good vs evil it this years gonna be so fun
Life=anime / anime=life ~~> so be goofy, be happy, and be proud to show of that inner anime nerd  =^~^=
Im cute and cuddly - but fearce like a wolf - bite first snuggle after

Offline dark4ever

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr ahoy!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 07:36:55 pm »
I think I'm going to sit the game out this year, but I'd love to help with crowd control or organizing or something. I could be a ninja 8D
Kumoricon 2019:
Axel (Kingdom Hearts 3, end game outfit)
Kylo Ren (Star Wars)
Keyleth (Critical Role, opening look)

Offline AshleyMonMon

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 10:26:45 am »
 My little sister and I are almost finished filling out the forms to be a chess piece. But we don't have our badges yet. :(
Kumoricon 2015

Yuki Cross (Human and Vampire)

XD

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 03:18:21 pm »
If you don't have a badge yet to fill in the badge number, just put N/A for now. And when you email your forms in, just state that you don't have your badges yet, but will have them by Kumo. That's all they need to know is that you will have your badge for Day 3 confirmed so they can know you'll be there.

By the way, you are looking at one of your Chess Masters!!!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Citael

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 10:03:01 pm »
YAY FOR CHESS MASTERS CONGRATS! -high fives :D-

I'll be submitting my form, along with my friend's, soon~ We'll be doing Dogs (myself as Haine/Heine and my friend as Badou) and hopefully we'll be pieces this year <3  so excited for this year!

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:08:47 am »
sent in one i finally decided on @.@ woooooooo!
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Loli_Wolf

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 04:29:43 pm »
If you don't have a badge yet to fill in the badge number, just put N/A for now. And when you email your forms in, just state that you don't have your badges yet, but will have them by Kumo. That's all they need to know is that you will have your badge for Day 3 confirmed so they can know you'll be there.

By the way, you are looking at one of your Chess Masters!!!
Oh nice congrats if i make it in as a chess piece I hope I am under your control since I was on your team last year ^_^
Life=anime / anime=life ~~> so be goofy, be happy, and be proud to show of that inner anime nerd  =^~^=

Offline baka-imouto

• Chibi
    • Tumblr
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 09:58:32 pm »
Entered as Momiji from Fruits Basket!! This year, I'll definitely be there on time!! READ: The hotel I'm staying in is NOT 10 miles away from the con again!!! >:C
Kumoricon 2016: (Days are undecided so far)

Halloween 2010 Prussia (In progress- prop and cosplay started)
Halloween 2011 slave Prussia (In progress- cosplay finished and props started)
Cardverse Prussia (Well.. I have the pattern. -shrugs-)

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Rekkazor (Rekka's Cosplay Page)
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2013, 06:28:11 pm »
I want to enter Rivaille, 3-D moving gear and all, if I can finish him before the deadline. Otherwise I'm not sure who I'd enter. >_>;;
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2013, 01:26:48 pm »
I want to enter Rivaille, 3-D moving gear and all, if I can finish him before the deadline. Otherwise I'm not sure who I'd enter. >_>;;
DO EEET! I JUST ENTERED SASHA!

Offline Sunnybrook1

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Sunnybrook's dA Account
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:53 am »
I must be crazy, going to a convention the week before I move cross-country...but yay, lets have fun y'all! :D

Three words - Darth No Face  8)

Offline Prince McKupo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 10:54:19 am »
I really want to submit my moogle mascot as a chess piece with its humanized form underneath as a special EX mode transformation...but alas, both aren't completely ready yet for photos (the head's taking a while).  Maybe another week (hopefully!), so I'm probably gonna submit my entry just under the wire.

The mascot will still look like the cute moogle everyone's used to, but he fights with underhanded tactics (shanking with a Tonberry's knife, smashing the opponent over the head with his save sign, fake out to scare the opponent then finish off with a headshot execution, suffocation against his body, throwing a moogle doll, etc), so I'm kinda hoping he'll be placed on the evil side.  (^o^)

Prince McKupo is back in the action, baby!  Kupo!  Now, as for my "cooling down" cosplay: Jude Mathis, with both his Xillia 1 (100%) and Xillia 2 (100%) outfits.

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 03:37:53 pm »
Took me forever, but I finally applied as the evil Medusa Gorgon!  Who is evil.  And did I mention she's evil?

*crosses fingers and prays for good vs evil this year*
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2013, 02:15:37 pm »
I"m doing Zoe if I can finish the gear in time WOULD YOU WANT TO TEAM UP FOR A PIECE IF WE BOTH CAN?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »
I"m doing Zoe if I can finish the gear in time WOULD YOU WANT TO TEAM UP FOR A PIECE IF WE BOTH CAN?
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF WE CAN ALL JOIN TOGETHER! If I make it in as Sasha I have a titan that said he would be my special attack.

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »
IT WOULD BE GREAT IF WE CAN ALL JOIN TOGETHER! If I make it in as Sasha I have a titan that said he would be my special attack.
AMG YEAH LMAO I"M LAUGHING CAUSE IF YOU AND I WERE TO MOVE AROUND AT THE SAME TIME PEOPLE ARE GONNA CONFUSE SASHA AND ZOE YOU HAVE A TITAN? THAT'S REALLY COOL.

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 05:56:11 pm »

OMG I would love that ;u; I'm starting to wonder if I'll have all my outfit done by the deadline to enter though...it's soo soon bawww

But I'm also 5'7" and unless you're super tall I'll look strange standing next to you because Levi isn't tall ._. /saddu.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:57:41 pm by sk_chan »
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 07:46:24 pm »

OMG I would love that ;u; I'm starting to wonder if I'll have all my outfit done by the deadline to enter though...it's soo soon bawww

But I'm also 5'7" and unless you're super tall I'll look strange standing next to you because Levi isn't tall ._. /saddu.

OH FFF oh man I'm only like 5'1 I'm so short I better go find some elevator boots LOL

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 07:56:28 pm »

OH FFF oh man I'm only like 5'1 I'm so short I better go find some elevator boots LOL

LOL oh mannn
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2013, 05:08:10 pm »

I was going to say though, if you don't mind that I don't mind pairing up. Just lemme know. I'm not sure how that works in the application process, though. I'm probably going to be submitting Saturday but I'm determined to get this done!
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 11:09:59 pm »

I was going to say though, if you don't mind that I don't mind pairing up. Just lemme know. I'm not sure how that works in the application process, though. I'm probably going to be submitting Saturday but I'm determined to get this done!

LOL I'm not sure if I'll get it done in time but if I do I"ll let you know;; My gear will probably be really simplified since I"m running lower on time and materials

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2013, 08:30:47 am »
Last day to submit Cosplay Chess forms is tomorrow!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 11:19:13 am by nikkiolie »

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2013, 12:57:27 pm »
I CAN MAKE IT IF I JUST FIGURE OUT WHAT TO MAKE THE BELT OUT OF TO HOLD THE GEAR TOGETHER LOL ;;

Offline Loli_Wolf

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2013, 02:56:38 pm »
ooohhhh im so excited now just this weekend and next week to suffer through and then the wonderfulness happens hehehe im starting to get all tense wondering if chess will be good verses evil this year it will awesome if it is

Offline meb9000

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2013, 08:58:30 pm »
I'm definitely very excited to see if either of my cosplays get picked. If I get picked, I'm definitely gonna put some work in towards drafting some good battle ideas.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2013, 12:39:36 pm »
Hey guys,

I have FINALLY responded to all the chess piece applications I have received, so if you didn't get a response, I didn't get your form.

If you have not sent in your form yet, just a reminder that you have until midnight tonite to do so.  And please, make sure you send in pictures of your cosplay.  If I don't get them by the time I start picking teams, I won't be able to consider your cosplay.

We have some good looking pieces this year... oh decisions, decisions...

Offline Loli_Wolf

• Cabbit
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2013, 04:03:47 pm »
I got a response email and responded to it like asked so I'm good hehe
AAAAHHHH from tomorrow through the entire week I'm gonna be checking here for the teams list im so excited this year is gonna be so funny

Offline AshleyMonMon

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2013, 06:56:44 pm »
I hope my sister and I get to be chess pieces!!! It will be EPIC!!! Can't wait for team postings!
Kumoricon 2015

Yuki Cross (Human and Vampire)

XD

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2013, 07:19:08 pm »
I'm going to be flouncing about as Luna. And sparkly. Prepare for sparkles.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2013, 11:43:08 pm »
eeeeeee so excitedi dont even. got my reply :)
kumoicon 2013:

Offline meb9000

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2013, 01:57:47 am »
When you say you got your reply, does that mean the teams have been chosen already, or that your application was successfully received?

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2013, 09:04:05 am »
Just that the application was received. Most of the time the teams will be posted on the forums then Jaki will send out emails saying that you got in.

Offline meb9000

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2013, 09:35:47 am »
Just that the application was received. Most of the time the teams will be posted on the forums then Jaki will send out emails saying that you got in.

Thanks for the clarification!

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2013, 12:41:43 pm »
I sent it right at 12 last night. @______________@ Attached the application and three photos of my Levi cosplay. I hope it got to you, cuz I worked my butt off yesterday and the day before trying to get this thing done lol ><;;
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2013, 12:58:40 pm »
sk_chan: You made it just on time QvQ! GJ!!

Offline Prince McKupo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2013, 10:52:04 am »
I am quite certain that I sent in my application before midnight, but I haven't received a reply all weekend...Antsy this little moogle is, kupo.
Prince McKupo is back in the action, baby!  Kupo!  Now, as for my "cooling down" cosplay: Jude Mathis, with both his Xillia 1 (100%) and Xillia 2 (100%) outfits.

Offline YUme

• Sailor Scout
    • dA
« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »
Prince McKupo: Same is happening with me I'm sure they got it though;;

Offline V.K.Lover93

• Cabbit
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2013, 11:23:26 pm »
I got my prop finished just in time to get pictures done, I was so happy!! However, my photographer's cemera died on my second  photo shoot so I didn't get as many pictures  as I wanted. I still got my application in on time which makes me really happy but now playing the waiting game which sucks.... Chelsea!! I can't wait to see ya girl!! I hope we get on the same team this year, that will be so cool!!

Vanna The Angel Coaplay

Offline Pixie

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2013, 09:18:41 am »
Kumoricon is THREE DAYS away!

*cue moon with creepy face*

Please, please tell me that the team postings are going to appear today!  Or tomorrow, at the very latest, because team postings the day before Kumoricon (I'm counting day 0) will absolutely fry my nerves!
HOW DARE YOU ACCUSE ME OF BEING NORMAL!!!!
I am weird and proud of it. The concept of "blending in" scares me.

Kumoricon 2013 Cosplays:
Dragonite (Pokemon)
Medusa (Soul Eater)
Fluttershy (My Little Pony)

Offline meb9000

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2013, 09:39:18 am »
Yeah, I definitely hope the announcement comes today, I want to be able to have time to prep some battle lines if I'm chosen...

Offline Loli_Wolf

• Cabbit
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2013, 01:49:46 pm »
The days can't go by fast enough I can't wait I've been thinking of lines to say as well if I get picked and I'm glad you finished your scythe savanna I'm excited to see how it turned out I'm sure it its gonna look great just hope its not to heavy hehe

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #45 on: August 27, 2013, 02:12:26 pm »
I'd like to know what to pack. LOL I don't think I will take Date if he doesn't get in. There are a lot of parts to that costume and I want to remake lots of it x.x

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #46 on: August 27, 2013, 04:31:21 pm »
Aaron and I need to figure out jokes...
Hopefully we'll know tonight so we can do some research
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline sk_chan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: August 27, 2013, 04:53:26 pm »
sk_chan: You made it just on time QvQ! GJ!!

Thanks!! >u< Hopefully we made it in =3
KUMORICON 2015 COSPLAYS!

Kageyama (Haikyuu!)
Karma (AssClass)
Ryuuko ep. 1 ver. (KLK)
Others...

Offline Prince McKupo

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2013, 05:25:03 pm »
I still never received any reply for my application... Guess no moogle for chess this year, boo-hoo-kupo... :'(

Offline PockyReno

• Chibi
    • My DA Account
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2013, 07:55:31 pm »
I entered as Reno, still waiting to see the teams!! So amped for this! :D
Kumoricon 2013:
Reno - FFVII Advent Children
Secret Police Kaito - Vocaloid
My Mayor - Animal Crossing New Leaf